Create Account

SMJHL S45 PT 6 - Self Evaluation
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2019, 12:15 AM by Ask.)

Eddy Ask Jr.'s signed with the Vancouver Whalers as a Free Agent straight out of the Swedish Hockey League right before the regular season started. After winning back-to-back Swedish Championships and being the son of Hall of Fame goaltender Edwin Ask the expectations were high. Although with the Whalers already having a strong starting goaltender in Casimir Stevens, Ask Jr. only got 9 out of 50 starts during the season. With 9 starts and 7 jump-ins Ask Jr. still managed to impress as a rookie with his 6-4-0 record, 0.881 save percentage and 2.84 goals against average, both of the latter better than the starter Stevens. Ask Jr. hasn't really been keeping up with other rookies when it comes to playing time but he has been looking good in practice and is still somewhat of a hidden gem. During his first two starts in the playoffs he completely fell apart in the first game only to come back better than ever in the second game. His hands are looking quicker than before but he has to step up his consistency and practicing endurance could be a key part to his success. It will be interesting to see come draft time which team will have the balls to draft this relatively untested but promising young goaltender.

[Image: TtSHTwn.png]

Player Page | Update Thread
[Image: VhDOEWm.png]

Nathan Explosion came into the league undrafted, having never played any professionnal or semi-pro hockey. So the expectations from the Kelowna Knights were reasonable and met. The team expected Explosion to be reliable and not to try to do too much, to paly within his limits. His stats at the end of the season were quite lame to be honest, as expected. However, what Nathan did bring to his team is constant progress. By the time the season ended, he was starting to get mentionned as a sleeper pick for the incoming draft, catching up in progression some highly touted players who did not progress as much. Without a training camp and pre-season preparation, he reached a fair amount of progress, scouts ranking him in the mid-tier. This fact is impressive because most player progress the most the weeks before the preseason as they can get acoustumed to the league and skill level. So on the positive side, Explosion progressed a lot, same progress could be seen in top prospects. On the negative side, he could not get individual success on the statsheet nor in the playoffs as his team was eliminated first round.

Good things are still to come as next season should see the former entertainer become a pro level player.

Character Page RD- Quarterback
[Image: micool132.gif]

Retired players:
-Toki Wartooth
-Nathan Explosion btw
-Angus McFife XVIII

[Image: lUeg4KM.png]

[Image: PT6_Recap.png]

[Image: owenm43.gif]
[Image: 9vAsr7c.png]

With Basil Magnicotta's season not finished yet, he and the St. Louis Scarecrows look to make back-to-back Four-Star Cups for the franchise. Led by the vets who have done it all and gone the distance before, the young crop of Crows, Magnicotta included, have a lot to be proud of this season. When Jon Tellofsen was asked about Magnicotta's performance, Jon being his unofficial mentor and an SHL defender for the LA Panthers entering his final season before retirement, he had this to say:

"Basil's quite a similar defenceman to me, and is progressing similarly, although he's a lot more offensively gifted than I'll ever be", Jon says laughing. "But he's got something a lot of young players have early on in the league - issues with consistency."

Indeed, Magnicotta seemed to put up the point early in the season before going on a cold streak, only scoring three points over 23 games, none of them goals, before going on a decent stretch before the season ended. In the playoffs, Magnicotta led the Crows in scoring to start, tied for the lead with 4 points in 4 games after their sweep of the Knights. Since then, he has not recorded a point so far against the Vancouver Whalers. Next season, Magnicotta will be looking to be a consistent threat on the ice, and a defender to put up far more points than this season.

[Image: antonescu.png]
[Image: BKGrppM.png]
Thank you to Ham and Sulo for the sigs!
Scarecrows Chiefs Renegades Dragons Stampede Panthers norway
Scarecrows Specters Switzerland
Scarecrows pride Switzerland
  Armada pride Ireland

(This post was last modified: 02-04-2019, 04:12 AM by O4L.)

Overall Parker Smeb had a decent season. He was somehow picked 67th overall in the SMJHL draft for some reason he's still not sure about and ended up being top 10 in rookie scoring with 14 goals to go along with 27 points. Parker played 3rd line all season and averaged 13 minutes a game and while playing 10 minutes less than some of the top scoring rookies he only ended up 5 points off the lead in rookie scoring. Experts say there's a good chance Parker would've been a sure lock for the Anrikkanen had he been giving top line ice-time as a rookie as some of his peers were.

