Create Account

S46 PT #4 - Discord Commissioner

PBE PT

[Image: andyj18.gif]

[Image: andybj18.gif]

[Image: pawter_meowski.png]

I don’t pay attention to the league SHL discord channel, so if any of these are already implemented, sorry.

As SHL discord commissioner, I wouldn’t know what to do. The things that instantly come to mind would be to integrate more rewards on being active on discord we already earn money for twitter posts, why not discord? So beginning with channels we already have, with conjunction with league Head Office, I’d like to bring weekly rewards. For “pets” and “food”, I’d want to implement a $300k weekly reward for best post in those channels. Rules would be included, such as only 3 entries per person would considered (although you could post as many as you want) and one person could win once only 2 or 3 weeks. Something like this could also be implemented in a new “Jokes” channel. Another channel that I’d want to implement would be a fitness channel, where people can talk about their health changes, with a BodyBuilding.com and MyFitnessPal group link. Again, rewards could be given for biggest change, or best newest PBR.

I’d also want to get a BojoBox bot included on the servers, that way players can easily find anyone’s stats more easily. Similar bots could be made for teams and league awards could possibly be made. 5$-10$M, or if donations are still coming could be made for the devs of the bots, to make their time worth it.

[Image: Geza.gif]

sig credit: ml002, Reynolds 
[Image: rW2c4Vz.png] | [Image: gs89eGV.png] | [Image: B4x6AQm.png]

Discord Commisioner
I love to chat on Discord. But I hate spam! If I would be the commissioner of Discord I would ban everyone who spams around or mentions people without a reason. Team Discords should be only for the actually team members and the staff. There should be a channel for alumnis and the players too. Like a bar where old friends can meet each other and drink a beer . Each team should have a room for the team things only and one for the talks about topics about the whole world. There should be some cool bots who display the stats of the players and play some good music. One Chat for all league members could be a gameday chat. There will be live play by play sims every day in it. A news channel with all the latest, real important announcents should be implemented too. And of course every team needs to have a room where you can talk about food and bbq!

[Image: image.png][Image: image.png][Image: image.png][Image: image.png][Image: image.png]

If I was the Discord commissioner, I would add the TPE opportunities channels that most locker rooms have to the main SHL server, so that teams with sluggish management can be instantly notified of earning opportunities. I would also condense the channel, because it's very cluttered; a Discord server does not need more channel than you can count in single digits. Not just a TPE opportunities channel, but an announcements channel would be ideal; this would be a great and effective way for HO to communicate decisions, for Hiring opportunities to be advertised, and for important dates such as the draft day to be clarified. Having a pinned message in announcements with all the GMs, their Discord handles, as well as the heads of relevant groups such as Media Graders, IIHF Federation Heads and Post Game Show Graders, listed would be very helpful for new players and older members looking to reach certain people as well. GMs would be required to be in the main SHL discord server, because some of them are not, and this makes sending them private messages quite difficult if you don't share a server.

[img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/ByNN8Jn.gif[/img]
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2019, 07:08 PM by DilIsPickle.)

I don't use discord much but I would like to have game nights where you play games like Cards against humanity or that drawing game that everyone was playing awhile ago. Events make everything very fun so locker rooms should really be encouraged to do them so that players have more fun. Not just games are fun but also watching movies and youtube together through apps like rabbit can be a good experience to chat and bond. also it's very annoying to have to go to the index to see my stats so I would like leaderboards and stats and standings information to be posted in the discord so I can keep track of my players progress. Also maybe like trades and signings, transactions basically, should be posted to discord servers. if I got traded and nobody told me in private messages I probably wouldn't know because trades aren't very easy to find either. I definitely wouldn't know if one of my teammates was traded and that's important to keep track of.

Based on the fact that I've been mostly vacant from discord and only post there when I find time, I question the ability of those in charge of making the decision. First thing I would do would be hire someone who knows A LOT more about discord than I do to help make changes and improvements that would benefit the entire league server. Things that I would think about doing would be discussed with a group of regular discord users who can help me understand what is truly needed to improve the discord. I would add an incentive to using the discord. (perhaps a discord exclusive task for some TPE or money.) Create a weekly game night where players could spend an hour or two playing games just for fun. My main objective would be to try and increase discussion on discord who have the time, but choose not to use it, or those who may not have as much available time, but still would like to join in the fun.

I feel that the problem the main SHL discord has, and is a big reason I won't use it very much is that it is just a troll fest. It is the same 6-10 members posting he same stuff pretty much every day. I myself only use it for the Pokemon channel which is what I would change to improve it. I would list it to receive from every channel to make Pokemon spawn faster and more often. No need for broadcasts outside of the Pokemon channel however so keep that contained as it is currently. Then I would apply a few more rules to prevent the brain dribble that currently calls the channel home. Perhaps give people the option to make SHL cash by making suggestions that are eventually used. This is an SHL wide discord server but decisions seem to be made by a small group of people in its current iteration. Most people don't use it or don't have the time to follow along and so they get left behind. I actually think Discord could also be a good spot for play by plays. Mute everyone but the play by play person and let them go to town with the mute being lifted in between plays and during a media timeout (Mid way through the game). Could be a way to increase activity and add the money benefit all at the same time.

