Create Account

First Impressions

*2x Draft Media Special*

As a Co-GM of the Anaheim Outlaws, I'd like to think I'm a pretty big deal. Huge. So I should have a large opinion, especially about the new players that we just added in the S46 SMJHL Entry Draft, and that is what I'm going to give you. Here are my first impressions and opinions about the S46 Anaheim Outlaws class!

[Image: 2016-draft-class.jpg]

1st Round (2nd Overall) - D Corey Kennedy (SDCore)

Going into the draft, there was a large contingent in our head office that were totally cool with trading the 2nd overall pick in order to move down, and perhaps pick up a player along with a pick. We knew Lethbridge was going to take Thomas Bathory with the first pick, leaving us with an SHL legend, so it was quite the debate on whether to keep the pick or explore moving down. When Halifax traded for the 1st overall pick with the intentions on picking Parmborg first, which kind of eliminated our opportunity on moving down, which was fine, because we knew we were going to get a great player.

Corey Kennedy came out of nowhere and made an immediate impression on us. His media, activity and the fact he created as a defenseman were all big pluses for us, and the GM of the Outlaws, Dangles, really likes taking chances on first gens and pushing them into the forefront. A guy like Marc Hagan (with his Renegades ties) or other veterans of the site would have been surefire picks at that spot, but we were all in agreement that we liked what Kennedy brought and it was worth taking a chance on this guy. High risk, because you never know if new guys will burn out after being extremely active, but it's high reward, because this guy could be one of the next big stars of the SHL and he's going to help us for the next few seasons in the SMJHL.

The Outlaws are very happy with this pick.

2nd Round (13th Overall) - RW Seemu Telanne (hockeyis66)

We were hoping that a guy like Hagan would fall to this pick, just because we saw how far Durden fell in the S46 SHL Draft just because he was a lifelong Renegade, so we thought there was a chance teams would stay away from him until the 2nd round. We were wrong, but we found another guy in hockeyis66 that we like. A quiet guy, he previously had the defenseman Lord Vader, who capped out at over 1500 TPE and enjoyed a long career. After taking some time off, he's back with a winger who looks promising so far. The fact he took time off from the site is a positive for me, anyways, because it's like he's starting new and hopefully won't get bored and leave early in his players career. A sniper forward with a scoring touch is someone that we need in Anaheim so I hope that he does stick around and caps out and gives us a great few seasons.

3rd Round (23rd Overall) - C Martijn Westbroek (JNH)

Sweet Dutch. Another old timer who's made a few players in the past, but he took some time off before coming back with Westbroek which is a good sign. Hopefully he'll stick around and stay in our locker room and help out the rookies while also updating regularly. He's already up to 211 TPE, which is great. If he doesn't get bored and leaves for the next few weeks, the pick will be a steal. If he stays around and creates a superstar center, then Anaheim won the lotto with this 3rd round pick.

4th Round (33rd Overall) - LW Gunnar Petrov (Hanson94)

Another player back from an absence, Hanson94 comes back after 6 years. He might as well be a newbie considering how I'm sure everything has changed since 2012, but we are excited about this pick as well, not just because he's our only natural left winger. This pick was interesting, because Petrov was taken one pick before Akashi SixNine, who some were saying before the draft could have gone in the first round, but we trust the Dangles, and he saw something in Petrov and at this point, he's not disappointing us. With the preseason coming soon, we expect Petrov to play a big role for us, and he could be another late round steal for the Anaheim Outlaws. Even if he plays just five seasons with this player like his old one, that's a 4th round steal right there no matter how well SixNine does in his career.

5th Round (43rd Overall) - C Slap McShotty (bbjygm)

A 5th round pick posting media already? Damn. Sure, he may not be active in the locker room, but as long as he keeps it up and sticks around, this pick is a win no matter what. He's up to 180 TPE before the preseason, which is fantastic, and is looking to become more of a pass-first center, which could be great along side the two new wingers we picked up in the draft. That could be the future first line in a season or two. Stay active and updating and this guy could be the next Mattias Seger.

6th Round (53rd Overall) - D Gustav Steen (gussi)

The 6th round is a round for risks and this is a low risk, high reward pick. Although not entirely active, with no update page, Steen did log on after he was drafted. Then did nothing. If he comes back, he could be a big part of the defense corps, but don't be surprised if he doesn't last the season on the roster if another defenseman comes along with a little more activity. Tis a shame, but that's what the 6th round is for.

Overall, the Anaheim Outlaws management is very happy with their picks. These are the guys who are going to carry the Outlaws from the team who loses in the playoff play-in round, to a team looking not only to win a playoff round, but contend with the best of the best in the SMJHL. The locker room is better after this draft, with us adding a cast of characters, but we aren't done adding and tinkering with the club in order to put the best team possible on the ice.

*1058 words*

You are a big deal bb

[Image: unknown.png]

UsaScarecrowsBlizzardSpecters | [Image: specterspp.png][Image: spectersupdate.png] | TimberArmadaSpectersFinland

[Image: cainbanner_35.jpg]

Outlaws you won't regret it. Thanks for the kind words. Let's do big things this year.

[Image: sdcore.gif]

Player Page [Image: berserkers.png] [Image: syndicate2.png]Update Page

[Image: sgu3vVP.png]
[Image: 9vq7IEu.png]

Thanks for the nice write up and don’t worry I can wait to spend my 4-5 seasons with Anaheim! I at least want a better smjhl experience than I had the last time!