Create Account

Undrafted free agent - new status

Idea would be to make a new status for players who have shown to be active, but due to deep draft classes, team budgets, or position saturation, don’t end up drafted in a SHL entry draft (not talking about SMJHL draft, that system seems fine).

Potential Problem this targets : active players not being drafted and going inactive due to restrictions on site participation if undrafted.

Proposed solution: new status. Undrafted free agent. Free to sign with any team in SHL, free to continue playing for SMJHL team that owns their rights, able to participate in weekly pt tasks for SHL send downs (will need to be creative with some answers). 
To qualify for this Status player need to have done the last three activity checks and two of the last three PT tasks. (Easily demonstrating activity).

Issues with the above. 
Might not be an actual problem.
Who pays the player? (SMJHL team?)
Not sure what the admin of this would require. 
Gms might stop drafting early and hope to target ufas.

I brought this up in discord and I think I got a fair feedback that this would probably be unnecessary but then I just see it as a backstop that players have to consider if they are anxious of draft stock. (Probably only an issue in big reddit intakes).

[Image: tomasnz.gif]

Player Page
(This post was last modified: 01-31-2019, 04:00 PM by ArGarBarGar.)

I don't know why this isn't already a thing.

Alonzo Garbanzo Final Tallies (Among Defensemen):
2nd in Goals (208), All-Time Assists Leader (765)*, All-Time Points Leader (973), 3rd in Hits (2587), All-Time Blocked Shots Leader (1882)*
*All-Time Leader Among All Skaters
Player Profile | Update Thread
[Image: IeEV7Iv.png]

Is there really going to be a case where an active person does not get drafted though. Isn't that why we even had an expansion this season.

[Image: JbAlQ9E.png]

Everyone should be drafted, if a team has cap and is able to draft they will. Point and stance @mcgriddleluver he barely reached 200 tpe at the draft, was taken almost last in the draft, and now is SFP 3C. That’s also why we expanded. In the past 20 odd days there has been 84 people updating. 84/16 means around 5 people get drafted to a team. But I do understand the worry about people not getting drafted.

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

We had Mac go undrafted two seasons ago. Sure it came down to people's perception of him personally but it essentially forced him to recreate.

[Image: 66624_s.gif]
[Image: 56096_s.gif]
Credit to Ml002, King, Wasty, Carpy, Bruins10, Rum_Ham, Turd Ferguson, Ragnar and Enigmatic for the sigs.
Forge Stampede Inferno Specters Wolfpack Platoon Armada Scarecrows Uk

Player page | Player updates
[Image: wMGKypg.png]

Don't undrafted guys already have the opportunity to sign with any SHL team they want?

[Image: tuxpi-com-1618108119.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 01-31-2019, 05:43 PM by O4L.)

01-31-2019, 05:10 PMBoomcheck Wrote: Don't undrafted guys already have the opportunity to sign with any SHL team they want?

That was the old rule. It was changed for some reason

This is the current rule

1. If a player is undrafted in the SHL Entry Draft, they return to juniors as a SMJHL Free Agent. The type of player determines how they may be signed.
2. These players are NOT send-downs. They do NOT qualify for ANY SHL Point Tasks, Training, or anything a send-down would qualify to complete. They are also NOT SMJHL Rookies. They may do SMJHL weekly training and Activity Checks ONLY. Undrafted SMJHL players may NOT complete SMJHL Point Tasks or Team Training Camp.
3. A SMJHL player must enter the SHL via draft. A player may not bypass the SMJHL to sign directly to an SHL team. A player may not declare themselves ineligible for either the SMJHL or SHL Draft (i.e. may not declare themselves Free Agents).

The rule makes absolutely zero sense. These players are rare but this rule basically forces them to either retire or not be allowed to do anything for a full season.

If a player goes undrafted he should be allowed to pick where he goes. The drafts are big enough that it shouldn't happen anymore but even the off chance that a player gets left off the SHL picklist and goes undrafted because of it (this has happened before) they shouldn't be screwed over like they currently are when they didn't do anything wrong.

Should've been changed when it happened to Mac honestly.

[Image: 57879_s.gif]
[Image: 37742_s.gif]
[Image: jov7Yk9.png]

"“HA HA! THIS GAME WILL NEVER END! I POSSESS THE SOUL OF EVERY GOALIE ON TEAM B!! CREW 4 LIFE!! SIGN WITH EDMONTON FOR THE CUP!!!” cackled Belial as he placed a Fedora on his head."
SMJHL Commisioner S17-S26
Calgary Dragons GM S14-S23
(This post was last modified: 01-31-2019, 05:49 PM by TnlAstatine.)

Even if everyone always gets drafted, i don't see a reason to not have a rule like this JUST IN CASE.

[Image: x17WALp.png]||[Image: uNh8ZtE.png]
[Image: luff.png][Image: luff2.png][Image: luff.png]

01-31-2019, 05:49 PMTnlAstatine Wrote: Even if everyone always gets drafted, i don't see a reason to not have a rule like this JUST IN CASE.

This was pretty much my thinking.

[Image: tomasnz.gif]

Player Page

01-31-2019, 04:09 PM.bojo Wrote: Is there really going to be a case where an active person does not get drafted though. Isn't that why we even had an expansion this season.

Yes it happened to me twice as Anchorage GM. Players are effectively forced to retire at that point

[Image: ml002.gif]
Credit to Copenhagen, Wasty, FlappyGiraffe, InciteHysteria, and caltroit_red_flames
 [Image: MM4nqx6.png] [Image: Niz2wua.png][Image: egAspOO.png] Knights
[Image: GZ9XvkA.png]

01-31-2019, 06:36 PMml002 Wrote:
01-31-2019, 04:09 PM.bojo Wrote: Is there really going to be a case where an active person does not get drafted though. Isn't that why we even had an expansion this season.

Yes it happened to me twice as Anchorage GM. Players are effectively forced to retire at that point

interesting.

[Image: JbAlQ9E.png]

Damn the ultimate weapon. Don't draft a guy and they can't survive.

There as a reason that rule was introduced, I just can't recall why.

[Image: tuxpi-com-1618108119.jpg]

01-31-2019, 07:24 PMBoomcheck Wrote: Damn the ultimate weapon. Don't draft a guy and they can't survive.

I believe it had something to do with the Deplorables tho it was before my time

[Image: ml002.gif]
Credit to Copenhagen, Wasty, FlappyGiraffe, InciteHysteria, and caltroit_red_flames
 [Image: MM4nqx6.png] [Image: Niz2wua.png][Image: egAspOO.png] Knights
[Image: GZ9XvkA.png]

01-31-2019, 07:36 PMml002 Wrote:
01-31-2019, 07:24 PMBoomcheck Wrote: Damn the ultimate weapon. Don't draft a guy and they can't survive.

I believe it had something to do with the Deplorables tho it was before my time

It was around before then. It wouldn't have applied to them anyway - that group skipped the SMJHL Draft, not the SHL Draft.

PatriotesUsaWhalers

[Image: CampinKiller.gif]

01-31-2019, 07:50 PMCampinKiller Wrote:
01-31-2019, 07:36 PMml002 Wrote: I believe it had something to do with the Deplorables tho it was before my time

It was around before then. It wouldn't have applied to them anyway - that group skipped the SMJHL Draft, not the SHL Draft.

And those rules haven't changed since, so anyone could totally pull another Deplorables if they so wanted.

Zach Evans[/b] | Player Page | Update Page
Nikolai Evans
| Player Page | Update Page