Create Account

A Sloth Specters and Raiders Draft Recap

2x Draft Media Please, I need to buy equipment and feed my roomba.
(Ready for grading, 1380 Words before formatting I think)

With the S47 draft finally in the books (I'm actually shocked that it isn't still going with the pace we had last night) I figured I would ramble about the best draft pick (Charlie Serpe at 10 overall of course) and all the other picks in the draft so that I can feed my child Rupert with SHL dollars.  We will see how far into the draft I get before I lose my mind.  And here we go.... (Hey it is me again, all the other picks have turned into the active Raiders players I gave up very easily)

The greatest team in the SHL, the New Orleans Specters, made quite a splash in the first round on draft day.  The Specters were sitting at pick fifteen in the first round, and when the Los Angeles Panthers were on the clock at 10 overall the Specters decided to pounce.  New Orleans paid a heavy price to get the tenth overall pick, sending picks 15, 31, and 37 to the Panthers in exchange for the lone pick 10.  But the Specters did so with good reason and they were able to snag defenseman Charlie Serpe from the St. Louis Scarecrows as their lone draft pick in the S47 SHL draft.  I did try to find the player "PASS"'s player page but was unable to, so I'm going to stick with just Serpe for now.  After spending their top two S46 draft picks on wingers, the New Orleans Specters this time opted for a smooth offensive defenseman.  Let's get to know him:

10th Overall to the New Orleans Specters
Charlie Serpe, Offensive Defenseman  Scarecrows  
Born: USA
TPE:280
S46 SMJHL Regular Season Stats: 50 Games Played, 1 goal, 20 assists (21 points), +0, 20 PIM, 32 hits, 40 SB
S46 SMJHL Playoff Stats: 19 Games Played, 1 goal, 3 assists (4 points), +3, 0 PIM, 13 hits, 33 SB

Serpe had an outstanding regular season with the Scarecrows.  Despite being a defenseman, Serpe managed to put up the most points of any of the Scarecrows rookies during S46.  He wasn't just putting up points, as the Crows ended up leaning on Serpe quite a bit, giving him the fourth most minutes of the defense on St. Louis at just over 19 minutes per game.  The Specters must really have noticed how much the Scarecrows trusted the young defenseman on the ice.  It was very telling that St. Louis not only trusted Serpe to log a lot of even strength minutes, but also gave him plenty of special teams time: 108 minutes on the penalty kill and 160 minutes on the power play.  This is quite impressive for an offensive defenseman.  There are also signs that Serpe is just scratching the surface of his talents.  Despite putting up a healthy chunk of points, including 20 assists, he did only score one goal in the regular season.  But one only has to look at his 2.7 shooting percentage to see that this was due to extremely bad luck on Charlie's part, and he should see a healthy increase in his sophomore season in St. Louis or I will eat a Halifax shirt live on stream.  Some may point to his lower hit total on the season and think that Serpe is all offense, but they would be wrong.  Let's just move on to his playoff performance.  While his point production slipped a bit with only 4 points in 19 playoff games, Serpe was asked to lock down opposing forwards and boy did he. Serpe's 33 shot blocks were tops for all of the Scarecrows players.  In fact, he was almost 10 shot blocks ahead of second place for the entire SMJHL, showing that he was elite among the entire league too.  This shows that Serpe is a multidimensional player and the Specters made a great decision to move up to snag him.  He should anchor their defense in the future.

21st Overall to the New England Wolfpack
Joseph Laraque, Sniper Forward  raiders
Born: USA
TPE: 267
S46 SMJHL Regular Season Stats: 50 Games Played, 16 goals, 13 assists (29 points), -3, 17 PIM, 26 hits, 9 SB
S46 SMJHL Playoff Stats: 13 Games Played, 4 goal, 2 assists (6 points), -1, 4 PIM, 12 hits, 3 SB

Laraque was drafted high in the second round by the Halifax Raiders, and he definitely did not disappoint in his rookie season.  Despite being a rookie, Laraque came in third in points for all of the Halifax skaters with 29 points in 50 games.  This was also good for third among all rookies in the SMJHL.  The Raiders definitely needed his scoring touch after finishing near the bottom in total offense the season before.  Laraque tied with Troy Reynolds for the Halifax goal scoring lead at 16 goals, which also paced all rookies across the league.  The Halifax front office had to be plenty happy with his scoring touch.  In fact, the Raiders' coaches were able to use Laraque up and down the lineup over the course of the S46 season.  Starting the year on the third line, Laraque eventually saw minutes on both the top and second lines before settling back into the third line for the playoff run.  Speaking of the playoffs, Laraque took a slight step back in his point generation putting up 6 points in the 13 Halifax playoff games.  This was a bit of a surprise as Laraque averaged more minutes per game in the playoffs (just under 20 minutes a game) than he did in the regular season (just under 16 minutes a game), but the Raiders were looking to Laraque to play tougher minutes.  He did step up in his defensive responsibilities, posting higher hit and shot block rates than he did in the regular season.  Laraque took a leave of absence from the Raiders for a time, which probably explains his minor slide in the SHL draft.  But New England made a very smart decision to scoop Laraque up at 21 overall.

