Create Account

League Historian

We need someone to update the SHL history files on a regular basis. It is frustrating to go into a team profile page and see teams not being updated for over 10 seasons. I can only do so much and do not have the time to update information on every team in this league on top of the other things I do with SHL history.

This is a simple and easy thing to implement and I think there are good members who could use a job that really is just a little busywork at the end of each season.

Alonzo Garbanzo Final Tallies (Among Defensemen):
2nd in Goals (208), All-Time Assists Leader (765)*, All-Time Points Leader (973), 3rd in Hits (2587), All-Time Blocked Shots Leader (1882)*
*All-Time Leader Among All Skaters
Player Profile | Update Thread
[Image: IeEV7Iv.png]

(This post was last modified: 02-06-2019, 09:58 AM by Leppish.)

02-06-2019, 09:54 AMArGarBarGar Wrote: We need someone to update the SHL history files on a regular basis. It is frustrating to go into a team profile page and see teams not being updated for over 10 seasons. I can only do so much and do not have the time to update information on every team in this league on top of the other things I do with SHL history.

This is a simple and easy thing to implement and I think there are good members who could use a job that really is just a little busywork at the end of each season.

I think GMs should do it in the team pages.

GMs or a member of that team if GMs have their hands full*

[Image: lebbish.gif]

RED brought this idea to HO a while back and once we are done with the expansion we will be posting apps for this.

[Image: SS19INy.jpg]

[Image: d9J5DHT.png]  [Image: 16PgOBm.png]

I don’t see why we don’t get more jobs. I know Adam said that they have too much on their plate, and I understand, but if you get a historian head and let them hire, and start collecting the history it will save a lot of time in the long run.

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

02-06-2019, 10:03 AMluketd Wrote: I don’t see why we don’t get more jobs. I know Adam said that they have too much on their plate, and I understand, but if you get a historian head and let them hire, and start collecting the history it will save a lot of time in the long run.

If they just need someone to head up all of it on their behalf I could do something like that. Especially considering I do a lot of history stuff as it is.

I just don't have the time to do the busywork to keep teams and things updated every season.

2nd in Goals (208), All-Time Assists Leader (765)*, All-Time Points Leader (973), 3rd in Hits (2587), All-Time Blocked Shots Leader (1882)*

I digged some info from the old forum and used it in one of my media post (timeline of expansions and relocation). I would be interested in this kind of job, though not ready for a head role.

Stars | Player | Update Thread | Gordie#6746 | Manual Lineup Sheet | HockeyNation | Grizzlies
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2019, 11:21 AM by RomanesEuntDomus.)

02-06-2019, 10:16 AMArGarBarGar Wrote:
02-06-2019, 10:03 AMluketd Wrote: I don’t see why we don’t get more jobs. I know Adam said that they have too much on their plate, and I understand, but if you get a historian head and let them hire, and start collecting the history it will save a lot of time in the long run.

If they just need someone to head up all of it on their behalf I could do something like that. Especially considering I do a lot of history stuff as it is.

I just don't have the time to do the busywork to keep teams and things updated every season.

Yeah that's why my suggestion was built around a committe of a few people (ideally with you as the Head and maybe 1-2 confidantes), who don't do all the writing themselves however but instead get to "commission" history related work - paying people to update teams sections, setting guidelines for HOF-articles and paying people for them, rewarding good media with a history focus, suggesting interesting topics that still need to be covered etc.

In the case of the HOF it would work like this, but the process would be roughly the same for a lof of the stuff the historian deals with: I think our long-time goal should be to have articles and comprehensive career overviews for every player in the HOF. So to get these articles, the League Historian would prepare a list of all players currently in the HOF and note if they already have an article on them or not, and provide some links to ressources people can use to research players (Bojo-Box, Legacy Score, old indexes etc...). The Historian will also set some guidelines on how the articles should look, which kind of info should be included, minimum length, what pictures should be in there etc.

Then, every member of this league can request/apply for one of these players and unless there are any concerns (like bad past media work), they can then be assigned the player without much of a formal process. The member then writes the article and submits it to the Historian once finished. The historian reserves the right to fix things in the article or send it back for some changes to be made. Once all that is done and the Historian is happy with the finished product, the article gets posted as an official HOF-article with HOF-branding an all that (so it would be cool to get some graphics people on board as well), with credit going to the author and triple media pay, or whatever we deem to be a fair pay scale. I for one think pay should be quite high to get people interested in this and to make up for the fact that they have to put up with the requests of the Historian - and we can always cap article length or maximum pay to make sure that the payout doesn't become excessive.

That same procedure could be used for other pieces of history media or when it comes to updating teams history sections, the record books etc - just hire people on a case to case basis and pay them handsomely for doing work that benefits the league and that people might actually read. Plus by doing that we should be able to get people to write stuff that actually care about the specific topics - former players or GMs updating their teams history for when they were there themselves, or people writing tribute-style HOF-articles for their mates that they used to play with. I think it'd be a win-win for all.

Also, do we really need an application process for this, especially if it would put more strain on an already overworked HO? Why not approach a few people who you think would be good for it and ask if they'd be interested, especially with such an obvious choice as ArGar avaiilable? Not every single job needs to go to applications, especially if we are talking about jobs with no real "power", like this one.

02-06-2019, 11:20 AMRomanesEuntDomus Wrote:
02-06-2019, 10:16 AMArGarBarGar Wrote: If they just need someone to head up all of it on their behalf I could do something like that. Especially considering I do a lot of history stuff as it is.

