Create Account

Parmborg Drafted to Halifax!
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2019, 01:45 AM by Steelhead77.)

Double Media

raiders  raiders  raiders  raiders  raiders  raiders  raiders  raiders  raiders  raiders  raiders  raiders

[Image: 171766236-011111.jpg]

Esa Parmborg was taken 1st overall in the S46 SMJHL entry draft by the Halifax Raiders. There were many great players in this draft but Halifax saw something special in Parmborg as they traded up just days before the draft for a chance to select him. It’s a special honor to go 1st overall and we think Halifax made a great decision. Parmborg adds a lot to a team both on and off the ice so we can see how this made sense for the organization. Word is he’s fit in great so far, so we caught up with the big Icelandic superstar for a post-draft interview.

Media:  Hello Esa Parmborg, congrats on going 1st overall, how did it feel to get picked by Halifax?

Parmborg: (Puts down his parm) Thanks very much, it was a big honor to be taken by Halifax and especially with the 1st pick. I am truly honored. There’s a lot of great players in this draft, future stars in the league, so when I heard my name called first it was really special. I can’t thank Halifax enough for their confidence in me, I will do everything I can do deliver for them.

Media: Did you talk with Halifax before the draft and have any idea they may take you?

Parmborg: Actually yes, I spoke with both Halifax GM’s at length, they seemed very interested in me and scouted me pretty hard. I had a sense they might take me, but you never truly know until the draft. I think at the time we spoke they had 3rd overall pick, then when they traded up to 1st and while nobody told me I would be the pick, from my talks with them I felt I had a decent chance to go there.

Media: Did any other teams reach out and scout you?

Parmborg: Yes I had some talks with a few teams, not every team reached out, but I heard from Montreal, Kelowna, Anaheim and Halifax. I was very impressed with all the GM’s who contacted me. Everyone was friendly and interested in providing a good team experience for me. I could tell each place would be fun to play and I’d be treated well. I imagine I did not hear from all teams because some assumed I may not be available at their pick, which is understandable.

Media: Who was your original SMJHL team with your last player and did you have any favorites pre-draft?

Parmborg: I originally was drafted and played for Detroit back in S18 or s17 I can’t remember which. I only played 1 season for Detroit before going to the SHL, but I loved it there and Detroit was my first team experience in the league. I later became Detroit GM for 3 seasons so it definitely holds a special place for me. I was not contacted by Detroit but that’s ok, it’s a new group there and I don’t really know any of them anymore. – As far as did I have any favorite teams pre-draft?  I would have been happy playing anywhere. I’d probably say Halifax, Montreal and Kelowna were at the top of my list and also Anaheim since we had very good talks. I know a few SMJHL GM’s so I would have been happy to play for any of them.

Media: Curious as to what your favorite and least favorite parts about the draft process were?  

Parmborg: This is hard because with a busy off-season of SHL GM Tasks and the big SHL draft I was not really able to sit back and enjoy the experience as I wanted to. So that would probably be my least favorite part, just not having the free time to really get involved in all the pre-draft excitement. That being said, I was able to chat a little in the rookie discord before the draft and I really enjoyed talking to all the new first generation players. I wish I had more time for it but that’s probably one of my favorite parts about the draft process. That and being contacted by teams and getting to know a few of the GM’s I did not previously know. Really enjoyed chatting with Slothfacekilla and Jearim in Halifax, obviously.

Media: Now that you've arrived in Halifax, what are you hoping to accomplish in the SMJHL with the Raiders?

Parmborg: I would love to win a 4 Star Cup. It’s the only thing I have not won in the league as a player, I won as a SMJHL GM, but not as a player. So helping Halifax get a cup is tops on my list. I also just want to come in a be a positive part of the team and have some fun with a new group. It’s good to get to know some new people in the league. I’ve already enjoyed the locker room and it’s only been a few days since the draft. So to recap.. Win a Cup, make a solid player to help the team, meet new people and add to the positive team experience for everyone.

Media: What type of player can Raiders fans expect when you step on the ice?

Parmborg:
A BIG one. (laughs as the 350 pounder rubs his belly). Hah, I’m looking forward to that experience for sure, can’t wait to get out on the ice in a Raiders 3XL jersey, I hope they have one that fits me. I’d say fans can expect a surprisingly speedy two-way winger with a high skill and compete level. I’m a primary passer but I can also shoot the biscuit pretty well. I’m good in both zones, I pay attention to defensive responsibilities, but I really love to create offense. I can play wing or center and I believe I’m slated to be a winger in year 1 for Halifax. Looking forward to getting out on the ice soon.

Media: Any word on your projected linemates or role on the team?

