Create Account

PGS S46 Game 89: St. Louis vs Halifax

Scarecrows St. Louis Scarecrows vs. Halifax Raiders  raiders

by Jim Brockmire, St. Louis Dispatch

HALIFAX, NS -- Hello folks, Jim Brockmire here in the town of Halifax, Nova Scotia, bringing you the wrap-up from this incredibly thrilling game of hockey. And when I say thrilling, I do mean unfortunate, because as you will see, the Raiders dragged our champion Scarecrows up and down that ice all night. I'm gonna do my best to tell the tale, but it is not a fun one, folks, so if you look away now, I won't blame you. In fact, the main comfort I can take from this whole experience is that I will soon be leaving this place. If you've never been to Halifax, let me tell you, you have made a good decision, because this is by far the most lifeless, godforsaken town I have ever had the misfortune of parking my ass, and I'm from Kansas City.

Starting Lines:

Scarecrows STL Scarecrows 
Hoover - Boomhover - Fleming
McScruff - Magnicotta
Sorokin in goal

-----

raiders  HAL  raiders  
Kholin - Reynolds - Slothface
Doskocil - Morgan
McKorsy in goal

Game Summary

First Period
Not a lot going on the first few minutes of this period. Sure, they made it look exciting, but it was mostly a lot of skating up and down the ice and getting nothing done. Ender Zavala took a holding penalty two minutes into the game, giving the Crows a great chance to strike first on the power play, but they just could not put anything together and Halifax killed that one off. St. Louis found themselves on the other end of that stick when Gordie Boomhover went to the box for hooking at 12:54, and the Raiders did not take long to cash in on that with a goal from Mr. Faceoffs (I am not kidding you, folks, that is the real name this boy's parents gave him in the sight of god and the world) at 13:06. Seems that goal gave Halifax some momentum, and Gaspard Boone grabbed his second goal of the season twelve seconds later to put the Scarecrows in a two-goal hole. I've encountered a lot of holes in my life, folks, and the two-goal kind is not the worst, but it sure isn't the best either. A couple more penalties on the books this period, but neither team got anything else done on the power play and we wrapped up the first with no further damage. Shots in this period - STL 9, HAL 7 (but a hell of a lot of good those extra two shots did). 

(First intermission notes: This is probably a good time to tell you all that I have never seriously watched a game of hockey in my life. I'm a baseball man, the true American sport, but when you're out of a job, you take what you can get, even if that means you end up in Halifax, which is located in the devil's right armpit.)

Second Period
I regret complaining about the first few minutes of the previous period, because absolutely nothing happened this entire twenty minutes. Isaac Yamada took a high-sticking penalty late in the period, but even the sight of a man hitting another man in the face with a stick could not add much excitement to this snooze fest. It felt like there was some shooting going on, but not a lot of them actually on either net, and as you might know, the puck does have to be headed towards the net at some point for there to be any scoring. The biggest accomplishment in this period was that I did not fall asleep. I did finish the half bottle of scotch I smuggled in. Shots in this period - STL 6, HAL 4

(Second intermission notes: I took this intermission to spend some time reading up on the off-ice exploits of Troy Reynolds, and I gotta say, I think I like the kid. Reminds me a lot of myself if I'm honest, but he should probably not take that as a compliment.)

Third Period
Both teams obviously came out determined to make this period a lot more exciting than the last. Tiger Wawazat won a faceoff against Mr. Faceoffs himself and passed it back to Filip Zadina, who put it away less than two minutes into the period to get St. Louis on the board and deny McKorsy his shutout. There was a little murmur of hope for the Crows there for about a minute, but then Isaac Yamada took his second penalty of the game, this time for roughing. The Raiders once again did their dirty work on the power play and Dominic Montgomery scored his third goal of the season off a nice pass from Gaspard Boone at 2:53 to put our Crows back in that same old two-goal hole. After that it was all downhill for St. Louis, because the only numbers they seemed to be able to put up were penalty minutes, winding up in the box twice more (Ty Hoover for Interference at 3:21, and Fork Spoon for hooking at 7:45). It was a sad night for anyone who came to the arena rooting for the road team, and I was already sad to be in Halifax to begin with. Shots in this period - STL 7, HAL 8

