Create Account

SMJHL expansion idea
(This post was last modified: 12-31-2018, 12:31 PM by O4L.)

Wasn't originally going to post this in its own thread but since it's gotten some positive feedback in the other thread thought I might as well.

Keep in mind that this idea maybe unpopular especially if you're an expansion team but this will end up creating 2 new GM jobs in the long-run. This may also no longer be needed if expansion fixes the prospect log-jam but thought it was at least worth posting for the discussion.

Contract SMJHL back to 6 teams (can go back to 8 teams in reddit draft years).

Create new ahl-like junior league with 6 teams for send-downs +2 to play in until ready for the SHL (doesn't need cap, maybe something like 800), after doing a quick check of roster threads this year that league would have 44 players at or over cap on top of additional players within 50 tpe of cap that have already spent 2 years in SMJHL.

Keep them in same discord as their original junior team and have shared connection with smjhl teams so the discords stay active and have discussion about both leagues.

This would turn the SMJHL back into a true rookie league that allows new members to light it up and develop over the course of the season before transitioning into the AHL like league where they can continue to light it up until ready for the SHL.

This would also help the send-downs that keep getting sent down because instead of being stuck at 350 for years they can add attributes to their players and see what works and what doesn't before going up to the SHL.

GMs in the send-downs league would be allowed to trade players in exchange for prospect rights. So say this season the idea was implemented and Detroit's "ahl team" is struggling to get wins and they're scared Mayuu's player is going to play in the SHL next season, they could trade his player for the rights to a S45 player who has yet to finish his 2 seasons in the SMJHL and likely get him next season when his SHL team sends him down. You'd have to have some kind of rules set in place so both the SMJHL GMs and the "AHL" GMs agree on trades like this and the GMs would be working together as a unit.

You could also potentially stay at 8 teams in the SMJHL but then you'd need to run a dispersal draft for two of the teams because running 8 teams in the AHL league might be a bit tough with the actives being a bit too spread out. Obviously this idea would take a lot of work to implement and could probably still use a lot of tweaking but I think if the log-jam continues it's at least an interesting idea.

tldr; divide the SMJHL into 2 leagues, one where rookies and draft year +1s play and one for all the older send-downs that aren't good enough for the SHL yet

[Image: 57879_s.gif]
[Image: 37742_s.gif]
[Image: jov7Yk9.png]

"“HA HA! THIS GAME WILL NEVER END! I POSSESS THE SOUL OF EVERY GOALIE ON TEAM B!! CREW 4 LIFE!! SIGN WITH EDMONTON FOR THE CUP!!!” cackled Belial as he placed a Fedora on his head."
SMJHL Commisioner S17-S26
Calgary Dragons GM S14-S23

As a newbie, I like this

[Image: owenm43.gif]
[Image: 9vAsr7c.png]

As a former Head Commish, I like this

As a former HO member and current irrelevant SHL member, I like this

Your mental health is just as important as your physical health. Please take care of it. Here are some helpful links just in case.

Algonquin College Student Support Services - 613-727-4723
Crisis Text Line - Text 'HOME' to 741741
Distress Centre Ottawa and Region - 613-288-3311
Good2Talk - 1-866-925-5454
Kid's Help Phone - 1-800-668-6868
Mental Health Hotline Ontario - 1-866-531-2600
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline - 1-800-273-8255

Click here for a list of crisis centres within Canada
Suicide Prevention Resource Centre
Suicide Awareness Voices of Education

If you have the contact info to your local mental help centres, let me know!

--------------------
[Image: 34987_s.gif]
Player Page | Updates

[Image: 8y3FJne.jpg][Image: kA0CbGn.png][Image: aGT9Qsn.png]

Even more depth and make the SHL even more prestigious in the process? Hells yeah.

[Image: first.png]
[img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/rWt4AB3.png[/img][img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/rWt4AB3.png[/img]
Maxime Bouchard
Armada Dragons Info - Updates  Dragons Armada
Richard Dickbutt McFudderdudder II
Armada Info - Updates Armada

As a Kit I love this

[Image: 34964_s.gif]
[Image: thd650h.png]
Affiliate of:
syndicate Steelhawks Whalers

As a former SMJHL HO and current SMJHL GM. I am.

