Create Account

SMJHL TPE Cap

Yes, this discussion again.

The TPE cap needs updating. I left the league 5 years ago and since then it’s increased from 325 to 350 (~1.077% increase) despite the TPE opportunities increasing at a much quicker rate. The cap is meant to keep 600+ TPE send downs from walking the league and to protect rookies but even with the current cap rookies still struggle to keep up, it’s normal they’re much worse. 

There’s absolutely no realism in the current system imo. More than half of the S47’s drafted in the 1st and 2nd rounds will be capped in a week or two if they aren’t already. That means most top 1st year send downs are on par with the top 3rd year send downs. Look at the CHL leagues, you’ll never see a situation where most 18 year olds are on par with most 20 year olds. It’s normal the 20 year olds are much further in their development. Obviously removing the cap would just mean the oldest send downs walking the league which is dumb but an incremental increase of the cap would not only add realism but give send downs something to work for and look forward to rather than just hoping that the sim chooses them to have a good season. It creates various stages of development and skill in the league without making it a situation where the younger players can’t keep up. Something like:

1st year: 350 TPE
2nd year: 400 TPE
3rd year: 450 TPE

Would bring the TPE cap more up to date with the reality of the league right now and would also add realism imo.

[Image: selm.gif]
[Image: sig.gif]

This makes a lot of sense to me to add realism to it. Having the cap tied to seasons in the J instead of a hard cap for all players would be cool. Also, the last two seasons I've only redistro'ed TPE so it would be cool to be able to tweak my player and see how it goes during the season with more TPE to allocate.

I do worry about rookie point totals regressing even more in relation though, I love it when new players do well and are excited about the SHL. With last season's super low point totals I would be mildly concerned they would all turn into Jimmy Slothfaces while higher capped players are scoring like Burrito Cantaloupie. But I also don't know the in's and out's of simonT.

[Image: 66818_s.gif]

RAISE THE CAP, RAISE THE CAP

[Image: x17WALp.png]||[Image: uNh8ZtE.png]
[Image: luff.png][Image: luff2.png][Image: luff.png]

This seems like a great idea... make the J more competitive and stop handicapping good player send downs from good SHL teams.

[Image: sdcore.gif]

Player Page [Image: berserkers.png] [Image: syndicate2.png]Update Page

[Image: sgu3vVP.png]
[Image: 9vq7IEu.png]

Alternative solution: limit the amount of seasons a player can spend in the SMJHL down to 3. The disparity of 4th year players at 450 tpe and new players entering the league at like what, 180 tpe at most, is huge. People are spending too much time in the smjhl as is. I don't think that should be encourage anymore than it already is.

[Image: cd6sM5U.gif]
arigato to everyone for the dope sigs <3

| Updates | Player Page |

(This post was last modified: 04-20-2019, 01:38 PM by O4L.)

My main problem with raising the cap is it kills rookie scoring/production even more when its already abysmal compared to what it used to be. Those first weeks on the site are crucial for keeping first gens interested. There is already very little upward progression for rookies in the SMJHL even if you stay active all year due to how filled to the brim the league is with send-downs.

Gonna re-post my expansion idea for creating a cap-less AHL like league for 2 + year send-downs to play. Right now send-downs find it boring to sit at a mandatory cap for 3 seasons with zero upward progression before grinding enough TPE to go up, and rookies have to limp through their first season and many actives struggle to even hit 10 points by seasons end due to a league that is overflowing with capped send-downs and this would fix both problems. Pretty sure that there's way more send-downs than there was the last time I proposed this so it's actually more viable now.

[Image: 57879_s.gif]
[Image: 37742_s.gif]
[Image: jov7Yk9.png]

"“HA HA! THIS GAME WILL NEVER END! I POSSESS THE SOUL OF EVERY GOALIE ON TEAM B!! CREW 4 LIFE!! SIGN WITH EDMONTON FOR THE CUP!!!” cackled Belial as he placed a Fedora on his head."
SMJHL Commisioner S17-S26
Calgary Dragons GM S14-S23

this discussion is always interesting because the majority of the league needs to figure out what kind of league they want the Juniors to be?

I personally view it as a league to get new people hooked on the concept of our main league. Because of this I would want to put the focus of the league on improving the situation for the rookies. If you wanna make it competitive or more real life like ( re: CHL) then yeah we would have to raise the cap overall because having different caps for different Players in terms of how long they have been send down will just create confusion and very likely some mistakes/problems.

So the main questions imo shouldn't be should we raise the cup but what function should the J have for our site?

[Image: KSelich.gif]
Thank you all for the amazing sigs & player cards
Germany Citadelles  Stampede [Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: Raptors.png][Image: gs89eGV.png] [Image: eE2UQZC.png] Stampede Citadelles Germany

3. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 5 (Maximilian Wachter, Alexis Metzler) at 16:25
5. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 6 (Steven Stamkos Jr., Brynjar Tusk) at 19:48
8. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 7 (Brynjar Tusk, Alexis Metzler) at 13:55
9. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 8 (Anton Fedorov, Mikelis Grundmanis) at 15:12
10. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 9 (Dickie Pecker) at 19:43 (Empty Net)

04-20-2019, 01:42 PMTomen Wrote: this discussion is always interesting because the majority of the league needs to figure out what kind of league they want the Juniors to be?

