Create Account

PGS S46 Game 5: Detroit vs Anaheim

Falcons Detroit Falcons vs Anaheim Outlaws Outlaws

GAME LINK

Welcome game 5 of season 46 of the SMJHL! This game was a clash of the Detroit Falcons against the home team, the Anaheim Outlaws. Last season, Detroit had the most overall wins and tied for most overall points scored during the regular season. The Falcons played their way through the playoffs and finished as runner-ups for the cup, losing to the St. Louis Scarecrows in the finals. Anaheim finished the regular season in the bottom three for wins with a 9-16-0 record for home games. Now, as the first game of the new season for both teams, they were itching to put their new strategies and rosters to the test after a fresh new SMJHL draft.

Before we begin, lets take a quick look at the starting lines:

Falcons DETROIT Falcons

Marc Palicka - LW | Raino Kyllonen - C | Kit Smeb - RW

Stolp Skottson - D | Jimmy Cahill - D

Jakub Hasek - G

Outlaws ANAHEIM Outlaws

Collin Gibbles - LW | Kristers Dzelme - C | Hiro Fujikawa - RW

Mathias Seger - D | Osbert Whacker - D

Mike Hunt - G

1st Period

The first period started with a bang: Dzelme won the neutral faceoff and his right wing, Fujikawa, took his first shot which resulted in a goal to the Outlaws in the first 12 seconds. For another 10 minutes there was back and forth between the teams, with each goalie doing a good job of shutting down the plays and reducing momentum. The ever-hard-to-pronounce Przemysław Brzeszczyczkiewicz got a penalty for hooking, but Detroit was successfully able to kill the penalty. Half-way through the period, and within 2 minutes from each other, the forwards Dylon McIntyre and Martijn Westbroek, both from the fourth line, scored goals for Anaheim. There were 2 more non-overlapping penalties, but both teams put up solid defenses while short-handed. In all, the first period was a good offensive performance for Anaheim.

Goal Recap:

Outlaws Anaheim Outlaws, Hiro Fujikawa 1 (Osbert Whacker 1) at 0:12
Outlaws Anaheim Outlaws, Dylon McIntyre 1 (Osbert Whacker 2, Mathias Seger 1) at 10:40
Outlaws Anaheim Outlaws, Martijn Westbroek 1 (Corey Kennedy 1, Thomas Speardane 1) at 12:29

2nd Period

The beginning of the second period was somewhat uneventful. However, around the 5 minute mark the Falcons started to heat up. Franz cooper threw his body around and was able to wrestle possession of the puck from Anaheim to bring the offense into the Outlaws zone. After a save by Hunt, Raino Kyllonen (Det) got the face-off to Kit Smeb, who took a shot which Kyllonen deflected into the goal, putting the Falcons on the board. About 8 minutes later, Kyllonen won another Outlaw-zone face-off and immediately scored after retrieving Kit Smeb's loose puck. And again, only a minute later, Zvejnieks's face-off win to Franz Cooper secured another goal for Detroit. Detroit's use of the offensive-zone face-off 1-2 punch in the second period tied it up nicely to make a more exciting and competitive game.

Goal Recap:

Falcons Detroit Falcons, Raino Kyllonen 1 (Kit Smeb 1) at 5:07
Falcons Detroit Falcons, Raino Kyllonen 2 (Kit Smeb 2) at 13:23
Falcons Detroit Falcons, Franz Cooper 1 (Kalvins Zvejnieks 1) at 14:32

3rd Period

Within the first two minutes of the third period, Collin Gibbles scored a goal for Anaheim. For the next 14 minutes, things got heated between Detroit and Anaheim, incurring three more penalties. Again, both teams put up solid defenses while short-handed, as neither team was able to convert a penalty into a goal. By the 17 minute mark, Gabster TheMagnificent had scored a sneak-attack goal for Detroit after Mike Hunt hadn't needed to save a shot for 7 minutes. With the game now tied at 4 - 4, the game went into overtime.

Goal Recap:

Outlaws Anaheim Outlaws, Collin Gibbles 1 (Osbert Whacker 3) at 1:27
Falcons Detroit Falcons, Gabster TheMagnificent 1 (Stolp Skottson 1, Espen Knutsen Jr. 1) at 16:33

Overtime

Overtime was fairly uneventful. Both teams put up such solid defenses that only 1 shot made it to a goalie, Hasek, who stopped it without rebound.

Shootout

In the shootout, Marc Palicka, Franz Cooper, and Kit Smeb (Det) went up against Mike Hunt (Ana) while Hiro Fujikawa, Jerry Mander, and Max Rockatansky (Ana) went up against Jakub Hasek (Det). Hasek stopped every shot for Detroit, and Hunt let in 1 shot by Cooper to lead to a Detroit win over Anaheim.

Goal Recap:

Falcons Detroit Falcons, Franz Cooper in Round #2

Conclusion

Overall, both teams showed off their new rosters by putting on a clinic in penalty killing and displaying their teams' aptitude for carrying momentum through, even in disheartening 0 - 3 situations. The Falcons show off their champion-level roster not only with a win, but by also forcing Anaheim's goaltending to face 10 more shots than their own netminder. This could not have been easy on Mike Hunt, which likely contributed to Cooper's game-winning goal in the shootout.

