Create Account

The Hater's Guide to the Protection Lists
(This post was last modified: 02-08-2019, 01:04 AM by caltroit_red_flames.)

The Hater's Guide to the Protection Lists

Buffalo Stampede - Stampede
I have a new name for your organization if you were considering rebranding. The Buffalo Blunder. What silly move this was. It's not every day a player like GOD McZehrl shows up, one who earns every little bit of TPE possible and has almost no chance of going inactive or slowing down. Maybe Buffalo's GM decided to expose McZehrl over Charles Walker for sentimental reasons, but considering that McZehrl could Walker in TPE this coming offseason (due to Walker's regression) this was a very dumb move when it comes to asset management. If they were really that desperate to keep Walker on their team they could have explored protecting 8 skaters instead of nine. I doubt either expansion team is chomping at the bit for an inactive Conor McGregor so if the tradeoff at that point is McZehrl for a guy like TJ Bayley then it really is a no brainer.

Hamilton Steelhawks - Steelhawks
Honestly all I can say here is that it's unfortunate that there isn't anything for me to nitpick, but don't misunderstand that isn't a good thing. If your team doesn't have anything worth protecting then there are deeper issues than the expansion draft for you. Zajac, Singh, Odjick, Phelps, Harrak, and Dover are all either in regression or starting to regress this offseason. You can point to a guy like Phelps and say "he's still above 2k" but with all but one of the previously mentioned players expected to be around or below 1.2k after just this offseason this organizations best days are behind it. Don't get me started on Tig Murphy being their third defenseman.

Manhattan Rage - Rage
It's extremely difficult to understand what the thought process was for the Rage. MacIntyre makes sense and you have to protect your GMs, but to leave your top defenseman unprotected in favor of any forward not named Alex Winters, Jax Aittokallio or Sulak O'Hritea is just plan dumb. With Isaac Cormier-Hale already off the roster the defense is going to be even worse already. Reginald MacIntyre can old carry so much weight. I think this expansion draft is going to set back Manhattan for than people like to think.

Minnesota Chiefs - Chiefs
This is essentially the same situation as Hamilton. The only players left on your roster after your protection list are a bunch of inactives so it's not as if you could have made a better choice for your protection list. But hot damn all three of your protected defensemen are below 700 TPE, no wonder Garbanzo stuck around for so long, he could be their top defenseman this offseason...

New England Wolfpack - Wolfpack
I see a very obvious mistake here and I’m pretty baffled by it. Maybe the rationale is that centers are more valuable than wingers? I’m not sure how end up protecting Xander Green, an inactive who is older than Colton Hagan is active and younger by 2 seasons. Just seems like a huge oversight. Beyond that there isn’t much to be upset about. An expansion team is going to be excited to pick up a semi active Buck Maverick for their bottom pair, and Hagan is going to be a great top 6 guy for another.

Toronto North Stars - Stars
All I have to say here is wow. This team is going to have a rough offseason. They’re losing their trade deadline rental to retirement in Pietra Volkova which was expected. Now they’ve made the baffling move to protect Jordan von Matt over Richard Physt. For the long run, sure von Matt will likely end up with more TPE at his peak. But Toronto isn’t a team that has a huge window. York is dying, Haldan is dying, Lombardi never stays anywhere long, and Vakarian has 2 seasons left before regression (and still isn’t above 1.2k). This is a team that needs to win during its window and this wasn’t a move that shows the GM is committed to doing that.

West Kendall Platoon - Platoon
One look at this list and your first thought is “what the hell were they thinking?” Leafer Reilly? Roman Augustus? Meanwhile their protected list has players like Ralchankinov and Clijsters who are still developing. I’m just baffled.

Calgary Dragons - Dragons
Honestly this is a little sad to see. A team that has so much success now is protecting players like Paddy O’Sullivan and Mason Hudson. You can bet that Adam Kaiser will be taken in this draft. They would have been way better off exposing O’Sullivan and Hudson in favor of protecting Kaiser. At this point it’s basically inconsequential though. Their window has been pretty much forced closed after trading Kurczewski and Augustus, even with Mike Izzy there.

Edmonton Blizzard - Blizzard
Joe Kurczewski is going to make his own team meaning they had to leave him unprotected, but leaving Ensio Kalju and Chippy Chicletts unprotected is dumb move. They’re in win now mode and they’re leaving two great defensemen and a goalie prospect unprotected. The Blizzard are going to lose a lot in this expansion draft, it’s just a matter of if they lose a defenseman or their backup goalie. One of them is going to end up in the top 4 or as a starter next season on an expansion team.