When it got to the play-offs Parker started to blossom into a dominant player, with the suspension of forward Konstantin Voloshin his ice-time slightly increased and he was even the only player to record a hat trick in the entire play-offs, unfortunately Parker was benched soon after this and has since only received 6 minutes of ice-time per game due to over celebrating his hat trick. Despite this fact, Parker has continued to exceed with his 6 minutes of ice-time, in the 5 games hes played on the fourth line Parker has 2 goals and 2 assists for 4 points. Parker is currently leading the league in play-off rookie scoring while playing the least ice-time of any active in the league for the majority of it, a stat that will no doubt be overlooked come award season. Unfortunately its become clear to Parker that NA bias does exist in the SMJHL and the Korean forward is considering returning to Korea to play next season.

[Image: 57879_s.gif]
[Image: 37742_s.gif]
[Image: jov7Yk9.png]

"“HA HA! THIS GAME WILL NEVER END! I POSSESS THE SOUL OF EVERY GOALIE ON TEAM B!! CREW 4 LIFE!! SIGN WITH EDMONTON FOR THE CUP!!!” cackled Belial as he placed a Fedora on his head."
SMJHL Commisioner S17-S26
Calgary Dragons GM S14-S23

[Image: image.png]

Mike McKorsy Halifax

[Image: image.png][Image: image.png][Image: image.png][Image: image.png][Image: image.png]

Jerry Mander performed about as well as I expected. It's a little slow out of the gate as a power forward, because there are many different skills to invest in if you want to start playing that role right away (which, obviously, I've been more inclined to do). I ended up getting 110 hits, and my ratio of hits/PIMs wasn't too high. That will improve over time, though. I had a really slow start when it came to scoring, but I finished with 23 points. We switched around lines a lot; we were more preparing for when we'd have a good number of capped players next season than trying to win this season, it seemed -- and for good reason. We have a lot of potential moving forward.

Compared to other rookies I think I held my own. The reasons I was picked in the 1st round sort of show themselves through my interactions with my team and management more than my play in the sim (at least for now). I wouldn't really change my initial build at all. I have some decisions to make once I get drafted and get my first huge chunk of TPE.

Mander needs to work on two big things: his strength and his puck handling. For as much as he'd like to be off the puck, opening up opportunities for his linemates, he needs to be able to hold his own with the puck going down the ice. Whether he'll shoot or pass at that junction is fairly irrelevant if he can't handle the puck! So yeah, that's what the offseason focus will be.

Cannellini had an "okay" season in S45, which is probably as much as he should have expected considering the role he had on the Vancouver Whalers. He started out on the second line and had a little bit of success, but not enough to really justify it, so early on he was moved to the third line. This means he was playing 12-15 minutes a night, and not enough to actually be all the productive. This is what led to him scoring only 18 points in 50 games. Compared to other rookies? The top scoring rookie had 32 points, so that is 14 more points than Cannellini had, which really demonstrates how poorly he contributed to the team. But the good news is he will be getting more minutes next season and he has really improved on rounding out his game a lot, so those numbers should shoot up really quick.

Alonzo Garbanzo Final Tallies (Among Defensemen):
2nd in Goals (208), All-Time Assists Leader (765)*, All-Time Points Leader (973), 3rd in Hits (2587), All-Time Blocked Shots Leader (1882)*
*All-Time Leader Among All Skaters
Player Profile | Update Thread
[Image: IeEV7Iv.png]

[Image: PT6.gif]

[Image: Depositphotos-46829959-original-1024x602.jpg]

[Image: o2ac8RL.png]

[Image: d8gycCg.png]
Scarecrows Dragons Czechia
Player Page - Update Page
Outlungus
Former Players: Yoshimitsu McCloud (LW, #64) - Outlaws pride Platoon Jets Aurora Ireland
Won a Four Star Cup once, knew ninjutsu, picture editors hated him, never tried free agency
Anton Harrier (LW, #90) - Battleborn Rage Ireland
Won WJC gold, liked skateboarding a lot, went to the finals with Manhattan, kept his seat glued in LR

