Create Account

Minnesota Chiefs Retrospective

Ladies and Gentlemen it's Super Bowl Week-End as tonight the team that the referees allowed to take part of tonight's match-up are facing the best modern dynasty of the NFL in Tom Brady and the New England Patriots. My choice would've been the New Orleans Saints but since the officiating Zebras are incompetant and the head office of the NFL doesn't deem it fit to do justice to the Saints by replaying the time left at the time of the Rams' infraction which they can do then my choice will be on the Patriots, I hope Tom Brady wins his next ring in blazing fashion against... I digress.

Now, while action is taking place on the gridiron, the SHL is currently in Playoff Mode as we now know the identity of both teams that will make battle soon for Season 45's Challenge Cup! The West Kendal Platoon are going on to face the Edmonton Blizzard in what is promising to be an exciting match-up. My money is on Edmonton of course, I think you understand why.

Unfortunately however this means that my team the Minnesota Chiefs did not make it to the final dance of the playoffs having suffered a 4-2 series loss against the Platoon in what felt like deja vu for the Minnesota squad as we suffered a series loss against the same West Kendal team during Season 44 during the same Conference Finals, we lost in 7 back then but the loss stings none the less. Are the Platoons the SHL equivalent of the Pittsburgh Penguins to us as the Washington Capitals? So far yes, but we'll see in due time if this will remain.

That being said, even if it was very well done before by Leppish on January 30th ( Great piece by the way, I'm not going to lie ) I will be giving my own rendition of the Chiefs Season retrospective with a difference that I'll in pure Chiefs Express fashion like I do before and I will also cover our playoff run.

First however I would like to give a massive legendary shout out to our Captain Alonzo Garbanzo who hooked his skates ahead of 45 which many thought would make the Minnesota team's season to be rather difficult but we were able to defy all expectations as we finished the season in second place of Conference 2 with 58 points just 6 shy of the Platoons. In 50 games we won 27 games, lost 18 of them and lost 4 others in overtime. We scored 168 goals and allowed 156 with a 0.580 percentage.

In the scoring department we have surprised and even improved compared to Season 44, Terrance Nova was our lead points provider with 56 of them ( 23 goals, 33 assists, + 33, 5 PIM's, 11,79 shot percentage ) putting him in fifth place in the league standings. Noro Wozy was not far behind in seventh place and 53 points ( 20 goals, 33 assists, - 1, 8 PIM's, 9,01 shot percentage ) to his name. Bobby Watson stood in 9th place with a contribution of 51 points ( 26 goals, 25 points, + 3, 18 PIM's, 12,44 shot percentage ) We then have to go further down the ladder in 59th place where Derrick Glover stands with a 36 points contribution ( 10 goals, 26 assists, + 13, 9,62 shot percentage ) followed by Eric Pelletier at 65th place having scored 35 points ( 11 goals, 24 assists, 0 +/-, 7,86 shot percentage ).

I have to make a mention about one major acquisition that has been done during the season, former Chiefs' Dick Stillstedt was brought back to the folk and racked up a season total of 40 points between Hamilton and Minnesota ( 19 goals, 21 assists, - 5, 46 PIM's, 10.38 shot percentage ) which was a welcomed addition to the team and helped push for the late end of the season. It was an excellent move by new Chiefs' GM Smurph ( Who with I signed my new 4 season contract with ) as well as assistant Wumaduce who have taken over Swift's position as GM ( Thank you for your service mate! ) quite well!

On my end in the goalie department I believe I have done rather well for myself especially considering I have slacked off in terms of training compared to previous seasons due to personal reasons. In 44 games this season I have secured 23 wins, lost 17 of them and lost 4 in overtime with a 0.898 save percentage. I played a total of 2661 minutes, took 6 minutes of penalties and worked to have a single shootout. All of this got me on the sixth rank of the goalie standings right ahead of long time mentor and friend Evgueni Marmeladov in sevent. Long time rival Cedric Moreau continued to struggle with the Manhattan Rage standing in 10th place with again a season out of the playoffs.

So the Chiefs marched into the Playoffs for Season 45 by facing the New England Wolfpack who stood in third place in the Conference just 4 points behind us during the season. The first match was a 5 to 3 victory for the Chiefs at home following by a thundering loss of 6 to 3. With a tied series we went ahead to New England for Game 3 and won the game 4 to 2 taking a 2 to 1 series lead. We won the fourth game in overtime by the score of 4 to 3 thanks to Noro Wozy's third of the playoffs assisted by Terrance Nova.

It was Conference Finals time for us once more and we had a familiar opponent once again in the West Kendal Platoon who we faced and lost to in last season's conference finals as well.

We won the first game 4 to 3 thanks to a Paquette powerplay goal early in the third. Game Two belonged to the Platoon who defeated us 4 to 1 Geoff Moore being our only scorer in the second with assists from Paquette and Pelletier. We took a 2 to 1 series lead in Game 3 with a 5 to 3 victory but then West Kendall tied things up with a 4 to 2 win against us. I feel like the turning point of the series came out of karma as someone, I forgot who, on discord just before game four expressed his concerned regarding Dani Forsberg who had yet to score a goal for the Platoon in the series. Well, he scored one during game 4 and since then the Platoon didn't look back in the series winning Game 5 with a 7 to 2 victory and then punched thier ticket to the finals with a 4 to 2 win closing the series with a 4 to 2 win.

In terms of productivity, our team was right there along with the best of them! Stillstedt got 14 points in fourth place, Pelletier is sixth with 13, Nova with 11 points stands at the 8th spot, Wozy, Paquette and Watson are 14 , 15 and 16th with 10 points each and I can go on. Of course they will be bumped down in places due to the finals but still my point is we had the offensive capacity to be able to go far this season and I am quite proud of that.

So when it comes to the playoffs this is Deja Vu for the Chiefs as I said, seems like the Platoon has our number for a second season in a row which is both disappointing and frustrating considering how good a season we had despite the departures and retirements. The Chiefs have nothing to be ashamed of however, we perforced above anyone's expectations and this is something to not only be proud of but also build upon ahead of season 46.

It will be interesting to see how things develop next season especially with the expansion teams which should shuffle the cards somehow, I don't know what to expect to be honest but my goal is simple: Make it back to the playoffs and this time go all the way!

My name is on the Challenge Cup for season 38 as a back-up goalie, now I want my name on it it again but as a starter and with the right moves I believe we have what it takes in Minnesota to be able to hoist the Championship once again within the next 5 seasons.

This concludes my season retrospective of our Minnesota Chiefs, hope you enjoyed it!
See you on the ice for season 46! Or stay tuned for the next IIHF World Championship Tournament where I will be once again representing Sweden's colors.

You're a beast bro

Doubt is a dream killer