Create Account

Unpopular and unsolicited opinion about SMJHL franchises.

They don't belong in big cities. It makes more sense for the SMJHL to be a smaller regional league, not an AHL competitor. Halifax is the absolute largest sized metropolitan area that should host an SMJHL franchise.

Detroit, Montreal, St. Louis, Vancouver, Anaheim and Colorado should all be moved to smaller, rural localities in the north of the continent. My list of suggested places to go includes,

Newfoundland,
Sherbrooke,
Kingston,
Kitchener,
Windsor,
Sault Ste Marie,
Thunder Bay,
Duluth,
Brandon,
Bismarck,
Regina,
Saskatoon,
Lloydminster,
Red Deer,
Fort McMurray.

A more extreme interpretation would see a return to the NWJHL, where even Halifax moves, and every name east of Thunder Bay is knocked off this list.

[Image: avakaelsig.gif]

I do agree that is a unpopular opinion

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

Is Thunder Bay near Electric Avenue?

12-30-2018, 08:53 PMWhite Cornerback Wrote: Is Thunder Bay near Electric Avenue?

Yes

Fort McMurray Barons would be a great franchise

[Image: wMFFUe4.gif]

Barracuda S56 1st Overall Barracuda

Gary Grease Career Stats: Click Here
Graphics Shop: Click Here

[Image: CsnVET2.png]  Barracuda Russia Barracuda  [Image: c8B2LE3.png]

@Nobody time to make your mark and force relocate and rebrand all the SMJHL teams.

Leggo

RETIRED

(This post was last modified: 12-30-2018, 09:17 PM by O4L.)

Actually like your idea but think its a bit late to move some of the teams since a lot of them have storied histories specifically MTL, VAN and DET. With that being said I think if someone applied for an expansion team in any of those cities and have a great concept then the SMJHL team should move (I say that as proud alumni of MTL and VAN).

My unpopular idea is

Contract smjhl back to 6 teams (can go back to 8 teams in reddit draft years)
Create new junior league with 6 teams for send-downs +2 to play in until ready for the SHL (doesn't need cap, maybe something like 800), this year that league would have 44 players at or over cap on top of additional players within 50 tpe of cap that have already spent 2 years in SMJHL
Keep them in same discord as their original junior team and have shared connection with smjhl teams so the discords stay active
Turn smjhl back into rookie league where rookies first-gens can light it up before transitioning into AHL like league where they can continue to light it up until ready for SHL.

Might not need any of this with SHL expansion potentially fixing our logjam problems but thought I might as well post the idea.

[Image: 57879_s.gif]
[Image: 37742_s.gif]
[Image: jov7Yk9.png]

"“HA HA! THIS GAME WILL NEVER END! I POSSESS THE SOUL OF EVERY GOALIE ON TEAM B!! CREW 4 LIFE!! SIGN WITH EDMONTON FOR THE CUP!!!” cackled Belial as he placed a Fedora on his head."
SMJHL Commisioner S17-S26
Calgary Dragons GM S14-S23

Saskatoon Gorlabs

[Image: Marius_buffalo.png]

08-24-2018, 01:08 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: Ah yes, the veteran meme player. A surefire bet for maybe 400 TPE Tongue
05-23-2020, 02:25 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: Scoop AINEC
[Image: Skree.gif] [Image: Skree.gif] [Image: Skree.gif]

[Image: Poppity.png]
^^^^^ Thank you JSSSSS
[Image: Poopity_Scoop_1.png]
^^^^Credits to Snussu^^^^

[Image: Scoop.png]

How is Wood Buffalo not on your list

[Image: 17307_s.gif]

StarsnorwayRenegades // PLAYER PAGE || UPDATES \\ RenegadesnorwayStars

Let's be honest, St Louis is fine. The blues are one St Louis NBA team away from relocating to Houston

12-30-2018, 09:13 PMO4L Wrote: Actually like your idea but think its a bit late to move some of the teams since a lot of them have storied histories specifically MTL, VAN and DET. With that being said I think if someone applied for an expansion team in any of those cities and have a great concept then the SMJHL team should move (I say that as proud alumni of MTL and VAN).

My unpopular idea is

Contract smjhl back to 6 teams (can go back to 8 teams in reddit draft years)
Create new junior league with 6 teams for send-downs +2 to play in until ready for the SHL (doesn't need cap, maybe something like 800), this year that league would have 44 players at or over cap on top of additional players within 50 tpe of cap that have already spent 2 years in SMJHL
Keep them in same discord as their original junior team and have shared connection with smjhl teams so the discords stay active
Turn smjhl back into rookie league where rookies first-gens can light it up before transitioning into AHL like league where they can continue to light it up until ready for SHL.

Might not need any of this with SHL expansion potentially fixing our logjam problems but thought I might as well post the idea.

This should be its own post.
I think it's pretty fire and deserves.a through discussion.

RETIRED

12-30-2018, 09:14 PMBaelor Swift Wrote: Saskatoon Gorlabs

Come now, he's not even the worst our city has to offer Wink

[Image: Klaus2.jpg]

12-30-2018, 09:16 PMraymond3000 Wrote: How is Wood Buffalo not on your list
I included Fort McMurray, and iirc Wood Buffalo is the part of Fort McMurray that burned to the ground.

Lowkey agree with this to an extent, but it’s not as though junior leagues don’t have team in big cities. Vancouver Giants, Calgary Hitmen, and the Seattle Thunderbirds in the WHL, as well as the Ottawa 67s in the OHL all attest to that

Alex Winters (retired)
Matej Winters (retired)
Dominik Winters
S45 Jesster Trophy Winner
Challenge Cup Winning Goal Club: S52

12-30-2018, 09:48 PMAvakael Wrote:
12-30-2018, 09:16 PMraymond3000 Wrote: How is Wood Buffalo not on your list
I included Fort McMurray, and iirc Wood Buffalo is the part of Fort McMurray that burned to the ground.

It's a bit of a meme on /r/hockey

[Image: 17307_s.gif]

StarsnorwayRenegades // PLAYER PAGE || UPDATES \\ RenegadesnorwayStars