Create Account

Weretarantula's SMJHL Way Too Late Draft Predictions

[Graders: 1600 words + research, 2x media bonus]
Wooooo a way too late predraft analysis that no one will read but I don’t care I’m making it anyway! I’ll be taking a look at the positions required on each team, and seeing what they should probably be taking in the draft. The thing that is different from when I first starting writing this, is that the draft has already been, so as a bonus I’m now going to compare my predictions here with the first and second rounds afterwards and truly see if each team took their requirements into consideration. Some of the rosters also fluctuated in players too, so if some of the numbers look off that’s probably why. Let’s get to it!

Anaheim  Outlaws
Left Wingers: 0 Right Wingers: 8 Centers: 4
Defence: 6 Goalies: 2

Anaheim should be targeting a true left winger this draft, and their centers could use some help with more active people. There are a couple of 100’s level players on this team keeping it afloat at the moment, and that’s not a good thing. A defenceman wouldn’t hurt to have either.
Post draft
First Round: Defenceman
Second Round: Right Winger
Really Anaheim? ANOTHER right winger? Surely there was ONE left winger available early on. Oh well, at least they took that defenceman I mentioned.

Anchorage  Armada
Left Wingers: 2 Right Wingers: 5 Centers: 4

Another winger is needed to fill out Anchorage’s lines, and asides from that, there’s only really their defence that need boosting. They have a lot of high TPE players in other positions. Their defence has two inactives on it currently that could use replacing.
Post Draft
Third Round: Left Winger
Anchorage stayed true to their requirements here, filling out their lines and boosting a needed area. Not really too surprising.

Colorado  Raptors
Left Wingers: 3 Right Wingers: 3 Centers: 4
Defence: 5 Goalies: 2

Colorado got hurt this off season with a bunch of their players moving up the ranks to the SHL. Realistically, they need to have a large draft to fill out their roster for the coming seasons. They are quite balanced on the wings so any two wingers they can get their hands on will be beneficial. They also need a defenceman to fill out the third pairing.
Post Draft
First Round: Left Winger
Second Round: Right Winger
(Bonus!) Third Round: Defenceman
Ding ding ding Colorado hit the nail on the head with all of their early picks, and filled out those missing slots nicely.

Detroit  Falcons
Left Wingers: 4 Right Wingers: 2 Centers: 4
Defence: 4 Goalies: 1

Detroit’s roster is so ridiculously thin, you wonder how they managed to get themselves into this position (especially given the size of the previous draft class!). Two wingers, two defenceman AND a goalie are all required to fill out their lines this time around. Luckily for them, they have an enormous amount of picks, with an astounding TEN selections for this time around. It’s hard to say what they will target first really.
Post Draft
First Round: Center
Second Round: Defenceman
A center for their first pick? I’m so confused. All that skreeing must have gone to their heads.

Halifax  raiders
Left Wingers: 2 Right Wingers: 4 Centers: 4

Like most teams, a little low in numbers on the left wing. Asides from filling out those two lines, Halifax are in a pretty good position. Their current roster are all growing nicely in TPE and they don’t have any major holes. Anything else they draft will be development pieces.
Pose Draft
Second Round: Left Winger
(Bonus!) Third Round: Defenceman
I mean, it’s Esa. Why wouldn’t you take him given the chance? Stuck to the game plan in the second but I was surprised to see the third round selection be a defenceman. They did end up drafting four wingers with their picks, they just waited later to do so.

Kelowna  Knights
Left Wingers: 2 Right Wingers: 4 Centers: 4
Defence: 7 Goalies: 1

Kelowna is in a very similar situation to Halifax. Their roster is full of players that are developing well and they basically only need to fill their wings. The one difference is Kelowna is lacking a goalie, so we’ll see if they prioritise that this draft.
Post Draft
First Round: Right Winger
Second Round: Center
(Bonus!) Third Round: Goalie
Pretty predictable really. Goalies never go early (unless it’s a tier one player). Seems the league has a penchant for right wingers (and I’m no different I built one too).

