Create Account

So what happened on draft night?
(This post was last modified: 04-11-2019, 10:41 AM by Fordyford.)

The S47 SHL draft has come and gone, and if nothing else it provided a lot of excitement, and a lot of questionable decisions by GMs. I'm here for a rundown of all the picks (until I get bored), what they mean, how terrible they were, and how surprised people were in the rookie discord.

Players will be listed as follows: Player name, SMJHL Team which drafted them, TPE, SMJHL Draft position, difference in position

Jets  1st Overall: Jax Duggan  Whalers - 275 - 8 OA - +7

Jax went first overall as anticipated by many. An excellent upswing of 7 places from the SMJHL draft, but watching Winnipeg draft him first overall was quite similar to watching a train crash in slow motion, just seeing this terrible thing happen and have nothing you can do about it. Also, he hasn't shut up about it since.

Barracuda  2nd Overall: Gunnar Söderberg  Knights - 286 - 5OA - +3

Gunnar has gone at 2nd, and while he does have to play for Tampa (who appear to have completely ignored their hole in defence in this draft), the 2nd overall pick couldn't have gone to a nicer person. This again was as expected, so if you were one of the fools who copied JNH's mock which had these 2 picks in the wrong order and never changed it, that sucks for you doesn't it.

syndicate 3rd Overall: Corey Kennedy Outlaws  - 275 - 2OA - -1

Kennedy is the first person to drop positions in the draft, but he's gone incredibly high in both. Good on him, although I hear rumours that these 3 picks might want to get together one day. Only time will tell. From this point on all Mock drafts were completely screwed over, because noone had any idea what Chicago would do.

pride 4th Overall: Filip Zadina  Scarecrows  - 305 - 10OA - +6

Zadina was no surprise, as the draft class TPE leader, and so when people were told SFP were looking for a winger, Zadina was who we expected. No doubt he will turn out to be a great player for SFP

Barracuda 5th Overall: Espen Knutsen Jr.  Falcons  - 275 - 9 OA - +4

This one came as a surprise, where everyone was expecting Tampa to take a defenseman because christ do they need one. But Tampa's drafting team (team? or just an octopus and a bunch of cards he can point to) decided that they should take another forward at 5th overall. So off goes Knutsen, although many would've expected a different forward, Tokolosh or Gray, even if they did take a forward. I don't think a single person had this on their mock. The standing theory seems to be that Tampa were thrown off by Kennedy going at 3 and so they lost the plot a bit, maybe taking who they had pencilled in for 8.

Platoon 6th Overall: Tony Ford  Armada  - 273 - 6OA - ==

Tony Ford has time and again showed himself to be the most consistent player in this draft class. He may be the only player in the class to have scored the same amount of points for 23 straight games in the SHL (0. Shut up.), and not only that, he's the only player to be drafted in the same position twice - thanks in no small part to the mighty Acsolap. WKP wanted a defenseman, and according to all sources Tony Ford was the only one they were interested in, so both parties are happy here.

Blizzard 7th Overall: Julio Tokolosh  Raptors  - 275 - 14 OA - +7

Tokolosh was projected to go high in this draft after rumours went around at about 7 46 last night. Aka 1 minute after the mock deadline. Most people tied this pick to a falling Knutsen, so people were trying to work out what would happen now Tampa had screwed it all up. The answer, Edmonton get a solid player, whose only disadvantage is he had the misfortune to be drafted to the Raptors

Barracuda 8th Overall: Cullen Gray  Whalers - 279 - 17OA - +9

Cullen Gray is the biggest winner so far, but he's soon to be usurped. The only thing surprising about this one is they didn't take the still falling Charlie Serpe, who really is one of maybe 2 top defensemen left in this draft, but as we've seen, Tampa is as Tampa does, and despite the fact they could've got at least 2 top defensemen and solved all their issues, they decided to ignore that and keep blundering on with forwards they could still take at their next pick.

Wolfpack 9th Overall: Eko Van Otter  Armada  - 274 - 29OA - +20

Eko Van Otter has once again proved the absolute steal of his draft class, picked at 29th but this time coming in at 9th, gaining a huge 20 places. He is also the only person ever to have wanted to go to the Wolfpack. But hey, it's a personal decision from my favourite teammate. He'll work out why nobody wanted to go there. One day. 

Specters 10th Overall: Charlie Serpe  Scarecrows  - 280 - 15OA - +5

Serpe was dropping in this draft, and it seems NOLA took their chance to strike, swapping lower tier picks for a chance at this defenseman, who they had expressed interest in before the draft. It wasn't a huge surprise to see him going here, and after being passed on by TBB 3 times, one has to wonder what the Barracudas were thinking right about now.

Steelhawks 11th Overall: Sami Raanta - Whalers  - 274 - 16OA - +5

Sami was another excellent pick by the Steelhawks in my opinion. Most believe this wasn't their first choice, but it was definitely a good one. 

Jets 12th Overall: Noah Gallagher - 246 - Not drafted

Noah Gallagher came to the draft class a bit late but has hit a lot of TPE since then, and was a solid, if a little surprising, pick at 12th Overall by the Winnipeg jets. They weren't gonna help anyone who was guessing on their mocks from here.

