Create Account

A couple suggestions

Hi,

I think Ive been here just long enough, to give some of my opinions, and some suggestions that I think would make the SHL better. now, a lot are going to be repeats of other ideas, but I really like to see them discussion and then maybe implemented later on.

1. League Historian - I know Dangles said they are hiring one. So thats great. I would like to see a head historian, and then a couple people hired under him, to do general updating of records and stuff. But also to get information and get new histories that would enhance the league. Like When I did the trade histories, I was doing that because I was interested in it. If we can find some of the members that are deeply interested in the history, maybe it could be like a contractor thing(I dont know how that will go with payment, could be a good thing to look into and discuss more)

2. Boost league pay. The only job I can see that are a fair payment is the updaters, as they are paid from a pool, and the amount of money they get is from updating more people efficently and with fine attention to detail. I'm not sure why we are paying them like 2-5 mil a season, when it takes them a combined multiple hours to get stuff done over a season. Like some pay is great for the amount of money they are getting(Awards Committee, HOF Ceremony host), but the jobs that are every week and takes time I think should be boosted a little bit. (I could be uniformed let me know)

3. Visual of games on site: i.e. box scores, top 10 point leaders, etc I think should be displayed on site. I think it would make it so anyone thats new to the site, sees that a season is going on. Also on that, make it more of a bigger deal that playoffs is going on, if a PBP is going on, I think it should be advertised somewhere on the site for easy access.

4. Create a Player needs a revamp. there are a lot of empty threads, or just out of date links. If the mentors, or some group of people get hired to revamp it, make it better and friendlier to the newer peopple that would be awesome to see.

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

2. Boost league pay. The only job I can see that are a fair payment is the updaters, as they are paid from a pool, and the amount of money they get is from updating more people efficently and with fine attention to detail. I'm not sure why we are paying them like 2-5 mil a season, when it takes them a combined multiple hours to get stuff done over a season. Like some pay is great for the amount of money they are getting(Awards Committee, HOF Ceremony host), but the jobs that are every week and takes time I think should be boosted a little bit. (I could be uniformed let me know)

anything to avoid the mind numbing media thats spewed out that 2/3 people read

02-14-2019, 09:07 PMWhite Cornerback Wrote: 2. Boost league pay. The only job I can see that are a fair payment is the updaters, as they are paid from a pool, and the amount of money they get is from updating more people efficently and with fine attention to detail. I'm not sure why we are paying them like 2-5 mil a season, when it takes them a combined multiple hours to get stuff done over a season. Like some pay is great for the amount of money they are getting(Awards Committee, HOF Ceremony host), but the jobs that are every week and takes time I think should be boosted a little bit. (I could be uniformed let me know)

This is more of a problem with media than with pay. I actually strongly disagree with this point of Luke’s (the others are great) as I think money inflation discourages media which is one of the most important aspects of the site imo. People like to see interesting media pieces, now most pieces nowadays aren’t that interesting but I think it would be cool if shl did something like a bonus if you wrote about a player that wasn’t your own,or wrote about the league or statistics or whatever. With a draft this size when I joined there would be 5 in depth mocks up by now, I haven’t really seen one because no one needs to do media. Idk the solution but I think increasing job pay will make it worse

[Image: 34964_s.gif]
[Image: thd650h.png]
Affiliate of:
syndicate Steelhawks Whalers

02-14-2019, 09:49 PMkit Wrote:
02-14-2019, 09:07 PMWhite Cornerback Wrote: 2. Boost league pay. The only job I can see that are a fair payment is the updaters, as they are paid from a pool, and the amount of money they get is from updating more people efficently and with fine attention to detail. I'm not sure why we are paying them like 2-5 mil a season, when it takes them a combined multiple hours to get stuff done over a season. Like some pay is great for the amount of money they are getting(Awards Committee, HOF Ceremony host), but the jobs that are every week and takes time I think should be boosted a little bit. (I could be uniformed let me know)

This is more of a problem with media than with pay. I actually strongly disagree with this point of Luke’s (the others are great) as I think money inflation discourages media which is one of the most important aspects of the site imo. People like to see interesting media pieces, now most pieces nowadays aren’t that interesting but I think it would be cool if shl did something like a bonus if you wrote about a player that wasn’t your own,or wrote about the league or statistics or whatever. With a draft this size when I joined there would be 5 in depth mocks up by now, I haven’t really seen one because no one needs to do media. Idk the solution but I think increasing job pay will make it worse

I think a reason that media is a slog to read a lot of the time is because it is the only feasible way to make money on the site to make a legit long-term player.

Remove a bit of the money incentive for a lot of people, and people will start making media that they enjoy, not just for the word count and cash.

