Create Account

League Statistician jobs

Hi so there is talk of a league historian job , why not either as part of that recruitment or as part of awards committees, add a specific and decently paid job for a league statistician.

I think basically to acknowledge just how much people love the work that the likes of @"luketd" do and recently @aaronwilson @grok and @Baelor Swift have done with advanced statistics generation.

[Image: tomasnz.gif]

Player Page

I don't know if this necessarily needs to be turned into a job but I think we definitely need a standardized way to grade excel sheets.

Player info | Updates | Stats
SteelhawksCanadaWhalers

[Image: aawil.gif]
(This post was last modified: 04-01-2019, 03:14 PM by GCool.)

04-01-2019, 02:39 PMaaronwilson Wrote: I don't know if this necessarily needs to be turned into a job but I think we definitely need a standardized way to grade excel sheets.

I agree, although its going to be pretty tough. I had said (in a flippant tone) that double the cell count, 1 cell to 1 word, would have been a good place to start.

Edit: the super obvious counter to this is like, "why would you pay for just using raw data?" And I honestly dont have a good answer for that. Were starting down a slippery slope with this.

04-01-2019, 03:09 PMGCool Wrote:
04-01-2019, 02:39 PMaaronwilson Wrote: I don't know if this necessarily needs to be turned into a job but I think we definitely need a standardized way to grade excel sheets.

I agree, although its going to be pretty tough. I had said (in a flippant tone) that double the cell count, 1 cell to 1 word, would have been a good place to start.

I think for data media like spreadsheets and charts, maybe it should go to a more arbitrary system similar to graphics.

[Image: JbAlQ9E.png]

04-01-2019, 03:12 PM.bojo Wrote:
04-01-2019, 03:09 PMGCool Wrote: I agree, although its going to be pretty tough. I had said (in a flippant tone) that double the cell count, 1 cell to 1 word, would have been a good place to start.

I think for data media like spreadsheets and charts, maybe it should go to a more arbitrary system similar to graphics.

So would a report with graphs be given both sets of grading criteria for the final payout?

04-01-2019, 03:20 PMGCool Wrote:
04-01-2019, 03:12 PM.bojo Wrote: I think for data media like spreadsheets and charts, maybe it should go to a more arbitrary system similar to graphics.

So would a report with graphs be given both sets of grading criteria for the final payout?

Brainstorming, but maybe normal article play plus a bonus for helpful supporting data.

[Image: JbAlQ9E.png]

Edit: the super obvious counter to this is like, "why would you pay for just using raw data?" And I honestly dont have a good answer for that. Were starting down a slippery slope with this.

Well it's much less about being paid for just using raw data but for the time taken to compile and interpret the data, then again if that's the case i'm not really sure a pay scale based on # of cells would be the best grading system.

[Image: selm.gif]
[Image: sig.gif]

04-01-2019, 03:22 PM.bojo Wrote:
04-01-2019, 03:20 PMGCool Wrote: So would a report with graphs be given both sets of grading criteria for the final payout?

Brainstorming, but maybe normal article play plus a bonus for helpful supporting data.

I like that. Maybe an abbreviated graphics grading system for how helpful the plots are?

In most cases it takes a lot of time to gather the data and 1 cell = 1 word seems fair to me. Maybe it should be even more if you consider that an excel sheet = half the word count of a forum post.
A more arbitrary system could also work, probably.

Player info | Updates | Stats
SteelhawksCanadaWhalers

[Image: aawil.gif]

Useful data/charts could be graded on a scale like graphics.

Or something like, Spit balling here..

100k bonus, has included raw data file for others to use (Example, someone including links to say , @"luketd" ‘s sheets as a link if that is what they used to undertake the analysis, in my m8nd this doesn’t have to be original, kinda like showing your working bonus)
200k/chart, that adds value to the article (e.g @GCool recent R extracts )
500k to 1mil bonus for producing a new data points/measures, from existing data. (Example, @grok or @Baelor Swift calculating point shares)
1mil to 10mil bonus for creating a new data set for others to use. (Example @aaronwilson scrapping of game files)

[Image: tomasnz.gif]

Player Page