FINAL: Halifax 3, St. Louis 1

Three Stars
1 - Gaspard Boone (HAL) - goal, assist
2 - Jaguar Johnson (HAL) - assist
3 - Mike McKorsy (HAL) - 21 saves on 22 shots

Brockmire's Complaints
1 - Why didn't Filip Zadina get a star? Scored his third goal of the season, got the team on the board, got everybody's blood pumpin again. Gotta think the media's playing some favorites here, giving the second star to that Jaguar Johnson guy when all he had was an assist. Fil, you can have a beer on me at the next home game.  
2 - The Scarecrows have to stay out of the box. Two out of the three goals they gave up this game were scored on the power play. Not to point fingers, but Isaac Yamada might need to settle down.

[Image: gunnarsoderberg.gif]

[Image: nbb.png]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]
. : [Image: zS2lCMp.png] : .

Comment #1

Special Teams Struggles
The St. Louis Scarecrows struggled mightily in this game when it came to the special teams battle. St. Louis received three opportunities on the powerplay and were unable to connect and cash in a goal on all three occasions. The Scarecrows were only able to muster four shots on net during those three powerplays and none of those shots looked very dangerous. On the other end of the spectrum, the Scarecrows penalty kill allowed two goals on five powerplay attempts against. Halifax scored on their first powerplay chance, just 12 seconds in as well as on their third attempt, just 16 seconds into that one. Halifax was able to put only three shots on goal during those man advantages but made the most of their chances and that was a big reason that they were able to come away with a 3-1 win.

Comment #2

TSN Turning Point
The turning point in this game in my opinion is clear. Early in the third period, St. Louis pulled within a single goal of the Halifax Raiders. With the momentum on their side, the Scarecrows deflated all hopes of a comeback when Isaac Yamada took an undisciplined roughing penalty two minutes into the period, his second minor penalty of the game. With Yamada sitting in the sin bin, the Raiders made quick work of the powerplay. From the ensuing face-off, Dominic Montgomery took a pass from Tobias Viklund and pumped it home, past Billy Sorokin to light the red lamp. St. Louis would not recover or gain any kind of momentum following that goal. The Scarecrows would take one in the L column in an eventual 3-1 loss to the Halifax Raiders.

Comment #3

Fever's Player Of The Game
There are a few choices that I could have chosen for my player of the game in this contest, but in the end, I chose to go with Halifax goaltender Mike McKorsy. He stood tall in net for the Raiders all game long, stopping 21 of 22 shots faced for his ninth win on the season. McKorsy finished the game with a save percentage north of 95 percent and was a bit more busy in terms of shots faced than his counterpart in the St. Louis net. He was especially brilliant in the opening period, stopping all nine shots on goal when St. Louis was really pressing and that helped the Raiders find an opening to put two goals home. He faced another six shots in the middle frame, stopping every chance coming his way once again. In the final 20 minutes of play, McKorsy had only one blunder, allowing a goal nearly two minutes in but was perfect the rest of the way, turning aside the remaining six shots.

[Image: fever95.gif]
[Image: LpkqUbe.gif]

PREVIOUS PLAYER STATISTICS

Top 3 Gritters of the Game
1. Michael Fox (STL) - Lead the game in hits, with 4, did alright in the faceoff circle, going 10/21. This was a tough list, let me tell ya, because everyone was out there hitting in this one.
2. Ty Hoover (STL) - 4 hits, great work in that department. Unfortunately did not do as well in the faceoff circle. His 2 PIMs were for interference, which is neutral, because it doesn't always mean you dumped someone without the puck.
3. Charlie Serpe (STL) - Good shift from him, 3 hits, and a blocked shot. Overall a great night for the over in the hits column

PatriotesUsaWhalers

[Image: CampinKiller.gif]

Comment 1
Player Analysis: Gaspard Boone  raiders
Halifax's Gaspard Boone was awarded the first star of the game, providing a helping hand in his team's victory over the St. Louis Scarecrows. Boone was on the ice for a total of fifteen minutes and twenty-seven seconds, including over two and a half minutes on the power play and seventeen seconds on the penalty kill. In this time, he took two shots and won thirteen out of seventeen face-offs. Boone went +1 in this game after scoring a goal and recording an assist for a total of two points. Scoring at the 13:18 mark of the first period, his goal would end up being the game winner.

