Create Account

Simplify IIHF intake rules.

01-29-2019, 11:42 AMztevans Wrote:
01-28-2019, 09:45 PMNobody Wrote: This and similar systems have been talked about multiple times by the fed heads. Doesn't look like anything will ever change though. USA and Canada have to remain the giants apparently

The UK has won gold more recently than both the US and Canada, and Ireland has won the last three golds.  If you were going for a sympathy angle, this ain't it, chief.

Ninja

[Image: Evok.gif]

[Image: merha.gif]

Ireland's won 3 on the trot? Fuck that. Someone bring back the German team of 10 seasons ago to rip them a new one.

[Image: avakaelsig.gif]

The IIHF HO has discussed a sort of declaration system a number of times in the past year alone, but main issue I have with the system is the player's freedom of choice. If a player has a nation they prefer, I'd like for them to choose said nation, rather than being swayed.

Right now we have a delayed declaration system, meaning if one wants to change and thus nullify their initial decision, they are absolutely allowed to do so, as I feel they should. This is the opportunity to change once they have perhaps learned a little more about our system or perhaps want to play with certain individuals, not at creation. Due to this opportunity to change, I do not consider the initial decision to have as much of a weight as emphasized by some, and if it's for the nation they selected as their preference then good, as it should be.

I often hear about how little rookies supposedly know, but I've heard from dozens of rookies who, after a little research as is recommended in all nation-selecting posts and in the create-a-player form, knew our system quite well.

No decision is forced upon the player at creation and they are allowed to select no nation as their birthplace or an imaginary location.

The main reason I feel this way is that I would like to keep nation selection as pure and irrelevant to what we have on the site as possible.

Not to mention, a similar system of declarations was used in the IHF, and we have moved on since then due to the lack of permanence and government in the system (I imagine, you'd have to ask someone like Spangle, who presided over the change).

01-28-2019, 11:21 PMRomanesEuntDomus Wrote: I disagree quite strongly, the IIHF shouldn't be some fantasy-style pickup league where people just choose to play with whoever happens to be their buddies early on - which most likely will be someone from their junior team or draft class channel in the case of first-gens, which already makes the process quite flawed and, in my opinion, biased. The birthplace/nationality system is what makes the IIHF at least somewhat unique and what makes it an international competition in the first place. The fact that there is a certain luck of the draw to it is part to the whole process and actually part of the fun - and if people really are unhappy with where they ended up, there still is the transfer system.

I quite like that the IIHF is different, that it is rooted in the "characters" that people created and their biographic details, that you meet new people and talk to members that you otherwise would never have interacted with, hell maybe even share an LR and reconcile with someone that you've had run ins with elsewhere on the boards. Even the asymmetry, the fact that some teams are much stronger than others and likely always will be, is part of the fun for me. It's not like it can't be overcome either, we have seen quite a few small nations have remarkable success over the years thanks to the committment of the people in charge and the underdogs beat the giants quite regularly.

By the way with expansion happening pretty much everywhere, isn't it time for the very first IIHF expansion as well. Team Switzerland plus one other team, maybe?

I've commented on expansion before, and while Japan (among others) is close to being able to ice half a team, they are not quite there. The following is a list of all unassigned players, including those who have transferred, as of last off-season:

Australia
Belgium
Costa Rica
Denmark - 2
Egypt
France - 3
Hungary - 2
Iceland
Indonesia
Italy - 2
Jamaica
Japan - 4
Kazakhstan
Kenya
Korea (Unspecified) - 4
Lithuania
Luxembourg - 2
Madagascar
Mexico - 4
Nepal
Netherlands
New Zealand - 3
Poland - 3
Vatican
Saint Lucia
Slovenia - 2
Spain
Switzerland - 5
Zimbabwe

01-28-2019, 11:24 PMArGarBarGar Wrote:
01-28-2019, 09:45 PMNobody Wrote: This and similar systems have been talked about multiple times by the fed heads. Doesn't look like anything will ever change though. USA and Canada have to remain the giants apparently

Maybe they should fucking mention it for us plebs instead of waiting around until either they decide to do the thing or they just forget about it?

We will neither be implementing it nor have we forgotten about it, but if the community would like reports on the discussion topics in the HO, including those that will not implemented, I think that can be arranged.

MWHazard Wrote:i'll playwith anyone
playing with my teammates is part of the intangibles I bring to the table
i play with them a lot.
they didn't like it at first
but after a while, it just felt normal
Justice,Sep 18 2016, 02:09 PM Wrote:4-0 and 0-4 aren't that different tbh
McJesus - Today at 10:38 PM Wrote:FIRE EGGY
HIRE ARTY
[Image: xuHy0EF.png]
[Image: Artermis.gif]
(This post was last modified: 01-30-2019, 02:18 AM by O4L.)

I think Japan would do pretty well in terms of transfers if they were actually added. I know at least 4 Smebs would transfer/play for them.

[Image: 57879_s.gif]
[Image: 37742_s.gif]
[Image: jov7Yk9.png]

"“HA HA! THIS GAME WILL NEVER END! I POSSESS THE SOUL OF EVERY GOALIE ON TEAM B!! CREW 4 LIFE!! SIGN WITH EDMONTON FOR THE CUP!!!” cackled Belial as he placed a Fedora on his head."
SMJHL Commisioner S17-S26
Calgary Dragons GM S14-S23

01-30-2019, 02:13 AMO4L Wrote: I think Japan would do pretty well in terms of transfers if they were actually added. I know at least 4 Smebs would transfer/play for them.

