Create Account

Updating Issues

04-15-2019, 10:42 AMThatDamnMcJesus Wrote: There is already an format posted stickied  in every SHL  updating sub-forum

http://simulationhockey.com/showthread.php?tid=13931

It just needs to be updated with the karey rule.

That should be edited with TPE: X+Y instead of just TPE: Y

Alonzo Garbanzo Final Tallies (Among Defensemen):
2nd in Goals (208), All-Time Assists Leader (765)*, All-Time Points Leader (973), 3rd in Hits (2587), All-Time Blocked Shots Leader (1882)*
*All-Time Leader Among All Skaters
Player Profile | Update Thread
[Image: IeEV7Iv.png]

(This post was last modified: 04-15-2019, 10:51 AM by JNH.)

04-15-2019, 10:48 AMMike Izzy Wrote:
04-15-2019, 10:38 AMGCool Wrote: @JNH and @Mike Izzy  I appreciate it. Good points and suggestions - I do like the idea of an [updated] update template to incorporate in the "new player package", so to speak. It might help a little bit to blow the dust off the "My First PT!" template and re-visit just how useful a learning tool it is.

Yes sir....every updating OP is different ... make that first page a tutorial with a cut and paste template and a paragraph or 2 what you think are the important for them to know as well as the departments expectations. Small addition with long lasting positive implications. Cheers

Yeah the link to "how to update" link now just sends you to another post about making a player thread lol. Then it links people to a video about updating or like 3 posts down there's an example. Incredibly clunky.

[Image: NCQjJT2.png]
Berserkers     -       syndicate      -     Berserkers

04-15-2019, 10:38 AMGCool Wrote: @JNH and @Mike Izzy  I appreciate it. Good points and suggestions - I do like the idea of an [updated] update template to incorporate in the "new player package", so to speak. It might help a little bit to blow the dust off the "My First PT!" template and re-visit just how useful a learning tool it is.

Updating template is a great idea.. although I feel like it shouldn't be complusory .Just provided for use. 
Especially if an updater just posts it in every new players update thread saying. Hey if you don't have a system you like better. Try use this. 

I think on thing I would say is, I got a really good update from someone at the start of this last season. I made a rookie mistake in understanding the update scale and they were really cool and updated me with some modifications to the numbers. I was able to learn from that and appreciated the help. So if someone is trying and has been fairly good, and makes a mistake, I feel like forgiveness and guidance is good not just, sorry can't update you .

[Image: tomasnz.gif]

Player Page

04-15-2019, 10:32 AMGCool Wrote:
04-15-2019, 10:28 AMcaltroit_red_flames Wrote: Updating doesn't suck. For experienced members. If you've been doing it for about 2 seasons you know what you're doing. The issue is updating is tedious and a lot of people don't like dealing with the numbers so they rush through it and don't want to deal with it.

Truly, until there's some sort of automated error checking or automated updating the issue isn't going to get better.

The learning curve is steep for a lot of people. It's one of the more confusing aspects of the forum to learn. There are a lot of people who simply don't get it or can't be bothered.

I'm all for simply refusing the updates until they get their shit together, and GM's should be held accountable if shit like that continues to happen. I just want to know, from people who have had their updates sent back, what the big fucking deal about spending time on the precious TPE is.

I'm working on an updating page. Should help with this.

[Image: doubtfulalpha.gif]
[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
[Image: sN8N4xa.png][Image: 639861613880541184.png] Cal Juice [Image: 639861613880541184.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] Tomas Zadina
[Image: snacnei.png] Brady McIntyre
[Image: ice-level.svg]

04-15-2019, 11:20 AMcaltroit_red_flames Wrote:
04-15-2019, 10:32 AMGCool Wrote: The learning curve is steep for a lot of people. It's one of the more confusing aspects of the forum to learn. There are a lot of people who simply don't get it or can't be bothered.

I'm all for simply refusing the updates until they get their shit together, and GM's should be held accountable if shit like that continues to happen. I just want to know, from people who have had their updates sent back, what the big fucking deal about spending time on the precious TPE is.