Comment 2 
A major reason that the St. Louis Scarecrows ended up suffering a loss in this game was their lack of discipline. They gave the Raiders a total of five opportunities on the power play, conceding goals on two of those opportunities. This is significant considering the fact that they lost the game by a two goal margin. The first goal of the game was a power play goal for the Raiders in the first period, meaning that St. Louis started digging themselves into a hole early. After then trailing by a score of 2-0, St. Louis scored a goal and put themselves in position to make a comeback. They responded by giving up another power play goal just over a minute later to fall back into a two goal deficit. 

Comment 3 
Ice Time Leaders
Many of the players in this game put in significant ice time, but a handful were all on the ice for over twenty minutes. Leading the way for the St. Louis Scarecrows, and leading all players in the game, were Basil Magnicotta and Slip McScruff. These two are the first line defensive pair for the Scarecrows and clocked a total of twenty-two minutes and fourteen seconds on the ice. Leading the way for the Halifax Raiders was Dominic Montgomery who logged a total of twenty-one minutes and eighteen seconds of ice time. Other players in this one who clocked over twenty minutes on the ice were Dylan Karlsson  raiders , Kiko Rytmeyr  Scarecrows , Jimmy Slothface  raiders , Matt Kholin  raiders , Nicolas Fleming  Scarecrows , Perry Morgan  raiders , and Troy Reynolds  raiders .

Comment 3: Difference Maker

Halifax Powerplay. In a 3-1 victory for the Raiders, their powerplay proved to be the big difference maker, going 2-5 with the man advantage accounting for 2/3rd's of their entire goal output for this game. St.Louis on the other hand squandered their opportunities going 0-3 on the powerplay. Halifax's leaned on their powerplay in this one, finding themselves with high quality scoring chances they looked to make the most of their shots, only taking 19 in the game, they were looking for the perfect play and they found it twice on the powerplay. Mr.Faceoffs ripped a one-timer home on the powerplay at 13:13 of the first to open the scoring, the goal was set up by Joseph Laraque and Troy Reynolds. Then later the Raiders powerplay struck again, this time to go up 3-1 early in the 3rd period on Derrik Montgomery's slap shot from the point, assisted by Gaspard Boone and Tobias Viklund. These two special teams goals proved to be the big difference maker in the game and thus the Raiders powerplay was a major factor in this key victory for Halifax.

---> ParmBorg Highlights <---
[Image: cgv4vCv.png] Goal[Image: 95lCCDx.png]
[Image: parmborg.gif]

[Image: steelhead77.gif]

#1 All-Time SHL Goal & Point Scorer 
- First 2,000 TPE Player in SHL History - 
- First 400 Goal Scorer in SHL History -
- Only 500 Goal Scorer in SHL History -
- First GM to Win 5 & 6 Challenge Cups -
Esa Anrikkanen Award - SMJHL ROY - Est. S34
Vidrik Onoprienko Award Winner - S45

Dragonite[Image: 271.png][Image: 291.png][Image: 321.png][Image: 401.png][Image: 42banner2.png][Image: r-Wt4-AB350oooo.png] Dragonite

Comment #1: The bad, the bad and the even worse: Instead of focusing on the positives, we're gonna give some attention to those that were woefully insufficient on the ice today. Firstly, we have STL's goalie Sorokin who had a disgusting .842 SV%, surrendering 3 goals on a meager 19 shots. Yikes. Next up is Yamada, a defenseman for the Scarecrows whose off ice work ethic has put some eyes on him before the draft but an undisciplined 4 PIMs while failing to do anything else of note on the scoresheet is bad. Finally, we have Brolias Hawking on the Scarecrows who had the beautiful 0's across the board scoreline. Truly something special to do nothing of note while on the ice.