Three Stars:

Falcons 1 - Raino Kyllonen (DET)
Outlaws 2 - Osbert Whacker (ANA)
Outlaws 3 - Collin Gibbles (ANA)

Final Score

Detroit Falcons 5 - Anaheim Outlaws 4 (SO)

hodOOOOr'hOOOdoooooooor hoooodor hOOdOOORRRR, Hooooooodooooorrrr HoooooddddddddoooooooRRRR

SMJHL Stats || SHL Stats
[Image: YZjkK9Q.png] PORTAL [Image: rwqM7d3.png]
Berserkers Elk Falcons Renegades Germany

Stats Pre-S53 || Stats S53+
[Image: yXVPZSm.png] [Image: updates2.png]
Outlaws Switzerland Wolfpack
S53 All-Star and Richan Trophy Nominee
S60 Jeff Dar Trophy Winner
Never forget

What the fuck. Are there any goaltending in this game? How do you throw a two goal lead like that? What are the coaches doing? Those two Kyllonen goals were absolute flukes. Kit Smeb should never have had any where near 2 points. Don't even get me started at that Martijn Westbroek goal, the guy's shot is a muffin. Also, we have to talk about the reffing, it's absolute atrocious this game. The three stars for this game for me

1) The refs: Basically helped Detroit win this game
2) The goaltenders of their respective teams the 2nd star of the other team: Absolutely horrifying
3) Bleach: because that's how I got through this game (as well as writing this).

Discord are for plebs
(This post was last modified: 03-06-2019, 11:56 AM by SDCore.)

Comment 1: Period by Period Domination. Each period was dominated by one team in the scoring category. The Anaheim Outlaws started off really strong in the first with a goal 0:12 seconds into the period. They continued this domination halfway through by adding another goal. Not very long later they got their 3rd goal of the period. Not be out done however, Detriot would come out strong in the second period. They would manage to score 3 goals themselves in a dominating second period. The third period however was split with each team scoring a goal a piece. The game would eventually go to overtime, where a shootout would decide it, but the big story here is the complete offensive swings by the two teams in the first 2 periods.

Comment 2: Shootout.  This game ended in a shoot out between the two teams. This was an interesting way to end the game, as it was a very high scoring and fast paced game to start. As things started to wrap up in the third, the goal scoring eventually dried up with the teams buckling down on defense. The shootout was fairly tight as the goalies where pretty solid. Detriot's goalie Hasek got the win saving all the shots that the Outlaws took in the shootout frame. This was a fitting way to end what started out at a high flying and high scoring affair.

Comment 3: Penalty Kills. This was one of the most interesting stats in the game for me. Despite there being a total of 7 penalties taken, neither team were able to get a power play goal. Both clubs penalty killing units were perfect for the affair. Anaheim missing out on 4 power play opportunities, while Detroit missed out on capitalizing on 3 opportunities. Being such a high scoring game, to not have any power play goals really stood out to me. These teams were both able to lock it down defensively when they had to. If they could figure out how to play a stronger 5v5 defensive game then there seasons look bright.

[Image: sdcore.gif]

Player Page [Image: berserkers.png] [Image: syndicate2.png]Update Page

[Image: sgu3vVP.png]
[Image: 9vq7IEu.png]

Comment 1:

What was good and what was bad?
This was such an odd game. No period was like the other. Let's begin by looking at what was good about the game: easily the penalty kill. Both teams killed off all of their penalties - this doesn't get any better. A good player (arguably the best?) was Anaheim's Osbert Whacker. He was active in all situations including PP and PK logging big minutes (26:16!), but he also had an amazing night with three assists - the first one came just 12 seconds into the game! The bad? Detroit had a bad start, as they already were down one goal just 12 seconds into the first period. However, there's quite a bit more on the bad column. While the PK was great, the PP was horrible. Neither team managed to score on any of their attempts. Both goalies definitely could've wished for better games, except for Jakub Hasek who stopped all his shots on the shootout and consequently helped Detroit win the game (… or were they just lucky?). To sum it up: Anaheim had an amazing start of the game and then it just went downhill and they should be happy for their one point. Detroit was down 3-0 after the first period, completely turned their game around in the second and managed to win the game after all.

[Image: zS2lCMp.png] 

[Image: carpy48.gif]
sigs either by @Wasty, @Nokazoa, @sulovilen, @Capt_Blitzkrieg, @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @enigmatic, @Lime or myself

Stars Lions Berserkers
[Image: p1gG0LD.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: ctsxTFg.png]
my portfolio | my sig shop | gfx discord
[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]
[Image: AfpXX8l.png]
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2019, 03:36 PM by Lunatyck.)

