Create Account

Graphics Payouts

04-16-2019, 03:11 PMJNH Wrote:
04-16-2019, 02:59 PMslothfacekilla Wrote: Same reaction for me still haha.  I uh... use a LOT less.

Also, I guess I forgot how amazed I was with the layers in the championship banner file you posted

That tutorial is the SHL's equivalent of the Enlightenment.

ur sig is fucking nice, we need to unban gorlab so he can bless us up with sigs like those

[Image: 3.png]

04-16-2019, 05:07 PMligma Wrote: I've made it well known that I'm not at all a fan of the current grading scale to the GFX team, making it mandatory to have jersey changes to get a 9/10 on a signature or higher is a little obscene in my opinion, just because king had a boner for them doesn't mean that they are necessary to make good art.

to me, graphics grading should be primarily focused on rewarding users for techniques and creativity in their signatures, as well as what the final design looks like. if somebody is just starting out in photoshop or GIMP or what have you, bombing them with a 1/10 or a 3/10 doesn't do much to encourage them to continue with learning the program. If you make a solid effort and attempt to actually learn the program and incorporate different techniques into making your signatures (guys have reached out to me and I've helped them and that definitely gets noticed), then I think they should be rewarded.

sorry for the rant.

I think weekly submissions capped at 4 is reasonable, prevents people from dumping signatures they might have made for another league all at once. Plus, a user should never need more than 4 sig's worth of money per week so I think it's reasonable.
The mandatory jersey change is the dumbest thing imo

[Image: 34964_s.gif]
[Image: thd650h.png]
Affiliate of:
syndicate Steelhawks Whalers

There should definitely be some sort of reform. My feelings (which at one 2 months in, are still worthless) are that the graphic and written media should be comparable in skill to pay ratio and style. Unpopular opinion: I think the written media should be graded more critically, as opposed to softening the art scale. Karey, Wasty, Ace, et al. have worked to improve their craft to a level that looks undeniably good, and grows the community (a first gen on the site seeing a creative or cool signature does a lot more for the community than him/her scrolling through one thousand words of inside jokes). The media is one of the strengths of the website, and when churning out high word-count pieces is incentivized, we risk the media threads being filled with drivel. As the case is, i think the written media is very enjoyable and most pieces can at least be enjoyed by a few.

Balancing the written and visual arts is the most important, but lowering the standards for the most impressive part of the site should not be the means of achieving balance. That being said, I don't have a solution outside of suggesting that we change the written grading scale. example below. I don't like it and its very rough, but i think it puts the focus in the right area and makes the written portion more similar to the visual.
((word count * 100) + (grade scale)).
5/5=1M, 4/5=850K, 3/5=700, 2/5= 500K, 1/5= 250K, 0/5 = 0K
examples:
1528 word, poorly written ((1530*100) + ([1] 250,000)) = 403,000
300 word, well written ((300*100) + ([4 ]850,000)) = 880,000
I don't think this solution is the best, or very elegant, but I think its design will lead to better

In regards to jersey and logo swaps being necessary for a high score, I believe that these should remain necessary. The website thrives on creativity and uniqueness, and the jersey swap is what separates Gunnar Soderberg from William Nylander. A signature without a swap is just an NHL advertisement. It's also a great indicator of effort/talent/skill. There are a million touched up pictures of Tom Wilson in action poses, but only a handful of Mike Izzy's in a dragons uniform. When I grade, I'll look up the original picture and do a basic reverse image search to see how much of the image was edited and made original. If there is SHL insignia on the swap its a great tell of how much effort was made to make it your own, and not just "fill > content aware" over the Getty Images watermark.

sorry to ramble. I'm still getting used to the site.

- the cow guy

Player Page || Player Updates || Visual History

04-16-2019, 07:53 PMJulio Tokolosh Wrote: - the cow guy

no, you're cow man

[Image: NCQjJT2.png]
Berserkers     -       syndicate      -     Berserkers

04-16-2019, 05:07 PMligma Wrote: I've made it well known that I'm not at all a fan of the current grading scale to the GFX team, making it mandatory to have jersey changes to get a 9/10 on a signature or higher is a little obscene in my opinion, just because king had a boner for them doesn't mean that they are necessary to make good art.

to me, graphics grading should be primarily focused on rewarding users for techniques and creativity in their signatures, as well as what the final design looks like. if somebody is just starting out in photoshop or GIMP or what have you, bombing them with a 1/10 or a 3/10 doesn't do much to encourage them to continue with learning the program. If you make a solid effort and attempt to actually learn the program and incorporate different techniques into making your signatures (guys have reached out to me and I've helped them and that definitely gets noticed), then I think they should be rewarded.

sorry for the rant.

I think weekly submissions capped at 4 is reasonable, prevents people from dumping signatures they might have made for another league all at once. Plus, a user should never need more than 4 sig's worth of money per week so I think it's reasonable.

701 gave me 0/10 on my first and last two attempts at it. lol

[Image: SS19INy.jpg]

[Image: d9J5DHT.png]  [Image: 16PgOBm.png]