I personally view it as a league to get new people hooked on the concept of our main league. Because of this I would want to put the focus of the league on improving the situation for the rookies. If you wanna make it competitive or more real life like ( re: CHL) then yeah we would have to raise the cap overall because having different caps for different Players in terms of how long they have been send down  will just create confusion and very likely some mistakes/problems.

So the main questions imo shouldn't be should we raise the cup but what function should the J have for our site?

maybe rookies need their own league or tournament type thing for a year? Where they play other 180ish tpe players for the entire season and then the J is actually more competitive? Or having like an actual farm teams for SHL teams instead of playing against your teammates for 3 years?

[Image: x17WALp.png]||[Image: uNh8ZtE.png]
[Image: luff.png][Image: luff2.png][Image: luff.png]
(This post was last modified: 04-20-2019, 01:57 PM by BDonini.)

04-20-2019, 01:27 PMO4L Wrote: My main problem with raising the cap is it kills rookie scoring/production even more when its already abysmal compared to what it used to be. Those first weeks on the site are crucial for keeping first gens interested. There is already very little upward progression for rookies in the SMJHL even if you stay active all year due to how filled to the brim the league is with send-downs.

Gonna re-post my expansion idea for creating a cap-less AHL like league for 2 + year send-downs to play. Right now send-downs find it boring to sit at a mandatory cap for 3 seasons with zero upward progression before grinding enough TPE to go up, and rookies have to limp through their first season and many actives struggle to even hit 10 points by seasons end due to a league that is overflowing with capped send-downs and this would fix both problems. Pretty sure that there's way  more send-downs than there was the last time I proposed this so it's actually more viable now.

I actually really like the AHL-like expansion idea, especially if we’re keeping the same discord/teams. If there’s enough players to make something like this happen then it’s something worth talking about.

[Image: selm.gif]
[Image: sig.gif]

I agree something needs to change, I was very close to burning out cause there was no change in my player, even though I redistributed like crazy and bought the 12m build change.

I did not want to demand a call up just to see my player perform even worse with less ice time.

I also think it's a flewed idea that we need to spoil the true rookies with great numbers like it used to be. Neither the SMJHL or the SHL is the same league today, rookies does not fare as well even if you enter the SHL at 900+ TPE like I did.
If we sell the league with the expectation of everyone scoring points like crazy your in for a rough time once you get called up.

What I've heard many rookies really enjoying the rookie tournament thats being run from time to time. Maybe that slmething to expandan on?
Mid season rookie tournament?
Rookie west vs east tournament when playoffs are running?

I think there should be a way to change the cap without completely redoing the SMJHL as a league.

RETIRED

04-20-2019, 01:27 PMO4L Wrote: My main problem with raising the cap is it kills rookie scoring/production even more when its already abysmal compared to what it used to be. Those first weeks on the site are crucial for keeping first gens interested. There is already very little upward progression for rookies in the SMJHL even if you stay active all year due to how filled to the brim the league is with send-downs.

Gonna re-post my expansion idea for creating a cap-less AHL like league for 2 + year send-downs to play. Right now send-downs find it boring to sit at a mandatory cap for 3 seasons with zero upward progression before grinding enough TPE to go up, and rookies have to limp through their first season and many actives struggle to even hit 10 points by seasons end due to a league that is overflowing with capped send-downs and this would fix both problems. Pretty sure that there's way  more send-downs than there was the last time I proposed this so it's actually more viable now.

once again, ofer is correct in his analysis

[Image: NCQjJT2.png]
Berserkers     -       syndicate      -     Berserkers

This is a good fix for send downs but would dummy the rookies. Need a change on multiple levels.

Also i stand by my opinion that it's dumb that people get sent down for like 3/4 seasons. Shits wild.

04-20-2019, 02:22 PMJNH Wrote: This is a good fix for send downs but would dummy the rookies.  Need a change on multiple levels.  

Also i stand by my opinion that it's dumb that people get sent down for like 3/4 seasons.  Shits wild.

I think there's more glaring things that will keep away rookies. Like creating a goalie when the juniors is flooded with goalies, creating the wrong archtype and forced to stick with it. Joining a national team you don't mix with and such.

RETIRED

04-20-2019, 02:30 PMMayuu Wrote:
04-20-2019, 02:22 PMJNH Wrote: This is a good fix for send downs but would dummy the rookies.  Need a change on multiple levels.  

Also i stand by my opinion that it's dumb that people get sent down for like 3/4 seasons.  Shits wild.

I think there's more glaring things that will keep away rookies. Like creating a goalie when the juniors is flooded with goalies, creating the wrong archtype and forced to stick with it. Joining a national team you don't mix with and such.

There's definitely MORE glaring things but I don't think that's a reason to say that we should ignore the effect that this will have on rookies. It's not a "one or the other" situation, we can stop the crazy influx of goalies/help with archetypes and builds while also trying to ensure that they're not holding 4th line all season and notching 2 points.

Maybe i dont know the site enough but what if we also limit the amount of seasons a player can play in the pros. Like a 15 year career max as an example. So by diluting the pro talent aswell, making people have to retire. It forces teams to xall up their players that are capped in the juniors.

Also, by capping a players career, youll have people with less tpe in the pros. Most people hit like 1300 tpe and then they dominate no matter what. Im saying what if we make it so that you cant reach that? So you dilute both the pro and the junior level

[Image: Bruins10.gif]
Thanks to @enigmatic , @Ragnar and @sulovilen for the sexy Signature