Barracuda 13th Overall: Austin Roenick -  Lions  - 279 - 11OA - -2

Roenick was dropping quite far here, but Tampa picked him up here. The ever present question why is Tampa taking no defense will be answered with:

Barracuda 14th Overall: Akashi SixNine -  Raptors - 268 - 34OA - +20

FourFour's recreate is the second player to gain 20 places, but this one is from necessity rather than anything else. If Tampa didn't take Akashi SixNine here, there would've been no defense for them ever, and that would've caused them problems down the line. Whether this is enough, only time will tell, but at least they got something before it was too late.

Panthers 15th Overall: Theo Morgan - 250 - Not drafted

There was a lot of speculation about where Morgan would go, with most expecting NOLA to pass on him here and for him to go 16 or 17. This didn't happen because LAP had traded down, and so they took him here, which wasn't a great surprise.

Wolfpack 16th Overall: Slap McShotty - Outlaws - 269 - 43OA - +27

The second player to lose the NEW lottery is Slap McShotty. Despite his amazing name, he couldn't escape being surrounded by wolves. We will say a prayer for our fallen brother now....

And that rounds off the first round. The big surprise of the draft so far is MARC HAGAN. This guy is dropping faster than the value of the pound after Brexit. 

Steelhawks 17th Overall: Aaron Wilson  Whalers  -268 - 37OA - +20

Aaron Wilson was an interesting and seemingly unlikely pick at 17, but probably a good one for Hamilton. It remains to be seen how he'll pan out, but he definitely wasn't a terrible pick.

Stampede 18th Overall: Lallo Selman - 251 - Not drafted

Selman was always likely to go with this pick, so finally some order has been restored to the mocks. Thanks to at least one team doing what they were expected to do (screw you Tampa, and Chicago...)

syndicate 19th Overall: Martijn Westbroek -  Outlaws  - 267 - 23OA - +4

Westbroek moved up a bit, which he may be happy about, but the big story here is it was another pick that people might have actually predicted. Yay for +.5 TPE

pride 20th Overall: Jaguar Jonson -  raiders  - 260 - 32OA - +12

Well shit. WHY DO YOU DO THIS SFP. They picked another player noone had a clue they were going to pick, although really that's because of the lack of defensive depth in the draft. 

Wolfpack 21st Overall: Joseph Laraque -  raiders  - 267 - 12OA - -9

A week of inactivity cost Laraque as he drops 9 places to 21st. However, this is another pick that isn't Marc Hagan. This is the point where CampinKiller was very pleased that he hadn't been picked by NEW. And when we asked Ace to pick Hagan if he dropped to 25, because that would've been amazing.

Stampede 22nd Overall: Nicolaj Muller - 233 - Not Drafted

Wait, a team has made 2 predictable picks? Someone get these guys to teach Tampa how to draft properly.

Blizzard 23rd Overall: Marc Hagan -  Militia  - 277 - 4OA - -19

Hagan is the big loser here, but not as big as if he dropped 2 more spots and got taken by NEW... A huge drop of 19 places from the SMJHL draft and CampinKiller is salty af.

Barracuda 24th Overall: Miika Salo -  Falcons  - 228 - 20OA - -4

I don't even know what to say about Tampa's drafting at this point except... ugh.... why...

Wolfpack 25th Overall: I'm not typing that. -  Falcons  - 254 - 50OA - +25

I'm so sorry to my Polish friend with the long, hard name. (I'm told that's not the only thing he has that's long and hard, but I have no corroborating source on this information. I can reveal that the initial information came from Jax Duggan). Not only will I not type his name because it's way too long, he also has to play for NEW. Requiescat in Pace.

Panthers 26th Overall: Thomas Bathory -  Lions  - 267 - 3 OA - -23

Bathory would've been the 6th decent defenseman in this draft, but he had to go here because vbottas17 is LAP's co-GM. If you didn't have this on your mock... why?

Steelhawks 27th Overall: Dale Miller - 218 - Not Drafted

Another player who wasn't initially drafted, but probably a solid pick from Hamilton here. If you can't tell I'm really getting bored of writing this but I'm gonna soldier on to 2000 words. Only 200 to go now we can do it.

Stars 28th Overall: Harry Carpet -  Lions  - 269 - 41OA - +13

This was about as early as anyone expected the wonderful Harry Carpet to go (I have discovered the pun in that name works much better in an American or Canadian accent. My British one does not do it justice). Toronto needed a goalie apparently, and instead of waiting for Jesster in the next draft they decided to strike now with Harry Carpet. A good pick, and he no doubt would've gone a lot earlier if it weren't for the fact no team was willing to use a pick they could get a skater with.