Los Angeles Panthers - Panthers
The Panthers are a sinking ship. The best defenseman they protect is only around 900 TPE and the next best one is only 19 TPE ahead. The expansion teams aren’t going to be jumping over each for a couple of 900 TPE defensemen. Mattias Enqvist on the other hand is going to be the first player a team takes from this team, mark my words. 4/3 seasons younger than the defensemen and already as high as them in TPE. Boyka Jr. and Auston aren’t getting any younger and they’re going to need a replacement soon. Looks like they’ll need to trade for one or start the draft process all over again.

San Francisco Pride - pride
A GM signs a player to a long contract because they want that player to be a part of that team for a long time. So I’m confused when I see Dakota Reid exposed. The expansion teams have to take 2 players from each team, so what do they expect the teams do when they see this exposure list? Jonathan Lundberg and Fedor Shirobokov are both active players in regression that could be taken instead, but there’s a lot of value in having a player locked up on a long contract. If I were Reid I wouldn’t be happy with my GM gambling with me like that. Everyone that was protected by the Pride on offense is below 1000 TPE so it’s not as if they had someone super important to protect instead. A puzzling move to say the least.

Tampa Bay Barracuda - Barracuda
Formerly the Seattle Riot this franchise relocated this offseason and forgot to bring any assets with it. I'd say they did everyone wrong with who they protected after taking a look at their protection list, but then you look at their exposure list and realize they did everything right, there just wasn't anyone worth protecting other than the general manager's own player. JSS you have your work cut out for you.

Texas Renegades - Renegades
Did the Renegade just decide they don’t care about winning anymore? Some teams didn’t make the choice to protect four defensemen that should have, but the Renegade did when they shouldn’t have. Harvey Danger is a good defenseman, but he isn’t someone you expose two forwards for, especially when both forwards have more TPE than him. For a team in flux like the Renegades you can make the argument for either move, but really this is a team that has no identity either way. They aren’t rebuilding, they aren’t in their winning window. The choice is a just matter of who they want to keep on board for their middle of the pack seasonal train ride.

Winnipeg Jets - Jets
The Winnipeg Jets have been a top team in the west and the SHL. This exposure list really shows how much things have changed. Jason Visser and Corey Bearss? Okay sure. Max Weber, Gary Grease and Spitfire. Yeah those are household names. Ignatuis Blunt and Lil’ Manius? What? Two pretty unknown players that when you look up their names just puzzle you even more. I guess the Jets have just given up at this point considering they left Crossfit Jesus and Kyle Kylrad unprotected. They could have protected Jesus and Kylrad if they had left McClure III unprotected too. I suppose when the prospect cupboard is a barren you try to hold on to the ones you have, but the Jets just dove head first into a pool of asset mismanagement.

[Image: doubtfulalpha.gif]
[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
[Image: sN8N4xa.png][Image: 639861613880541184.png] Cal Juice [Image: 639861613880541184.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] Tomas Zadina
[Image: snacnei.png] Brady McIntyre
[Image: ice-level.svg]

Aleister Cain is a bust

[Image: unknown.png]

UsaScarecrowsBlizzardSpecters | [Image: specterspp.png][Image: spectersupdate.png] | TimberArmadaSpectersFinland

[Image: cainbanner_35.jpg]

02-08-2019, 01:05 AMSlashACM Wrote: Aleister Cain is a bust

Tbf so is Leshaun King

[Image: sN8N4xa.png][Image: 639861613880541184.png] Cal Juice [Image: 639861613880541184.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png]

@caltroit_red_flames Charles Walker has a NMC and thus is obligated to be protected. Makela is the GM, so the choice was between Metzler and McZehrl, not Walker and McZehrl.

[Image: avakaelsig.gif]

(This post was last modified: 02-08-2019, 01:55 AM by notorioustig.)

02-08-2019, 12:59 AMcaltroit_red_flames Wrote:
The Hater

Don't get me started on Tig Murphy being their third defenseman.
@"ThatDamnMcJesus" should've exposed the dman you recently drafted with the 4th overall pick you dumbass

[Image: crtigger.gif]
[Image: murphy.png]

02-08-2019, 01:54 AMnotorioustig Wrote:
02-08-2019, 12:59 AMcaltroit_red_flames Wrote:
The Hater

