Create Account

We need a new grading metric

Freaking videos take so much, time. They should be rewarded, I agree. I recently made a video tutorial for a sig and even though the original video was well over an hour, because I sped it up for easier visual digestion, which means I made less money instead of uploading the original.
Then again, what would a twitch stream merit in terms of pay?

There are lots of questions that I implore you to ask and debate. [b[What would be a fair amount of money that would promote more videos being made, but not solely reward length over quality and substance.[/b] Should we take into account cuts and edits? I don't

Please keep in mind whether you would include gif sigs as an automatic bonus considering the increased effort.

As far as videos are concerned, I'd have to say there's 2 different types.
- Graphic stuff (such as the Izzy video above)
- Visual & Audio (such as the TommySalami PbP of S44 Finals).

The first one would be in the hands of the graphic graders in my opinion.
The second one would be part of the SHL/SMJHL media graders.

As for the pay, I have no idea of the effort that is required for either type and I'd defer to experienced video editors to suggest pay.

As a side note: for stuff to be graded as a video it would require actual video content to be related to SHL. So no Minecraft (or other games) that are non-SHL relevant as those would be considered a podcast.

[Image: Zoone16.gif]

[Image: 9QVaMRC.png] [Image: canybyK.png] [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

01-23-2019, 09:26 AMMike Izzy Wrote: Having some of the league elders in here to figure out who and how we can do this at the onset of a new type of league media may be helpful. welcome league elders!

@Eggy216, @TheDangaZone, @JKortesi81, @adamantium, @FlappyGiraffe, @Lazyeye

You never tag me and it hurts. :(

On a serious note, we are discussing this already and would love the input from some of those who can/do make videos for the site.

[Image: SS19INy.jpg]

[Image: d9J5DHT.png]  [Image: 16PgOBm.png]

01-23-2019, 09:45 PMDangles13 Wrote:
01-23-2019, 09:26 AMMike Izzy Wrote: Having some of the league elders in here to figure out who and how we can do this at the onset of a new type of league media may be helpful. welcome league elders!

@Eggy216, @TheDangaZone, @JKortesi81, @adamantium, @FlappyGiraffe, @Lazyeye

You never tag me and it hurts. :(

On a serious note, we are discussing this already and would love the input from some of those who can/do make videos for the site.

you know what...your right.... and im sorry

@Dangles13

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria

01-23-2019, 09:49 PMMike Izzy Wrote:
01-23-2019, 09:45 PMDangles13 Wrote: You never tag me and it hurts. :(

you know what...your right.... and im sorry

@Dangles13

Videos are something we would like to encourage and therefore we gotta pay people for them but we aren't 100% sure on what is fair.

01-23-2019, 09:53 PMDangles13 Wrote:
01-23-2019, 09:49 PMMike Izzy Wrote: you know what...your right.... and im sorry

@Dangles13

Videos are something we would like to encourage and therefore we gotta pay people for them but we aren't 100% sure on what is fair.

look me up in discord, im willing to share some thoughts on the matter.

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria

:beers:

[Image: unknown.png]

UsaScarecrowsBlizzardSpecters | [Image: specterspp.png][Image: spectersupdate.png] | TimberArmadaSpectersFinland

[Image: cainbanner_35.jpg]

01-23-2019, 08:21 AMGCool Wrote:
01-23-2019, 05:13 AMtheshlsucks Wrote: Why don't we adapt the VHL standard? -2 for every wrong grammar and spelling.

Adopt*

Not writing out a number with which you've started a sentence*

Improper usage of grammar and spelling as nouns*

LOOOOOOOOOOOL

Your mental health is just as important as your physical health. Please take care of it. Here are some helpful links just in case.

Algonquin College Student Support Services - 613-727-4723
Crisis Text Line - Text 'HOME' to 741741
Distress Centre Ottawa and Region - 613-288-3311
Good2Talk - 1-866-925-5454
Kid's Help Phone - 1-800-668-6868
Mental Health Hotline Ontario - 1-866-531-2600
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline - 1-800-273-8255

Click here for a list of crisis centres within Canada
Suicide Prevention Resource Centre
Suicide Awareness Voices of Education

If you have the contact info to your local mental help centres, let me know!

--------------------
[Image: 34987_s.gif]
Player Page | Updates

[Image: 8y3FJne.jpg][Image: kA0CbGn.png][Image: aGT9Qsn.png]

It's been a while but I remember videos being paid like podcasts here before. 20 min video = 1m + bonus. Which I think isn't enough for the effort involved but it probably more than 2 sigs...

[Image: DrunkenTeddy.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]  |  [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

01-23-2019, 04:43 PMZoone16 Wrote: As far as videos are concerned, I'd have to say there's 2 different types.
- Graphic stuff (such as the Izzy video above)
- Visual & Audio (such as the TommySalami PbP of S44 Finals).

