Create Account

Reduce the Length of the playoffs

04-02-2019, 09:48 PMWally Wrote: My thoughts are sim the home and home. Meaning Game 1/2 can be in one sim, Game 3/4 can be in the p.m. sim. Then Game 5 the next morning with Game 6 the next night. If GMs choose to they can sim game 7 right then or wait til next morning. This can be applied each round up til the finals obviously for pbp reasons.

That's a pretty neat idea. It shortens the playoffs by half a week at least if current playoff format is kept the way it is in SMJHL. It's a start.

[Image: Katth.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]
Barracuda Germany Scarecrows Knights

[Image: cgv4vCv.png] [Image: 95lCCDx.png] [Image: GATPRRX.png]
S50 Challenge Cup Finals Game 7
[Image: gNFVjT6.png]

I haven’t been paying much attention to these playoffs, but usually it’s like 3 days in between the end of the season and start of playoffs and also in between rounds. Cut down on this time and I feel like playoffs go much faster

[Image: 34964_s.gif]
[Image: thd650h.png]
Affiliate of:
syndicate Steelhawks Whalers

04-03-2019, 02:30 AMKatth Wrote:
04-02-2019, 09:48 PMWally Wrote: My thoughts are sim the home and home. Meaning Game 1/2 can be in one sim, Game 3/4 can be in the p.m. sim. Then Game 5 the next morning with Game 6 the next night. If GMs choose to they can sim game 7 right then or wait til next morning. This can be applied each round up til the finals obviously for pbp reasons.

That's a pretty neat idea. It shortens the playoffs by half a week at least if current playoff format is kept the way it is in SMJHL. It's a start.

Nope

The GMs need that time between games for possible changes. Any change can have an effect at the sim.

On the other side you cant say to the simmer ... wait until all Made eventually Line changes and then sim.

In the past we had one game per day so its already faster and in my opinion perfect for the GMs and simmer as we run today

[Image: McZehrl.png]

Challenge Cup Wins:
S18 - Riot Seattle Riot (with Chris McZehrl)*
S23 - Wolfpack New England Wolfpack (with Chris McZehrl)*
S27 - Dragons Calgary Dragons (with VLAD McZehrl)
S34 - Rage Manhattan Rage (with VLAD McZehrl)
S37 - Jets Winnipeg Jets (with VLAD McZehrl)
S46 - Stampede Buffalo Stampede (with GOD McZehrl)*

*first ever Challenge Cup of Franchise History

Four Star Cup Wins:
S24 - Whalers Vancouver Whalers (with VLAD McZehrl)
S39 - Scarecrows St. Louis Scarecrows (with GOD McZehrl)

SHL Hall of Fame Members:
S24 - Chris McZehrl Platoon Panthers Dragons Riot Wolfpack *
(GP: 764 | G: 322 | A: 461 | P: 783 | +/-: +109)
S40 - VLAD McZehrl Dragons Riot Rage Stampede Jets Wolfpack *
(GP: 653 | G: 333 | A: 361 | P: 694 | +/-: +141)

*1st Ballot Hall of Famer

small note: GOD McZehrl played at first as Defender and later as Forward!

Yeah, I'm not in favor of cutting down the time either. Playoffs are what it's all about and if they're done in three days the will feel even more meaningless.

Rather find a way to keep people engaged. What I am missing big time is aome kind of portal or something where you can see the results and maybe the tree with one click. Maybe even a headline that is about the playoffs. Right now, you have to click through multiple threads etc. to find results and people who aren't in the playoffs won't do that.

Just find a way to make the playoffs more exciting for everyone. So better coverage, maybe more TPE tasks related to the playoffs etc. Make the playoffs MORE meaningful not less.

[Image: jHIZWUN.png]

I'm in favor of shorting the time between season end and season start. How to achieve that I have no idea.

RETIRED

(This post was last modified: 04-03-2019, 05:34 AM by Chris-McZehrl.)

what you can do is that we had for the SMJHL ... the last teams of each conference fight for more BALLS for the Lottery Draft. so they have a less offseason. (7 games series)
with that you could also do a new format of playoffs!

- 1st and 2nd of each conference (division winners) are seeded for next round.
- place 3 must go against place 6 & place 4 against place 5
- maybe in just 5 games series for this between series!

then the baddest place team from reg season of their conference must go against the 1st (conference winner) and the other winner against the 2nd of the conference.

so you have less members they must wait until next season and you has also more playoff action & a battle of the BALLS.

of course the losers of this between series will be in the lottery draft and there you can also let run a battle of the BALLS series which team will have more BALLS.

Challenge Cup Wins:

Four Star Cup Wins:

(This post was last modified: 04-03-2019, 06:48 AM by RomanesEuntDomus.)

Yes and no.