41st Overall to the Calgary Dragons
Esa Parmborg, Two-Way Forward  raiders
Born: Iceland
TPE: 273
S46 SMJHL Regular Season Stats: 50 Games Played, 6 goals, 9 assists (15 points), -8, 20 PIM, 44 hits, 4 SB
S46 SMJHL Playoff Stats: 13 Games Played, 2 goal, 5 assists (7 points), -1, 4 PIM, 10 hits, 0 SB

I really don't understand how a player of Parmborg's stature could fall this far in the draft (just look at his stature, seven feet tall and 350 pounds, you can't teach that).  The Halifax Raiders made a bold move trading for the first overall pick in the previous SMJHL draft to grab Parmborg, and nobody was surprised.  Parmborg was the ultimate team player for Halifax this season, sliding from center to wing and spending the entire season on the Raiders' third line.  While Parmborg saw just under 14 minutes a game last season, he took his assignments seriously and you could see that show up in his hitting stats: his 44 hits last year paced all of the Halifax rookie forwards.  The Raiders asked Parmborg to fulfill his promise as a two-way forward and he definitely did.  Parmborg's 15 points during the regular season were good enough to place him second behind Laraque (who he spent a lot of time with on the third line) among all of the Halifax rookies, showing that he has an offensive touch as well.  This was only further highlighted when Parmborg surged in the S46 playoffs with 7 points in 13 games.  Parmborg's point total, especially the five assists, gives Halifax a ton of confidence in moving Parmborg up in the lineup next season where he should see significant minutes, and Parmborg should be a lock to increase his point production moving forward.  Despite spending more of his time on his offense, Parmborg still found the time to hit 10 people in his 13 playoff games.  Is there anything that Parmborg can't do???  I'm sure this strong playoff performance is what caught the eye of the Dragons, though once again I am not sure how he fell this far.  Maybe there is some worry that Parmborg won't stick around very long in the SHL?  Who knows.  Either way the Dragons got a great player late!

[Image: 66818_s.gif]

I hope you don’t have to eat a shirt

Vadim Askerov Player Page
Vadim Askerov Update Thread

04-11-2019, 05:06 PMSerpe x 13 Wrote: I hope you don’t have to eat a shirt

I'm really counting on you here  Popcorn

boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

[Image: x17WALp.png]||[Image: uNh8ZtE.png]
[Image: luff.png][Image: luff2.png][Image: luff.png]

04-11-2019, 05:19 PMslothfacekilla Wrote:
04-11-2019, 05:06 PMSerpe x 13 Wrote: I hope you don’t have to eat a shirt

I'm really counting on you here  Popcorn

As a scarecrow, I don't want you to do it because Serpe is going to be carrying our team and he will definitely produce. However, as a human being with needs and desires, I want to see you eat the shirt.

Pass Forfeit (D) ● Player Profile
Kraken Rage Panthers

[Image: esilverm.gif]
Special thanks to Blitz, jhockey, Ragnarr, and sulo for the gorgeous sigs <3

[Image: DG0jZcS.png]

04-11-2019, 06:57 PMesilverm Wrote:
04-11-2019, 05:19 PMslothfacekilla Wrote: I'm really counting on you here  Popcorn

As a scarecrow, I don't want you to do it because Serpe is going to be carrying our team and he will definitely produce. However, as a human being with needs and desires, I want to see you eat the shirt.

[Image: giphy.gif]

04-11-2019, 07:29 PMslothfacekilla Wrote:
04-11-2019, 06:57 PMesilverm Wrote: As a scarecrow, I don't want you to do it because Serpe is going to be carrying our team and he will definitely produce. However, as a human being with needs and desires, I want to see you eat the shirt.

[Image: giphy.gif]

Serpe's shot percentage is 16.98% with 9 games left on the season. You lucky bastard

[Image: bBewzRV.png]

Pass Forfeit (D) ● Player Profile
Kraken Rage Panthers

[Image: esilverm.gif]
Special thanks to Blitz, jhockey, Ragnarr, and sulo for the gorgeous sigs <3

[Image: DG0jZcS.png]

05-11-2019, 01:07 PMesilverm Wrote:
04-11-2019, 07:29 PMslothfacekilla Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif]

Serpe's shot percentage is 16.98% with 9 games left on the season. You lucky bastard

[Image: bBewzRV.png]

CACKLING