Comment 1: "The ever-hard-to-pronounce Przemysław Brzeszczyczkiewicz". After watching the replay of the game, it is becoming obvious the game announcers are still having anxiety when it comes to pronouncing his name so they are avoiding it at all costs. When the penalty was called on Przemysław, the announcers kept referring to him as #16 or the Polish powerhouse. In an effort to educate the fans, players, and league faculty alike, I have provided an easy to follow walk through on how to pronounce this glorious name. In fact, I have even included a sound clip for you to listen along to. Perhaps the announcers can take time to recap this information and feel confident announcing his name next game rather than walk around it. It's just a few Z's boiz.

Psheh-myh-suave Bshesh-chich-kiev-ich

https://translate.google.com/#view=home&...yczkiewicz

Just mash that listen button

Comment 2: Lets talk about what a shit show this game was. First period Anaheim comes out swining with 3 unanswered goals. Detroit heads to the locker room, words get flung around, emotions get worn on their sleeves and they roar back with 3 unanswered of their own in the 2nd period. The third period is the pound for pound round with each team scoring a goal to force overtime, only to have Detroit come out on top with the W. Given Detroits start and so many games lost by 1, Detroit must have felt a sigh of relief seeing that puck hit the back of the net by Franz Cooper in the second round.

Comment 3: Jakub Hasek a brick wall in shootouts. When it comes to shootouts, its a bit like a game of horse shoe. You just fling the fucking thing and hope it lands on the stick. But when it comes to this shootout, Jakub came to play and was not messing around. He stoned all 3 opportunities to seal the deal for Detroit and etched another W into his belt this season. His shutdowns remind me a bit of my early dating life when I'd just swing and miss whenever I'd ask a lady out. Luckily prostitution is cheap and "legal" in neighboring Czech Republic so a few zlotys go a long way -- pun intended.

[Image: PvZbGlD.png]
[Image: FszcRvP.png]
Thanks @"AndrewWarren13" for the sig

3 Keys of the Game:

1. The Kyllonen-Smeb Duo
With the Falcons pretty much dead in the water after going down 0-3 in the first period, they needed something to ignite them and try to give them something to play for. That's exactly what the Kyllonen-Smeb duo did. With 12 shots in the game these two had more shots than any other two players combined as they drove the play for Detroit and were a large part of the Falcons controlling the shot share. Kyllonen's 2 goals assisted by Smeb brought Detroit within 1 and gave them the motivation they'd need to go on and complete the comeback.

2. Shooting
Mike Hunt came into this first game of the season ready to play as he was an absolute wall in the first period stopping all of Detroit's shots. With Hasek having a weak game and Hunt playing well it became very obvious that the Falcons would have to dominate the shooting department if they want to come out victorious and that's exactly what they did, outshooting Anaheim 25-13 in the final two periods and finally finding the firepower to beat Mike Hunt after Hasek's poor display early in the game. Had the Falcons not started taking more shots and testing Hunt out more they probably wouldn't have been able to rattle the solid goaltender and lost the game.

3. Faceoffs
In order to dominate the shot share and complete key number two, the Falcons had to obviously have control of the puck and what better way to have control of the puck than by winning faceoffs? The Falcons won the most faceoffs in this game with 50 faceoffs won, allowing them to have the puck more than the Outlaws and giving them a better chance of winning the game. Kyllonen and Zvejnieks led the way for Detroit having each won an impressive 18 faceoffs, Anaheim's only double digit faceoff winners were Dzelme with 16 and Rockatansky with 10. Maybe if the Outlaws weren't so weak in the faceoff circle, they wouldn't have bottled a 3-0 lead like a bunch of bums.

[Image: selm.gif]
[Image: sig.gif]

Comment #1: "Oh man the Falcons are some real bad shit. They let Westbroek score at the start of the season, I don't know if anyone else saw but the guy was rocking like 50 scoring. That's like letting Helen Keller come in and tuck one five hole. I hope they're gonna have a real good excuse for their coach because if you were looking for scoring skill, this ain't it. The Outlaws coach knew what was up, he kept him limited to 4th line minutes to ensure that Westbroek wasn't going to be detrimental to their team and instead, he ended up having a net positive effect as the Falcons were bad enough to let him score. You really hate to see it. Though I mean, what else are you going to expect from a team that willing took on Kit Smeb and then decided to give him top line minutes? Clearly there isn't a lot of lights on in Detroit. Speaking of which, that's also probably for the best as the city looks like dogshit."

Comment #2: "You've gotta be impressed with Kit Smeb's ability to get on the scoresheet despite having absolutely no skill. I'm going to have to go back and watch the game film because there's no chance there was any skill involved in these plays, it must have been luck and pure luck. I'm now getting word from the studio that it seems the first assist was a puck that was being cleared out of the Outlaws' zone, hit Smeb in the teeth and then bounced back in front of the net onto the stick of Kyllonen who was able to beat Hunt. The second assist was another equally skill-less play where Smeb beat the defenseman Kennedy into the corner before stepping on the puck and falling over. In the process of falling, the puck was kicked out in front as his foot slid and Kyllonen was once again the beneficiary of Smeb's lack of skill but insane amount of luck. If I'm Smeb, I'm going out and buying a Powerball tonight because you'll never see anything luckier in your life."

[Image: NCQjJT2.png]
Berserkers     -       syndicate      -     Berserkers