Create Account

S46 SMJHL PT 3 - League Leaders
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2019, 01:44 PM by ej27.)

As a rookie, you have a lot to learn and a long way to go, and the veterans in the league are the ones who have already made it. But where were they when they were just like you? It's time to find out.

Task

Pick a senddown on one of the leaderboards and compare their performance so far this season with their performance in their rookie season.

Written option: Must include at least 150 words and 3 stats.  If you miss the word count by more than 5 words, you will be docked TPE.
Graphic option: Must include a render and 4 stats.

Reward
4 TPE for doing the thing. (Just one of the options, not both.)

Only S46 SMJHL Rookies (S47 SHL Rookies) are eligible for this PT.

Do NOT claim TPE for this task until a post has been made in the claim thread.

Deadline Sunday March 17th, 10am CST

For welfare claims from PBE and NSFL, comment with a link to the corresponding PT to receive credit.

[Image: 45029_v.gif]

Sigs by: King, Tweedledunn, Me
Player Page|Twitter|Update Page
(This post was last modified: 03-15-2019, 05:56 PM by XLeafer.)

Lethbridge Lions are the best growing team in the league right now. After a terrific draft last season and this season, they will be better and better. It is important to know that a rookie season does not have to be good but the season after, they will show who they truly are. I am picking the greatest Lions player in franchise history, The ape or money, Monkey D. Luffy. He has 30 points this season after 36 games which is actually solid. Compared to his rookie season where he had 31 points which is unbelievable for just a rookie player. I don't know how he did not win the best rookie award but the award committee and not shockingly terrible. Luffy has 17 assists so far and last season had 16 assists so that stat is already an improvement. And the best stat in hockey history +/-. He was a -4 in his rookie season because the team was absolutely shit, but now he is a +11 because he has a GOAT on the team. So yeah, Luffy is the best.

[Image: giphy.gif]

(This post was last modified: 03-12-2019, 05:07 PM by Randominoe.)

Bobby Sharp was drafted in the 5th round of the S45 SMJHL Entry Draft, 45th overall, by the Kelowna Knights, where he has since developed into a top 10 center from his draft and has maxed out his build for the SMJHL. He ended the S45 SMJHL season on the first line alongside Nickolas Klaus and Nolan Sawchuk, by the end he scored 10 goals and had 17 assists through 50 games. He also led his team in +/- with a +17, and was very disciplined with only 12 penalty minutes despite playing a physical game with 51 hits. He helped Kelowna secure the third seed heading into the playoffs, where they were swept in 4 games by the eventual Four-Star Cup Champions St. Louis Scarecrows. 

Shortly after the heartbreak of being eliminated from the SMJHL playoffs, Sharp's mood was lifted similarly to his draft stock as he was drafted early in the second round of the S46 SHL Entry Draft by the Buffalo Stampede, at 19th overall. He was an early send down for the Stampede and has rejoined his army of Knights as they begin Bobby's second run for a championship. Sharp began season 46 right where he left off at the end of season 45, on a line with Klaus and Sawchuk, and they have excelled through the first 30 games. Sharp has already matched his season totals from last season scoring 10 goals and has 17 assists through just 30 games. He is second on the team with a +/- of +12 and only has 8 penalty minutes while throwing 29 hits. Alongside his talented line-mates, Shark has propelled Kelowna to the top of the standings thus far in season 46. Kelowna has 40 points and are on pace to smash their point total from last season, and Sharp has been a very impactful player for them.

Simmer claim

PatriotesUsaWhalers

[Image: CampinKiller.gif]

For this PT I have chosen to analyze Bernik Vrzala. He is currently 7th in the league in assists and is leading the Vancouver Whalers. He is also on our first line defensive pairing ahead of me so it makes sense choosing him. During Vrzala’s rookie season with the whalers he went (0-19-19) in 50 games, this season he is (0-16-0) in 24, almost reaching his point total from last year in half as many games. This leads me into Bernik’s P/20, during his rookie season he had a p/20 of 0.37, which due to his uptick in scoring this season has almost doubled to 0.60. One of the defining stats for a defenseman in my opinion and perhaps one of the most important overall is the plus/minus. Bernik’s +/- last season was a stunning -21 in 50 games, this season he's only at -8 in 24 games, so he's slowly getting that in check.