The Wild Card round is way too long considering how few people actually are involved in it, cut it down to 2-3 days at most so that we don't have 80% of the league waiting for what feels like a week. Aside from that though, the playoffs aren't too long. If anything, our league has a problem with the season + playoffs being too short compared to the offseason (because simming has become so efficient which makes seasons shorter whereas off-season will probably always be 2-3 weeks at least), cutting down the playoffs would mean even less time where there is actual game action going on. Also as kit said, cut down on the downtime between rounds or the regular and the start of the playoffs first before going after the stuff that is actually supposed to be the most important time of our season.

Why not just be patient? Management needs the time to make changes between important games, and they might have lives to attend to during the day.

I have seen this and we are talking about it.

[Image: SS19INy.jpg]

[Image: d9J5DHT.png]  [Image: 16PgOBm.png]

(This post was last modified: 04-03-2019, 08:42 AM by ztevans.)

04-03-2019, 05:33 AMChris-McZehrl Wrote: what you can do is that we had for the SMJHL ... the last teams of each conference fight for more BALLS for the Lottery Draft. so they have a less offseason. (7 games series)

then the baddest place team from reg season of their conference must go against the 1st (conference winner) and the other winner against the 2nd of the conference.

so you have less members they must wait until next season and you has also more playoff action & a battle of the BALLS.

of course the losers of this between series will be in the lottery draft and there you can also let run a battle of the BALLS series which team will have more BALLS.

I feel like I posted this in a suggestion box thread literally last week, but the reason the SMJHL got rid of that series is because literally everyone hated it. The teams hated it, the players hated it, SMJHL HO hated it. It was universally hated. Bringing it back, for the SMJHL or SHL, is the definition of insanity.

It sounds like a neat way to "keep people involved" but in reality the series were often not competitive, usually between teams with very little activity and thus little interest or fanfare in the series, and with teams so bad the GMs had little they could do to adjust during the series to try and make it interesting.

No forever.

EDIT: Oh, the simmer hated it too. I really can't emphasize enough how much it was hated.

Zach Evans[/b] | Player Page | Update Page
Nikolai Evans
| Player Page | Update Page

(This post was last modified: 04-03-2019, 08:46 AM by ztevans.)

04-03-2019, 08:26 AMGCool Wrote: Why not just be patient? Management needs the time to make changes between important games, and they might have lives to attend to during the day.

We have to be REALLLLLY careful with that mindset because that's often what gets the league in trouble. I'm all for 'patience' and understanding people have lives (although I'm not convinced all GMs do Laughing) but it's a big ask to tell 80-90% of the league to just deal with sitting on their thumbs and doing nothing but AC's for two weeks and "just be patient" waiting on two teams because four people have lives. You can't let the GMs run the league at the expense of the common user.

Nikolai Evans

(This post was last modified: 04-03-2019, 09:00 AM by GCool.)

04-03-2019, 08:46 AMztevans Wrote:
04-03-2019, 08:26 AMGCool Wrote: Why not just be patient? Management needs the time to make changes between important games, and they might have lives to attend to during the day.

We have to be REALLLLLY careful with that mindset because that's often what gets the league in trouble.  I'm all for 'patience' and understanding people have lives (although I'm not convinced all GMs do Laughing) but it's a big ask to tell 80-90% of the league to just deal with sitting on their thumbs and doing nothing but AC's for two weeks and "just be patient" waiting on two teams because four people have lives.  You can't let the GMs run the league at the expense of the common user.

I totally understand that. And yeah, not all the GM's have lives to attend to, that's for sure. I guess I'm just confused that with all the moving parts and all the suggestions that I'm sure the Head Office is trying to accommodate, how this one always comes up. Logistically it'd have to take a unanimous vote from all of management for something like this to go through -- as opposed to thinks like appointing a League Historian and streamlining the updating process, which the old heads can effectively ignore at no cost to themselves.

If I'm proven wrong, so be it; I just think this is hot air wasted. I won't believe it's going to change until it does, because I've heard the same complaint since S23.

I've advocated more than most for the "common user" with the ultimate goal of killing the tryhard mentality and making the game actually mean something besides acquiring maximum TPE. I don't think the two week layoff is the tipping point for common users; not right now.

04-03-2019, 08:59 AMGCool Wrote: I totally understand that. And yeah, not all the GM's have lives to attend to, that's for sure. I guess I'm just confused that with all the moving parts and all the suggestions that I'm sure the Head Office is trying to accommodate, how this one always comes up. Logistically it'd have to take a unanimous vote from all of management for something like this to go through -- as opposed to thinks like appointing a League Historian and streamlining the updating process, which the old heads can effectively ignore at no cost to themselves.

If I'm proven wrong, so be it; I just think this is hot air wasted. I won't believe it's going to change until it does, because I've heard the same complaint since S23.

I've advocated more than most for the "common user" with the ultimate goal of killing the tryhard mentality and making the game actually mean something besides acquiring maximum TPE. I don't think the two week layoff is the tipping point for common users; not right now.