[Image: Zoone16.gif]

[Image: 9QVaMRC.png] [Image: canybyK.png] [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

It's an intriguing idea, if I remember correctly something similar was already suggested in the past but back then we didn't nearly have the numbers to support this, now we might. However, I think there are still some issues with this that make me a bit less enthusiastic than you guys.

First of all, I don't see what's wrong with the SMJHL in the first place. What's with all the people coming in here demanding radical changes to our junior system when it's the healthiest it has ever been? I see a lot of older or returning members talking about the good old days of the SMJHL of the past, but in my opinion todays SMJHL is way superior to the one we had back in the day. Teams and LR are more active, people are more engaged and have a stronger connection to their junior franchise, retention feels better, alumni care about their teams etc. I don't see why we are so eager to rip people out of that enviroment just because we have one big draft class now that needs a lot of space. Space that a) we are already creating through expansion and b) we might not need anymore a season or two down the line when people from this class have started going inactive in significant numbers.

Also, contraction sucks. This would kill not just the two new SMJHL teams but also two of very historic SMJHL franchises. Even if you keep those teams around by moving them "up" to our new feeder league then that still isn't nearly the same. You are basically destroying 2-4 SMJHL teams by dispersing their roster and invalidating the work people have put into their teams in recent seasons etc.

And quite frankly, this new AHL-like league doesn't seem like one that people would be particularly interested to play in, at least I wouldn't. Most people stay down 2-3 seasons with their junior team because they like their junior team, not because they want to avoid the SHL at any cost. Sure there might be some who might want to maximize their time before the SHL to have the best shot at a Jesster or others whose SHL-team doesn't have room for them, but I'd argue that that isn't the majority. Most people who choose to spend extra time in juniors choose to do so because they like juniors. If I'm not allowed a second send-down season with my junior team then I might just as well skip the AHL and move right up to the SHL. I doubt we could fill 6 teams, or around 60 player spots, probably even more, with people who are "too good" for juniors but who don't want to be in the SHL.

It's not a bad idea overall and I do see the appeal of it for sure. I just think that there are more problems with it than people might realize at first sight and, more importantly, I don't quite see why it would be necessary in the first place because the SMJHL is healthier than it ever was.

i like

[Image: 3.png]

I'm a fan of this idea.

[Image: TommySalami.gif]

Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard

EDM All-Time Leader in Goals, Assists and Points

I wouldn't be opposed to having a minor team but we would need to see the full extent of the SHL expansion before we tackle this imo.

[Image: SS19INy.jpg]

[Image: d9J5DHT.png]  [Image: 16PgOBm.png]

12-31-2018, 01:25 PMDangles13 Wrote: I wouldn't be opposed to having a minor team but we would need to see the full extent of the SHL expansion before we tackle this imo.

I think so too , from over 150 Draftees only 1/3 have done the holiday pt. I think we should wait how many real new players we have after this season

[Image: image.png][Image: image.png][Image: image.png][Image: image.png][Image: image.png]

12-31-2018, 01:25 PMDangles13 Wrote: I wouldn't be opposed to having a minor team but we would need to see the full extent of the SHL expansion before we tackle this imo.

Agreed, although I would assume Ofer isnt saying to implement this in S46.

This is an awesome idea! A perspective that hasn't been brought up yet is that a league at this tweener level increases the value of 3rd round picks or people that don't grow at the maximum rate (just ACs, not every PT, etc.). Also, maybe if I'm tired of my build or something comes up and I want to take a break, I can stay at the max "AHL" level and actually help out a team!

I'm only in favor of expansion if Luke is GM bb

[Image: S3zuZxo.png]
[Image: 10cjae8.png]

I'm intrigued. Hypothetically, let's play this out.

New SMJHL: 6 teams
Kelowna Knights
Halifax Raiders
Anchorage Armada
Niagara Revolutionaires
Cedar Rapids Crunchberries (my pet project <3)
Bismarck Explorers

Sim Minor Hockey League (SMHL): 6 teams
Detroit Falcons
St. Louis Scarecrows
Colorado Raptors
Vancouver Whalers
Montreal Militia
Atlanta Trash Birds

SHL: 14 teams + 2 expansion, let's say Chicago/Philadelphia for argument's sake

Interesting.

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]