Comment #2: Parm-boring: The highly touted first overall pick had a lot of hype before this season behind him and a lot of eyes waiting to see how he would take this puny SMJHL league by storm once he hit the ice. This game was a metaphor for how his season has gone far, Esa was very quiet on the scoresheet and only managed to get on the ice for 13 minutes of gametime. Onus falls both on Parmborg to produce as guys like the Smeb's produced more in less last year and on the coach to get their vaunted first overall pick onto the ice and in a position to succeed.

[Image: NCQjJT2.png]
Berserkers     -       syndicate      -     Berserkers

Comment 1
Fox Sports Midwest Five Stars of the Night

Star 1: Filip Zadina – With the Scarecrow’s only goal tonight, he is the only player who deserves this. This goal prevented a shutout by Halifax goalie Mike McKorsy and was a bit too late to spark his team to win the game,

Star 2: Taisei-Tiikeri Wawazat – With the only assist on the only goal scored in this game by the scarecrows we see Wawazat. His passing play helped Filip Zadina get his 3rd goal of the season.

Star 3: Charlie Serpe and Mattie Brunton – These are the only players with a positive plus minus in the game. Their positioning was solid and prevented a larger blowout.

Star 4, 5: Nobody - The Scarecrows need to adjust their game plan if they want to win the next game.

Comment 2
Poor Special Teams

This game demonstrated the poor special teams of the Scarecrows. The penalty kill is a facet of their game that they really need to work on. On the five chances that they gave to the Raiders in this game, they were scored on twice. This isn’t acceptable and needs to be adjusted. Last season, the Crows had the highest penalty kill so we can only assume that the talent that held their ground was called up to the SHL. Hopefully the Scarecrows won’t let this weakness get in their way on the path to the playoffs and hopefully the cup.

Comment 3
Hard Hitters

Despite their loss, the Scarecrows put up high numbers on the hit board. With a total of 28 hits in the game compared to their opponent’s 17 hits, they were dominating the physical play. Among the leaders in hits were Ty Hoover, Michael Fox, Nicolas Fleming, and Charlie Serpe. These players combined for a total of 14 hits. In this game nearly all of the crows registered a hit. Only six players failed to do so. If the Scarecrows can raise their offensive play and keep their physical play in the next game while not taking too many penalties, we will hopefully see another win.

Pass Forfeit (D) ● Player Profile
Kraken Rage Panthers

[Image: esilverm.gif]
Special thanks to Blitz, jhockey, and Ragnarr for the gorgeous sigs <3

[Image: DG0jZcS.png]

Brick Wall Award

Mike McKorsky was absolutely lights out in this game against St. Louis for the Raiders. He earned himself the Brick Wall Award in a game where he stopped 21 out of 22 shots to boast a 95.5% save percentage. Halifax looked to be on the ropes in the first period where they were outshot 9-7, even though they scored two goals in the period. Without McKorsky in this game the Raiders likely would have had a tough time with their lack of offense. He backstopped the Raiders to a record of 9-4-2, very respectable for this team who was expecting to be more of a middle of the pack team.

Penalty Palooza

This game definitely did not lack special teams and that was really what made the difference in who won tonight. St. Louis decided they wanted to hack and hook and not play the game of hockey tonight and unfortunately that led to their demise in this game. Halifax scored all three of their goals on the power play and the Scarecrows will be wishing they were more disciplined looking back. Halifax were no saints either though on a night where their special teams was firing on all cylinders... they had three penalties of their own but were able to kill all three penalties. Special teams decided the game tonight.

Three Stars

1 - Gaspard Boone (HAL) - Boone came out for the Halifax with one mindset, to be a clutch player tonight. He added a goal and an assist for Halifax tonight, further showcasing their second line as a top line in the SMJHL. He even contributed to the penalty palooza.

2 - Jaguar Johnson (HAL) - Jaguar Johnson mysteriously wins the second star of the night in this game. He only contributed one assist, but did contribute two hits for the Raiders. At least the assists with on the game winning goal?

3 - Mike McKorsy (HAL) - The netminder put on a great performance to hold the Scarecrows to one goal and allowed the Raiders to win on a night where they were struggling to provide offense.

[Image: blix900.gif]

[Image: QwTZD8C.png][Image: iemKOIk.png]