In defense of HO, they had actually taken several steps while you were away-ish to condense playoff length.  When I joined the league, it was a three-week endeavor, and it had been chopped down to a much more feasible two weeks with consistency in recent seasons.  Granted, that came at the expense of several PbPs which had mixed but mostly positive reviews, but it was an issue that had been helped.

The issue now, which we haven't even seen in action yet, is where adding a new round fits into the league's "calendar."  The round itself is only a couple of days, but as @Bonk accurately noted on a Big Slappy Hour, that can throw everything on the schedule out of whack since we usually insist on doing preseason on a weekend and starting the regular season on a Monday, and the one time that didn't happen it had some gnarly unintended consequences on things like PT scheduling that left people fuming at the PT team for something they had absolutely no control over.

So yeah, it's just a couple of days of playoffs, but it could easily add a week to the offseason to keep things in rhythm, which puts us right back into that three-week range from the 20s and 30s when people were shouting from the rooftops for a quicker offseason (not that they don't know, but it was more prevalent and justified then).

Nikolai Evans

04-03-2019, 09:11 AMztevans Wrote:
04-03-2019, 08:59 AMGCool Wrote: I totally understand that. And yeah, not all the GM's have lives to attend to, that's for sure. I guess I'm just confused that with all the moving parts and all the suggestions that I'm sure the Head Office is trying to accommodate, how this one always comes up. Logistically it'd have to take a unanimous vote from all of management for something like this to go through -- as opposed to thinks like appointing a League Historian and streamlining the updating process, which the old heads can effectively ignore at no cost to themselves.

In defense of HO, they had actually taken several steps while you were away-ish to condense playoff length.  When I joined the league, it was a three-week endeavor, and it had been chopped down to a much more feasible two weeks with consistency in recent seasons.  Granted, that came at the expense of several PbPs which had mixed but mostly positive reviews, but it was an issue that had been helped.

The issue now, which we haven't even seen in action yet, is where adding a new round fits into the league's "calendar."  The round itself is only a couple of days, but as @Bonk accurately noted on a Big Slappy Hour, that can throw everything on the schedule out of whack since we usually insist on doing preseason on a weekend and starting the regular season on a Monday, and the one time that didn't happen it had some gnarly unintended consequences on things like PT scheduling that left people fuming at the PT team for something they had absolutely no control over.

So yeah, it's just a couple of days of playoffs, but it could easily add a week to the offseason to keep things in rhythm, which puts us right back into that three-week range from the 20s and 30s when people were shouting from the rooftops for a quicker offseason (not that they don't know, but it was more prevalent and justified then).

Thanks for summarizing that well. I had no idea that the conversation progressed to that point.

So if all this is accurate -- and I'm fairly sure it is, because, why would you lie to me -- what's actually preventing the off-time from being condensed? I understand from a management team's perspective if they're simply waiting for this season to end so they can streamline it for next season. That makes the most sense, right? I mean we can talk in real time about how many days it's taking but we've simply never done this before, so it's sort of unreasonable to make a demand RIGHT NOW.

Apart from that, it seems like it's in everyone's best interest to cut the off days between rounds and make GMs abundantly aware of that fact so we can all be better prepared.

04-03-2019, 08:41 AMztevans Wrote:
04-03-2019, 05:33 AMChris-McZehrl Wrote: what you can do is that we had for the SMJHL ... the last teams of each conference fight for more BALLS for the Lottery Draft. so they have a less offseason. (7 games series)

I feel like I posted this in a suggestion box thread literally last week, but the reason the SMJHL got rid of that series is because literally everyone hated it.  The teams hated it, the players hated it, SMJHL HO hated it.  It was universally hated.  Bringing it back, for the SMJHL or SHL, is the definition of insanity.

It sounds like a neat way to "keep people involved" but in reality the series were often not competitive, usually between teams with very little activity and thus little interest or fanfare in the series, and with teams so bad the GMs had little they could do to adjust during the series to try and make it interesting.

No forever.

EDIT: Oh, the simmer hated it too.  I really can't emphasize enough how much it was hated.

I brought that up for only one reason. I know that members of eliminated teams are wait all the time for finished post season. If they have something more to enjoy it could help. On the other side the reg season would be more senseless in my opinion. because a weak team could lose the most balls case for the lottery. So this all were just ideas not more. I also know that many gone inactive because of too long offseasons (Post + offseason).

If we would have something interesting during that time we would make sure that those members wouldnt go inactive.

I liked the old IHF system for that. all players they were on the cup finals werent available for the IHF and the IHF started right on the same time as the cup finals started. but what you gonna do for the prior rounds? maybe you say you can nominate after each round eliminated players and the group stage goes 20 games. After 10 games the first round is over and you can nominate there the eliminated players from the first round. after the group stage so before medal round you can nominate all players they are eliminated after the second round.

if the right members come together I believe we could work something out that the eliminated members would have some more interesting things to follow and we keep there activity. But we also need then seperate simmers because you cant force JR or CampinKiller to do the sims for IIHF or WJC as example.

Challenge Cup Wins:

Four Star Cup Wins: