Create Account

S46 SMJHL Knights Awards

2247 words, split 50/50 between @Nerio @goldenglutes

Knights Knights Knights Knights Knights Knights Knights Knights

Good evening everyone! Tonight is a special night, a night where we honor Knights who achieved greatness in the S46 SMJHL season and playoffs. Bobby Sharp and Guy Zheng both had the privilege to comment on their teammates this time around. Let's avoid extended formalities and roll out the red carpet for these fine players.

Here are the awards we're giving out this evening:

Jackson Rogers-Tanaka Award: Awarded the player who displays outstanding dedication to the team.
Erik Chisling Award: Awarded to the best defenseman.
Elias Armia Award: Awarded to the regular season MVP.
Miikka Granlund Award: Awarded to the player who displays the best leadership
Maxim Horvat Award: Awarded to the top rookie.
Saku Perhonen Award: Awarded to the most exciting player.
John McBride Award: Awarded to the playoff MVP.
Riko Muerto Award: Awarded to most under-rated player.
Jonathan Lundberg Award: Awarded to the player who most embodies what it means to be a Knight.

And without further ado...

The Jackson Rogers-Tanaka Award, awarded to the player who displays outstanding dedication to the team, goes to...

Gunnar Soderberg!

Nerio (Bobby Sharp) - "Soderberg's dedication to this team has been above and beyond, to say the least. Soderberg's work ethic impressed us vets during training camp, always the first one to take a lap and the last one out there too, even if it was just to pick up pucks (rookie life!). It didn't take long for everyone to take notice either. Day after day, week after week, Soderberg trained so hard. At first I wondered if it was too much, but now I just feel motivated to do the same to be honest. Even though it was Soderberg's first year, the commitment shown to the team was too strong to give this award to anyone else."

goldenglutes (Guy Zheng) - "Gunnar has been the most outstanding teammate we could've asked for. Everyone already knows he's the hardest worker in the league but it's his impact on the team that's truly remarkable. He comes into practice every day with a beaming smile, works his ass off, and encourages all of his teammates to do the same. He's also put in great effort towards giving our team exposure in his ongoing blog series -- I'm sure we've gained a fan or two just from his enthusiastic outlook on life as a Knight."

The Erik Chisling Award, awarded to the best defensemen, goes to...

Guy Zheng!

Nerio (Bobby Sharp) - "Our defense this year was the foundation of our success, and leading the way was Guy Zheng. His ability to transition from an offensive threat to a brick wall on D is unmatched. I'm honestly just glad I didn't have to play against him! I always looked forward to my time on the power play too, because I got to play on the blue line with this juggernaut. He routinely made me look good with those blue line passes after he baited one or two pkers his way. His ability to turn a bad situation in our own end to a sudden offensive opportunity on the other side of the ice is incredibly unique, truly one of the best in his position."

goldenglutes (Guy Zheng) - "I'm honoured to receive this award on a team with such a stacked defensive core. I think having a strong group of defensemen on the team really let us push each other to the next level, and I just happened to come out with the best stats. Overall, our defense this year has definitely been a team effort and I'm lucky to have been a part of it. Big shoutout to my linemate David Vent, too -- you've been the best partner I could've asked for.

The Elias Armia Award, awarded to the regular season MVP, goes to...

Vivian Leblanc!

Nerio (Bobby Sharp) - "Leblanc absolutely dominated in the crease this year for us. I can't even begin to explain the amount of confidence the team had every game knowing that we had a brick wall in net. Leblanc covered our asses game over game, period over period. Without Leblanc supporting us between the pipes our season would have been entirely different. Even in games where we were down, we felt like we could take chances to and try to win because we knew Leblanc would have our backs."

goldenglutes (Guy Zheng) - "Let me tell you, having a brick wall in net means that you can play a whole different game as a defenseman. I can't remember how many times I just jumped in with the rush without any hesitation knowing that if I made a mistake or we had a bad turnover, Leblanc was there to bail us out. She enables the whole team to play a more offensive game, and at the end of the day, that's what brought us our regular season success."

The Miikka Granlund Award, awarded to the player who displays the best leadership, goes to...

Bobby Sharp!

Nerio (Bobby Sharp) - "Incredibly humbled that I'd even be considered for such an award, let alone win it. Every season is a learning experience, and this season I realized how impactful you can be by supporting your teammates, through their success and through their struggles. We came up barely short last season but you bet that I'll do my best to get us over that hump next time!"

goldenglutes (Guy Zheng) - "It doesn't matter if there's no letter on your jersey, you can always still contribute in all the right ways. As for Bobby Sharp, he was the leader we needed in and out of the locker room when times were tough, and he did an incredible job of stepping up to the plate when our captains weren't up to the task. Bobby was always the voice of reason and moderation: he kept us in check and kept our heads in the game. I'm going to miss having his presence next season when I move up to New England, but I know the Knights are in great hands with him in the locker room."

The Maxim Horvat Award, awarded to the top rookie, goes to...

Alexander Andersson-Grande!

Nerio (Bobby Sharp) - "Andersson-Grande also dominated in the crease this year for us. It felt like anytime Andersson-Grande was backing us up, we couldn't lose, and for the most part we didn't. You always have a little doubt about a rookie, especially when you rely on a rookie to stand tall between the pipes, but boy were those notions completely dispelled for us. Within a few games we knew our net was solid, and it gave us all the confidence to go on an absolute tear. Letting your main goalie rest is always a good thing during these long seasons, especially when you can still win during it. Alex took it up a notch though by pushing Leblanc even to be better, who was of course up to the challenge. This goalie pairing had to be the best I've seen."

goldenglutes (Guy Zheng) - "Whenever a team loses a star goalie to the SHL, there's always a worry that there won't be anyone to fill their shoes. That's not the case for the Knights: Alexander is everything we dreamed of for Leblanc's successor, and his unshakeable play during the regular season surprised us all. He's the best rookie goalie I've ever seen, and he's an A+ teammate to go along with it. He's had a stellar season and the team is looking forward to years of stability with the confidence that Alex is there to bail us out each and every game."

