Create Account

Next Season’s SHL Playoff Formatting

01-08-2019, 11:16 PMThatDamnMcJesus Wrote:
01-08-2019, 11:12 PMRomanesEuntDomus Wrote: Previous post Wink

If we use the STHS scheduling thing, no possible combination works for a 50 game season within that with16 teams unless we manually edit it. Which is a pain in the ass to do and weird.

Divisions actually allow use to use the scheduling thing within a 16 team league.

That's the only reason to use divisions.

Would that be worth it though if it means that we play certain teams all the time, there is less fairness within the conferences? Why not go up to a few more games per season to get to a number that works with the schedule? I don't think it would be much of a problem from a record keeping perspective. The newest expansion bascially marks the start of a new SHL-era already.

01-08-2019, 11:23 PMRomanesEuntDomus Wrote:
01-08-2019, 11:16 PMThatDamnMcJesus Wrote: If we use the STHS scheduling thing, no possible combination works for a 50 game season within that with16 teams unless we manually edit it. Which is a pain in the ass to do and weird.

Divisions actually allow use to use the scheduling thing within a 16 team league.

Would that be worth it though if it means that we play certain teams all the time, there is less fairness within the conferences? Why not go up to a few more games per season to get to a number that works with the schedule? I don't think it would be much of a problem from a record keeping perspective. The newest expansion bascially marks the start of a new SHL-era already.

Divisions cause rivalries. Without them rivalries don’t form as often cuz you’re playing dif team in the first round every year

[Image: 34964_s.gif]
[Image: thd650h.png]
Affiliate of:
syndicate Steelhawks Whalers

Top 3 in each conference make the playoffs

3 game play in between the 4th and 5th seeds.

I think 10 teams making the playoffs in a 16 team league is a good amount.

[Image: TommySalami.gif]

Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard

EDM All-Time Leader in Goals, Assists and Points

01-08-2019, 11:23 PMRomanesEuntDomus Wrote:
01-08-2019, 11:16 PMThatDamnMcJesus Wrote: If we use the STHS scheduling thing, no possible combination works for a 50 game season within that with16 teams unless we manually edit it. Which is a pain in the ass to do and weird.

You could potentially reduce the minimum number of divisional games to mitigate that, but I do not know how many games per team that would allow.

Alonzo Garbanzo Final Tallies (Among Defensemen):
2nd in Goals (208), All-Time Assists Leader (765)*, All-Time Points Leader (973), 3rd in Hits (2587), All-Time Blocked Shots Leader (1882)*
*All-Time Leader Among All Skaters
Player Profile | Update Thread
[Image: IeEV7Iv.png]

If you're gonna pick divisions, you better get the rivalries right.

[Image: avakaelsig.gif]

Is there a reason we can't just generate our own schedule and import it? I feel like I must be missing something because that would be super easy, especially for a league with 2 conferences and no divisions.

Jack Tanner (D) - [Player Page] [Player Updates]

[Image: mH3z832.png]

[Image: Beaver.gif]
One sig is tweed's and the other was a karlssens/Copenhagen collab

AC | Bank | Claims

01-08-2019, 05:51 PMBeaver Wrote:
01-08-2019, 05:44 PMThatDamnMcJesus Wrote: also how many regular season games too cause i dont think 50 is an option in a 16 team league
2 conferences with 2 divisions of 4 teams each:
play division rivals 6 times (3 home, 3 away) each = 18 games
play conference rivals 4 times (2 home, 2 away) each = 16 games
play opposite conference 2 times (1 home, 1 away) each = 16 games
= 50 games

From there you could really do whatever playoff format you want. Maybe top of each division plus 2 wild cards per conference for 8 total teams? You make a good point about playoffs+offseason being long for teams that miss, though, so maybe 6 teams from each conference making it with 2 teams getting a bye is the way to go. I don't have much of a preference personally.

This is it. I personally haven’t minded missing the playoffs in the past. Ya it gets boring, but it’s what originally drove me to being more active in other areas of the site. I was looking for something to do/look forward to doing.

Shout out to ml002, schultzy, slashacm, tedward!
[Image: blastmeaway.gif]

[Image: f4IDm9I.jpg] I [Image: specterspp.png] I [Image: czechup.png] I [Image: gs89eGV.png] I [Image: f4IDm9I.jpg]
[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]

09-05-2018, 10:04 PMBeaver Wrote: Wow look what the PT affiliation has done to our pristine league.
12-19-2018, 12:31 AMBeaver Wrote: I personally blame the PT affiliation for handing out massive amounts of free TPE to all these players, inflating the TPE they're at when they get called up.
[Image: Capture21.PNG?width=400&height=90]

Not sure if it's possible to do this in STHS, but what about...

-4 divisions, 12 teams total make playoffs
-First 2 seeds in each division make the playoffs, with the 1st seeds having a bye
-The last 2 teams are decided by record

Example (Just threw 4 random teams in a division)

Eastern Conference
Div A
(1)TOR 60 points
(2)HAM 58 points
(WC1)BUF 52 points
(WC2)MAN 51 points

Div B
(1)NEW 59 points
(2)MIN 55 points
WKP 49 points
Expansion 45 points

-TOR and NEW have byes
Matchup 1: (2)HAM 58 points vs (WC2) MAN 51 points
Matchup 2: (2)MIN 55 points vs (WC1) BUF 52 points

(1)TOR 60 points vs Winner of Matchup 2
(1)NEW 59 points vs Winner of Matchup 1

etc.