Alonzo Garbanzo Final Tallies (Among Defensemen):
2nd in Goals (208), All-Time Assists Leader (765)*, All-Time Points Leader (973), 3rd in Hits (2587), All-Time Blocked Shots Leader (1882)*
*All-Time Leader Among All Skaters
Player Profile | Update Thread
[Image: IeEV7Iv.png]

02-14-2019, 09:51 PMArGarBarGar Wrote:
02-14-2019, 09:49 PMkit Wrote: This is more of a problem with media than with pay. I actually strongly disagree with this point of Luke’s (the others are great) as I think money inflation discourages media which is one of the most important aspects of the site imo. People like to see interesting media pieces, now most pieces nowadays aren’t that interesting but I think it would be cool if shl did something like a bonus if you wrote about a player that wasn’t your own,or wrote about the league or statistics or whatever. With a draft this size when I joined there would be 5 in depth mocks up by now, I haven’t really seen one because no one needs to do media. Idk the solution but I think increasing job pay will make it worse

I think a reason that media is a slog to read a lot of the time is because it is the only feasible way to make money on the site to make a legit long-term player.

Remove a bit of the money incentive for a lot of people, and people will start making media that they enjoy, not just for the word count and cash.

these are both good perspectives, but Im more inclined to agree with kit I think. I know at least for me making more money from jobs would absolutely make it so that I didn't do media whatsoever (not that I already do) but I could be totally off the mark on this, and honestly it probably just depends on the person.

[Image: cooldudeam1234.gif]
(Sig Credit: toedragon84)

02-14-2019, 09:53 PMGood_Ole_Kimmy Wrote:
02-14-2019, 09:51 PMArGarBarGar Wrote: I think a reason that media is a slog to read a lot of the time is because it is the only feasible way to make money on the site to make a legit long-term player.

these are both good perspectives, but Im more inclined to agree with kit I think. I know at least for me making more money from jobs would absolutely make it so that I didn't do media whatsoever (not that I already do) but I could be totally off the mark on this, and honestly it probably just depends on the person.

I would rather have less media if that means that the majority of the media coming in isn't based around getting a high word count and not really caring much about what you are talking about.

People have a limited amount of time to read media as it is, anyway.

2nd in Goals (208), All-Time Assists Leader (765)*, All-Time Points Leader (973), 3rd in Hits (2587), All-Time Blocked Shots Leader (1882)*

Honestly make media worth tpe and take away some tpe from elsewhere. That or revamp the pay scale.

PatriotesUsaWhalers

[Image: CampinKiller.gif]

anything to avoid 4000 words about johnny x and jane y's trip to bermuda in the SHL offseason

I would think the majority of us would enjoy media about the league, whether it's the history, the statistics, the games as opposed to stories about the players that arent creative in any way, shape or form and we've heard them a thousand times over.

02-14-2019, 10:11 PMArGarBarGar Wrote: I would rather have less media if that means that the majority of the media coming in isn't based around getting a high word count and not really caring much about what you are talking about.

Exactly. What @kit was saying about incentives for actual insight is on point. I've been cheated out of a few million dollars just because I'm amazingly concise.

02-14-2019, 10:17 PMCampinKiller Wrote: Honestly make media worth tpe and take away some tpe from elsewhere. That or revamp the pay scale.

This is the one way to make media less interesting

Affiliate of:

02-14-2019, 10:17 PMCampinKiller Wrote: Honestly make media worth tpe and take away some tpe from elsewhere. That or revamp the pay scale.

The one grip I have with this is that it doesn’t allow people to plan ahead and make media early and stockpile money so when they have less time later.

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

02-14-2019, 10:30 PMGCool Wrote:
02-14-2019, 10:11 PMArGarBarGar Wrote: I would rather have less media if that means that the majority of the media coming in isn't based around getting a high word count and not really caring much about what you are talking about.

Exactly. What @kit was saying about incentives for actual insight is on point. I've been cheated out of a few million dollars just because I'm amazingly concise.

#notsohumblebrag

02-14-2019, 10:31 PMkit Wrote:

This is the one way to make media less interesting

As if it’s currently interesting to have to write an essay to earn 1 week’s worth of training

PatriotesUsaWhalers

[Image: CampinKiller.gif]

02-14-2019, 11:27 PMCampinKiller Wrote:
02-14-2019, 10:31 PMkit Wrote: This is the one way to make media less interesting

As if it’s currently interesting to have to write an essay to earn 1 week’s worth of training

Have you read pts lmao, imagine if media was flooded with half assed pt quality posts. It would be torture to find the good media and probably discourage people from doing good media cuz people wouldn’t be viewing media

Affiliate of:

02-14-2019, 11:40 PMkit Wrote:
02-14-2019, 11:27 PMCampinKiller Wrote: As if it’s currently interesting to have to write an essay to earn 1 week’s worth of training

Have you read pts lmao, imagine if media was flooded with half assed pt quality posts. It would be torture to find the good media and probably discourage people from doing good media cuz people wouldn’t be viewing media

to play devils advocate, 95% of media reads like long as fuck trash PT shit anyway