Create Account

S46 SMJHL PT 4 - MVP
(This post was last modified: 03-17-2019, 02:53 PM by ej27.)

PT 4 - MVP

Raymond Lindsay. The most coveted individual award in the league. Who will win it this season?

Task

Written option: Write 200 words about which players you think are in the running for league MVP.
Graphics option: Create a graphic comparing the top 3 MVP contenders. Must include team logos and renders.

Reward
4 TPE for doing the thing. (Just one of the options, not both.)

Only S46 SMJHL Rookies (S47 SHL Rookies) are eligible for this PT.

Do NOT claim TPE for this task until a post has been made in the claim thread.

Deadline
Sunday March 24th, 10am CST

Link to welfare claims from PBE and NSFL here in order to get credit.

[Image: 45029_v.gif]

Sigs by: King, Tweedledunn, Me
Player Page|Twitter|Update Page
(This post was last modified: 03-23-2019, 10:26 AM by XLeafer.)

This is a pretty touch choice to make because there were a lot of players who can make a case for MVP this season. For me, it is from the scarecrows. Yes it is Nicolas Fleming. He was their best player who finished 2nd in the league and it was not close. He finished 4th in scoring and 2nd in goals in the league with 22 goals and 42 points. MVP is not about the scoring but it is about the way the player led his team to success or the playoffs and that is what Fleming did. Obviously luffy is the other choice for MVP because having the lions leading scorer and finishing the team to 5th in the league is solid. But Fleming has been more impressive with this situation so therefore, the MVP for this season in Nicolas Fleming because of his PASSION and GRIT and SKILLZ and LEADERSHIP.

[Image: giphy.gif]

(This post was last modified: 03-23-2019, 10:11 PM by Randominoe.)

The race for regular season MVP has finished and now it is up to the awards committee to decide who has earned their name on the prestigious Raymond Lindsay trophy. Here are my picks for nomination for this year's award:

Knights Dick Clapper - Right Wing - Two-Way Forward
The Kelowna Knights finished atop of the SMJHL for the regular season, securing themselves a place in the second round of the playoffs against what will be the lowest-seeded opponent. Offensive depth propelled the Knights to their first place finish, and Dick Clapper is a clear example of that philosophy. He played on the second line for the entire season, alongside Barry Batsbak and Liam Hutchinson, and still managed to finish third on his team in points as well as first in P/GP. He showcased a slight scoring edge with 20 goals compared to 19 assists, and his defensive vision of the game shown through with a +8, 33 hits and 10 blocked shots.

Scarecrows Slip McScruff - Left Defenseman - Defensive Defenseman
The St. Louis Scarecrows shuffled in just below the Knights in second place also earning a first-round bye. Their strong defensive core was an essential factor in the reason for them finishing with so many more wins compared to losses, and the cornerstone of the backend was none other than Slip McScruff. Despite being defensively minded, Slip finished the season with the third most points on a lethal Scarecrows roster with 35 points, 7 goals, and 28 assists. He did not shy away from the body as a protective tool, however, as he recorded a whopping 88 hits which led his team and had 40 blocked shots.

Lions Patrice Nadeau - Goaltender - Hybrid Goalie
While Lethbridge finished the season in 5th place, they could've easily jumped up to 3rd place if more results had gone their way. Patrice led the goaltending of SMJHL in season 47 with his incredible performances all season long. In his 37 games played, Nadeau won 21 games while maintaining the league-leading .911 save percentage and had a 2.24 GAA, which considering the amount of high scoring blowouts seen in the regular season is surprisingly low.

These are the standouts for each position on the ice, and they were tough decisions so the Raymond Lindsay could really go to any of the top contributors this year, but it all depends on what the committee weighs more heavily compared to others.

Outlaws  Mathias Seger: Seger is second on the outlaws in points, and leads d-men in scoring. He's having an outstanding season, and is definitely Anaheim's best bet for MVP votes.

Armada  Leopold Lockhart: The Anchorage captain is once again having a great season, and other than his +/- all of his stats are outstanding. He's 3rd in defensemen scoring, but not by far. Anchorage's performance so far has been a team effort, but if anyone stood out it's Lockhart - a deep playoff run could secure it.

Knights Dick Clapper: Kelowna are currently expected to do well in the playoffs, and if they do, Dick Clapper could be an unlikely recipient of this prize. He's only 16-17-33 so far, but that could easily get a lot better. One to watch for the rest of the season.

Scarecrows Nicolas Fleming: Fleming shares the league lead in goals with Cloutier of the armada, and has looked a dominant force this season. He's a clear challenger for the league MVP if his team are succesful in the playoffs.

Whalers Borromini Cannellini: The Vancouver captain has an oustanding 40 points so far, and he isn't slowing down. At the moment, I'd consider him the clear frontrunner for the MVP.

