Create Account

The Unofficial SHL History Book

*Skip Below the Line for the current book, although it's a continuous work in progress, so especially now it is quite short*

So this has been an idea of mine for a while now, and I've been ready to start it since fall, but I've been putting it off for no good reason, so here we go.

It all started with my thirst to know more about league history. Sure we have most stats, the records, and awards, but there's hardly any stories to go along with it, and those are the important piece of league history in my opinion. Stories add flavor to the numbers, they add depth like nothing else can and make the players and teams come to life.

I took the next step with this suggestion-box post from December 10th, 2016, that was periodically bumped over the ages: Click Here.

Yeah I tried to make it all official and stuff to win people over, even using a UN format to make it look more professional and to make the mission more apparent.

This "Unofficial History Book" strays a bit from the initial suggestions, but the goal is still the same.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Without further ado, here is the link.

If you want to get involved or help out in any way, I'm always open to anyone interested.

I've already added three stories of mine to help with getting an idea of what style and/or what kinds of submissions we can look forward to.

They should be unique accounts worth sharing, for example, my justifications for mine:
The Kelowna-Whalers rivalry was a season-long story played out both in STHS and in the media section and dragged in many more than just players from those teams for quite a colorful and fun rivalry.
The Miracle Czechs are one of only two IIHF teams to make it to the finals while ranked #11, and had to go through #1 and an historic rival to do so.
The S38 PGF team was closely-followed by many, as they ended up ending the longest drought in SMJHL history in dramatic fashion, as well as with numerous parallel story-lines.

Possible duties include:
Writer (Sharing your own stories/accounts or digging up older stories/media)
Editor (... edits stuff I guess)
Member of the Board (Fancy name for if anyone wants to help select stories from those submitted/help manage this little project)

If have any interest in helping out in one of these ways and/or would like to submit something, hit me up!

I'd love to hear your stories and I know there are those interested in the league's history as much as I am, if not more.

MWHazard Wrote:i'll playwith anyone
playing with my teammates is part of the intangibles I bring to the table
i play with them a lot.
they didn't like it at first
but after a while, it just felt normal
Justice,Sep 18 2016, 02:09 PM Wrote:4-0 and 0-4 aren't that different tbh
McJesus - Today at 10:38 PM Wrote:FIRE EGGY
HIRE ARTY
[Image: xuHy0EF.png]
[Image: Artermis.gif]

What the fuck this is awesome

[Image: unknown.png]

UsaScarecrowsBlizzardSpecters | [Image: specterspp.png][Image: spectersupdate.png] | TimberArmadaSpectersFinland

[Image: cainbanner_35.jpg]

This is a really cool idea! I don't have that many old experiences to contribute, but going forward I'd love to help!

[Image: TommySalami.gif]

Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard

EDM All-Time Leader in Goals, Assists and Points

If you want to dig way back I can tell stories of the 1st ever SMJHL (then NWJHL) champion Prince George Firebirds. Just hard digging up stats from that era of the league I've found.

[Image: shVfVkL.png]
[Image: WNpG8YJ.png]

02-19-2019, 06:24 PMHanson94 Wrote: If you want to dig way back I can tell stories of the 1st ever SMJHL (then NWJHL) champion Prince George Firebirds. Just hard digging up stats from that era of the league I've found.

A lot of that would be on the old site: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/theshl/

I know that SMJHL's S1 was real sketchy, but I'd love to hear stories about anything.

i play with them a lot.
HIRE ARTY

02-19-2019, 07:05 PMartermis Wrote:
02-19-2019, 06:24 PMHanson94 Wrote: If you want to dig way back I can tell stories of the 1st ever SMJHL (then NWJHL) champion Prince George Firebirds. Just hard digging up stats from that era of the league I've found.

A lot of that would be on the old site: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/theshl/

I know that SMJHL's S1 was real sketchy, but I'd love to hear stories about anything.

Yes, but the stats pages can no longer be found

[Image: shVfVkL.png]
[Image: WNpG8YJ.png]

Ilike

[Image: fm4oNHu.png]    Aurora  norway  Raptors     [Image: YHC5qMO.png]
[Image: 47986_s.gif]

02-19-2019, 07:23 PMHanson94 Wrote:
02-19-2019, 07:05 PMartermis Wrote: A lot of that would be on the old site: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/theshl/

Yes, but the stats pages can no longer be found

True, but while they do help set the stage, you don't need stats to make a story worth telling

i play with them a lot.
HIRE ARTY

@artermis can they be personal stories

Do you want roleplay as the player or just user stories

[Image: unknown.png]

UsaScarecrowsBlizzardSpecters | [Image: specterspp.png][Image: spectersupdate.png] | TimberArmadaSpectersFinland

[Image: cainbanner_35.jpg]

02-20-2019, 08:47 PMSlashACM Wrote: @artermis can they be personal stories

Do you want roleplay as the player or just user stories

I only roleplayed for mine because that's what made sense.

User stories can have just as much impact, for instance I would love if JP could write one on how McDonald literally saved the site after an admin went AWOL and deleted the owners.

i play with them a lot.
HIRE ARTY

I'm gonna try to bump this seasonally, so that more people see it and want to contribute either with additions or with helping out on the editing side of things.

Perhaps you want to write about STL's back to back cups, Buffalo's first cup in style, Ireland's incredible streak, or perhaps some of the SHL's greatest players finally retiring. These events and many more are known much better to those that experienced them or were around them, and thus the story should come from their lips.

Feel free to hit me up with stories, applications, or just general inquiries into this project.

i play with them a lot.
HIRE ARTY

Now updated with the new additions from the History Week competition.

i play with them a lot.
HIRE ARTY

Thanks Arty for all your hard work on this! Looks great!

OG platoon is missing some Alexei Koivu.

S2, S5, S18, S22 Challenge Cup Champion
Hall Of Famers: (S7) Alex Reay | (S28) Daniel Merica

[Image: mckeiltbb.png]
[Image: Merica5.gif]
Thanks to Ragnar, Wasty and myself for the sigs.