I was very happy with how Collin Gibbles first season went. I was pretty hesitant when creating a player for the SHL, but I am glad I did. Gibbles performed very well in the initial prospect showcase before the draft by leading the rookies in points and assists. I was extremely pleased to see Gibbles go 20th overall as a first gen player. I think Anaheim was the best possible destination. Gibbles performed very well in the first half of the season but his scoring seemed to slow down after a while. This is was disappointing to me as he was leading rookie scoring for a pretty decent chunk and ended up tied for 7th in the end. I think if he had continued his previous pace he would have won it easily. Sadly with such a young team, Anaheim did not make it far in the playoffs. Gibbles got a few points but nowhere near the contribution I had hoped for. I think the season was an overall success and a good window into Gibble's future career.

[Image: spartangibbles.gif]
[Image: qGhUIfY.png]  Outlungus   Usa Monarchs  [Image: PlcJv9V.png]

Season 45 of the SMJHL regular season has come and gone, with the playoffs getting down to the final four. Michael Fox, St Louis's third round draft pick of the S45 SMJHL draft, had a decent rookie season, posting 8-9-17 while also having a +/- of 4, only 10 PIM, all while averaging a team-rookie-leading 16:34 of ice time. While some would consider this a strong rookie campaign, Michael Fox had the following to say about his debut season:

"I keep getting told that I played well, but Tougs and Boomer were able to contribute more with less, and as a team we didn't do as strong in the regular season as we would have liked. We didn't score as much as a team as we expected. I have a lot of room to improve and right now I'm just trying to stay focused on the playoffs."

A little atypical of Fox, he was more outspoken than he usually is concerning his own play. We already have a much larger, in depth interview with Fox lined up once the postseason ends, looking back over his season, his first goal, first penalty, and other accomplishments throughout the season. Also, a look inside possible SHL destinations and who Fox might want to land with.

[Image: lap-teamsig.png]
Aleksi Kettu
[Image: 7MO9RpC.png]

Cloutier had a decent rookie season with the Anchorage Armada--certainly not something to write home about, particularly, but a solid showing. With the Armada being a beast of a team, Cloutier spent the season on the third line and averaged just under 12 minutes per game: not exactly a lot of time with which to show up on the scoreboard. He was about on par with the other rookies on the team; the three who outscored him are defencemen who averaged 18-20 minutes on the ice, and Cloutier played slightly more time than the three forwards who scored 8, 12, & 12 points to his 13. Cloutier had the best plus/minus of the rookie forwards, which is a testament to his hockey IQ and hopefully spells good things for his future career.

The playoffs would have been a good time for Cloutier to really break out on the ice, but unfortunately that never came to be. As we head into the offseason and the SHL draft, Cloutier will be focusing on improving his all-round game, with particular focus on his shot. Sniper gotta snipe.

[Image: thistidalwave.gif]

ArmadaUkSpecters
Player | Updates
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2019, 04:58 PM by Lynxfire.)

Kalevi Karhunen's rookie season was a qualified personal success, but an early playoff defeat against a team that the Armada had not lost to in the regular season left a bitter taste in his mouth. Kalevi, a rookie defenseman on the Anchorage Armada, was nearly in the top 10 for rookie scoring without any powerplay time. In fact, looking at 5v5 points only, Kalevi was tied for 2nd place in rookie scoring with 24 points. Only Monkey D Luffy had more even strength points than Kalevi with 25. His .48 pts per game was a solid number for a rookie defenseman. Additionally, his +18 plus/minus tied for 3rd in the whole league while Kalevi's linemante, rookie defenseman Johnny Sins, tied for league lead at +20. Even though Kalevi and Johnny were the second line defensive pairing, their strong work bodes well for the future. While the Armada finished near the top of the regular season, their playoffs were cut shorter than hoped. The Armada only played 6 games during the 2nd round before exiting via an OT loss. In those 6 games, Kalevi posted again a .5 points per game average, but this time his plus / minus was a bit more pedestrian at a -6. He did, however, lead the team in shots blocked at 14 over those 6 games.

[Image: Rq2Dtaw.png]  [Image: Anchorage.png]  [Image: PPpK5xb.png]

[Image: vE2xRO8.png]

PBE Welfare

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]

[Image: scarn.png]

[Image: m59RPb7.png] [Image: czechup.png]
[Image: giphy.gif][Image: giphy.gif]