[Image: 58170_v.gif]
[Image: 58170_s.gif]
Thanks to @Carpy48 , @sköldpaddor, @Weretarantula, @Bruins10  and @Wasty  for sigs
Extra special thanks to @Julio Tokolosh for the sick gif one

Simmer claim

PatriotesUsaWhalers

[Image: CampinKiller.gif]

The process for determining best choices for MVP was as follows: calculate player’s percent contribution to the team’s points, see team’s position on the leaderboard as of today, include bias (crows before hoes). By doing the process I came upon the list of the following players:
Note: These players are not in any particular order

Outlaws Hiro Fujikawa: This forward from the Anaheim Outlaws has a total of 35 points. This means that he has contributed to 31.5% of all the goals the team has produced in their games played so far this season.

Raptors Knute Knurtsson: This forward may be on the lowest producing team in the league, but that doesn’t mean he hasn’t been putting up points. By producing 35.2% of his teams goals he is certainly a underdog candidate for MVP.

Lions Monkey D. Luffy: This forward from the Lethbridge Lions is the top point producer on a team that is doing very well this season. With a total of 33 points and helping to produce 33.3% of his team’s total goals, he is going to be a front runner for this season’s MVP award.

Scarecrows Nicolas Fleming: This forward on one of the best teams in the league helped produce 26.9% of his team’s total goals. What makes him stand out, however is his high plus minus totals. He is more of a middle ground candidate due to the high ranking of his team, but truly isn’t out of contention for MVP.

Whalers Borromini Cannelini: In my mind, this player truly could end up winning the MVP award. With 40 points and helping to create 38.5% of his team’s total goals so far this season, he has earned his place at the top of the league. The only thing that could hold him back is his team’s place in the league and the high point totals of his teammate Petr Mikulak. This could cause a split in the voting for MVP and could lead to neither of them receiving it. However, he is the clear front runner for this award.

Word Total: 339

Pass Forfeit (D) ● Player Profile
Kraken Rage Panthers

[Image: esilverm.gif]
Special thanks to Blitz, jhockey, Ragnarr, and sulo for the gorgeous sigs <3

[Image: DG0jZcS.png]

My top 3 most likely to win MVP:

3. Nicolas Fleming Scarecrows - There are a few players right around Fleming's production, but I think he has the highest chance out of all of them. With 18 goals he is tied for first in the scoring race and is second for points among right wingers. Fleming is also in the top 10 for plus/minus and shots on goal. I think if anyone outside of Vancouver is going to be able to take the MVP award it will be Fleming.

2. Petr Mikulak Whalers - Leading all right wingers in points - only 3 points behind Cannellini - Mikulak is top 10 in goals, points per 20 minutes, and plus/minus. Mikulak definitely has a chance to steal the award away from my number one pick if he can increase his scoring pace throughout the rest of the season.

1. Borromini Cannellini Whalers - Currently the only player at a point per game pace, has the highest points per 20 minutes in the league, the highest plus/minus, the most shots on goal, and is in the top 10 for both goals and assists. I don't think anyone will be even close - except for maybe the aforementioned Mikulak - if he's able to keep up this pace.

[Image: grayhd.gif]

[Image: YztPk3T.png] [Image: 6by0kBi.png]

My choices for league MVP may seem a bit biased but Ill stand by my reasoning. I have 2 players who I could actually see winning the MVP award and both are Vancouver Whalers players. My first choice is Cullen Gray. Gray was drafted with Vancouvers 3rd pick, going in the mid second round, and he hasnt looked back since. Cullen had a slow start to the season, having 5 in the first 10 games. As soon as game 11 happened something clicked, since then, with 10 games left in the season, Gray has amassed 11 goals and 16 assists for a rookie best 27 points, thats almost a ppg in the last 30 games. That also gives him a spot among the best 10 left wings in the league. My second choice is Vancouvers Captain Borromini Cannellini. Cannellini has been outstanding this season. He leads the league in points, he leads the league in +-, he is the only player featured on both the top 10 for goals, and assists, he is the best center in the league points wise, and could be the best of every other position aswell. Lets not forget he's also done all of this on a bottom5 rebuilding Vancouver Whalers  Whalers  organization. Not alot more can be, or needs to be said about Cannellini other than "wow".

[Image: xVW1vec.png]

[Image: OgNASDg.png] |  | [Image: JvdaXOj.png]
[Image: lUeg4KM.png]

What is MVP? Is he like Nikita Kucherov a guy who is just one amazing player on a good team, or is it Connor Mcdavid who carries an entire team. Its a question who never really has an answer it can change from person to person.  Here is my MVPs

Cassius Darrow Raptors: its no debate the Raptors have struggled to win games. Many penalties have hurt the franchises chances of really winning games. That being said Darrow is the straw that stirs the drink. He makes players around him better and is sitting firmly in the top 10 for his position scoring. He is my Connor Mcdavid type pick.

