Create Account

Poll: Agree/Dissagree
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
SMJHL is a league for the first gen rookies
14.81%
44 14.81%
SMJHL is NOT a league for the first gen rookies
4.38%
13 4.38%
Rookie ice time should be prioritized
10.77%
32 10.77%
Rookie ice time should NOT be prioritized
8.08%
24 8.08%
350 TPE cap is to low
10.77%
32 10.77%
350 TPE cap is NOT to low
10.10%
30 10.10%
Competitiveness of the SMJHL should be the focus of the league
10.44%
31 10.44%
Competitiveness of the SMJHL should NOT be the focus of the league
10.10%
30 10.10%
Spending long time in the SMJHL is good
7.74%
23 7.74%
Spending long time in the SMJHL is bad
12.79%
38 12.79%
Total 297 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Purpose of the SMJHL League

04-24-2019, 01:47 PMgordieboom Wrote: I’d say. Fix the salary structure, ‘problem’ solved. A senddown should earn less then a player playing in the SHL, let’s say 25% of his contract. That will certainly push some players towards playing in the SHL.

That will help the SHL, but i think it is also important to have an active SMJHL...

It wont help against the recreates with massive bank accounts. People want to win the Four Star Cup and get a crack at triple gold club. 

I also made that same choice before this season. I want to win the cup, play top line minutes, but also stay one more year with the team that took me in first. I doubt cutting my salary would have stopped me from doing that.

[Image: Katth.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]
Barracuda Germany Scarecrows Knights

[Image: cgv4vCv.png] [Image: 95lCCDx.png] [Image: GATPRRX.png]
S50 Challenge Cup Finals Game 7
[Image: gNFVjT6.png]

04-24-2019, 03:26 PMKatth Wrote:
04-24-2019, 01:20 PM.bojo Wrote: My quick hits

Raise cap to 400. Tpe easier to get today than when cap was introduced. 50 more won't change too much.

Players should expect to stay down. But 4 seasons probably too much.

Ice time should be earned. It shouldn't feel boring or unjust to build your player to be worthy of first line.

If 50 TPE don't matter much, than why raise it?

Fair question!

SMJHL players are expected to stay down at least one season, giving them a little more to do I their updates

Our update scale has changed (twice I think) since the cap was first introduced. 50 more teps would normalize the difference in those scales.

Goalies on the other hand could be a little better when playing backup games in the shl and still play in the minors.

[Image: JbAlQ9E.png]

Let's try to put a bow in this topic.

[Image: CTANcUw.png]

Here's the poll results (i know the wording on some of these are bad, for that i'm sorry)

Many seem's to agree that the SMJHL is a league that's supposed to cater to the first gen rookies. It's pretty much what I expected, if you show a new game to someone you want the first level to hook the person to the game rather then giving them the hardest level immediately.

Rookie ice time seems to be a divided topic, and maybe that's because of my poor wording.
Most people in the thread seems to agree that a rookie that's active and working on their player deserves to move up the ranks if there's spots open, and that just because you are a rookie doesn't mean you automatically is gifted ice time over send downs.
A topic that springs up in this subject is inactive capped players and their role, I do feel there's more to touch on here.

The cap question seems to also be split, while some argue that the cap makes it easier for a rookie to make an impact (difference in a good 250 build compared to a 350 is not that huge) others argue that the scale and TPE earning rates have changed while the cap stayed the same.
Most people seem to be fine with banking TPE for some seasons and occupy themselves with other actives while waiting to unbank their TPE.

Competitiveness of the league is close in the polls but most replies seems to indicate that it's an important aspect of the league, comparing the competitive aspect to real life hockey and that's it's important to want to win as it builds a strong bond with the teams.

Most seem to agree both in the thread and in the poll that spending to many seasons in the SMJHL is not a good thing mainly due to the fact that the player is eating a roster spot and could already be effective on most SHL teams.
This looks to me to be less of an issue with the SMJHL and more with the situation in the SHL.

RETIRED

Quite surprised to see that a lot of topics are kind of close.

[Image: Katth.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]
Barracuda Germany Scarecrows Knights

[Image: cgv4vCv.png] [Image: 95lCCDx.png] [Image: GATPRRX.png]
S50 Challenge Cup Finals Game 7
[Image: gNFVjT6.png]

04-25-2019, 05:40 AMKatth Wrote: Quite surprised to see that a lot of topics are kind of close.

Yeah, the discussions has been quite one sided to be honest. Mostly people agreeing.
Maybe it's bad wording of the questions. I'm not sure.

RETIRED

Ultimately it's up to the player. This isn't real life. It's just a game and whatever people decide is the most fun for them is really all that matters.

If a player doesn't want to get called up? Tough shit for SHL GMs and likewise for SMJHL GMs if a player decides after 1 or 2 seasons that would prefer playing in the big league.

I don't put pressure one way or the other on my players. If they ask my advice I'll give it (why would you go up after one season to get absolutely battered by people with 5, 6 or 7 times your tpe) but ultimately the decision is in their hands, not that of either of their GMs.

[Image: 66624_s.gif]
[Image: 56096_s.gif]
Credit to Ml002, King, Wasty, Carpy, Bruins10, Rum_Ham, Turd Ferguson, Ragnar and Enigmatic for the sigs.
Forge Stampede Inferno Specters Wolfpack Platoon Armada Scarecrows Uk

Player page | Player updates
[Image: wMGKypg.png]

04-25-2019, 07:13 AMAcsolap Wrote: If a player doesn't want to get called up? Tough shit for SHL GMs

I mean.. I try to defer to my players' wishes, since this is of course a game, but ultimately the GM is in control of their contracted players when it comes to call-ups and send-downs. Of course, these are conversations I try to have during scouting, and/or a season ahead of time for a call-up. Luckily I've never had to deny anyone's request, but that's not to say I wouldn't if it was absolutely in the best interests of our team.