If you dont mind, please give it to me/the updaters before you release it (I dont know what your plan is so I'm not saying you weren't going to). I just want to make sure we are all on the same page before a template gets used.

i had a big reply, but i forgot to click reply and now all the points are made. dangit.

anyways, after banking stuff goes through, i have a few ideas for updating. Basically two parts of an update: the adding tpe from tasks/trainings and the attribute adjustments. Might be hard to only do one without the other and still make things simpler overall. but i can give it a whirl.

[Image: JbAlQ9E.png]

04-15-2019, 11:20 AMcaltroit_red_flames Wrote:
04-15-2019, 10:32 AMGCool Wrote: The learning curve is steep for a lot of people. It's one of the more confusing aspects of the forum to learn. There are a lot of people who simply don't get it or can't be bothered.

oh cool what are you doing

[Image: JbAlQ9E.png]

Dude did a really solid video guide done seasons ago. The template really good.

RETIRED

04-15-2019, 11:30 AM.bojo Wrote:
04-15-2019, 11:20 AMcaltroit_red_flames Wrote: I'm working on an updating page. Should help with this.

oh cool what are you doing

Just a simple HTML form. Table you can increase/decrease the size of depending on the size of your update with some buttons. Input the task name, give the link, the amount of capped/uncapped TPE and then it spits out your update text.

[Image: sN8N4xa.png][Image: 639861613880541184.png] Cal Juice [Image: 639861613880541184.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png]

As an updater, I don't like rejecting updates. I'll normally try and work with what I'm given but for people who have been around the site for a long time it is hard to believe you can't take the time to make a proper update when new people get it right their first try and most have it down by the end of their rookie season. I think a universal template for updates is a big step in the right direction.

[Image: spartangibbles.gif]
[Image: qGhUIfY.png]  Outlungus   Usa Monarchs  [Image: PlcJv9V.png]

04-15-2019, 11:25 AMGCool Wrote:
04-15-2019, 11:20 AMcaltroit_red_flames Wrote: I'm working on an updating page. Should help with this.

If you dont mind, please give it to me/the updaters before you release it (I dont know what your plan is so I'm not saying you weren't going to). I just want to make sure we are all on the same page before a template gets used.

It's not done but check my updates, it's gonna look like them.

04-15-2019, 11:42 AMcaltroit_red_flames Wrote:
04-15-2019, 11:25 AMGCool Wrote: If you dont mind, please give it to me/the updaters before you release it (I dont know what your plan is so I'm not saying you weren't going to). I just want to make sure we are all on the same page before a template gets used.

Hi Cal, I would recommend adding a line for banked TPE as well

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria

04-15-2019, 11:45 AMMike Izzy Wrote:
04-15-2019, 11:42 AMcaltroit_red_flames Wrote: It's not done but check my updates, it's gonna look like them.

Hi Cal, I would recommend adding a line for banked TPE as well

Good idea!

I've been working on a really simple bit of python code to format updates consistently. Ever since I had a 70 TPE update with equipment and realised that it must've been a pain to update.

[Image: 58170_v.gif]
[Image: 58170_s.gif]
Thanks to @Carpy48 , @sköldpaddor, @Weretarantula, @Bruins10  and @Wasty  for sigs
Extra special thanks to @Julio Tokolosh for the sick gif one
(This post was last modified: 04-15-2019, 11:51 AM by Tomen.)

04-15-2019, 11:42 AMcaltroit_red_flames Wrote:
04-15-2019, 11:25 AMGCool Wrote: If you dont mind, please give it to me/the updaters before you release it (I dont know what your plan is so I'm not saying you weren't going to). I just want to make sure we are all on the same page before a template gets used.

The number of TPE being on the very left of each line/claim makes it easier on the updaters than on the right.
Great sutff overall tho

[Image: KSelich.gif]
Thank you all for the amazing sigs & player cards
Germany Citadelles  Stampede [Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: Raptors.png][Image: gs89eGV.png] [Image: eE2UQZC.png] Stampede Citadelles Germany

3. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 5 (Maximilian Wachter, Alexis Metzler) at 16:25
5. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 6 (Steven Stamkos Jr., Brynjar Tusk) at 19:48
8. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 7 (Brynjar Tusk, Alexis Metzler) at 13:55
9. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 8 (Anton Fedorov, Mikelis Grundmanis) at 15:12
10. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 9 (Dickie Pecker) at 19:43 (Empty Net)