Create Account

My take on endorsements/sponsorships.

• Each SHL player with 4 or more career seasons can issue one sponsorship per season.
  • Each SMJHL player with 3 or less career seasons can receive one sponsorship per season.
  • This means an S48 rookie can get a sponsorship in S47, S48, S49, and from S50 onwards, issue sponsorships themselves.
  • All sponsorships must be issued before the trade deadline, and can be issued any time after SMJHL draft has been completed.

• A sponsorship is a direct payment from the senior sponsor to the junior receiver of 2 to 4 million SHL dollars.
  • The junior receiver gets that money outright; it is now theirs, no matter what happens from then on.
  • At the end of the season, the senior sponsor is reimbursed for their sponsorship based on how many milestones the junior receiver hits.
  • These milestones would be universal and set by HO/PT staff/someone neutral so that there's no abuse of the system for profit.

• These milestones may include,
    *** Seasonal TPE earning goals,
    *** Media earning goals (total payments over the season),
    *** Graphics earning goals (total payments over the season),
    *** Sim performance goals,
    *** Confirmed participation in an SHL job (banking, updating, PT team, etc),
    *** Others I haven't thought of that could be worth listing here

• The senior sponsor, ideally, should be able to make money back off a player that meets the majority of these goals; I'd put it at 50% extra back on someone who meets every standard goal (a 4m investment would result in a 6m return, for a profit of 2m).
  • The returns, therefore, would make being both a senior or junior partner in the system a desirable thing to do, without the profits being sim-breaking.
  • Someone wishing to buy all possible equipment and training for their first 3 seasons currently needs to locate around 40m. 3x4m sponsorships is a nice help, but not the end all be all.

An alternative model could flip the payment structure so that the senior partner still invests a fixed amount, but both the junior and senior partner are dependant on the milestones being met for returning payment.

[Image: avakaelsig.gif]

These are some great ideas Ava

[Image: blurrybad.jpg] [Image: zomboy3.png]
Thank you Brandon, Fish, GeckoeyGecko, Karey, Kit, takethehorizon, and Ragnar for the sigs!
[Image: Pw202QP.jpeg]

Player Page || Update page

Am I the only one who thinks that endorsements are an overly complicated way to get money for people?

It is a cool concept that certainly is interesting, but from a practicality standpoint I just see this making things even more convoluted for members.

Alonzo Garbanzo Final Tallies (Among Defensemen):
2nd in Goals (208), All-Time Assists Leader (765)*, All-Time Points Leader (973), 3rd in Hits (2587), All-Time Blocked Shots Leader (1882)*
*All-Time Leader Among All Skaters
Player Profile | Update Thread
[Image: IeEV7Iv.png]

(This post was last modified: 02-25-2019, 11:59 PM by Daco.)

02-25-2019, 11:25 PMArGarBarGar Wrote: Am I the only one who thinks that endorsements are an overly complicated way to get money for people?

It is a cool concept that certainly is interesting, but from a practicality standpoint I just see this making things even more convoluted for members.

I agree. This seems unnecessary and pointless/confusing. No offense to the idea, it just seems like another way users would be confused and it's not like it's needed.

[Image: S3zuZxo.png]
[Image: 10cjae8.png]

02-25-2019, 11:25 PMArGarBarGar Wrote: Am I the only one who thinks that endorsements are an overly complicated way to get money for people?

I actually agree. But the idea has been pushed over and over since Bojo was Commissioner, so I'm just trying to suggest an option that's as straightforward as possible.

The big issue I think people are trying to solve with ideas like endorsements is that media is a simple solution, but not always an exciting or flavorful one. You don't feel more like a hockey player by writing a 5000 word fluff piece. You do feel more like a hockey player by getting paid to represent a brand.

02-26-2019, 01:00 AMgrok Wrote: The big issue I think people are trying to solve with ideas like endorsements is that media is a simple solution, but not always an exciting or flavorful one. You don't feel more like a hockey player by writing a 5000 word fluff piece. You do feel more like a hockey player by getting paid to represent a brand.

Very good point

[Image: crtigger.gif]
[Image: murphy.png]

02-26-2019, 01:00 AMgrok Wrote: The big issue I think people are trying to solve with ideas like endorsements is that media is a simple solution, but not always an exciting or flavorful one. You don't feel more like a hockey player by writing a 5000 word fluff piece. You do feel more like a hockey player by getting paid to represent a brand.

I can see that, I just think this is a bit convoluted and am more of a fan someone else posted in another thread where it's just you get 3mil instead of making money through other media; it's basically welfare/social security helping out the people would be not making money at all otherwise, and people who do make content wouldn't be able to take advantage of it. Gets the mid-low tier players through a season without being as far behind from their peers and lets them make a servicable player.

[Image: S3zuZxo.png]
[Image: 10cjae8.png]

I think the confusion or added work that goes with endorsements is always what prevents it from becoming a thing. I like the idea of adding more things to do on the site but we need to figure out a way to reach the most people. I would like to see more people throwing ideas around in here to add to Ava's idea.

[Image: SS19INy.jpg]

[Image: d9J5DHT.png]  [Image: 16PgOBm.png]

I like this idea but it needs more planning to make it more simpler
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2019, 12:25 AM by Avakael.)

02-26-2019, 10:54 AMDangles13 Wrote: I think the confusion or added work that goes with endorsements is always what prevents it from becoming a thing.  I like the idea of adding more things to do on the site but we need to figure out a way to reach the most people. I would like to see more people throwing ideas around in here to add to Ava's idea.

It's the over-complication in the ideas presented that always sets the endorsements idea back. This iteration is essentially just an extra bank thread for posting payments at the start of the endorsement, and an end of season milestone style claim system at the other end. The more frills we add to it, the more work there is to be done, the more tangential side issues get endlessly debated, and the more reasons pile up to not go ahead with something that people have wanted for years.

If I was to make an extra suggestion, it would be to allow senior partners to sponsor more than one junior partner; but with a hard cap on the potential earnings you can actually get from endorsement milestone bonuses, so you aren't just funding an entire players career on being a pimp.

I like the ideas Ava presented, but how would we decide what is a fair milestone for endorsement. Say 10 goals is one, a shutdown playmaker or someone on team lower in the standings would have a tough time reaching it. I think it would have to have an individual evaluation for each sponsorship in that case which would take a lot of extra effort to ensure fairness.

I think if sponsers were always guaranteed to at least break even, it might work better. Then they would get bonuses from the milestones. Perhaps there would be a list of possible milestones and both sides would have to pick a certain number from the list before the season. This would take some of the workload off, while allowing for variance(Say there are differing levels for bigger bonuses. For example: 10/18/26 goals with a 5/10/15% return accordingly. The milestone would have to be declared ahead of time so you and the sponsor have to think about what's realistic.)

[Image: spartangibbles.gif]
[Image: qGhUIfY.png]  Outlungus   Usa Monarchs  [Image: PlcJv9V.png]