Create Account

Prospects Tourney Recap (Double Media)
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2019, 02:13 AM by SDCore.)

Where we are so far. Going into the Prospects Tournaments playoff round we will recap where we are so far. 

Blazers: 9 – 8 – 3: They are equal on goals for versus goals against at 80. While they technically have a winning record they have left some things to be desired. Tracking the league’s worst PP percentage and PP+PK and face-offs won. If you like big bruising teams however, the Blazers lead the tournament in hits.

Top Prospects here include:

Jules L’Elcair – Great hands and shot. Being touted as an early 1st rounder, elite scoring ability.

Gunnar Soderberg- Amazing distributor of the puck and good vision. Penalties are a bit of an issue, but he likes to play a physical game. Nothing wrong with that though.

Boruvka Banananak- Might be the steal of the draft. With an over 15% shoot percentage and decent PP numbers, might have underwhelmed at times, but don’t sleep on this guy.

Esa Parmborg- Some have him rated and going really high or not even in the top 20. His +/- scares me, but there is a ton of upside here. Worth the risk in a later top 20 pick.

Stingrays or just Rays: 10-9-0: They Rays are led by some impressive talent. They lead the tourney in PP%, SF, and PIM/GP.  The Rays have been lethal on the Powerplay, especially from their backend. They take advantage of every opportunity especially getting pucks to the net. One of their top prospects a Forward by the name of Jaguar Johnson hold the best shooting percentage in the tourney with over 20%.

Austin Roenick- Winger who likes the puck on his stick. His ability to make plays impresses me. Plus this kid can kill PKs, which is important. He likes high pressure moments.

Jaguar Johnson- Yes, just yes. His ability to score at will is impressive. A 20% shooting percentage, are you kidding me? If he’s not off the board by pick 5 something is wrong.

Thomas Bathroy – Probably considered the top Defensive player in this draft. Tho someone later in this write-up may have something to say about that. Scores at an elite level, but also gives up the body and can play a lock down game. +/- was a bit rocky at first, but he seems to have gotten that under control.

Sami Raanta- The second best C prospect at the tourney. At 6’3” he is physical enough to not get pushed around at the next level, which will be good for him. He came on late, but seems to be playing at a high level right now. Again, might be a steal for whoever selects this kid. His FO% could improve tho.

Vipers: 10-9-0: This team is offensive minded to say the least. Driven from their top scoring center all the way to the top defensive pairing. Another lethal PP here, with over 24% converted, the Vipers will make you pay if you put them a man up. They are also anchored by a very good goalie prospect in Harry Carpet, who always give them a chance to win games. After a bad last couple games they still lead the tourney in GF, GA, PP+PK, and SA they hope to go strong into the playoffs.

Espen Knutsen Jr- Elite center. This kid can move the puck. Smart puck mover, defensively responsible as he also kills majority of penalties. Needs to add some strength to his skill, but should bulk up during Juniors. FO% could be better, but I’m nitpicking. Don’t look for elite scoring like you would from Gunnar or Jaguar, 
but his passing abilities will keep him at the top of everybody’s lists.

Corey Kennedy- Young and raw. That’s what I see in Kennedy. Elite puck mover and can get on a roll. Good PP quarterback. Needs to add strength and become more physical on the puck. His positioning could be better, but he knows when to attack. Can put up points in bunches. Best SH% of all defensive this tourney at 
17%.

Kobe Krisp- It’s a competitive year for wingers. Kobe has had the luxury of being on Espens wing, still he is a top level talent. Scoring at a 1.56 – p2/rate shows he can put the puck in the net. Being not on the PK has hurt, though he has excelled on the PP.

Harry Carpet: Top goalie prospect in this draft, though his last couple games may have hurt this. He was rocking above a .900 and under 2.0 GAA until a bit of a hard ship here. Still think he is the cream of this year’s goalie crop. He’s even got a couple assist under his belt.

Wranglers: 7-10-0: With three OT loses, this record looks worse than it is, but they have definitely been disappointed in their tournament. Last in most categories the Wrangler are actually surprisingly good on the PK and at the face off dot. This is mainly due to Isaiah Reece who has been a beast on the PK and in the dot so far. Though Cullen Gray is showing his worth as well.

Isaiah Reece- This kid can take faceoffs. He is very defensively responsible, which will help in the long run. Top points getter on a somewhat disappointing Wranglers squad. He has lit the lamp for a GW or GT goal 3 times, which to me says he works hard and doesn’t quit. Let’s see how that translates to the junior game.

Cullen Gray- I have a soft spot for this player. He seems to play the right way, hard-nosed and no nonsense. Strong on the puck winger who can distribute and score when it needs to be done. Not overly physical or strong on the PP, but will give maximum effort and hits his marks.

Charlie Serpe- Serpe is a conundrum, he is an elite passer and plays big minutes, but isn’t flashy. His +/- tells the story of a guy who is either saddled on a bad team or isn’t working hard enough. I think Serpe is going to surprise folks in this draft. He has played a lot of minutes on the PK and still has 17A. Might not go top 20, but could be a really good mid round steal, that plays a huge role in a winner.

Gunnar Petrov- Again this Wranglers team is tough. Here you have a guy like Petrov, who on paper looks a bit under managed or weak, yet if you dive into his numbers, you come out impressed. He scores at a good rate and contributes well on the PP. Plus he is a +8 on a team with a losing record, so you feel he is responsible defensively. We shall see however, he is a risk but might pan out to be something great.

Those are my thoughts on the week to come heading towards the SMJHL draft.

x2 Draft Prospects write up

[Image: sdcore.gif]

Player Page [Image: berserkers.png] [Image: syndicate2.png]Update Page

[Image: sgu3vVP.png]
[Image: 9vq7IEu.png]

Very well written, way to keep up to date on the details of the showcase and thanks for the high regards towards my playmaking as that is my forté.
Best of luck during the showcase playoffs.

-Espy