Braromini Cannoli Whalers: They are league contenders with many players playing great. He sits 3 points ahead of every one in the league 6 against his team. Which proves just how talented a player he really is. He is my Nikita Kucharov type pick.

Mathias Seger Outlaws: Defender scoring leader he has been the stiring straw to the Outlaws ensuring the puck is kept out of the net and up to the forwards as quickly as possible. He continues this pace he could win defender of the year ontop of MVP.

[Image: oiItRpb.png]
[Image: MpTRQ8p.png]

Here are my three league MVP candidates:

Whalers Borromini Cannellini: Cannellini is currently the only point per game player in the league, leading the pack with 40 points in 40 games. His Whalers have been average all season but his offensive dominance has been a big part of them not being in the league's basement. On top of that he has only 5 power play points showing what a force he's been for Vancouver at 5 on 5 play.

Knights Guy Zheng: Zheng has arguably been the league's best defender this season and has been a huge part of them sitting near the top of the league. His 32 points are tied for the league lead among defensemen but it's his importance at both ends of the ice that set him apart. Zheng has 11 power play points for the Knights but also has a +10 and 38 blocked shots as he has been just as good at keeping the puck out of his net as he has been at helping his teammates put the puck into the other team's net.

Outlaws Hiro Fujikawa: Fujikawa's offensive firepower has been a huge part of Anaheim's success this season as he has led the way for an offence that at times may have been a little lacklustre without his contributions. His 17 goals and 18 assists for 35 points put him at 3rd in the league and his 13 power play points are good enough for 2nd in the league making him a threat in all situations for opposing teams to have to worry about.

[Image: selm.gif]
[Image: sig.gif]

Knute Knurtsson -  Raptors
Knut Knurtsson has received minimal help from his teammates the entire season. In a year where the Raptors’ team has been decimated by call-ups and the expansion draft, KK has been one of the lone bright spots on the Raptors’ floundering offense. Despite the increase in pressure put on Knurtsson by opposing defenses (they only need to defend one scoring line), the winger has put up elite numbers in assists, and he is able to pass to anyone, as he accounts for 35.2 percent of his team’s points. His point percentage, combined with the lack of support, makes Knute Knurtsson my leading candidate for the Raymond Lindsay Award.

Monkey D Luffy -  Lions
Luffy, a top line center has put up amazing numbers this season. While he leads in no categories, he is in the top ten of more than almost anyone else. His 137 shots on net are good enough for 2nd place and is an easy external metric as to how he keeps the Lethbridge Lions office so high paced. Of all centers, he has the third most points (and in fewer games. He plays Colorado on Monday, so things should be much closer by the time of publishing). Lastly, he is in the top ten in scoring for game-winning goals, game-tying goals, and shorthanded goals. I argue there is a clutch gene.

Borromini Cannelini -  Whalers
What a specimen. Top 10 in goals and assists, and the only player to edge out Luffy in shots. His points-per-60 is 0.96. If he cranked up his endurance, he’d be a hat trick threat every game. His elite offense is responsible for 38.5% of the Whalers’ total production, but what's even more impressive is the balance in his game, as he rocks a cool +25 differential.

308 words

Player Page || Player Updates || Visual History

The S46 SMJHL Season has had a variety of amazing and interesting events, one of the more interesting topics being the rookies of the league, who will soon be drafted to their respective SHL teams. Each prospect is trying hard to improve (excluding myself), and have done what they can to make a statement that they're the best player available. Now that we've reached the mid to late season mark, this is a great time to look at who the top rookies going into this upcoming draft are. The following list has no order:

1. Raptors - Akashi SixNine: SixNine, despite falling in the SMJHL entry draft, has done nothing but improve his draft stock throughout the season. The Raptors have increasingly trusted him with harder and more important minutes as the season trucks on, to which SixNine has responded well to.

2. Raptors - Julio Tokolosh: Tokolosh has been a leader on and off the ice for the Raptors so far this season, and has been awarded with increased responsibility on the offensive side of the ice, recently slotting into the top line powerplay for the struggling team. The Raptors wholly expect Tokolosh to come back next season to continue to improve his game and dominate the SMJHL with his fellow rookies.

3. Raptors - Jake Peralta - Another Raptors rookie to round out the "Official Best SMJHL Rookies" is Jake Peralta. Peralta, the young forward, has been a staple on the Raptors third line and has shown flashes of great offensive and defensive vision as the season progresses. Overall, while the Raptors as a team have struggled, Peralta among others has been a massive bright spot for them.

