Create Account

The Nice Guy In The Room - Izem Abioye

A boisterous cheer rang out from the AIK-Frolunda meeting room, the climax of a party that had been boiling for the last hour.

The man of the hour, however, was silent. Certainly grinning ear to ear, but silent. As he embraced his teammates and his former coach, a sorrowful truth dawned on him

Izem Aboiye, the Nigerian native, could not phone home to his parents, for they had no phone to answer.

All throughout his junior career, Abioye, who shined in Eastern European leagues prior to being drafted 32nd overall by St. Louis in the SMJHL Draft, has emphasized smart defense and clean shutdown possession. In 2 years he served AIK on the blueline, he registered only 2 penalty minutes.
Those 2 minutes, a roughing minor on a hit executed awkwardly, was a story in itself. As his opponent, a Brynas IF forward who could not be identified, shakily got up from the hit, he was surprised to see a hand offer him a help up. Abioye, heading to the box, helped the young man up, prompting a formerly-hostile Brynas crowd to cheer for the unexpected and sportsmanlike gesture.

Of all the talk of his game, it is his sportsmanship and friendliness on and off the ice that makes him one of the characters of or game. I got to meet with Izem at the Scarecrows' Training Camp, and asked him a few questions over lunch at a nearby pub (Our tab was obviously his expense, he insisted).

I: So you are, as the records show, the first Nigerian to play amateur hockey in the SMJHL, how much does that mean to you and your folks?

Abioye: My parents have received news of my accomplishments later than you, but they support me from afar and I hope to have them here to watch my games someday. It means more to me to know that my community believes in me and I return the sentiment to them.

I: Less than an hour after your $3M dollar contract was announced, you sent a third of the money home, to help your community and your family. Any thoughts on that?

A: I always want to help my community, and I hope that the money helps the people less fortunate than me.

I: Your captains describe you as "an impossibly nice person to be around", any thoughts on that?

A: (laughing) I always strive to be the nice guy in the room, I guess it's going well so far!

The Scarecrows will have Abioye on their opening night roster. He promises the fans that he will steady the defense and help bring St. Louis another championship.

[Image: TRVzgUB.png]

GrizzliesGrizzliesGrizzliesMonarchsMonarchsMonarchsMonarchsMonarchsMonarchsMonarchs

shl-oldshl-oldshl-oldUsaUsaMonarchsMonarchs

Towel Scarecrows

Vadim Askerov Player Page
Vadim Askerov Update Thread

GO CROWS!!!!

Pass Forfeit (D) ● Player Profile
Kraken Rage Panthers

[Image: esilverm.gif]
Special thanks to Blitz, jhockey, and Ragnarr for the gorgeous sigs <3

[Image: DG0jZcS.png]