[Image: xVW1vec.png]

[Image: OgNASDg.png] |  | [Image: JvdaXOj.png]
[Image: lUeg4KM.png]

Jakub Novak joined the league in Season 44 putting up 4 goals and 13 assists for a total of 17 points well being a minus 1 playing a bit under 12minutes of ice time. This season in half the games Novak is already at 16 points, 10 goals and 6 assists well being a minus 4, playing 20 minutes a night. Well his stats may not flash out as a top dog his value as a leader in the locker room has been great. He's has leant his ear to the rookie many times, and tried to encourage the 4th line center who was struggling to adapt from being a star to now just being a role player behind the veteran line up. Since the pep talk Peralta has found himself higher in the line up and putting up much better points. He is on pace to finish the season with 12 points.

[Image: oiItRpb.png]
[Image: MpTRQ8p.png]

I picked Borromini Cannellini Whalers because
a) Last season he was a 3rd line center on the Whalers which is who I am right now
b) This season he’s arguably the best player in the SMJHL as he’s leading the league in goals, points and shots.

So let’s look at his stats

G: 5 -> 15 (+10 improvement)
A: 13 -> 16 (+3)
P: 18 -> 31 (+13)
+/-: -5 -> 20 (+25)
SHT: 79 -> 103 (+24)
AMG: 15.7 -> 21.07 (+5.37)
PPP: 3 -> 4 (+1)
PKM: 1 -> 63 (+62)

We can see that he improved significantly in every statistical category, even though there are 24 games left to play this season.
To get the full picture, here’s what his stats will be if he continues scoring at this pace: 29 G, 31 A, 60 P, +38, 198 SHT.

In one season Cannellini went from a serviceable 3rd line center to a SMJHL superstar logging big minutes for his team at even strength and on the PP/PK.

Player info | Updates | Stats
SteelhawksCanadaWhalers

[Image: aawil.gif]

I've decided to compare my teammate and linemate Borromini Cannellini as he is having an amazing season right now. He is currently leading the league in goals, points, and shots. He is the number one center in the SMJHL this season, has the highest points per 20 in the league and is in second place for plus/minus, only one behind our other linemate Petr Mikulak. Last season - his rookie season - Cannellini finished with 18 points (5-13-18) and a plus/minus of -5 through 50 games. That's a big difference from this season where he has 31 points (15-16-31) and is a +20 in just 26 games played. He also only had 79 shots last season and has already surpassed that just halfway through the current season with 103. His points per 20 is another stat that skyrocketed this season going from 0.46 to 1.13 this season. Overall, a huge jump for Cannellini from his rookie season to now.

[Image: grayhd.gif]

[Image: YztPk3T.png] [Image: 6by0kBi.png]

I guess I'll write about Borromini Cannellini. Mr. Cannellini had an alright rookie season all things considered. 18 points in 50 games. Granted only 5 of those were goals, but that is still pretty good for a rookie. He might have wanted to work on his defense, as his plus/minus was a -5, but overall I'd say that was a successful rookie campaign that shows a lot of promise. Now let's look at Mr. Cannellini's current stats and compare them to his rookie season. Man did he have quite the jump in the production. 31 points in 26 games played. That is incredible. That's an average of 1.19 points a game! And remember when I said he might have wanted to improve his defense so he can up his plus/minus? Well, he did do that, and now has a plus/minus of +20!

The player I am going to look at is my Lions goalie partner (and role model Bowdown) Patrice Nadeau. He is currently in his second season, so I have the perfect player to compare myself to.
In his rookie season Nadeau immediately took the role as a starter for the Lions and played a total of 43 games. These resulted in 13 wins, 27 losses (which unfortunately made him the leader on the board in that category) and 3 OT/SO losses. During the season he had a save percentage of 0.883 (still a decent 6th place), an average goals against of 3.23 per game (8th place) and zero shutouts. We are only 26 games into the season at the time of writing, but it is safe to say that Nadeau has turned his game around a lot. At the moment he leads all goalies in SV% with 0.913, is second in GAA with 2.36 (Vancouver's Casimir Stevens is barely ahead with 2.35 and this might change with the next game) and is tied in first place with 2 shutouts. In his 17 games played he had 10 wins, 6 losses and 1 shootout loss. If we assume that he gets to play 33 games this season (2/3 of all games), he is on pace for 19 wins, which is still a huge improvement.

[Image: zS2lCMp.png] 

[Image: carpy48.gif]
sigs either by @Wasty, @Nokazoa, @sulovilen, @Capt_Blitzkrieg, @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @enigmatic, @Lime or myself

Stars Lions Berserkers
[Image: p1gG0LD.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: ctsxTFg.png]
my portfolio | my sig shop | gfx discord
[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]
[Image: AfpXX8l.png]

Borromini Cannellini is probably the best pick for this for one simple reason: He is leading the league in points when he wasn't even close the season before. He went from 5 goals to 15 so far, 3 more assists than he had last season (13 to 16), and his plus minus is through the roof, going from -5 to +20. That is something that you don't normally see. He also is much more of a shooter than he was last saaeson, already in the 100s with plenty of games left to spare. That is the one thing people don't talk about, is the fact he is crushing his past numbers even though he is only halfway through. Can you believe him? It is safe to say he will be the MVP (maybe?) even though many others are probably vying for the honors. Oh well! Maybe those players should work a little harder?