Lethbridge  Lions
Left Wingers: 3 Right Wingers: 4 Centers: 3

A defenceman is probably top priority in Lethbridge, but a center could be the go to pick too. Also need a winger, but given the amount of those needed by the rest of the league, it’s hardly surprising.
Post Draft
Second Round: Right Winger and another Right Winger
Straight forward selections here. Filled out the requirements of the team nicely.

Montreal  Militia
Defence: 7 Goalies: 2

Montreal only need a winger and a center. They have a very strong team entering the new season, with a lot of their roster in the mid to high 200’s and the rest being capped. I’d be surprised if they did anything BUT take a center in the first round.
Post Draft
Fourth Round: Right Winger
Yup, nothing shocking there. Did exactly what was needed.

St Louis  Scarecrows
Left Wingers: 4 Right Wingers: 3 Centers: 5
Defence: 7 Goalies: 2

One winger is all that the Scarecrows need to be completely full everywhere. It seems to be a pretty common occurrence amongst all the teams oddly enough. Wingers are a popular choice for players to make, so I’m surprised there isn’t more of a surplus of them to be honest. St Louis will probably just use their picks to take players they think will be stars to be honest.
Post Draft
First Round: Right Winger
Second Round: Defenceman
And there you have it. The predictable thing happened. Moving on!

Vancouver  Whalers

Finally we come to the Whalers, who need to fill a couple slots in their roster. Defence, on the wing and down the middle all need to be addressed this draft. I get the feeling they will prioritise a center above all else, but they could still go with a defenceman here too. Or you know, completely prove me wrong and pick a goalie. I dunno I’m not a mind reader.
Post Draft
Second Round: Center and Left Winger
Done and done. With Vancouver being helmed by Luke, I had no doubt in my mind he probably knew exactly what he wanted to target months ago.

And with that, we are all done! Thanks to anyone who actually took the time to read through this, I know it was kind of pointless given I was too late, but whatever. It’s interesting to try and look into the minds of the GM’s and see what they will do. And sorry for saying the word surprising a lot, but you know, there's only so many ways you can express yourself when talking about the same topic over and over again.

[Image: first.png]
[img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/rWt4AB3.png[/img][img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/rWt4AB3.png[/img]
Maxime Bouchard
Armada Dragons Info - Updates  Dragons Armada
Richard Dickbutt McFudderdudder II
Armada Info - Updates Armada

Thank you, but not one man can draft alone. Glyc and Infidel are godsends when It comes to drafting

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

02-22-2019, 09:29 AMluketd Wrote: Thank you, but not one man can draft alone. Glyc and Infidel are godsends when It comes to drafting

Whilst that may be true, you know as well as I you are the king of stats my friend.

[Image: first.png]
[img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/rWt4AB3.png[/img][img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/rWt4AB3.png[/img]
Maxime Bouchard
Armada Dragons Info - Updates  Dragons Armada
Richard Dickbutt McFudderdudder II
Armada Info - Updates Armada

Ilike

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria

Nice look at the needs of teams heading into the draft and how they addressed them.

Cheers

---> ParmBorg Highlights <---
[Image: cgv4vCv.png] Goal[Image: 95lCCDx.png]
[Image: parmborg.gif]

[Image: steelhead77.gif]

#1 All-Time SHL Goal & Point Scorer 
- First 2,000 TPE Player in SHL History - 
- First 400 Goal Scorer in SHL History -
- Only 500 Goal Scorer in SHL History -
- First GM to Win 5 & 6 Challenge Cups -
Esa Anrikkanen Award - SMJHL ROY - Est. S34
Vidrik Onoprienko Award Winner - S45

Dragonite[Image: 271.png][Image: 291.png][Image: 321.png][Image: 401.png][Image: 42banner2.png][Image: r-Wt4-AB350oooo.png] Dragonite