Create Account

Osbert Whacker: New Japan

In a somewhat under the radar move, three weeks ago Anaheim Outlaws defenseman, Osbert Whacker, transferred away from Team USA and to Team Japan in the International Ice Hockey Federation.  It was heavily detailed early on when Whacker first turned pro that he wanted to distance himself from Team USA, but after time away from them it appeared like things had cooled over and he was ready to embark on the start of his IIHF career.  Well that has seemingly changed and no one knew why and at the same time no one really stopped to ask.  In fact even today, three weeks after the transfer, he was just asked if he was on Team USA still or if he had in fact transferred.  Today Osbert Whacker has agreed to join us and answer some questions related to the move and others about himself.

Was it your idea to transfer away from Team USA?
Not really if I'm being honest.  I actually had no real intentions or thoughts about the IIHF at all, but then my agent contacted me and said he had spoken to some people who were interested in me coming to Japan.  I hadn't heard a word from the Team USA people at all and so it kind o just kick started the process.

Are you still at odds with Team USA?
Of course not, that whole thing was blown a bit out of proportion from what I said.  Were there issues there?  Sure, but that's not what this is about at all.  It's much bigger.

What do you mean?
See I had no intentions of being a professional hockey player, my love was basketball and things seemed to be going down that path where I could play that professionally.  I had a small following and people who believed in me and when I lost that I crashed hard.  I joined the SHL and just getting back to the competitiveness of sports was enough.  Then this past season as I continued to improve and showed what I can do out there my eyes opened once again. I've had more people approach me now asking for autographs and what not than I ever had before.  This is just bigger than myself and Team USA.  You see my brand is global and I need to expose myself to a bigger audience and so this is just me looking out for me and my brand.  Osbert Whacker will be global.

Interesting, so you think you're a good role model?
I never said anything about being a good role model and at the same time sure, why not?  I'm real as it gets and I've been through a lot and have come out on the other side.  Sure I still drink and smoke, but let's get real if you think your kids aren't already doing a lot of that either you got some nerds on your hands or they really being kids and experiencing it.  I don't think everyone needs to become what I was in Riga, but things in moderation are good.

So what do you think you'll bring to Japan?
I'm just going to bring my fire and passion and some leadership.  I think we're going to do some good things and I think I can help facilitate a lot offensively and hopefully put up enough defense.  As far as the country itself I think I think the people of Japan will be able to get behind me as a player and enjoy what I bring to the ice and I think I'll easily be one of the favorites on the team :D  I'm just one of them real down to earth dudes that people from all cultures can get on with.

Alright well thank you for taking the time to sit down with us and answer a few questions.  We definitely look forward to seeing you out on the ice for Team Japan as well as what your Outlaws can do in the playoffs.

[Image: wHACKER.png]

Outlaws Japan

[Image: NCQjJT2.png]
Berserkers     -       syndicate      -     Berserkers