Agreed. I think plenty of unassigned players would be willing to transfer there. I think we’re about due for iihf expansion, and even if Japan can’t ice a full team yet when people see it as an iihf option they are more likely to create for it

[Image: 34964_s.gif]
[Image: thd650h.png]
Affiliate of:
syndicate Steelhawks Whalers
(This post was last modified: 01-30-2019, 09:04 AM by ztevans.)

01-30-2019, 02:13 AMO4L Wrote: I think Japan would do pretty well in terms of transfers if they were actually added. I know at least 4 Smebs would transfer/play for them.

To piggyback on this, most people won't create for a nation that doesn't exist unless they specifically want to be recruited for IIHF purposes. In SBA, I didn't make my "primary" player Russian, but as soon as they created Russia for international competition, my next "filler player" was Russian.

If you expand, the people who still want to be unassigned will just pick different countries to join, but I guarantee you'll get more creations for those expanded nations by virtue of them simply having a team to justify the selection.

In short, if there are enough active players to justify IIHF expansion, waiting for a certain number of players to create for an unassigne nation is probably not the most efficient way to get there.

[Image: zdenkoberanek.gif]
Sigs by @enigmatic, @Geekusoid, @sve7en  and @Wasty 
Zach Evans
 | Player Page | Update Page
Nikolai Evans
| Player Page | Update Page

01-30-2019, 09:03 AMztevans Wrote:

To piggyback on this, most people won't create for a nation that doesn't exist unless they specifically want to be recruited for IIHF purposes.  In SBA, I didn't make my "primary" player Russian, but as soon as they created Russia for international competition, my next "filler player" was Russian.  

If you expand, the people who still want to be unassigned will just pick different countries to join, but I guarantee you'll get more creations for those expanded nations by virtue of them simply having a team to justify the selection.

In short, if there are enough active players to justify IIHF expansion, waiting for a certain number of players to create for an unassigne nation is probably not the most efficient way to get there.

Yeahthat

These nations will start filling up with transferred as well as original players once they get their teams. Without having a team, I'd be very surprised to ever see a nation get close to the twenty players you need for a full roster so waiting for that feels misguided.

Team Korea please

Former
SHL Head Commissioner S12ish-S27ish
GM Dragons S8 & S9 (Won cups both years)
2x GM Of The Year
5 Time Cup Winner
League MVP

Past Players
[Image: HOF2.png] D - Aidan Richan - [Image: HOF2.png] (S5 11th Overall) Dragons
[Image: HOF2.png] C - Chico Salmon - [Image: HOF2.png] (S17 1st overall)  Renegades

Current Player
D - Chico Smeb (S46)

SMJHL - Drafted 65th Overall by Raptors
SHL - Drafted 23rd Overall by Dragons

To add, I think more people would sign up as a player of said country if they knew it existed in the IIHL.

[Image: JbAlQ9E.png]

Oh I missed where tables said exactly that. F u tables

[Image: JbAlQ9E.png]

01-30-2019, 09:56 AM.bojo Wrote: Oh I missed where tables said exactly that. F u tables

Our people are not known for their reading comprehension.

Zach Evans
Nikolai Evans

On a vaguely related note I thought about later, I'd love to see the numbers (if somebody has them) on Slovakian creates since the move to the new site and implementation of the player creation form. On there, there is a "Czech Republic" option but not "Slovakia."

Zach Evans
Nikolai Evans

01-30-2019, 04:34 AMkit Wrote:

Agreed. I think plenty of unassigned players would be willing to transfer there. I think we’re about due for iihf expansion, and even if Japan can’t ice a full team yet when people see it as an iihf option they are more likely to create for it

Oh absolutely, it's specifically that transition from the numbers we have now to a full-fledged team (probably running half-lines) that is just guess-work. We in the HO don't feel too confident right now about expansion, but you're right those numbers would jump from transfers/new creates.

01-30-2019, 12:01 PMztevans Wrote: On a vaguely related note I thought about later, I'd love to see the numbers (if somebody has them) on Slovakian creates since the move to the new site and implementation of the player creation form.  On there, there is a "Czech Republic" option but not "Slovakia."

You're right, it's probably no longer a necessity, we will look into this.

MWHazard Wrote:i'll playwith anyone
playing with my teammates is part of the intangibles I bring to the table
i play with them a lot.
they didn't like it at first
but after a while, it just felt normal
Justice,Sep 18 2016, 02:09 PM Wrote:4-0 and 0-4 aren't that different tbh
McJesus - Today at 10:38 PM Wrote:FIRE EGGY
HIRE ARTY
[Image: xuHy0EF.png]
[Image: Artermis.gif]
(This post was last modified: 01-30-2019, 01:18 PM by kit.)

01-30-2019, 01:00 PMartermis Wrote:
01-30-2019, 04:34 AMkit Wrote: Agreed. I think plenty of unassigned players would be willing to transfer there. I think we’re about due for iihf expansion, and even if Japan can’t ice a full team yet when people see it as an iihf option they are more likely to create for it

Oh absolutely, it's specifically that transition from the numbers we have now to a full-fledged team (probably running half-lines) that is just guess-work. We in the HO don't feel too confident right now about expansion, but you're right those numbers would jump from transfers/new creates.
I think maybe a possible solution to this is announcing the expansion a season or two before it happens. Announce that say a team japan and team switzerland or something come into the league the S48 offseason and give the teams heads a big chance to prepare.

[Image: 34964_s.gif]
[Image: thd650h.png]
Affiliate of:
syndicate Steelhawks Whalers