Create Account

New approach to junior Playoffs

This is a suggestion to attempt to solve the junior playoff dynamic. 

1.Having all teams in the playoffs is good cause everyone is involved, and it’s about development 
2. Having all teams in the play offs makes the regular season less meaningful. 

Those are the main two points that people tend to argue/discuss/debate, and too my mind they are both valid, so what I am proposing is an attempt to reconcile those two points. 

Firstly, throw away the playoffs, or if not that severely restrict them. Either award the cup to the winner of the regular season, or just to a single 7 game series between 1st and 2nd. Boom playoffs done.

Instead of playoffs there is a new tournament, what might be known as a cup-style tournament. All teams from the season are randomly seeded into an elimination bracket. That reradomises after each round. Resulting in an eventual cup final with the winner of a game/series being awarded a Cup.

The main way it differs from a traditional elimination playoff format is that pairings are random and not seeded. This means the best teams might face each other early in the rounds, which allows for the field to be thinned and makes upsets even more fun and interesting as the seedlings are stacked against those teams.

Now you’d probably still start the cup the same way with the lowest four teams playing a round 1 series(cause ten teams is awkward), and then adding all the other teams to them for a round 2 (remember randomised pairings though).
This could be particularly interesting if combined with say a 1v2 playoff that could happen at the same time as the 1st round of the cup completion which means half the league would be playing games right from the start of the playoffs. 

These are the key advantages I see of such a cup-style system
1. All teams get to play. 
2. Actually exciting as seeding is random, high stakes early on.
3. feels different from normal playoffs so people can be excited about that, maybe makes the juniors a bit more special 
4. Makes the regular season matter again

For those familiar with English football leagues this will sound familiar as it is the format of the FA Cup.
(tdlr for those people: proposing an FA cup style competition instead of playoffs).

[Image: tomasnz.gif]

Player Page

Would the tournament eliminate the regular season too? If not, wouldn't the random seeding render the regular season even more meaningless than it is now?

[Image: 66818_s.gif]

I don’t like the idea that the regular seasons would determine the cup. What would happen is that the rookies won’t play as many minutes because they are trying to win more and the rookies aren’t good st the beginning of the season. At the end of the regular seasons the best rookies are decent 2/3rd liners so when playoffs come teams can use rookies without risk of letting in a lot of goals or have them not producing

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

eliminate all games and go straight to a bracket best of 17

[Image: x17WALp.png]||[Image: uNh8ZtE.png]
[Image: luff.png][Image: luff2.png][Image: luff.png]

03-26-2019, 05:20 PMslothfacekilla Wrote: Would the tournament eliminate the regular season too?  If not, wouldn't the random seeding render the regular season even more meaningless than it is now?

No. It’s a supplement. 

The big shift in mind set here is awarding the main trophy/cup to the team that wins the regular season.. ie that’s the prize. 

This is a fun extra tournament after the regular season. That still awards a cup and can be a desired thing to win cause it is hard to win, need both good team and luck. (Much like current playoffs)

Player Page

03-26-2019, 06:55 PMTomasnz Wrote:
03-26-2019, 05:20 PMslothfacekilla Wrote: Would the tournament eliminate the regular season too?  If not, wouldn't the random seeding render the regular season even more meaningless than it is now?

No. It’s a supplement. 

The big shift in mind set here is awarding the main trophy/cup to the team that wins the regular season.. ie that’s the prize. 

This is a fun extra tournament after the regular season. That still awards a cup and can be a desired thing to win cause it is hard to win, need both good team and luck. (Much like current playoffs)

Ah gotcha, makes sense!

[Image: 66818_s.gif]

03-26-2019, 05:25 PMluketd Wrote: I don’t like the idea that the regular seasons would determine the cup. What would happen is that the rookies won’t play as many minutes because they are trying to win more and the rookies aren’t good st the beginning of the season. At the end of the regular seasons the best rookies are decent 2/3rd liners so when playoffs come teams can use rookies without risk of letting in a lot of goals or have them not producing

So your saying that teams will shelter rookies more during the regular season, maybe play more stacked lines, if there is a meaningful playoff series.

I think the only situation where that wouldn’t be the potential case is the current situation. If 50% of teams made the play offs you’d get similar incentives. I am not saying it might not happen but I think teams are communities and they tend to sort that stuff out a bit anyway.

further this proposal would mean a tournament at the end of their first season where they can be meaningful contributors for the whole th8ng, not just the last bit.

Player Page

I didn't sign up for the FA Cup outside of FIFA

PatriotesUsaWhalers

[Image: CampinKiller.gif]