For this Point Task, I will be analyzing center Raino Kyllonen. Kyllonen is in his second year and plays on the first line for the Detroit Falcons. 26 games into the season, he is ranked 5th in the league in scoring for centers. In those 26 games, he has tallied 8 goals and 13 assists for 21 total points. As a rookie in the SMJHL last season, Kyllonen posted an impressive 11 goals and 21 assists for a total of 32 points. Now just beyond the halfway mark of this season, he is only 11 points short of his total from all of last season. Kyllonen is also playing a more physical game this season than he did last season. Through 50 games as a rookie, he made a total of 32 hits. Now just 26 games into season 46, he already has 29 hits. As a center, one key part of his game is face-offs. He has shown a slight improvement from last season in that area, bringing his face-off win percentage up from 50.54% last season to 51.14% so far this season.

In his rookie season, fellow Anaheim Outlaw right winger Collin Gibbles had 9 goals and 20 assists for 29 points. He also had an even rating and played about 17 minutes per game. He did see significant playing time on the power play in which he had a goal and five assists while playing a little bit of time on the penalty killing units. He finished the season playing on the second line for the Outlaws.

Already through 26 games this season, Gibbles has surpassed his goal total from last season with 11 and also has 10 assists for 21 points putting him on pace to break 40 this season. He is also a +4 on the season. He is only playing about 1-2 minutes more per game and is also on the first line, but his points per 20 minutes has gone up to 0.87 this season compared to 0.67 from last season. He is still a major piece to the Anaheim power play and has 5 assists so far matching his total from last season in half the time.

These improvements as well as his leadership on and off the ice are one of the many reasons why the Outlaws have been near the top of the league so far this season.

Leopold Lockhart :anchorage: leads the league in points for a defenseman (5th overall), with 5-19-24 this season. That is amazing, but let's compare it to his rookie season. He got 8-23-31. He's hoping to beat it being on target for around 50 points this season, so a big improvement over that. He needs to pick up his goalscoring if he wants to beat his goal count from his rookie season by much though. He does have the slight disadvantage of playing on a line with a rookie though (it doesn't seem to be fazing him though). If Anchorage continue their upswing, he might be able to beat the +/- of -4 from the rookie season, but he's not a long way ahead right now with -1. His current trajectory would suggest an improved sense of discipline though, getting 32 PIMs in his rookie season and just 10 so far this time. Hopefully this will be another great season for the Anchorage skipper.

[Image: 58170_v.gif]
[Image: 58170_s.gif]
Thanks to @Carpy48 , @sköldpaddor, @Weretarantula, @Bruins10  and @Wasty  for sigs
Extra special thanks to @Julio Tokolosh for the sick gif one

For my analysis, I am covering Kit Smeb. Coming in as a rookie last season, Kit Smeb tore it up with 14 goals and 12 assists for a 26 point total in 50 games played, a .52 point/game pace. He also managed to be extremely disciplined by tallying only TWO penalty minutes all season! Impressive to say the least -- it was probably the rookie jitters and fears from 60 second drills ordered by the coach for taking a bad penalty that kept him out of the box. But things seem to have changed for Kit. He seems to be settling into the league and finding his game early on. With 9 goals and 9 assists in 26 games, he is on a .69 PPG pace halfway through the season, a marginal improvement over his rookie year points pace. Furthermore, Kit has managed to rack up 9 PIMs so far, almost a 500% increase from last season in half the amount of time. With Kit already hitting 18 points in 26 games, its fair to believe he will reach new career highs in both the goals, assists, and point production -- especially if he brings his shooting percentage back up a bit more. In his rookie season, Kit ended with a 16.09 SH% with 14.58 min/game, a unsustainable SH% especially considering the low deployment. This season he is holding 10.59% with 17.88 min/g, certainly a more sustainable output especially with the increased deployment. Coaches seem to see the talent in our sophomore forward, and we hope that his production continues to trend upwards as Detroit looks to improve their record in the second half of the season. Falcons

278 words my dudes

[Image: PvZbGlD.png]
[Image: FszcRvP.png]
Thanks @"AndrewWarren13" for the sig