Create Account

PT DEPARTMENT: STATE OF THE UNION (S46)
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2019, 09:49 PM by DeletedAtUserRequest.)

Hello everyone!

I am Mike Izzy the 'People's' PTD and i would like to introduce to you the PT departments first state of the union post which i plan to do each season!  I 100000% believe that i work for you guys, the SHL community... and it's always been one of my primary jobs to listen to everyone, be flexible when i can and to try to incorporate your suggestions with the direction i want to take the department.  Point tasks are at the center of a players life cycle so it's an important area of the site and one which brings out a lot of passion from the league..so our dept believes its best to have this post made each season.

Post Index
-Philosophy
-This Season
-What’s New or changing
-Suggestions
-Our team

**PHILOSOPHY**

Since this is the first time doing this im going to discuss a little of the current departmental strategies in place.  i have accepted these strategies through my 3 seasons of experiences..

A. 4 factions of opinions dominate the point task direction:
- Those that enjoy PT's which are SIM/stats related.
- Those that want all PTs to be easy to do.
- Those that enjoy new/creative based topics.
- Those that want to get rid of PT's altogether.

One of the hardest parts of the job is trying to find ways to please all groups (which ive learned is ultimately impossible) all factions very much believe that their way is the right way and if there not being properly represented in the tasks they let you know. This isnt case specific to my time as PTD, this revolving door about PT direction has been going on since PT's begun and its a hard issue to tackle because constantly coming up with engaging ideas for tasks isnt an easy job.. i would suspect that past PT departments primary objective was simply to find enough topics to threw out there each season, and that would put people's feelings on direction in the back-burner.

Our strategy is to give everyone a little of what they want without veering to hard to any one topic category. It may not be a perfect solution for everyone but in an open forum with hundreds of people from all facets of life it's probably our best one. This philosophy is what i try to do each season. In our 5 PTs in S46.. 2 were community based, 1 was historical and 2 were Character based.

B. Be careful with redundant topics:
I try to stay away from duplicating the same recycled posts which many of our long time members have done and grown tired of. Every few seasons boasts a new group of members so when i do add something that's been done before i make sure to give it a creative twist to keep it fresh.

C. Believe in your point tasks:
Every task that we post is a task that i believe in! and i make sure to present them in that way... adding visuals and creating the scene are important! if you throw out a task on a shit platter, your asking for shit... im always excited to post our PTs and watch the community involvement and i believe how its presented is important to its reaction. Not everyone views PTs as something enjoyable to do but you do want your PTD to try his best to change your mind on that.

D. Good topics are paramount:
This is self explanatory.

----------------------------------------------------------------

**THIS SEASON**

S46 task Breakdown:
S46 PT #1 - SHL! True Hollywood Story (Historical Based)
S46 PT #2 - SHL Cribs (Character based)
S46 PT #3 - The Red Carpet (Character Based)
S46 PT #4 - Discord Commissioner (Community Based)
S46 PT #5 - Salary Cap Report (Community Based)

Weekend Funtimes:
WFT's: Make the Case (S46)
Weekend Funtime: Player Alias
Weekend Funtime: Greetings SHL
S46 Weekend Funtime: Topps Player Bio

PT #5 is currently in progress and marks the end of what has been a very exciting year for point tasks! a record-breaking amount of members contributed to them, most topics turned out to have strong engagement with many of the tasks going over the minimum requirements asked! .. Most of the feedback we have received has been good about this seasons topics and we all thank you guys for letting us know when you are pleased!

**WHAT’S NEW OR CHANGING**

WFT's 'Make the Case' and other discussion related topics:
The success of our newest WFT titled 'make the Case' is clear!  it has shown that there is a thirst for more SIM/League related discussion topics!  make the case will be an annual WFT post moving forward and i am currently working on adding a 2nd discussion based WFT in the hopes that we find better equilibrium between the factions of topics we typically throw out there.

CW Change:
We have decided to add more questions to the CW to give everyone a bit more variety!  Doing 5-6 point tasks in a week is allot to do so having more options to choose from should make the CW more palatable.

Discussion Leaders:
This was a topic brought up recently.. of late the WFT's have not had a lot of discussion based topics and with that it has brought up the question about how and why we choose our discussion leaders. It's a fair point and one which our department discussed and will tweak. below are the changes..

*NEW* we are changing the name from a 'Discussion Leader' to 'Participation+ Members'. this is a broader meaning which represents all types of tasks and allows for creative, funny and posts which go above and beyond to be rewarded at the full discretion of the PT grader.

*NEW*  Next season we are lowering the amount of Participation+ we give out to '3' for any non discussion related topics.. while increasing the number to '8' members for all discussion based WFT's.  This ratio seems more appropriate and should entice members to contribute to the discussion based topics.

