Create Account

S46 SMJHL PT 5 - IIHF

From when I was a little kid, I always wanted to play for team USA and wearing the red, white, and blue. Being from Illinois I watched the USA v Canada world championship gold medal games and it helped fuel my fire for hockey and I imagined myself in a gold medal game. I recently made the USA WJC squad and I was super excited to see my name being put alongside of other great SHL defensemen. Making the WJC is an important path of making the USA IIHF main roster. If I wasn’t able to play for team USA, I would want to play for team Italy, aka team Europe. I am part Italian and I would love to wear the Italian colors one day. Knowing that Italy hasn’t had a very high-quality player in quite some time would give me the chance to be a star from a really young age. On the USA team I would have to work even harder to become a national star. I think if I went to team Italy, I could bring more exposure to hockey in that country and help it grow more because it is very popular in the United States.

Vadim Askerov Player Page
Vadim Askerov Update Thread

Akashi SixNine, the cousin of former SHLer Jordin FourFour Jr. and his father Jordin FourFour, as well, as the godson of Tony Pellegrino - another former SHLer has his fair share of international roots. With his cousins both being born in the United States of America (Chicago, Illinois) to be exact. The prospects of Akashi SixNines international playing field options were huge. He had the option to Move to the United States as he planned on contacting the IIHF head to inquire on his transfer rights, however, the prospects of playing for his actual birth nation - Canada was something that was too good to turn down.

After being selected to represent the Canadian World Junior Team, Being able to play for a country like Canada is something that not many players can dream of doing. Some people never even make it to the international stage, but being able to represent Canada is huge.

Another team that SixNine would be willing to play for would be the United States, the US is a coveted country that Jordin FourFour Jr. and Jordin FourFour Sr. were slated to play for - but never actually suited up. It appears the Agent just has a dislike for the United States hockey teams.

Akashi SixNine Jr. Updates

Vadim Malichov was born in Novokuznetz, Russia, and lived right next door to fellow Kelowna Knight and Russian World Junior Team member Aleksandr Scherbak for their entire childhoods. As kids, they always dreamed of representing Mother Russia together, even drawing up a contract at age 8 to always play together and make it to the national team together- signed “Sasha and Dima.” When the pair got the news that they’d finally made their childhood promise a reality, Vadim’s mother sent over the original crayon-scrawled contract, now framed of course, for the pair to put up in their shared apartment. Dima, of course, hung it up in the living room, in equal measure to make his mama proud, and to annoy Sasha. Their third roommate, Gunnar Söderberg, had been named to Team Sweden for World Juniors and would be likely facing off against both of his roommates just as he had played against Sasha before they’d officially met.

Gunnar, unable to read the contract as it was both written in crayon and in Russian, wasn’t sure what to make of their new home décor, though it wasn’t wildly out of place for random wall art or throw pillows or once, notably, an entire couch, to just appear without a word of discussion among the three boys. Gunnar decided he had to ask them about it, and settled on questioning Dima over breakfast the next morning as Sasha cooked.

Dima smiled at Gunnar’s question, and pointed at Sasha through the open kitchen door as he explained. “This one couldn’t BEAR the thought of being away from me, and wrote that contract to make me promise I wouldn’t leave him in the dust. Then he goes and plays in World Junior last year without me. Typical Sasha.” He tsked, still grinning.

“Did you guys ever think you’d be playing for different teams? Internationally? That doesn’t sound like you,” Gunnar said, curious.

“Nah, but when Sasha was bitching during the tournament last year about some pretty Swede who kicked his ass all up and down the rink, I maybe told him I should go marry a Swede and play there if that’s where all the good players are,” said Dima. “But maybe instead you play with us someday! Marry a Russian and transfer!”

At that moment Sasha walked in with their breakfast, and all Gunnar could respond was, “Oh good, eggs!”

[Image: 57762_s.gif]

[Image: QhAQn2i.png]    [Image: yIvjn4j.png]

Finnish defensemen Miikka Salo has dreamed about two things for his hockey career; winning the Challenge Cup and helping his native country win a gold medal. While the thrill of the SHL playoffs is exciting and ultimately the larger goal for players Miikka also values his countries performance in the IIHF tournaments. What were once heated rivals in the SHL season players put that aside to play for their home country and win a gold medal. Miikka has recently been added to the Finnish World Junior Championship roster, while still you g even among his fellow countrymen he's more than ready to step up to the challenge. A trend among the SHL is to "flip" countries and play for some country other than your own. The British Isles are a popular choice currently but Miikka would rather not participate in the tournament than play for anyone other than Finland. When asked if he absolutely had to switch he said he'd play for rival Sweden and let anyone slip by him just to watch his rival country fall. As the playoffs wind to a close players will get ready to suit up for their country and with team Finland in the spotlight we'll keep a close eye on Miikka Salo.

[Image: macgriddlesig.png?ex=6531467b&is=651ed17...9ee2d84f&=]
Finland  Stars  Berserkers