Create Account

Julio's Draft Week Rollercoaster

*same post as the one in graphics, don't read it if you've read that one. it didn't get better and the grammatical errors are still here*

Early in the week, during discussions with GM's, I had the idea that I could be taken 3rd overall. I had the 7th highest TPE at the time in my class, an even higher TPE earned per day, had the job to earn the necessary money, and the media contributions to earn even more. I started to drink the cool-aid.

As draft day neared, a few more GM's reached out. Most confirmed what others had said (except for one, who told me my build sucked and s/he wouldn't take me if I fell to the second half. honestly it was good to hear, and I'm making the recommended edits). More cool-aid.

I knew I wanted to make a new signature for my new team, the special occasion, and that sweet sweet 2xDinero. I got started on an idea, closer to my previous draft one (portfolio to come), but wanted to go bigger. Obviously limited by upload size and design principles, I didn't mean literally. I wanted something that would have a wide appeal, tell a story and be fun to see. I had a few ideas. With the first two picks of the draft being publicly locked, and myself projected as a third, why couldn't I do a fun draft day picture of the top three? like a cheesy picture that implies "these guys will be forever tied to each other", except no one cares about those pictures after a few games, or they really care about the picture when making the rivalry documentary two decades later. I had my idea and another glass of cool aid.

[Image: jyIVcpL.png]

I loved it. I was so proud. A fun signature with a broader appeal. The IZZY.TV reference? The bottom scroll? felt like I belonged in the SHL, and the part with me holding up an East coast gang sign reminded me that it could all be here soon. As I masked and color corrected the cow's hand back to the generic hockey honky (is there an "e" in there? or does it not matter, like whisky or whiskey? what dialect of slur did I just use? please comment below), I started to think "What if that one thing happens that those two guys said?" I needed to be more prepared for my debut. Another hour and a half of masking, layering, color replacing, warping, and light adjusting (the live text change took no time at all, obviously). I would be covered if either option happened. At this point, I needed to run to the store and get more cool-aid.

[Image: 82Z2SsS.png]

Tampa Bay moving up to take someone there would be pretty wild, though. In real life, the ensuing pictures would be of the two teammates. What could I do to celebrate that? My mind turned to the sponsorships that Gunnar and I would enjoy together, as the symbols of rebirth in a franchise that was beginning one of the most ambitious rebuilds that I'd ever seen on the two months that I've been on the website. A hip hop album! A combined charity! Our nickname of #SwedishMeatballs! It was all too easy. The media pieces would write themselves, and the graphics would flow instinctually through my hands.

At number 3 overall, the Chicago Syndicate have selected: Corey Kennedy.

I was heartbroken. Not to fall past what I had believed my efforts had placed me. Not because I fell even further after that. I was disappointed in myself for losing sight of what I was there to do. For placing too much stock in the mock drafts of Jenny and StamkosFan. And for having my hubris just one "update signature" button click away, ready to proudly display, in the name of "sharing in the joy with Soderberg and Duggan." It was selfish and vain and I've felt bad about it since, and the only way to start to clear my petty, selfish, prideful conscience is to share it here (and collect some money for it. I'm still working on greed).

I am honored to have been selected by the Edmonton Blizzard. Next week I will begin putting together a signature celebrating our impressive Blizzard rookies. I hope to be able to add on to the graphic post, but for written media, this should be all of it.

Word count: 750 (including that last BS sentence to get me to the nice round number, but not including this one nor the starred one at the beginning) is there double pay for rookie/draft week? if so, i would like it.

Player Page || Player Updates || Visual History

Whoever wouldn’t have drafted this man in the second half if he fell is absolutely BANANAS.

[Image: LB6bY06.gif] [Image: tanner.png]

You're still my favorite cow in the league!

[Image: zS2lCMp.png] 

[Image: carpy48.gif]
sigs either by @Wasty, @Nokazoa, @sulovilen, @Capt_Blitzkrieg, @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @enigmatic, @Lime or myself

Stars Lions Berserkers
[Image: p1gG0LD.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: ctsxTFg.png]
my portfolio | my sig shop | gfx discord
[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]
[Image: AfpXX8l.png]

Wait... Should I be offended... I feel like I should be offended.

[Image: sdcore.gif]

Player Page [Image: berserkers.png] [Image: syndicate2.png]Update Page

[Image: sgu3vVP.png]
[Image: 9vq7IEu.png]
(This post was last modified: 04-11-2019, 02:43 PM by DeletedAtUserRequest.)

[Image: jyIVcpL.png]

If it means anything this post is top three in my books Cool  

Note: Izz.tv has purchased the rights to the Tokolosh draft day gang sig and will use it in future sig rotation..

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria

Once again... your graphics are amazing haha

[Image: 66818_s.gif]

Hilarious man

[Image: jHIZWUN.png]

04-11-2019, 02:33 PMMike Izzy Wrote: [Image: jyIVcpL.png]

If it means anything this post is top three in my books Cool  

Note: Izz.tv has purchased the rights to the Tokolosh draft day gang sig and will use it in future sig rotation..

Ok now I'm offended...

[Image: sdcore.gif]

Player Page [Image: berserkers.png] [Image: syndicate2.png]Update Page

[Image: sgu3vVP.png]
[Image: 9vq7IEu.png]

we're delighted to have you. Edmonton offense is under a major overhaul with several long term guys entering regression. You'll be a big piece in a few seasons Blizzard

Thanks for the sig ragnar!
[Image: scholz.png]

pride Armada  Player Page || Update Page  Germany pride