Stricter Policy on task criteria:
Our department will be stricter on the point task criteria moving forward. If your 30 seconds late on a task deadline your task will not be graded. if your task did not reach the minimum word count TPE will be deducted on your PT's and not given at all on your WFT's. Were also going to be stricter on making sure all of the criteria is being followed.. if we asked for 3 bullet points on a graphic and we see 2 bullet points, we will deduct TPE.

GIF's:
GIF's will no longer be a part of the graphic criteria and wont be accepted as a graphic task.

Podtasks:
Weve seen the growth of our Pod industry over the past few seasons and we have recognized it with an annual Podtask in our CW's. But moving forward we will also be adding a podtask to our weekly point tasks (on a limited basis)... as in tasks that the topic can be discussed or debated. The information on our podtask criteria would be in the task itself but a 5 minute 1 man podcast on the topic at hand would be the requirements to earn the TPE. While pods are still a niche within the community, we are excited to offer the league another way to earn your weekly TPE.

PM system:
Too many posts which should be in a suggestion box thread or sent to us through PM end up in the thunderdome. We are no longer chasing individual issues around the boards. if you have a question or found an issue which requires us to look over.. it should be sent to 1 of the 6 members of our PT department. **If you want us to work with you, you have to work with us eh... this is one of the requests we are asking from you.**

** YOUR SUGGESTIONS**

Sometimes i think our department gets thrown in with the issues that our members have with other departments when it comes to transparency, flexibility and listening to what you guys want. But in reality a ton of changes and adds have been inspired by you guys!

3 on 3 showdown created due to an issue @luketd  brought up about the difficulty of winning the predictions task.

WFT's Make the Case was added to increase the amount of SIM discussion inspired by a request from @Tomasnz @ArGarBarGar and @Baelor Swift

3 points tasks and 3 WFT's over my tenor have been added directly from your suggestions and i have another 4-5 in the queue

Changing of the times we close the tasks to sunday 10 pm was a suggestion made by league rock star @ligma

Many changes to the CW including more topics, more variety have come from the community.

and there are plenty more...

**OUR DEPARTMENT**

I don't think enough credit goes to the 5 members of our department who under my time has NEVER allowed a PT to be graded late. every member goes out of their way to get a task graded for you guys as quickly as possible. Behind the scenes every member works collectively to ensure were doing our part to make your experience better.

@Ace @goilers @Mackkz @Inf1d3l @Esso2264

Alright, so that's pretty much everything! i will now open this post to any comments, questions, thoughts or ideas... and if i can will answer some of them.

Izz -

1650 words

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria

Great work by the PT team, the tasks have been enjoyable!

Just a quick question: 
Quote:CW Change:

We have decided to add more questions to the CW to give everyone a bit more variety!  Doing 5-6 point tasks in a week is allot to do so having more options to choose from should make the CW more palatable

Will the TPE rewarded from CW stay the same?

[Image: Kalakar1.gif]

(This post was last modified: 03-24-2019, 12:43 PM by DeletedAtUserRequest.)

03-24-2019, 12:41 PMKalakar Wrote: Great work by the PT team, the tasks have been enjoyable!

Just a quick question: 
Quote:CW Change:

We have decided to add more questions to the CW to give everyone a bit more variety!  Doing 5-6 point tasks in a week is allot to do so having more options to choose from should make the CW more palatable

Will the TPE rewarded from CW stay the same?

Hi Kalakar,

yes sir, the amount of TPE will still be 16.

Which reminds me that this was also a change we made.. moving the TPE amount from 15 to 16  Cool

Knights|Dragons|Austria

Why no gif submissions?

[Image: JbAlQ9E.png]

03-24-2019, 12:43 PM.bojo Wrote: Why no gif submissions?

hi .Bojo!

At this time we are researching what goes into a GIF and how to define it properly for our grading. There are gif makers out there that make them very quickly and we dont want one area of the tasks to be significantly easier for 1 group then the other. Also we have seen a few done and they werent done to our standards.. but we havnt defined our standards yet... So were not accepting them now until we can do more research and decide if there viable or not for our tasks.

Knights|Dragons|Austria

@Mike Izzy

Just want to say that you and your team are doing a great job!

Stars | Player | Update Thread | Gordie#6746 | Manual Lineup Sheet | HockeyNation | Grizzlies

There should be more PTs/wfts where you roleplay as your player

[Image: unknown.png]

UsaScarecrowsBlizzardSpecters | [Image: specterspp.png][Image: spectersupdate.png] | TimberArmadaSpectersFinland

[Image: cainbanner_35.jpg]

03-24-2019, 03:42 PMSlashACM Wrote: There should be more PTs/wfts where you roleplay as your player

Ill take a note of that... if you have any ideas on specific tasks on that.. shoot me over a PM.