Parmborg: Halifax has a pretty deep roster so I’m not expecting to be 1st line or anything, but I think I can help out on line 2 or 3, wherever the team decides they need me. I’ve heard rumors I may start on line 3 with Gaspard Boone and Jaguar Johnson. Both are talented players that I would be happy to play with. If we work hard I think we can add some depth scoring and help the team win some games. I don’t think I’m slated for any special teams play just yet, need a little more development time before I can be trusted in those roles.

Media: Do you expect to take on any management roles with Halifax and help them out?

Parmborg: My door is always open, but I mainly just want to be a player this time around. I have my stuff to do in Calgary, so I’m happy to let others take care of things in Halifax. That being said if the team is losing and I think I can help out, then I may suggest some concepts for management to consider, but it’s their team and I want them to do their thing. I’m happy to help and share my knowledge if needed though.

Media: Who are some players you were also drafted to Halifax that you think have a lot of potential?

Parmborg: We drafted a lot of great young players. Guys like Joseph Larague, Jaguar Johnson, Isaiah Reece, Kobe Krisp, Jazon Viersaitl and Ender Zavala. I think they all can be great, but early on I’d say Joseph Laraque is standing out to me. He’s been working hard in the league and making his mark, he’s also been very active in the locker room, so I think he has potential to really be good. I have confidence in all the picks we made, but Laraque seems to have that special drive to succeed.

Media: Any other 1st generation players from the draft that did not go to Halifax who you’ve been impressed with?

Parmborg: I’d have to say the first guy that comes to mind is Wibbly McButternutz. Besides having the 2nd best name in the draft, he seems to have really taken to the league and I think will become a star, his media has been enjoyable as well. I’m also impressed with Corey Kennedy, there’s a reason he went 2nd overall, I think he’s going to be a good one. Jax Duggan is another player I think has what it takes to become a star. There’s lot of great looking 1st gens but those 3 have caught my eye early on. I’m sure others will emerge though and I obviously don’t know everyone yet.

[Image: alexsander_barkov_nhl_combine_053113.jpg]
Growing tired of questions... Parmborg longs for his parm.

Media: Some experts have speculated you may not play long in the SMJHL, any truth to that?

Parmborg: No, I have guaranteed Halifax 2 seasons with a possibility for a 3rd. I made sure I was open and honest with all teams leading up to the draft on what to expect from Parmborg’s SMJHL career. I do want to win a 4 star cup badly so I’m a Raider for the next 2 and possibly 3 unless Calgary needs my services in that 3rd year. I just want to focus on being as good of a Halifax Raider I can be over the next 2 seasons, we’ll worry about year 3 after we win the 4 star cup.

Media: What are your impressions of the team and locker room so far?

Parmborg: I’ve been extremely impressed with the team and locker room. All great people who have made me feel very welcome. They have even embraced the parm ideology which means a lot to me. Some of them even changed their discord names to parm related names which has been hilarious. I immediately felt welcome and at home in Halifax. I knew a few guys already and a few more from recent scouting but it’s been fun to interact with everyone and they have some cool ideas for team related bonding and stuff like that. I know I’m going to enjoy myself and management has been good to me also. Very happy in Halifax, could not have asked for anything more.

Media: You mentioned Halifax has a lot of good veteran players, can you talk about them a bit?

Parmborg: Sure I would love to! The first guy that comes to mind is Jimmy Slothface, that guy is a legend in the making, can’t wait to step out on the ice with him. Sloth was someone who I’ve been following since last season and now being able to play on a team with him is really exciting. Andrej Doskoscil, even if his name is impossible to spell I’m excited to be his teammate, another player who I followed last season and has impressed. Matt Kholin is another guy who I think is a great young player and is loaded with talent. I also think Troy Reynolds has really made a name for himself and is well on his way to becoming a star. Perry Morgan is a fast riser in this league and has a great player going, he has big potential as well. Then our goalie Mike McKorsy is a beauty in net, he’s got a lot of talent and has been super active. Ricardo Cotaly is a solid looking defender with upside and I think Kristoffer Matson and Dylan Karlsson both have a lot of potential. An older player than stand out to me is obviously Dominic Montgomery, a veteran member who’s super active and is building another great player. I can tell right away Bilbo a leader on this team.  I’m looking forward to playing with all these players.

[Image: Aleksander-Barkov.jpg]
Parmborg can see his parm across the room... these questions have to be over with soon.

Media: Now that you are in the SMJHL again, are there any players you’re looking forward to playing against?