Former
SHL Head Commissioner S12ish-S27ish
GM Dragons S8 & S9 (Won cups both years)
2x GM Of The Year
5 Time Cup Winner
League MVP

Past Players
[Image: HOF2.png] D - Aidan Richan - [Image: HOF2.png] (S5 11th Overall) Dragons
[Image: HOF2.png] C - Chico Salmon - [Image: HOF2.png] (S17 1st overall)  Renegades

Current Player
D - Chico Smeb (S46)

SMJHL - Drafted 65th Overall by Raptors
SHL - Drafted 23rd Overall by Dragons
(This post was last modified: 01-09-2019, 03:40 AM by kit.)

Not sure it’s possible to do in shl but what about....

Tdz steps down from co commish to be co gm to Joe,
Dpark regains his role as shl commish and him and eggy tag team the shit?

etc.

[Image: 34964_s.gif]
[Image: thd650h.png]
Affiliate of:
syndicate Steelhawks Whalers

01-09-2019, 02:15 AMBeaver Wrote:

Is there a reason we can't just generate our own schedule and import it? I feel like I must be missing something because that would be super easy, especially for a league with 2 conferences and no divisions.

Because sths automatically does it for us? And it's more work for the simmer.
(This post was last modified: 01-09-2019, 04:02 AM by Hallsy.)

01-09-2019, 03:10 AMxDParK Wrote: Not sure if it's possible to do this in STHS, but what about...

-4 divisions, 12 teams total make playoffs
-First 2 seeds in each division make the playoffs, with the 1st seeds having a bye
-The last 2 teams are decided by record

Example (Just threw 4 random teams in a division)

Eastern Conference
Div A
(1)TOR 60 points
(2)HAM 58 points
(WC1)BUF 52 points
(WC2)MAN 51 points

Div B
(1)NEW 59 points
(2)MIN 55 points
WKP 49 points
Expansion 45 points

-TOR and NEW have byes
Matchup 1: (2)HAM 58 points vs (WC2) MAN 51 points
Matchup 2: (2)MIN 55 points vs (WC1) BUF 52 points

(1)TOR 60 points vs Winner of Matchup 2
(1)NEW 59 points vs Winner of Matchup 1

etc.
I think it is possible but I'm just going by memory. Just gotta move BUF to Div B playoffs.

01-09-2019, 03:59 AMThatDamnMcJesus Wrote:
01-09-2019, 02:15 AMBeaver Wrote: Is there a reason we can't just generate our own schedule and import it? I feel like I must be missing something because that would be super easy, especially for a league with 2 conferences and no divisions.

Just hire a person to do it then if you don't want to overburden the simmers (that's what we do in PBE to have a great, custom fitted schedule for sim league needs).

It's well worth it if results in better rivalries and you will have an abundance of candidates to do it anyway. Auto-generated schedule from looks of it doesn't make that much sense, e.g. there is an example - Edmonton started the season playing 13 out of 16 games against same 3 teams, including 5 games each vs big conference rivals that we will play just once each in last 34 games. There may be some appeal to this chaotic matchmaking, but a custom-tailored schedule has the potential to make to only allow better conference/divisional format, but also make the regular season more interesting.

[Image: Too9kfy.png]
 Player Page  |  Update Page

Just keep the same conferences and stuff. You'd still be getting top 4 in each conference making the playoffs, bottom 4 are left to wait for next season. Why over complicate things?

Your mental health is just as important as your physical health. Please take care of it. Here are some helpful links just in case.

Algonquin College Student Support Services - 613-727-4723
Crisis Text Line - Text 'HOME' to 741741
Distress Centre Ottawa and Region - 613-288-3311
Good2Talk - 1-866-925-5454
Kid's Help Phone - 1-800-668-6868
Mental Health Hotline Ontario - 1-866-531-2600
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline - 1-800-273-8255

Click here for a list of crisis centres within Canada
Suicide Prevention Resource Centre
Suicide Awareness Voices of Education

If you have the contact info to your local mental help centres, let me know!

--------------------
[Image: 34987_s.gif]
Player Page | Updates

[Image: 8y3FJne.jpg][Image: kA0CbGn.png][Image: aGT9Qsn.png]

01-09-2019, 03:59 AMThatDamnMcJesus Wrote:
01-09-2019, 02:15 AMBeaver Wrote: Is there a reason we can't just generate our own schedule and import it? I feel like I must be missing something because that would be super easy, especially for a league with 2 conferences and no divisions.

Didn't JackCross manually create schedules?

Your mental health is just as important as your physical health. Please take care of it. Here are some helpful links just in case.

Algonquin College Student Support Services - 613-727-4723
Crisis Text Line - Text 'HOME' to 741741
Distress Centre Ottawa and Region - 613-288-3311
Good2Talk - 1-866-925-5454
Kid's Help Phone - 1-800-668-6868
Mental Health Hotline Ontario - 1-866-531-2600
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline - 1-800-273-8255

Click here for a list of crisis centres within Canada
Suicide Prevention Resource Centre
Suicide Awareness Voices of Education

If you have the contact info to your local mental help centres, let me know!

--------------------
[Image: 34987_s.gif]
Player Page | Updates

[Image: 8y3FJne.jpg][Image: kA0CbGn.png][Image: aGT9Qsn.png]

01-09-2019, 02:15 AMBeaver Wrote:

I edited the schedule once, it breaks leaderboards. You can't have scoring tracked, etc with a manually edited schedule for some reason. That's one of the biggest reasons, no one wants to manually track all the stats.

An old man's dream ended. A young man's vision of the future opened wide. Young men have visions, old men have dreams. But the place for old men to dream is beside the fire.
[Image: DOF5tXM.png]
[Image: tjyuut.jpg] 
Thanks to Jackson, Copenhagen, and Harry Hans!

GOING DOWN IN STYLE. TOAST4LYFE