As far as my opinion on the SMJHL, I think it should be primarily focused on developing new players, and getting first gens acclimated to the ins and outs of the game. Player retention is a crucial aspect of the benefits the SMJHL provides us, and that requires a certain level of focus on recreates as well. If we tailor the whole experience to first gens, then we'll alienate recreates, most of whom seem to already hate the SMJHL to some degree. Getting a balanced experience has always been tricky in the SMJHL, and I know during my time as a GM there, the conversations were constantly about improving competitiveness, but it's clear in retrospect that the choices we GMs supported at the time seem to have done the opposite. With back-to-back cups for the Whalers (35/36) and two teams with 3 cups in a row (KEL 40/41/42 and STL 44/45/46), the level of parity has significantly decreased.

[Image: Grapehead.gif]
TY NOKA AND VALOR FOR THESE WORKS OF ART
Player Page | Update Page

Stars Battleborn Czechia

Am I the only one who doesn't particularly find adding points to attributes all that enticing? To me it has always been about bumping up my TPE numbers, regardless of them going into attributes or not.

Putting 10 points into skating isn't the drug that feeds me and being given another 50 TPE (or whatever) to work with while in juniors doesn't add to my experience.

Alonzo Garbanzo Final Tallies (Among Defensemen):
2nd in Goals (208), All-Time Assists Leader (765)*, All-Time Points Leader (973), 3rd in Hits (2587), All-Time Blocked Shots Leader (1882)*
*All-Time Leader Among All Skaters
Player Profile | Update Thread
[Image: IeEV7Iv.png]

Personally, I think too many people are making connections to real life, especially on the basis this is a "junior league".

The SMJHL is unlike the CHL or AHL because it is very much a combination of the two. New players, as well as plenty of SHL prospects all packed into one.

While I don't think I will be recreating, if I did I'd likely retire after my four seasons, as I've simply never had fun playing in the SHL.

The SMJHL has given more than anything else on the site, quite simply, so likewise I have a strong connection with it.

MWHazard Wrote:i'll playwith anyone
playing with my teammates is part of the intangibles I bring to the table
i play with them a lot.
they didn't like it at first
but after a while, it just felt normal
Justice,Sep 18 2016, 02:09 PM Wrote:4-0 and 0-4 aren't that different tbh
McJesus - Today at 10:38 PM Wrote:FIRE EGGY
HIRE ARTY
[Image: xuHy0EF.png]
[Image: Artermis.gif]

04-25-2019, 09:00 AMartermis Wrote: Personally, I think too many people are making connections to real life, especially on the basis this is a "junior league".

The SMJHL is unlike the CHL or AHL because it is very much a combination of the two. New players, as well as plenty of SHL prospects all packed into one.

While I don't think I will be recreating, if I did I'd likely retire after my four seasons, as I've simply never had fun playing in the SHL.

The SMJHL has given more than anything else on the site, quite simply, so likewise I have a strong connection with it.

the problem is it was grow in that role because the SHL was full! that is the reason for this status in moment! before S20 it was based as first gen/rookie league and to be a send down it was special. especially after the expansion with the today teams of New England and Texas!

[Image: McZehrl.png]

Challenge Cup Wins:
S18 - Riot Seattle Riot (with Chris McZehrl)*
S23 - Wolfpack New England Wolfpack (with Chris McZehrl)*
S27 - Dragons Calgary Dragons (with VLAD McZehrl)
S34 - Rage Manhattan Rage (with VLAD McZehrl)
S37 - Jets Winnipeg Jets (with VLAD McZehrl)
S46 - Stampede Buffalo Stampede (with GOD McZehrl)*

*first ever Challenge Cup of Franchise History

Four Star Cup Wins:
S24 - Whalers Vancouver Whalers (with VLAD McZehrl)
S39 - Scarecrows St. Louis Scarecrows (with GOD McZehrl)

SHL Hall of Fame Members:
S24 - Chris McZehrl Platoon Panthers Dragons Riot Wolfpack *
(GP: 764 | G: 322 | A: 461 | P: 783 | +/-: +109)
S40 - VLAD McZehrl Dragons Riot Rage Stampede Jets Wolfpack *
(GP: 653 | G: 333 | A: 361 | P: 694 | +/-: +141)

*1st Ballot Hall of Famer

small note: GOD McZehrl played at first as Defender and later as Forward!

For what it's worth, raising the cap doesn't make anything better for first gens. Just makes the climb longer. I asked @Darkened_Rose_16 if she was ready for today's sim and got told she'd rather just do the PT's and updates and not worry about the sim because she won't be anything other than 6-7 minute roster filler. While there are people who have been on the site, know how it works, and can help their SHL teams better than the inactives getting SHL time. I fully believe we lose a lot of people to this. I remember my first NWJHL experience rocking top pairing for the Whalers with @xDParK. It was amazing. This time around plugging 3rd pairing for the Armada for 2 seasons I hated it and couldn't wait to move up and get out of the SMJHL. I'm sorry but players should only be send down eligible if you're rocking actives in lines 1-3 at a minimum and possibly even all 4 lines.

[Image: mTgAyCs.png]