Parmborg: I’d have to say I’m looking forward to playing against the recent Dragons draft picks who are send downs. Guys like Barry Batsbak, Bernik Vzrala and Oliver Klozoff come to mind. All great young players on different teams who I will look forward to playing against. It’s going to be fun to go up against my buddies on the ice. I’m especially looking forward to going up against Maxime Bouchard though, one of the top talents in the entire SMJHL and a good friend.

Media: Any teams you’re really looking forward to playing against?

Parmborg: I’d have to say Montreal. I know their GM’s well and while I would have loved to play for them it will be even more fun to go up against them, especially in the post-season. I’m really looking forward to a potential Montreal-Halifax 7 game series. I will definitely be in their ear if that happens. Should be fun.

Media: What is Halifax’s outlook for the season?

Parmborg: I think we have an excellent chance to win this season. I’m still learning about my team but I can tell we have a lot of talented hard working players who will do what it takes to win a championship. We have strong defense and goaltending as well as high a powered offense that will be improving each week. I think we can make some serious noise this season, should be a lot of fun.

Media: Well we’ve asked you a lot of questions, but now we have the important one…
What is your pre-game meal?

Parmborg: I feel like this is a set up.. if I don’t say chicken parm, my entire reputation will be ruined, but it’s actually true. Chicken parm over pasta is my pre-game meal as well as my post-game meal. It gives me the right amount of protein and carbs, I will admit I go lighter on the cheese before the game then make up for it with heavier cheese after the game. Gotta replenish the system.

Media: Thanks for joining us Esa Parmborg, best of luck to you and the Halifax Raiders this season.

Parmborg: (Picks up his parm) My pleasure, thanks for having me. CHOMP!!! (eats parm)

[Image: Chicken-Parm-Hero.png]

Towel Towel Towel Towel

raiders  raiders  raiders  raiders

Code:
2,350 Words - Double Media

---> ParmBorg Highlights <---
[Image: cgv4vCv.png] Goal[Image: 95lCCDx.png]
[Image: parmborg.gif]

[Image: steelhead77.gif]

#1 All-Time SHL Goal & Point Scorer 
- First 2,000 TPE Player in SHL History - 
- First 400 Goal Scorer in SHL History -
- Only 500 Goal Scorer in SHL History -
- First GM to Win 5 & 6 Challenge Cups -
Esa Anrikkanen Award - SMJHL ROY - Est. S34
Vidrik Onoprienko Award Winner - S45

Dragonite[Image: 271.png][Image: 291.png][Image: 321.png][Image: 401.png][Image: 42banner2.png][Image: r-Wt4-AB350oooo.png] Dragonite

My prediction for Esa's rookie stats: 50 GP, 10 goals, 15 assists, 3 instances of bail money provided to Raider teammates, 4 instances of alcohol theft covered up, 2 nightclub brawl participation awards, 126 chicken parm sandwiches consumed.

[Image: 0K3YdqN.png]

Agent of Nick Brain: Center/Right Winger - Winnipeg Aurora
Agent of John Torrance: Advisor to the General Manager - Winnipeg Aurora
Agent of Anatoli Terrorov: Head Coach - Colorado Raptors

Nick Brain Player Profile: http://simulationhockey.com/showthread.php?tid=91326
Nick Brain Update Thread: http://simulationhockey.com/showthread.php?tid=91332

Thanks for the shout Esa! Good luck in the upcoming season, hope we beat you!   Outlaws Outlaws

[Image: sdcore.gif]

Player Page [Image: berserkers.png] [Image: syndicate2.png]Update Page

[Image: sgu3vVP.png]
[Image: 9vq7IEu.png]

Let's win some championships buddeh

Big Walter Ulrich
S69 Prospect

Great article Esa.

Cheers

[Image: Piastri2.png?ex=65ba64d4&is=65a7efd4&hm=...462889f09&]
[Image: or8VMxO.gif]

02-22-2019, 01:12 AMStadiumGambler Wrote: My prediction for Esa's rookie stats: 50 GP, 10 goals, 15 assists, 3 instances of bail money provided to Raider teammates, 4 instances of alcohol theft covered up, 2 nightclub brawl participation awards, 126 chicken parm sandwiches consumed.

Only a 126? I'd say at least 3 per game played.

[Image: Katth.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]
Barracuda Germany Scarecrows Knights

[Image: cgv4vCv.png] [Image: 95lCCDx.png] [Image: GATPRRX.png]
S50 Challenge Cup Finals Game 7
[Image: gNFVjT6.png]

What a great read!

I feel like you're probably sick of hearing it, but I'm so freaking excited we were able to bring you to Halifax.  Dream come true  raiders raiders raiders

[Image: 66818_s.gif]