Create Account

Rookie Showcase - Pre-Playoffs - Vipers Edition

Rookie Showcase - Pre-Playoffs - Vipers Edition

Feb. 17 2019
Chaz Anderson - SMJHL Beat Reporter

After finishing the group stage in third place with a record of 10-9-1, the Vipers look poised to make some noise in the playoffs.

The good:
     1. The Vipers should feel good about themselves after finishing with the best Goals For and the best Goals Against.  They had the best goal differential by far at +12.  Only 3 points separated the Vipers and the first placed Blazers.  

2. Filip Zadina & Jax Duggan - These guys were late arrivals and although they didn't single handedly set the team on fire, they are most certainly welcome late addition that will make some noise come playoff time.  Combined they had 23 points in 24 games and were both plus players. 

3. Harry Carpet, G - If he isn't the first goalie selected in the draft, I'll pay McButternutz to apply one of his world famous dick slaps right across my face (he'd probably do it for free, to be honest).

4. Slap McShotty, W  - Quietly had a good showing.  Reasonable point total (16) and a mere 4 PIMs.  Look for him to be more widely utilized in the playoffs.

5. Wibbly McButternutz, D - A leader.  His 42 hits puts him well above the next Viper and a +/- of +5 tells a tale of responsible, sound defensive.  Take his league leading PIMs with a grain of salt; how can you fault a man for sticking up for his teammates?  He's a winner.  Chipped in with 8 assists as well.

Honorable mentions: Espen Knutsen Jr., Kobe Krisp, Corey Kennedy, Maz Huebner & Tony Ford - You want offence, look no further than these guys.  If Knutsen Jr. continues his strong play in the playoffs, hard to imagine he doesn't go No. 1.

The Bad
     1. A scary moment for newcomer Jax Duggan.  It's been widely reported that the Vipers shower is a sacred place and, as Wibbly puts it "it's where I go to relax and relieve some tension after the games."  Jax wouldn't go into detail on what he saw, but his expression was one of shock & awe.  Let's hope this won't affect the team moving forward.

2. Bad batch of TimBits?  The boys were a bit sluggish for a few of the final games.  Tony Ford mentioned that "it's possible we ate some contaminated TimBits."  It's Vipers tradition to grab a post game meal at the local Timmy's and after a BIG 7-3 win over the Blazer (GM 32) it was apparent someone shit in the donut fryer.  Let's hope they've pooped it all out come playoff time.

Closing Statement

Yes, I'm bias.  Yes, I'm a Vipers fan.  Yes, I'm a Wibbly fan.  The reality is though, the Vipers are the team to beat in the upcoming playoffs.  Mark my words, they will be Champions.

For any media inquiries, please hit me up on Twitter @ChazAnderson2 -- Please note, this is my first day on the job and I'm looking for x2 bonus 600+ words

[Image: wcD1EnF.png]

I laughed out loud 6 times during this write up. Very well written man and thanks for the HM, hoping I can lead us to a championship and go as high as possible in the draft. 

- Espy

Can confirm the shower incident has done nothing short of strengthen our bonds within the team- Jax