[Image: SigStorm.png]
[Image: QHLWtic.png?1]
san francisco group of cats - mikael koskinen
quebec city citadelz  - mikael koskinen

Whalers  - Borromini Cannellini (17 Goals - 27 Assists - 44 Points)

Borromini Cannellini has to be in the consideration and right now, he is my favourite to win it all. Cannelini has an amazing sophomore, not only leading his team, the Vancouver Whalers, in nearly every offensive category, but the entire league. He is leading the league with 44 Points, he is second in assists with 27 and he is third in goals with 17, showing off his versatility. He actually leads the league in +/- with +26. The next best is his own teammate, Petr Mikulak with +21. Then the next best forward is Aparjode with a +15. Seriously, there is no doubt right now that Cannellini has to win.

Knights  - Guy Zheng (6 Goals - 28 Assists - 34 Points)

Guy Zheng of the Kelowna Knights is the highest scoring defensman with 34 points, but he is also a +10 and has 38 blocked shots. He definitely is in the race for the best defenseman but honestly, he doesn't stand a chance right now. No player in the league is. Still, Guy Zhen has a very good season and definitely deserves the attention.

Whalers  - Cullen Gray (13 Goals - 17 Assists - 30 Points)

I know this is a loooooong shot, but Cullen Gray has one of the best rookie seasons ever. He leads all rookies with 30 points and is actually third in the league among left wings. As a rookie. That is absolutely incredible. Gray should win the rookie of the year award and was definitely a big factor for the Whalers as the 2nd round pick was able to generate some much needed secondary scoring for the Whalers.

[Image: jHIZWUN.png]

(This post was last modified: 03-18-2019, 04:19 PM by awils13.)

I’m going to choose 1 player from each position (Forward/Defenseman/Goalie) who I think are most likely to win the MVP.

Whalers F: Borromini Cannellini (17-27-44 +26)
Advanced: 56% CF | 21/27 primary assists | 80% IPP | 13.9 5v5sh%
Well, this is an obvious and a very popular choice but Cannellini has everything you’re looking for in an MVP. He’s averaging over 20 minutes per game as a forward, leading the league in scoring and playing a strong 2-way game as evident by his +26 rating and a 56% Corsi. 80% IPP indicates that whenever his line scores a goal, he’s involved. But you don’t need advanced stats to know that he’s the main source of offense on his team.

Knights D: Guy Zheng (6-28-34 +11)
Advanced: 56% CF | 15/28 primary assists | 62% IPP | 11.6 5v5sh%
A lot of offensive defensemen struggle in their own end but Zheng has a good +/- and Corsi while leading all defenseman in scoring. He plays almost 22 minutes a game as his team relies on him in all situations (even-strength and special teams).

Whalers G: Casimir Stevens (14-9-4, 2.28 GAA / .909 sv%)
Whalers are a young team full of potential but just like most inexperienced teams, they’re not very good defensively. The top line is great but overall Vancouver gives up more scoring chances than they create. Nevertheless, Stevens managed to post a good winning % with solid ratios and without him, Whalers would be at the bottom of the standings right now.

Player info | Updates | Stats
SteelhawksCanadaWhalers

[Image: aawil.gif]

Boromini Cannellini - Whalers
The consensus choice at this point in the season, Cannellini has been the best player in the league on a struggling Whalers squad. Vancouver currently sit 6th in the SMJHL standings and would probably be much closer to the bottom of the league if it weren't for Cannellini. At one point he was leading the league in goals, but he has a nice lead in points. Currently sitting at the top of the SMJHL with 44 points (17 goals, 27 assists) in 42 games, he is the only player above a point per game in the league. On top of that, he leads the league in +/-, which shows his defensive abilities and not being a liability to his team while on the ice.

Guy Zheng - Knights
Zheng does it all, and there is no MVP discussion without including him in it. His defensive game is complete, being able to hit anyone and block shots for his team, but it's his offensive contribution that has helped Kelowna rise in the standings. He's top 10 in the SMJHL in points and leads the league in assists. Kelowna would not be where they are without him, and that is the definition of an MVP.

Hiro Fujikawa - Outlaws
It seems like the Asian presence in the SMJHL is strong, as 2 of my top 3 nominees are Asian. Another very good team in Anaheim would likely not be where they are without their top offensive producer. Fujikawa is 3rd in the league in points and has been a consistent offensive producer for the whole season. He is also averaging over 21 minutes a night, showing tremendous stamina and just how much Anaheim depends on him to be a driving force for them. He is also looked at to play and help Anaheim win games.

It won't be an easy decision for the SMJHL MVP with such great candidates, however my pick would have to go to Cannellini. Playing on a middle of the pack team while leading the league in points (and being the only player in the league above a PPG), all while being defensively responsible. Without him, the Whalers are likely bottom of the league.

[Image: Otrebor13.gif]

[Image: 7MO9RpC.png]  [Image: gdppv5N.png]