Don't get me started on Tig Murphy being their third defenseman.
@"ThatDamnMcJesus" should've exposed the dman you recently drafted with the 4th overall pick you dumbass

oh fuk

02-08-2019, 01:59 AMThatDamnMcJesus Wrote:
02-08-2019, 01:54 AMnotorioustig Wrote: @"ThatDamnMcJesus" should've exposed the dman you recently drafted with the 4th overall pick you dumbass

oh fuk

smh figure it out bud

02-08-2019, 01:43 AMAvakael Wrote: @caltroit_red_flames Charles Walker has a NMC and thus is obligated to be protected. Makela is the GM, so the choice was between Metzler and McZehrl, not Walker and McZehrl.

timeconsumer,Feb 4 2019, 01:56 PM Wrote:It's a haters guide, don't read too much into it
http://nsfl.jcink.net/index.php?showtopi...t&p=172906

Tbh, protecting corpses over actives should not be allowed. Just my 5 dmark

RETIRED

@Bonk take a look at the Jets section.

[Image: nQDbTbM.png]

[Image: hA5o4UG.png]

I get it's a haters guide, but leafer retired and Roman is an expansion gm

[Image: JbAlQ9E.png]
(This post was last modified: 02-08-2019, 08:30 AM by Ace.)

Because Xander Green is a Wolfpack lifer and Hagan is leaving in FA. Pretty simple.

Fun article though Cal

Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights
[Image: VZtEodi.png]
[Image: 1n0REYx.png]

RIP Dangel. See you on the other side, brother

02-08-2019, 08:18 AMAce Wrote: Because Xander Green is a Wolfpack lifer and Hagan is leaving in FA. Pretty simple.

Is Hagan retiring just because he was exposed? Because with the NEW Expansion announcment it was very clearly explained that he can still be a UFA. But now its too late for all they did already retire

[Image: McZehrl.png]

Challenge Cup Wins:
S18 - Riot Seattle Riot (with Chris McZehrl)*
S23 - Wolfpack New England Wolfpack (with Chris McZehrl)*
S27 - Dragons Calgary Dragons (with VLAD McZehrl)
S34 - Rage Manhattan Rage (with VLAD McZehrl)
S37 - Jets Winnipeg Jets (with VLAD McZehrl)
S46 - Stampede Buffalo Stampede (with GOD McZehrl)*

*first ever Challenge Cup of Franchise History

Four Star Cup Wins:
S24 - Whalers Vancouver Whalers (with VLAD McZehrl)
S39 - Scarecrows St. Louis Scarecrows (with GOD McZehrl)

SHL Hall of Fame Members:
S24 - Chris McZehrl Platoon Panthers Dragons Riot Wolfpack *
(GP: 764 | G: 322 | A: 461 | P: 783 | +/-: +109)
S40 - VLAD McZehrl Dragons Riot Rage Stampede Jets Wolfpack *
(GP: 653 | G: 333 | A: 361 | P: 694 | +/-: +141)

*1st Ballot Hall of Famer

small note: GOD McZehrl played at first as Defender and later as Forward!

Oh ....

And

McZ sucks

[Image: McZehrl.png]

Challenge Cup Wins:
S18 - Riot Seattle Riot (with Chris McZehrl)*
S23 - Wolfpack New England Wolfpack (with Chris McZehrl)*
S27 - Dragons Calgary Dragons (with VLAD McZehrl)
S34 - Rage Manhattan Rage (with VLAD McZehrl)
S37 - Jets Winnipeg Jets (with VLAD McZehrl)
S46 - Stampede Buffalo Stampede (with GOD McZehrl)*

*first ever Challenge Cup of Franchise History

Four Star Cup Wins:
S24 - Whalers Vancouver Whalers (with VLAD McZehrl)
S39 - Scarecrows St. Louis Scarecrows (with GOD McZehrl)

SHL Hall of Fame Members:
S24 - Chris McZehrl Platoon Panthers Dragons Riot Wolfpack *
(GP: 764 | G: 322 | A: 461 | P: 783 | +/-: +109)
S40 - VLAD McZehrl Dragons Riot Rage Stampede Jets Wolfpack *
(GP: 653 | G: 333 | A: 361 | P: 694 | +/-: +141)

*1st Ballot Hall of Famer

small note: GOD McZehrl played at first as Defender and later as Forward!

02-08-2019, 08:24 AMChris-McZehrl Wrote:
02-08-2019, 08:18 AMAce Wrote: Because Xander Green is a Wolfpack lifer and Hagan is leaving in FA. Pretty simple.

Is Hagan retiring just because he was exposed? Because with the NEW Expansion announcment it was very clearly explained that he can still be a UFA. But now its too late for all they did already retire

No I believe it was his plan to retire all along.

Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights
[Image: VZtEodi.png]
[Image: 1n0REYx.png]

RIP Dangel. See you on the other side, brother