(For reference in now way or form do I really think the SHL should offer $ or TPE for using Discord it was all to meet the word count)

I never use the SHL discord so I'm not entirely sure what the state of it is. The reason I never go on there is that it is usually some stupid discussion and every channel is spammed with things. There's too many people in one chat, but that's not really something that can be changed as it is the entire reason for the channel. One thing that could be done is that it could be better organized, like the general topics on the SHL site. There is a channel for people to talk about everything, the same could be a applied to the discord. People can mute channels they're not interested in and participate in the ones they want. This might help clear out some of the spam. I'd also have a dedicated play for shitposting and one dedicated place for serious talking. Obviously, we don't want all joking and fun taken out of the serious channel, but maybe limiting memes would help.

Player Page --- Update Page
[Image: twils.gif]
Picture credit to Allen, Jenny, enigmatic, Wasty, ckroyal92, 701, and EJ

300+ Career Goals, 750+ Career Points
5th All-Time Goals Scored for WKP,
8th All-Time Goals Scored for SEA/TBB
3rd All-Time in Playoff Points
17th All-Time in Goals

6 Consecutive 50+ Point Seasons, 7 Total
Quote:"idc if ur naked if ur holding that cup" -Jenny

[Image: bH7q7SJ.png]

[Image: 4sN9yMR.png]

PBE Affiliation

[Image: Too9kfy.png]
 Player Page  |  Update Page

1) Ban all repetitive memey shit that happens.
- Lets be honest we all enjoy the odd good meme, but sometimes some people take stuff a bit too far and spam it to be edgy and cool in their minds.
2) Zero Tolerance for slurs or offensive slang
- We live in the 21st century and some terms and slang have no place anymore on any platform. Que the brigade of people who spam “QQ more bro” but really, some things are beyond the chirping and trash talk and need to be purged.
3) Centralize team discords
- How many servers are you guys on now? It’s getting out of hand for me personally, and I would love if we had teams all on 1 discord if it was possible to condense all the different servers we have into one mega server where all players could converge and stay within their bubble should they choose. My left side bar is seriously a mess.

[Image: 4zfXx6o.gif]

It’s not that I’m not a fan of discord I actually enjoy it but have little time to even text my mother back. The locker room however is different because it’s easier to say something and let it sit and be seen by all and then come back to the replies to your comment. I would make the locker room boxes smaller so it’s easier to follow when you are scrolling, also I would like to make a small index on the side where the team mate can put their quote of the week or talk about something that’s important to them or even ask questions pertaining to something someone else was discussing. It’s a great way to get to know your teammates more but even greater way for the new rookies to come in and have some say in what goes on in the locker room. There isn’t much I would change it’s a great forum I would just clean it up a bit.

[Image: Depositphotos-46829959-original-1024x602.jpg]

I would demand that an always updated emoji inventory was maintained. For far too long have old, abandoned logos remained active in the SHL Discord. We must have the proper branding! In addition, we will have a strict Wonderdome channels only policy, where all members that partake in the league Discord must only say incredibly nice things about one another. This community is toxic enough as it is!
We all learned about the Golden Rule when we were kids. Treat others the way you want to be treated. Welcome to the SHL. I love you.
In addition, drafts will no longer be done via forum posts, and will now be live drafted in voice chat with all members allowed to sit in the same draft channel to listed to the picks as they’re announced. The Discord voice abilities offer the flexibility to mute/unmute people based on perms and it’d be a lot more fun than crashing the site and spamming f5 on the draft thread.

Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights
[Image: VZtEodi.png]
[Image: 1n0REYx.png]

RIP Dangel. See you on the other side, brother

PBE PT - Bayley

The very first thing I'd have to do is hire an Assistant Discord Commissioner as well as an Assistant to the Discord Commissioner. And a bunch of Junior Vice Executives of Meme Management, Pingu- and Pokemon-Bots and other terrific people. I have the best people, everybody says so!

In all seriousness though, I would argue that the official league server actually plays a pretty minor role in the SHL cosmos, it's just too big and chaotic and unfocused for fruitful conversation to take place on a consistent basis. It's good if you need to look up a user very quickly but for virtually everything else, private servers is where it's at. Draft Class servers are super helpful for new people and also help to keep veterans engaged even if they have already gone through the SMJHL experience a couple of times, nation servers have given the IIHF a whole new level of relevance and Team servers are basically the lifeblood of the league at this point. This decentralized approach has proven to be immensely successful so having a Discord Commissioner might not even be necessary and if there was one, his role would likely be a relatively limited one. If Discord has proven one thing then that it is great at growing organically, so new developments have to be embraced by the membership, not be implemented in a top-down kind of way. Also with Discord use being widespread in all kinds of leagues now, I think that people have been starting to hit the limits of how many servers they can and want to deal with, so most kinds of new Discord interaction would probably cannibalize on the existing channels instead of creating new interaction.