The Saku Perhonen Award, awarded to the most exciting player, goes to...

Dick Clapper!

Nerio (Bobby Sharp) - "If we ever needed to be hyped up, Clapper was always there. Even if we had a few consecutive mundane practices, Clapper would pull out something to hype us all up. Those stories stay behind closed doors, though what he did on the ice when it mattered is key here. Every time he touched the puck, you'd see a dozen tired Knights on the bench elevate just a little bit, just to make sure we could witness Clapper's next Clap. From clutch game winning goals, to big hits, and that one time he scored on a 2 foot slapshot on a breakaway, Clapper's energy was constantly contagious."

goldenglutes (Guy Zheng) - "What can I say about Richard that hasn't already been said? Fuckin' every time Dick steps on the ice someone scores. Man's dirt fuckin' nasty man. He's electrifying in every sense of the word, and get ready for a show every time he touches the puck. He's here to clap bombs, respect moms, wheel, snipe, and fuckin' celly. I couldn't have asked for a better teammate to come with me to New England."

The John McBride Award, awarded to the playoff MVP, goes to...

Nolan Sawchuk!

Nerio (Bobby Sharp) - "Ever since I got picked up by the Knights, Sawchuk has been an absolute force. He's helped me shape my game into what it is today. Being on a line with him since my rookie season has been educational and absolutely awe inspiring. During the playoffs, Sawchuk definitely took it to another level. I remember early on when I was struggling, he helped me keep my head up, and just when I felt like we we're struggling he'd do something huge to uplift all of us. We got in a good grove after that, and he drove us all the way to the end. He was one of our the best player for us, game over game."

goldenglutes (Guy Zheng) - "The triplets were coming off a record-breaking season, and it's no secret that they started slow during this past regular season. However, once the playoffs started for us, Nolan was like a possessed man trying to prove his worth to the league. Game in and game out he was the glue that kept the team together -- whether it was a huge hit to get us all riled up, or his classic laser of a wrister right over the goalie's shoulder that got us all tapping our sticks and celebrating."

The Riko Muerto Award, awarded to the most under-rated player, goes to...

Barry "The Bird" Batsbak!

Nerio (Bobby Sharp) - "Batsbak's ability to make plays out of nothing is actually beautiful. I can't tell you how often I'm on the bench, catching my breath, when I see out of the corner of my eye one of those signature Berry moves that turns into an amazing chance. Sometimes it's his ability to support the puck in the offensive end that keeps the cycle going. Sometimes it's his defensive reads that gets the puck out of our own zone. Sometimes it's the subtle, smart passes that thread the needle during a breakout and result in a top notch chance. Barry is just always making smart moves, and if you get a chance to watch us you'll see how frequently he's an architect of our success."

goldenglutes (Guy Zheng) - "You'd be hard pressed to find a more fundamentally solid player in the J than Barry Batsbak. He's not flashy and he's a playmaker, so it makes sense that he doesn't get too much media coverage which is a shame. His season has definitely been overshadowed by his linemate Dick Clapper's, but Dick could not have put up those numbers without a reliable centre feeding him the puck on every goal. With Klaus being called up to the SHL, Batsbak is next in line for first line centre, and I hope he'll get a bit more love when he's in the spotlight because he definitely deserves it."

The Jonathan Lundberg Award, awarded to the player who most embodies what it means to be a Knight, goes to...

Gunnar Soderberg!

Nerio (Bobby Sharp) - "Soderberg has developed into such a special player, and more importantly such an important piece of our team. There is a certain way we approach our daily routine as a Kelowna Knight. We all care deeply about winning, working as hard as we can during practice and leaving it all out on the ice game over game. We make sacrifices for the greater good, whether it's blocking shots, taking a hit to make a pass, or lifting your teammates up when the score isn't going our way. We all battled hard this year, and Soderberg was definitely one of the hardest battlers we had out there. If any of us could obtain Knighthood from our time here, Soderberg would be my pick."

goldenglutes (Guy Zheng) - "When times are tough, we know we can all depend on Gunnar to cheer us on and keep us going. He's the heart and soul of the team, and whether it's being an incredibly encouraging and positive teammate or fighting his with all his will out on the ice, he's a role model through and through. The Knights are lucky to have him in the franchise for the next few seasons, and we can count on him bringing his infectious attitude game in and game out. It's too early to say since he's just had his rookie season, but I could definitely see his number up in the stands when he's done his time in the SMJHL. The cute dog pics are nice too."

Thanks to everyone for coming to honor these fine hockey players tonight! Go Knights!

Knights Knights Knights Knights Knights Knights Knights Knights

[Image: On57CfR.gif]
  Knights Usa Stampede Patriotes Inferno Argonauts Aurora Renegades Stampede   

Knights Knights Knights Knights Knights

[Image: glutes2.gif]
Signatures by Vulfzilla, Jepox, Jess, rum_ham, Ragnar, and myself
[Image: 9vAsr7c.png]
[Image: tkMQzhf.png] [Image: tdKmZA0.png]

What a bunch of beauties Knights

Thanks for the sig ragnar!
[Image: scholz.png]

pride Armada  Player Page || Update Page  Germany pride