Create Account

My Take on the SMJHL Playoffs
(This post was last modified: 03-29-2019, 02:53 PM by BDonini.)

Ok so this topic came up a few times this week and now that I have some free time I'd like to throw my opinion on it out there. As an SMJHL player, I can understand why every team makes the playoffs. It's a good way to give new members a taste of the fun and make them look forward to something. It's a good idea and I don't think it should go. That being said, the current system kind of feels like it punishes teams for doing well. Waiting a whole week between the end of the regular season and their first playoff game is kind of a drag for the top 6 teams and ruins the experience a little bit. I came up with 2 suggestions, one a little more drastic and one with just a minor tweak.

a) Shorten Round 1
Idea is simple. Keep the same concept where the top 6 get a bye to the 2nd round but shorten the 1st round to make the wait more tolerable. Either change it to a best of 5 series or keep a best of 7 but do 2 games per sim. 

Pros:
System doesn't change much 
Long wait is made shorter 
Everyone experiences the playoffs

Cons:
Doesn't address concerns about making the regular season more meaningful
Involves either rushing playoff sims or changing the series type of the first round

b) Memorial Cup(ish) Style Tournament
Ok so this one is a little more drastic but gets everyone playing right away. Basically have 2 playoff brackets, an upper bracket and a lower bracket. Bottom 6 teams start in the lower bracket, top 4 teams start in the upper bracket. 

Lower Bracket:
Consists of 3 best of 7 series with the winners of all 3 series advancing to the upper bracket,
5 vs 10
6 vs 9
7 vs 8

Upper Bracket:
Consists of a first group stage (played concurrently with the lower bracket series) where the top 4 teams will all play each other twice. The top two teams in this group stage get a semi final bye. 
The 3rd and 4th place teams move on to the second group stage joined by the 3 winners of the lower bracket, all 5 teams play each other once with the top two teams joining the teams already in the semi final.
Finished off with a best of 4 semi finals and a best of 7 finals between the teams mentioned above.

Pros: 
Makes the regular season more meaningful
Almost completely eliminates long waiting period
Everyone experiences the playoffs

Cons:
Drastic change to the system
Still a short (4 game) wait for two teams

Would like to know what people think about these.

[Image: selm.gif]
[Image: sig.gif]

I like the memorial cup style idea.

A week off at the end of the season was meh.

[Image: sdcore.gif]

Player Page [Image: berserkers.png] [Image: syndicate2.png]Update Page

[Image: sgu3vVP.png]
[Image: 9vq7IEu.png]

This may be a crazy idea, but instead of shortening the amount of games simmed in the first round.... sim more games per day to get it over sooner?

[Image: 66818_s.gif]

03-29-2019, 03:04 PMslothfacekilla Wrote: This may be a crazy idea, but instead of shortening the amount of games simmed in the first round.... sim more games per day to get it over sooner?

Yea that was in my first suggestion

[Image: selm.gif]
[Image: sig.gif]

03-29-2019, 04:26 PMBDonini Wrote:
03-29-2019, 03:04 PMslothfacekilla Wrote: This may be a crazy idea, but instead of shortening the amount of games simmed in the first round.... sim more games per day to get it over sooner?

Yea that was in my first suggestion

Holy shit my bad, I legit missed that part of it. My brain read shorten to five games and turned off I think...

[Image: 66818_s.gif]

memorial cup sounds cool. not sure how possible that is within the sths though.

Thanks for the sig ragnar!
[Image: scholz.png]

pride Armada  Player Page || Update Page  Germany pride
(This post was last modified: 04-01-2019, 06:30 AM by Tomasnz.)

Memorial cup idea is similar to the FA cup style idea I posted earlier. But yeah I like that idea.

[Image: tomasnz.gif]

Player Page