Create Account

Halifax Gets Raided!
(This post was last modified: 04-24-2019, 06:26 AM by PenKnight.)

[Image: AzbTSGc.jpg]

(1115 Word Count)

Halifax and Hockey go together like Sugar and Spice. Only tonight, everything would not turn out so nice for the Raiders in the end. The arena was packed and it happened to be glow stick night as the Raider Nation was hyped up for another home game. Since the new investors and ownership of the Raiders came about a few years ago they have spared no expense. It almost looks like something out of a Hollywood Blockbuster compared to a Hockey Game but the younger generation seems to be eating it up lately. Who can argue with ticket sales as these are some of the most expensive tickets in the league. In the end the Fans make the true experience and they would not let us down on this Hockey Night In Canada episode. My tickets were at the end of the Militia Shoot Twice Goal as you can see from my own personal snap shot above. I did not wear my Montreal Gear as I didn't want to have to deal with some of the endless heckling that can occur in this arena. I would have to try to hold back my emotion as I was trying to stay objective taking notes.

As usual the game started slow for Montreal and very fast for the Raiders at home with this crowd behind them. Things got ugly at 5:08 in the first period and the Refs gave a minor penalty to Stolp Skottson for Roughing. He wasn't happy on his way to the box and ended up breaking his stick when he seen the Raiders own Matt Kholin score a beauty after two precise, quick passes from Jimmy Slothface and Joseph Laraque. This was Kholin's 3rd goal on the season and it fired up the crowd. The Montreal Militia ended up silencing the crowd for a few moments when they leveled the score at 17:09 as James Truong hit the twine with a wrist shot marking up his 3rd goal on the year. Marc Hagan got his 6th assist and Oliver Klozoff was credited his 3rd assist on the year as well. Just over two minutes later the crowd had something to cheer about while they enjoyed the pyrotechnics that went off. Go Raiders Go, was all I could hear as I noticed this was Troy Reynolds second goal on the year and he was assisted by Dominic Montgomer and Matt Kholin. They both earned their second assist of the year at 19:04 of the first. Giving up late goals is always a bummer but seeing that Montreal had 2 shots on net for the whole period they weren't complaining only being down 2 to 1. After the first period the Militia were 0 for 1 on the Power Play and the Raiders scored on their opportunity. Only two shots on net for the Militia and these wild fans had me worried I might witness a blow out.

The Second Period got kinda ugly and the Raiders found themselves in trouble with penalties playing a heavy game and losing some discipline. The worst of it came very late at 19:45 when Andrej Doskocil drew blood on a high sticking call causing a double minor penalty. Montreal was unable to convert in the 15 seconds left but was looking ahead at over 3 minutes left when they would return to the ice. No goals were scored for either team but the Militia did a bit better on the shot chart getting 9 for a total of 11 on the game. However they were being out shot and out hit. They would have to find their game in the third period and being on the Power Play to start could be key.

The Militia took over the game in the third period and you could feel a momentum shift. They couldn't score on the double minor power plays but they were getting shot after shot off. It felt like it might be a matter of time before they got one or two by goaltender Mike McKorsy who was basically standing on his head. Halifax got into some more penalty trouble and both teams got plenty of face washes in to the refs dismay. Halifax was able to go on the Power Play at 13:07 Jaguar Johnson or JJ was called for hooking. The Militia did a good job of not letting them in the zone and clearing the puck killing it off. The game was just about over but Reynolds for Halifax got called for hooking at 18:30. The Fans got louder but when Montreal pulled their goalie James Truong hammered one home and scored his 4th on the season assisted by Marc Hagan and Taylor Lights. Marc Hagan has just been on fire and this is his seventh assist on the year. It was nice to see Taylor Lights get on the board and get his first assist of the season. This goal took the air out of the crowd a bit but not enough.

4 on 4 overtime hockey is a controversial subject but it is what it is and for the most part the fans do not have a choice in these matters. The overtime period was basically all Halifax as they had 6 shots on net compared to Montreal's 1. Fortunately for the Militia the Raiders were unable to convert and we had to head to a Shoot Down or do they call that a Shoot Out!?

Montreal got to shoot first and Svensson's shot was stopped by McKorsy. The Raiders Slothface was next and he missed the net! Montreal Militias Man on Fire was next and he didn't disappoint with slipping the puck through the five hole. Matt Kholin's shot was stopped by Aleksi. The Commander of the Militia could of ended this dispute but his shot missed the net. Fortunately for Montreal Joseph Laraque also missed the net and the game ended in the score of 3 to 2 with the Militia coming out on top.

The Militia ended up wining after a slow start but it seems that without the help of all the power plays they may have gotten wiped out in this game. As of now the Militia are looking good with a record of 3 wins and 1 loss but analysts are pointing out that they have some leaks that need to be filled. Rookie, Zarley Zalapski had another safe game with 12 minutes of ice time. He had one shot and two hits but other than that he was once again irrelevant. When asked to do an interview he had no comment.