The first one would be in the hands of the graphic graders in my opinion.
The second one would be part of the SHL/SMJHL media graders.

As for the pay, I have no idea of the effort that is required for either type and I'd defer to experienced video editors to suggest pay.

As a side note: for stuff to be graded as a video it would require actual video content to be related to SHL. So no Minecraft (or other games) that are non-SHL relevant as those would be considered a podcast.

I'll just say the amount of time it takes to collect and sort clips before I get the index, then editing them together to match the index, then creating a scoreboard and finally recording some really subpar vocal play-by-play takes me 10-12 hours. It'll probably become quicker the more I do it, but I do it because I enjoy creating stuff like that. If I didn't, the 5 mil bonus I hopefully get wouldn't be worth doing it.

[Image: TommySalami.gif]

Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard

EDM All-Time Leader in Goals, Assists and Points

I've spent some time working on video editing software and took a few classes on it in school so I suppose I could throw in my 2 cents here.

As tommy said above, video editing can be a major time sink, a 20 minute video could easily have anywhere from 10-20 hours of production behind it depending on effort, type of video, and quality. Hell, rendering the final product can take huge chunks of dedicated processing time as well. I know it will be hard to include the actual production time as a payout metric but that needs to be considered as well when money starts to be handed out.

I'm curious to see where this goes because I personally would love to make video media and one of the reasons why I haven't is because there doesn't seem to be a decent pay scale already established.

[Image: cd6sM5U.gif]
arigato to everyone for the dope sigs <3

| Updates | Player Page |

Hi everyone,
I wanted to weight in because I literally am a professional video editor. I have wasted the better part of the last 15 years of my life making videos and I can tell you pay is never propionate to the amount of work put in (kidding!...kind of). What I would suggest for a grading metric is that you definitely do not place value on length of video. A good 2-3 minutes video is much more effective and engaging in video than a rambling 15 minute floating head. As a rule of thumb when I work I typically say that 2-3 minutes of screen time = about 4 hours of work time put in not including any graphical elements. There are a lot of factors that play into that time estimate but it's my general rule of thumb. Now having said all that I roughed out a grading metric and will float it here for feedback. Change something to disagree or whatever I think we should have some sort of starting point or this won't get going anywhere. I would personally love to start making some videos but it definitely needs some better pay to make up for the time invested. I am totally up for having more discussion on this if there is an appetite.

-------------------------------
Video Grading Metric

-Content (Relevant, Informative, Unique) /6
-Video (Unique, Professional, Stylized, Clean) /5
-Audio (Clear, Appropriate, Mix between VO/Music) /4
-Pacing (Too slow? Too Fast? Too long? Too short?) /3
-Resolution (>720,720p, 1080p, 4k) /2

Scale out of 20
0-5 = 50k
5-10 = 500k
11 = 750k
12 = 1m
13 = 1.5m
14 = 2M
15 = 2.5M
16 = 3M
17 = 3.5M
18 = 4M
19 = 5M
20 = 6M

Tibuk Soonika - G - Tampa Bay Barracuda| Portal Page
BarracudaSwitzerlandKnights

02-07-2019, 06:42 PMchetib Wrote: Hi everyone,
I wanted to weight in because I literally am a professional video editor. I have wasted the better part of the last 15 years of my life making videos and I can tell you pay is never propionate to the amount of work put in (kidding!...kind of). What I would suggest for a grading metric is that you definitely do not place value on length of video. A good 2-3 minutes video is much more effective and engaging in video than a rambling 15 minute floating head. As a rule of thumb when I work I typically say that 2-3 minutes of screen time = about 4 hours of work time put in not including any graphical elements. There are a lot of factors that play into that time estimate but it's my general rule of thumb. Now having said all that I roughed out a grading metric and will float it here for feedback. Change something to disagree or whatever I think we should have some sort of starting point or this won't get going anywhere. I would personally love to start making some videos but it definitely needs some better pay to make up for the time invested. I am totally up for having more discussion on this if there is an appetite.

Video Grading Metric

Scale out of 20
0-5 = 50k
5-10 = 500k
11 = 750k
12 = 1m
13 = 1.5m
14 = 2M
15 = 2.5M
16 = 3M
17 = 3.5M
18 = 4M
19 = 5M
20 = 6M

^^ HO look at this. @Dangles13 since you are usually a good HO member to engage(and i thank you for that )

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

02-07-2019, 06:46 PMluketd Wrote:
02-07-2019, 06:42 PMchetib Wrote: Hi everyone,

Video Grading Metric

Scale out of 20
0-5 = 50k
5-10 = 500k
11 = 750k
12 = 1m
13 = 1.5m
14 = 2M
15 = 2.5M
16 = 3M
17 = 3.5M
18 = 4M
19 = 5M
20 = 6M

^^ HO look at this. @Dangles13 since you are usually a good HO member to engage(and i thank you for that )

We actually have a new scale and I totally forgot to announce it.