Create Account

S46 PT #5 - Salary Cap Report

Let me start by saying that I think the league would really benefit from a more flexible cap, like there is a real life. That doesn't mean that the cap is too high or too low per se, but that it should be looked at on a seasonal basis and adjusted accordingly, taking into account team depth along the league among other factors. In years where lots of players from say reddit classes enter the league and teams are packed with up to 4 lines of actives then the cap should be somewhat higher, because in those seasons a strict cap doesnt lead to parity, it just leads to players ending up without a spot in the league altogether. But then in seasons where rosters aren't as packed the cap should be going down again so that we always hover around the same mark, just with a 5-10M swing in each direction.

But now to the task at hand. I'll be looking at the LA Panthers and I actually was a bit surprised to see that the contract values werent as far off from the appropriate real life values than I would've thought. They are generally a tad too low I'd say, but the balance isn't that bad. One player that caught my eye though was Sophia Bennett, a bona-fide superstar and franchise player who in real life would make around $10M, but is sitting at half of that in the SHL. There are a couple of young players on bridge deals like Max Mauldin and Philipp Winter who should likely make a lot more than 3M in the near future, but they aren't there just yet as they've only started to break out this season. Matthew Auston is another player who is quite grossly underpaid but he is sitting on a hometown discount so that doesn't really count. Expect him to be closer to $8M though in a real-world scenario. So getting Bennett and Auston to the appropriate values would already consume about $10M in cap-space on a team that only has $2M in space right now. There wouldn't be a lot of ways to close that gap without dealing a significant blow to the roster. You could probably take off about $4M since send-downs don't count against the cap in the NHL and the Panthers are currently $4M above the send-down gap. The last $4M they need to get rid off could come from players like Lightning Jones or rookie Shouta Aizawa who are useful players but are likely a little bit overpaid at $3M and should be closer to the $1-2M range in real life. The same goes for back-up goalie Ben Holtby who is making $2M right now but should probably be around $1M instead. Adjusting these three players could get the Panthers just under the cap again.

My focus will be on Texas here, they only have a buffer of 500 thousand dollars this season, and there's two contracts that stand out to me as being discounts. The Dude is at the bare minimum for his TPE amount, and is getting paid a million less per season than the next closest player. He's also one of Texas's highest TPE stars and points producers. He's still getting 5 million a season but it should be 6.
The other player that sticks out is Owen Conklin. Getting paid 2 million and having almost 900 TPE? Doesn't matter if he's S30, that's still a big saving for the Renegades right there. Even the rookies who are sent down are getting 3 million, and Brett Kennedy who has 8 less TPE gets a full 1.5 mil more than him a season. Should be at 3 minimum.

If these two players were bumped to what they should be, it would force Texas to be 1.5 in the hole. So who are we jettisoning? John Grossman Jr. that's who. Dude's getting 3 mil and sitting at 337 TPE. Off to the severance package payout queue with him. Problem solved.

[Image: first.png]
[img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/rWt4AB3.png[/img][img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/rWt4AB3.png[/img]
Maxime Bouchard
Armada Dragons Info - Updates  Dragons Armada
Richard Dickbutt McFudderdudder II
Armada Info - Updates Armada

(S36) LW - Dakota Reid
1000 $ 5,000,000.00 $ 5,000,000.00 $ 4,000,000.00 $ 4,000,000.00 $ 4,000,000.00 $ 4,000,000.00

What was the thought process in this signing?

You have a player who is no where near a max earner making top dollar for their TPE class, and is about to, if not already regressing from only 1000 TPE. This screams “scramble to clear cap space later”. Toss in the fact the user is notorious of abandoning ‘Females whose stories bore him” and I worry about San Franciso getting anywhere close to value for this contract and signing. Sure 4M isn’t the most at first, but I fully expect Reid to NOT fight regression hardly at all, and put him into the territory of “oh god why are we paying this 500 TPE player so much” Territory. A big ouch from me once I saw this signing on their roster page, and something that should be re looked at in a few seasons to see the lack of overall value here at the end of it all.

[Image: 4zfXx6o.gif]

Manhattan really has some potential steals for the next few years ripening in their depth chart. A few with team friendly deals really should be making more but take less for the betterment of the team. Truly bringing in a deep team for the next few years, the following contribute more than their paycheck says they should. 