Yeah that's why my suggestion was built around a committe of a few people (ideally with you as the Head and maybe 1-2 confidantes), who don't do all the writing themselves however but instead get to "commission" history related work - paying people to update teams sections, setting guidelines for HOF-articles and paying people for them, rewarding good media with a history focus, suggesting interesting topics that still need to be covered etc.

In the case of the HOF it would work like this, but the process would be roughly the same for a lof of the stuff the historian deals with: I think our long-time goal should be to have articles and comprehensive career overviews for every player in the HOF. So to get these articles, the League Historian would prepare a list of all players currently in the HOF and note if they already have an article on them or not, and provide some links to ressources people can use to research players (Bojo-Box, Legacy Score, old indexes etc...). The Historian will also set some guidelines on how the articles should look, which kind of info should be included, minimum length, what pictures should be in there etc.

Then, every member of this league can request/apply for one of these players and unless there are any concerns (like bad past media work), they can then be assigned the player without much of a formal process. The member then writes the article and submits it to the Historian once finished. The historian reserves the right to fix things in the article or send it back for some changes to be made. Once all that is done and the Historian is happy with the finished product, the article gets posted as an official HOF-article with HOF-branding an all that (so it would be cool to get some graphics people on board as well), with credit going to the author and triple media pay, or whatever we deem to be a fair pay scale. I for one think pay should be quite high to get people interested in this and to make up for the fact that they have to put up with the requests of the Historian - and we can always cap article length or maximum pay to make sure that the payout doesn't become excessive.

That same procedure could be used for other pieces of history media or when it comes to updating teams history sections, the record books etc - just hire people on a case to case basis and pay them handsomely for doing work that benefits the league and that people might actually read. Plus by doing that we should be able to get people to write stuff that actually care about the specific topics - former players or GMs updating their teams history for when they were there themselves, or people writing tribute-style HOF-articles for their mates that they used to play with. I think it'd be a win-win for all.

Also, do we really need an application process for this, especially if it would put more strain on an already overworked HO? Why not approach a few people who you think would be good for it and ask if they'd be interested, especially with such an obvious choice as ArGar avaiilable? Not every single job needs to go to applications, especially if we are talking about jobs with no real "power", like this one.

Jesus, RED, I tried to get through this essay but I really couldn't.

After reading half of each topic sentence and scanning for key words, I think you could start by highlighting several events in SHL history and then updating history pages from old indeces. We have it in several places already - records/awards, Luke's trade history thing, etc - and the consolidation / "cleaning" processes just require a lot of menial task-driven shit.

Whoever wants to volunteer should probably just take the job and/or demand a stipend from the Head Office beyond the usual word count of media, since it benefits everyone and everything about the league.

02-06-2019, 11:41 AMGCool Wrote:
02-06-2019, 11:20 AMRomanesEuntDomus Wrote: Yeah that's why my suggestion was built around a committe of a few people (ideally with you as the Head and maybe 1-2 confidantes), who don't do all the writing themselves however but instead get to "commission" history related work - paying people to update teams sections, setting guidelines for HOF-articles and paying people for them, rewarding good media with a history focus, suggesting interesting topics that still need to be covered etc.

Jesus, RED, I tried to get through this essay but I really couldn't.

After reading half of each topic sentence and scanning for key words, I think you could start by highlighting several events in SHL history and then updating history pages from old indeces. We have it in several places already - records/awards, Luke's trade history thing, etc - and the consolidation / "cleaning" processes just require a lot of menial task-driven shit.

Whoever wants to volunteer should probably just take the job and/or demand a stipend from the Head Office beyond the usual word count of media, since it benefits everyone and everything about the league.

The Head Office just needs to grant permissions to edit different pages. That is probably the extent that they need to participate.

02-06-2019, 11:48 AMArGarBarGar Wrote:
02-06-2019, 11:41 AMGCool Wrote: Jesus, RED, I tried to get through this essay but I really couldn't.

The Head Office just needs to grant permissions to edit different pages. That is probably the extent that they need to participate.

Easy enough to ask for.

That said, I'm not doing it. I have enough to do. Laughing

I want RED to write my life story so that it actually seems interesting.

It'd be nice if we had like a wikipedia thing that had these historians keep track of.

[Image: JbAlQ9E.png]

02-06-2019, 11:49 AM.bojo Wrote: It'd be nice if we had like a wikipedia thing that had these historians keep track of.

We do, don't we? It was just updated for like ... 2 weeks? Lol

02-06-2019, 11:50 AMGCool Wrote:
02-06-2019, 11:49 AM.bojo Wrote: It'd be nice if we had like a wikipedia thing that had these historians keep track of.

We do, don't we? It was just updated for like ... 2 weeks? Lol

oh really? i forgot then. but that would be the job for the historians

[Image: JbAlQ9E.png]

Just sayin, we had this as a job. I held it for most of the teens and 20s, then dropped it when busy with simming. From there, I thought it was continued, but I guess not. It is definitely a good job for the league.

An old man's dream ended. A young man's vision of the future opened wide. Young men have visions, old men have dreams. But the place for old men to dream is beside the fire.
[Image: DOF5tXM.png]
[Image: tjyuut.jpg] 
Thanks to Jackson, Copenhagen, and Harry Hans!

GOING DOWN IN STYLE. TOAST4LYFE

02-06-2019, 11:51 AM.bojo Wrote:
02-06-2019, 11:50 AMGCool Wrote: We do, don't we? It was just updated for like ... 2 weeks? Lol

oh really? i forgot then. but that would be the job for the historians

Oh, y'know what, I might've mixed it up with PHL: premier-hockey-league.wikia.com/wiki/Charlotte_Bootleggers

IMHO, that's what we should be working towards, though.