Jets 29th Overall: Juulius Smonk -  Raptors - 246 - 7OA - -22

Another big loser is Storm and Juulius Smonk. He'll be happy to end up at Winnipeg (at least he dodged the NEW bullet), but it was still surprising to see his player drop quite this low... The only reasonable explanation is nobody likes storm so we'll go with that. (60 more words I believe in myself)

Blizzard 30th Overall: Boruvka Bananak -  Lions  - 265 - 19OA - -11

Bananak goes to Blizzard at 30, who look to have had a decent draft so far. This leaves the highest TPE undrafted player as Spencer MacLean, my Armada teammate, who for some reason that nobody quite understands dropped all the way down to pick 40. My conclusion is whoever drafts these people has no idea what they're doing (except Tomen and JR because Tomen is the best and JR drafted me....)

I've reached 2000 words now and I'm really bored so if you want to find out about the picks beyond 30th then that sucks you'll have to go and look at the draft thread you lazy prick, and make your own opinions... You can do it if you really try. I'm gonna go and eat something because I'm also really hungry.

(double draft media)

[Image: 58170_v.gif]
[Image: 58170_s.gif]
Thanks to @Carpy48 , @sköldpaddor, @Weretarantula, @Bruins10  and @Wasty  for sigs
Extra special thanks to @Julio Tokolosh for the sick gif one
(This post was last modified: 04-11-2019, 11:01 AM by JSS.)

Dubolk, SixNine, Ball, Maui, Salo

all TBB dmen, the oldest is S41. I can also position change in the future.

someone's salty

[Image: 3.png]

04-11-2019, 11:00 AMJSS Wrote: Dubolk, SixNine, Ball, Maui, Salo

someone's salty
A group of world beaters

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

someone's salty

I'm salty about my mock, I'm glad you didn't draft me.

[Image: 58170_v.gif]
[Image: 58170_s.gif]
Thanks to @Carpy48 , @sköldpaddor, @Weretarantula, @Bruins10  and @Wasty  for sigs
Extra special thanks to @Julio Tokolosh for the sick gif one

04-11-2019, 11:14 AMFordyford Wrote:

someone's salty

I'm salty about my mock, I'm glad you didn't draft me.

lol same man, would've been a reach at 5 if I drafted you Smile

04-11-2019, 11:01 AMWannabeFinn Wrote:

someone's salty
A group of world beaters

CBJ gonna lose in 5 bitch

Akashi SixNine Jr. Updates

so many daggers

[Image: x17WALp.png]||[Image: uNh8ZtE.png]
[Image: luff.png][Image: luff2.png][Image: luff.png]

Quote:Another big loser is Storm and Juulius Smonk. He'll be happy to end up at Winnipeg (at least he dodged the NEW bullet), but it was still surprising to see his player drop quite this low... The only reasonable explanation is nobody likes storm so we'll go with that.

@Nobody weow is it true? <3

[Image: SigStorm.png]
[Image: QHLWtic.png?1]
san francisco group of cats - mikael koskinen
quebec city citadelz  - mikael koskinen

04-11-2019, 11:25 AMJSS Wrote:
04-11-2019, 11:14 AMFordyford Wrote: I'm salty about my mock, I'm glad you didn't draft me.

lol same man, would've been a reach at 5 if I drafted you Smile

you seem to know about reaches Biggrin

[Image: selm.gif]
[Image: sig.gif]

04-11-2019, 12:21 PMBDonini Wrote:
04-11-2019, 11:25 AMJSS Wrote: lol same man, would've been a reach at 5 if I drafted you Smile

you seem to know about reaches Biggrin

hmu back up in 10 seasons

04-11-2019, 12:24 PMJSS Wrote:
04-11-2019, 12:21 PMBDonini Wrote: you seem to know about reaches Biggrin

hmu back up in 10 seasons

I've already got 13 for you to choose from

[Image: selm.gif]
[Image: sig.gif]

someone's salty

Why would anyone be salty about not getting drafted to Tampa?

[Image: 66624_s.gif]
[Image: 56096_s.gif]
Credit to Ml002, King, Wasty, Carpy, Bruins10, Rum_Ham, Turd Ferguson, Ragnar and Enigmatic for the sigs.
Forge Stampede Inferno Specters Wolfpack Platoon Armada Scarecrows Uk

Player page | Player updates
[Image: wMGKypg.png]

04-11-2019, 12:32 PMAcsolap Wrote:

someone's salty

Why would anyone be salty about not getting drafted to Tampa?

When did I say he was salty about not getting drafted to Tampa? Did you not read the "fuck Tampa for ruining my mock" ?

04-11-2019, 12:34 PMJSS Wrote:
04-11-2019, 12:32 PMAcsolap Wrote: Why would anyone be salty about not getting drafted to Tampa?

When did I say he was salty about not getting drafted to Tampa? Did you not read the "fuck Tampa for ruining my mock" ?

No reading is for nerds.

[Image: 66624_s.gif]
[Image: 56096_s.gif]
Credit to Ml002, King, Wasty, Carpy, Bruins10, Rum_Ham, Turd Ferguson, Ragnar and Enigmatic for the sigs.
Forge Stampede Inferno Specters Wolfpack Platoon Armada Scarecrows Uk

Player page | Player updates
[Image: wMGKypg.png]

Spicy

[Image: MCP_.gif]
     [Image: ICON1.png][Image: lions-button-updates.png]