First off we have Jax Aittokallio. The kid is incredibly underpaid with a salary of only $1 Million a year. For the son of a superstar and just an insane talent on the ice and off, I can see him earning 6 million for his career, money that would surely need to be taken from Sulak O' Hritrea if they were to keep Aittokallio with a deserved salary.@JayWhy

Craig Finley does it all. As a Sophomore defenseman he kills the tough penalties, quarterbacks a power play unit that has been pretty lethal this season, and blocks an impressive amount of shots. Recently signing to $3.25 million a year for 3 years, he is also someone I see getting paid less than market value. He could be making at least $4 million in a team that lacks these attributes. Possibly even 5 considering he puts performance bonuses based on earning TPE in his contract. He's a hard worker and want's to be help accountable. @hats_4_days 

I won't toot my own horn too much. James Dekens took a very team friendly deal at $3 Million for 3 years and Dekens has been one of the most potent forwards this season posting a career high 45 points. He could be making $5 million if he wanted in another situation. Many question marks surround the raise however, he plays on a third line and has shown in the past he can't handle the top line matchups when placed on them. Would he be scoring at the same pace on a first or second line? Debatable and his history is shaky. $3 million for a solid third liner. Another steal. @monkey10pts

The team has quickly become a contender with these steals of contracts. There are a couple contracts that could be moved to make room for any raises I quoted.

[Image: dEKENS.png]

3 time Four Star Cup Champion S40-S42
S43 Jesster Trophy Nominee Winner

Scored my first SHL goal in just my second SHL game. 2. Manhattan Rage , James Dekens 1 (Mikael Talo 1, Sigurd Hansen 1) at 18:39
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2019, 11:45 AM by Daco.)

185 words

We will start our analysis with one of the superstars of this team, Bobby Watson. Watson is on a team friendly deal making $6million as a potential MVP candidate. He is a ufa next year. Watson just finished the season with top 5 all time in a season point production, in his dynamic duo with Terrence Nova. Both are at 6mil, but Watson will be a ufa. His 1600+ tpe means he could get whatever salary he demands, I'd say he is worth $10mil but I would not be surprised if he stays another season at the same as Nova, $7mil. Both are team players and are taking under their market value to stay with Minnesota. Chiefs have all but 5 of their SHL roster players entering UFA next year, so things could have drastic change. The hope is to sign everyone as budget allows, and most plan to stay, but I'd say there is definitely no room to attract any big free agents. They could certainly call up one of the many send downs next year in case things go bad and people walk.

@sarmo @Bobby Watson

[Image: S3zuZxo.png]
[Image: 10cjae8.png]

Angelo Odjick, Forward for the Hamilton Steelhawks, is only making $4M this season despite being the top points-getter for the team in S46 with 56. Of those 56 points, 21 points were goals. The man is a beast on the ice and often takes on the opposing team’s top defensive pair. Angelo was a +16 on the ice and did not draw a single penalty the entire season. That is unreal! Angelo is also feared on the powerplay, which is where 24 of his points came from. Angelo is starting to hit regression so he will be declining in the near future, but he should remain a solid forward for the next few seasons. I would probably bump him to $6M per year over 4 seasons to lock him down for a bit. Then with maybe a season or 2 left on his contract, with his permission he could be traded for some picks or a young player. Another great aspect of this increase is that it wouldn’t even affect Hamilton’s roster, as the team does have $2M in cap space available.

Words: 182

[Image: WuRZxKN.png]
Player Twitter
Kryyst: Player Page | Update Page
Stinson:Player Page

PBE PT

[Image: 400x200.jpg]

I'm sorry San Fran, but why in the hell are you guys paying either Howie Dewitt or Kyler Gill 2 mil each to be absolute trash and combine for a grand total of 12 points when you clearly have superior options in other potential trade targets. Seriously, 12 points for 4 mil for a team who only has 1.5 mil for cap space? Ridics, you guys should be transitioning your youth much more quickly to the SHL. Thank god you guys have other youthful players to make up for shitty inactive 1 and shitty inactive 2. Part of me wants to say Ty Hoover or Andy Kerr should be ready for 3rd line duties very soon, but that's being very optimistic about this franchise. Their only prospects who will make the jump next year will either be Lockhart, Montgomery, or both (replacing Barbashev). If both were to move up however, that would force out one of the Pride's current defensemen (*cough* Shirobokov if he re-signs *cough*), who could be moved for a high TPE forward and help shore up the team's fairly mediocre forward core.

In other news, how the hell is Aittokallio only on a 1 mil contract? For a guy who's sitting comfortably beyond 900 TPE and was drafted back in S43, that is a ridiculously small pricetag for such a quality player. Holy shit.

----234 words----

PLAYER | UPDATE
[Image: BBr47PN.png]

[Image: m9F8nRF.png]

NSFL Welfare

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]

[Image: scarn.png]

[Image: m59RPb7.png] [Image: czechup.png]
[Image: giphy.gif][Image: giphy.gif]

[Image: image.png]

[Image: image.png][Image: image.png][Image: image.png][Image: image.png][Image: image.png]

When you look at the Tampa Bay Barracuda’s salary situation, it looks fairly normal, until you see the salaries of some of the highest tpe players on their roster. We’ll start with the less tpe player, Benjamin Blue @"BoucherFan12" (why I must do this I don’t know). Blue is currently sitting at 837 TPE as of Monday March 25th, as a potential Goalie of the Year candidate with a .919 save percentage, his payroll is currently standing at 3 million through the s46 season. The next player who is taking a HUGE discount is Ti-Guy Emond, @gaby . Emond is currently sitting at over 1000 tpe, at a payroll of 5 million. Compared to Carmen Carter II’s 8.6 million salary when he stands at 923 tpe, that is a huge discount and is one of the only reasons the Barracuda are in a playoff spot. Somehow, GM @JSS negotiated these steals of a contract and will probably continue to. Honestly, I don’t think anyone needs to be dropped to make more cap space, but, what could help is to lower the send down contracts by .5-1 million to make room for 1-2 million dollars in cap space.

