Create Account

Post draft with Nick Connolly
(This post was last modified: 04-17-2019, 03:36 PM by shutdown.)

2x draft media (500 words)

Anaheim Get Their Man Connolly 6th Overall

While surprising, it was not a complete shock that Anaheim GM Dangles selected left winger Nick Connolly sixth overall. Leading up to the draft, the American winger revealed that Anaheim had been one of a few teams that took him out for a steak dinner.

The Outlaws’ hole at left wing for the upcoming season had become deafening. It also made it fairly safe to assume that Anaheim would go off-board with the sixth overall pick in search of the best left winger available, even if there were higher ranked players. 

This is one of those gambles that will look awful if it does not go well, and will make the Outlaws look like geniuses if it pays off. The consensus with such a high pick is to simply draft the best player available, regardless of positional need. 

It will be a few seasons before the SMJHL world will have a better idea of how the first round of the S47 draft really went for Anaheim. As for Connolly, he is simply elated. Slated as a low second round pick in most mock drafts, Connolly could not be happier with the result.

“It’s not top 5, but it will do.” a jovial Connolly joked with a smirk.

“Honestly, I am ecstatic to be taken this high. I know the talent and work ethic I would bring to any team, so to see myself being rewarded for all the extra hours spent on the ice and in the film room…wow. Just a great feeling. I’m on cloud nine.”

Not only did he go first round, but he went to a team in one of his favorite U.S. states. The Massachusetts native and Boston College grad can’t help but feel giddy about his new landing spot.

“West coast, best coast.” Connolly replied. “There is just so much to do there. You have LA for nights out on the town after a big home W, some of the best ski resorts in Utah for off weekends, not to mention Las Vegas is close. I think that one’s self explanatory.”

An avid gambler, Connolly enjoys “betting on the ponies” as he likes to call it.

“Oh, yeah. Betting on the ponies is one of the most adrenaline pumping things you can do. Yeah, you can be in a tied game 7 going into over time, but have you ever watched a horse you had at 40-1 try to go wire to wire? Unreal.”

We inquired about the size of Connolly’s bets and all he would give us is, “I just cannot wait to get my rookie contract signed and paid. No. Really. I can’t wait. The loan sharks are at the door.”

And at that, we left the Connolly household and didn’t look back. Like Connolly’s bad habits, this pick was a gamble. One that Anaheim hopes works out a little better than betting on underdog horses at the track on borrowed money from the Irish mob.

[Image: xvPjYUR.png]
syndicate Outlaws Switzerland

04-17-2019, 03:36 PMshutdown Wrote: This is one of those gambles that will look awful if it does not go well, and will make the Outlaws look like geniuses if it pays off. The consensus with such a high pick is to simply draft the best player available, regardless of positional need. 

It won't look awful because it will go well Outlaws Outlaws

[Image: selm.gif]
[Image: sig.gif]

Quote:One that Anaheim hopes works out a little better than betting on underdog horses at the track on borrowed money from the Irish mob.

A mistake I've made 17 too many times.

Outlaws

[Image: NCQjJT2.png]
Berserkers     -       syndicate      -     Berserkers

04-17-2019, 03:46 PMJNH Wrote:
Quote:One that Anaheim hopes works out a little better than betting on underdog horses at the track on borrowed money from the Irish mob.

A mistake I've made 17 too many times.

Outlaws
Cheers

04-17-2019, 03:44 PMBDonini Wrote:
04-17-2019, 03:36 PMshutdown Wrote: This is one of those gambles that will look awful if it does not go well, and will make the Outlaws look like geniuses if it pays off. The consensus with such a high pick is to simply draft the best player available, regardless of positional need. 

It won't look awful because it will go well Outlaws Outlaws

Confidence is key!

We have a pretty good draft history, so you're gonna fit right in. Wink Outlaws

[Image: outlaws2.png]  [Image: switzerland2.png] [Image: monarchs.png]  Mathias Seger #15 | Player page | Update page [Image: outlaws2.png] [Image: switzerland2.png] [Image: monarchs.png]
[Image: Segi.gif] 
Sigs by Donini, RainDelay, Fever and OrbitingDeath