Cheers

Knights|Dragons|Austria

03-24-2019, 12:46 PMMike Izzy Wrote:
03-24-2019, 12:43 PM.bojo Wrote: Why no gif submissions?

hi .Bojo!

At this time we are researching what goes into a GIF and how to define it properly for our grading. There are gif makers out there that make them very quickly and we dont want one area of the tasks to be significantly easier for 1 group then the other. Also we have seen a few done and they werent done to our standards.. but we havnt defined our standards yet... So were not accepting them now until we can do more research and decide if there viable or not for our tasks.

I think If someone makes a gif that meets all the requirements of the GFX option it should count without a question, those would be some of the coolest PT responses.

This is very rare, basically nobody ever puts this effort in from what I've seen. It's usually a bunch of random gifs from TV/movies which I'd agree shouldn't work.

[Image: 4sN9yMR.png]

(This post was last modified: 03-24-2019, 09:54 PM by Mackkz.)

03-24-2019, 05:41 PMToeDragon84 Wrote:
03-24-2019, 12:46 PMMike Izzy Wrote: hi .Bojo!

I think If someone makes a gif that meets all the requirements of the GFX option it should count without a question, those would be some of the coolest PT responses.

This is very rare, basically nobody ever puts this effort in from what I've seen. It's usually a bunch of random gifs from TV/movies which I'd agree shouldn't work.

The dilemma we've had with GIF responses particularly with WFT's or equivalently "minor" tasks, you're trying to somehow equate the typical 25 word response with the work necessary for a "proper" gif. Some of the random gifs we've seen have been deemed pretty phoned in, but when it's trying to match up with the work required to make a 15 word response, it's probably sufficient even if it doesn't look great. For the time being until we can find some sort of understanding of what is deemed acceptable, it's easier to just not accept them as a format.

[Image: Partridge.png]

San Francisco

[Image: PRedauw.png]
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2019, 09:03 PM by DeletedAtUserRequest.)

On a PT note: WFT’s Make the case’s  225+ posts is the most active thread since the Bright Lights WFT back in S35! Very cool  Cool

Knights|Dragons|Austria

You people do a great job, and thanks for being transparent and down right fun?

[Image: TROYMCCLURE.gif]
Colorado Raptors Capitan S42-Until Forever!
Czechia Wants you! Ask about a transfer!!

03-24-2019, 06:52 PMMackkz Wrote:
03-24-2019, 05:41 PMToeDragon84 Wrote: I think If someone makes a gif that meets all the requirements of the GFX option it should count without a question, those would be some of the coolest PT responses.

The dilemma we've had with GIF responses particularly with WFT's or equivalently "minor" tasks, you're trying to somehow equate the typical 25 word response with the work necessary for a "proper" gif. Some of the random gifs we've seen have been deemed pretty phoned in, but when it's trying to match up with the work required to make a 15 word response, it's probably sufficient even if it doesn't look great. For the time being until we can find some sort of understanding of what is deemed acceptable, it's easier to just not accept them as a format.
Yeah I get not accepting gifs in place of word count on those tasks, I'm talking about meeting the main PT Graphic requirements in a gif. Could you see how encouraging something like this would be more exciting than banning all gifs?

Like I said it's rare anyone does this, but I think it's awesome when someone goes hard on a PT just cause.
[Image: Gp8kIby.gif]

[Image: 4sN9yMR.png]

(This post was last modified: 03-25-2019, 12:17 PM by slothfacekilla.)

The GIF that Toe posted is pretty damn cool imo, I would love to see stuff like that in PT's (and more graphics in general!).  I know the graphics I post look like shit but they take me a lot longer than my writing does, but I find the graphics spice up the threads so I would love to see more people with talent put me to shame!

I really enjoyed my first season of SHL PT's, WFT's, and 3 on 3's, and I most definitely appreciate this state of the union post, thanks Izzy and the PT team!  Cheers

[Image: 66818_s.gif]

You're doing a fantastic job Izzy! You and your team keep it up!

Cheers

---> ParmBorg Highlights <---
[Image: cgv4vCv.png] Goal[Image: 95lCCDx.png]
[Image: parmborg.gif]

[Image: steelhead77.gif]

#1 All-Time SHL Goal & Point Scorer 
- First 2,000 TPE Player in SHL History - 
- First 400 Goal Scorer in SHL History -
- Only 500 Goal Scorer in SHL History -
- First GM to Win 5 & 6 Challenge Cups -
Esa Anrikkanen Award - SMJHL ROY - Est. S34
Vidrik Onoprienko Award Winner - S45

Dragonite[Image: 271.png][Image: 291.png][Image: 321.png][Image: 401.png][Image: 42banner2.png][Image: r-Wt4-AB350oooo.png] Dragonite