[Image: BoucherFan12.gif]

[Image: benzeev.gif]

06-11-2021, 05:33 PMKenitohMenara Wrote: [Image: BLUE.jpeg]
Welcome to the hall, Ben!

[Image: 104429989.jpg]

[Image: Depositphotos-46829959-original-1024x602.jpg]

Thomas Bathory and Austin Roenick both deserve max contracts in the SMJHL meaning $3 M. My reasoning for this is Roenick in his rookie season was top 5 in rookie scoring and honestly had an amazing rookie season and he will only get better next year when he has even more time to grow. In his rookie year he is already on the top line for the Lethrbidge Lions on Luffy's left side and honestly does not look out of place in his placement. With the value he adds to the team it is easy to see that he is deserving of a max contract. Another player I think deserves the max SMJHL contract on Lethbridge is Bathory who is an amazing rookie defenseman that basically has already cracked the 2nd defensive pairing and has been playing as if he is a veteran in the SMJHL without any of those rookie struggles. Bathory has easily made a case for himself earning a max level contract as he is quite obviously one of if not the best defenseman out of the S47 draft class and has left a lasting impact on the Lions. He essentially has stepped up to take the role of Brennan Kennedy Jr.who got called up at the beginning of the season and honestly has done an excellent job filling in the large hole that was left behind. @XLeafer @vbottas17

[Image: 57771_s.gif]

[Image: U66t7Jy.png][Image: CXrxOKM.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png][Image: zyyvIFD.png]

[Image: lUeg4KM.png]
(This post was last modified: 03-25-2019, 12:05 PM by karlssens.)

Honestly, digging through the budgets nothing really jumps off the page as "egregious" but there are a few salaries that make you scratch your head. Two players in particular are Sulak O'Hritea and Reginald Rove for the Manhattan Rage. Sulak is a member of the S43 draft class and is one of the better earners, but his gritty play style doesn't lend to a very positive team value as he led his entire team in penalty minutes last season with 56. Not to say there isn't room for that kind of player on your team, but at $6,000,000 it would be preferable to have a player on the ice contributing than sitting penalized in the box. The latter, Reginald Rove was one of the current managements first draft pick selections back in S40. While not one of the strongest earners from his class he has been a great piece for the rebuilt Manhattan Rage. His cap hit of $7,000,000 is justified this season as he finished the season with a team leading 50 points, smashing several personal bests, but with several up and coming names on the roster about to pass him in total TPE it'll be difficult to give him a raise next season, let alone the same pay as this season. Fortunately both of their contracts are set to expire in S47 so the Rage will have the opportunity to restructure a new deal. Given their growth and dedication to the Manhattan organization I can't see them getting a minimum, but something in the neighborhood of $5,000,000 would free up $3,000,000 for some of their other pending UFA's or perhaps a flashy FA as they look to build on their strong S46 season.

@Yurt6 @MyLittleHexx

Thanks for the sig ragnar!
[Image: scholz.png]

pride Armada  Player Page || Update Page  Germany pride

**For SMJHL players: Rookie contracts range from 1-3 million dollars...in 150 words or more, choose some players on your team and explain what there salaries should be worth and what makes them worth that amount? (*tag all players involved)

I will be looking at a few rookie contracts on the Minnesota Chiefs. Most of the players have decent contracts based on the current ELC parameters. One that stands out to me as strange is the contract of Jerry Mander. For a player that has lead the SMJHL in hit for two consecutive seasons, 1 Million for 2 years seems like an under payment. I would be paying 2.5 and looking for max term for an active player of that caliber. @GCool

I would also look at Nicolas Klaus's contract which currently has 2 years left at 2M. For last years top scorer in the SMJHL and a solid performer that was a major reason for Kelowna's first place finish. Klaus should be earning a max value contract. @Noble

I think a bigger reason for the underpayments that occur with rookie contracts are more due to the tight cap space for any SHL team that has more than a handful of prospects. With only 8M specifically allocated for send-downs, the 7 contracts account for 15.5 Million at almost double the normal allocation. This makes it hard for a team to properly value the players it drafts without forcing current players to take discounts.

[Image: spartangibbles.gif]
[Image: qGhUIfY.png]  Outlungus   Usa Monarchs  [Image: PlcJv9V.png]