Create Account

Harry Carpet post-draft interview

The S47 SHL draft has come and gone and the entire draft class got redistributed and found a new home with their new teams. Everything is new for everyone and every player is busy answering interview questions. This is Randolph 'Randy' Reporter again, one last time reporting from Hamilton before they're going to kick me out of this hotel, because I shouldn't really be here, but that doesn't stop me. We tried all evening to get to our favorite goalie Harry Carpet to ask him a few more questions after the draft, but word was he didn't want to talk to anyone for unknown reasons. Luckily I used my insider knowledge and found a way to get him to talk.

~~~

RR: Hi Harry, I hope you like your drink. Thanks for taking the time again.

HC: Hi Randy. I still don't know how you managed to get in here and I don't want to know, but yes, I'll take the coffee.

RR: First of all congratulations on your draft! For those of you who missed it, you got drafted 28th overall by the Toronto North Stars. How does it feel? Did you expect to get drafted at this position?

HC: Thank you. I'd also like to thank everyone who helped me to get here. I'm very happy with my new team. About the position... for some others it was relatively clear where they would like, especially guys like Duggan and Söderberg, but for me there were so many different predictions, I just didn't know. Some saw me go in the first round, others early in the second, but eventually Toronto was the lucky team that got me. I also reached my personal goal and was the first goalie taken in the draft.

RR: Did you talk to Toronto before the draft or was it a big surprise for you?

HC: Yes, they were one of the teams that contacted me and it sounded like they liked me a lot. I knew some other teams were also very interested, but Toronto made it clear I would be a great fit for their organization and the feeling was mutual. They needed a goalie, I needed a team. Perfect.

RR: Do you already know anyone on your new team?

HC: Not many. I know that one of my Lethbridge teammates, Donny McMasters, was drafted by Toronto last year. There's also two other rookies like Mattie Brunton who recently won the Four Star Cup with St Louis or Ja'Aj Coitus-Wagg from Colorado, but I haven't talked to them before. It doesn't matter, because I'll meet all of them soon anyway.

RR: Take us through the draft again. It was your second time being drafted after the SMJHL draft last year. How was this one different?

HC: I'm not sure if being drafted before makes it any easier. I was just as nervous. If you get picked first overall, at least it's over quickly. The longer you have to wait, the more nervous you get and the more coffee you drink. Luckily I had my parents there with me and some good friends. I didn't have to wait until the fifth round this time either and I knew all the guys who got picked before me so I was happy for them and it was interesting to see which team everyone ended up with. All I felt was relief when they finally called my name. My parents were very proud of me.

RR: I'm sure they are. Since we didn't get to talk to you right after the draft - what did you do after the event?

HC: The usual tasks we all had to do. Things like interviews, photo-shoots and then we celebrated. I'm not going to go into any details here, but if you hear any stories about drunken cows and otters, don't believe them. Anyway, to change the topic - it's been the last time for a while that we could all just hang out without having to think about the next game to play and being opponents. It's different, but I enjoyed it.

RR: What are your plans for the off-season?

HC: After the WJC is over, I'll just train and continue with my job in the league that I started last season. After the season is before the season and I want to be ready. We have big plans with Lethbridge.

RR: Which leads me to the next question - how long do you still see yourself in the juniors with the Lethbridge Lions?

HC: It all depends on Toronto. Originally I had thought to stay down a little longer and develop. Not rushing things, but I know they want me up sooner than later, so that's something we'll have to talk about. For now I'm happy in Lethbridge and I hope to get more ice time next season.

RR: Well, I believe someone's trying to throw me out of here any second, so last question. Why do you drink so much coffee?

HC: It's a Finnish thing, you wouldn't-….

~~~

Unfortunately that's where my recording ends, because security took me away. We couldn't end the interview properly, but we will try to follow Harry Carpet through his career and try to get more exclusive interviews once we have found a better strategy without looking suspicious at every media event. Meanwhile I'm going to do some research about drunken cows and otters. I hope you have enjoyed this little interview series from the draft.

~~~

2x draft week
900+ words

[Image: zS2lCMp.png] 

[Image: carpy48.gif]
sigs either by @Wasty, @Nokazoa, @sulovilen, @Capt_Blitzkrieg, @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @enigmatic, @Lime or myself

Stars Lions Berserkers
[Image: p1gG0LD.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: ctsxTFg.png]
my portfolio | my sig shop | gfx discord
[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]
[Image: AfpXX8l.png]