Create Account

backup games

increase from 15 to 18 games before rookie status is removed. goalies play 6 backup games a season. 6+6+6 = 18. so the 19th game would remove rookie status.

- goalie discord

[Image: JbAlQ9E.png]

/agree. Don't really see the harm in this change.

[Image: tomasnz.gif]

Player Page

Personally I think the idea of increasing the number of games in a season to 82 would be a good idea, and along with that you increase the number of games required for a backup to play each season.

I doubt that would happen because people don't to have stats from a while ago be harder to compare to current seasons, but SHL is going to keep growing (hopefully). Evenly distributed that's just above 3 games against each other team. 82 games increases that by 2 games per team.

[Image: doubtfulalpha.gif]
[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
[Image: sN8N4xa.png][Image: 639861613880541184.png] Cal Juice [Image: 639861613880541184.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] Tomas Zadina
[Image: snacnei.png] Brady McIntyre
[Image: ice-level.svg]

Great the goalies are unionizing

[Image: ml002.gif]
Credit to Copenhagen, Wasty, FlappyGiraffe, InciteHysteria, and caltroit_red_flames
 [Image: MM4nqx6.png] [Image: Niz2wua.png][Image: egAspOO.png] Knights
[Image: GZ9XvkA.png]

04-25-2019, 11:24 AMml002 Wrote: Great the goalies are unionizing

SHLGA

[Image: sN8N4xa.png][Image: 639861613880541184.png] Cal Juice [Image: 639861613880541184.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png]

04-25-2019, 11:24 AMcaltroit_red_flames Wrote: Personally I think the idea of increasing the number of games in a season to 82 would be a good idea, and along with that you increase the number of games required for a backup to play each season.

I doubt that would happen because people don't to have stats from a while ago be harder to compare to current seasons, but SHL is going to keep growing (hopefully). Evenly distributed that's just above 3 games against each other team. 82 games increases that by 2 games per team.

i mean... that's an interesting idea. I'm kinda trying to focus on the backup thing right now, but yeah that's still a neat idea.

[Image: JbAlQ9E.png]

04-25-2019, 11:28 AM.bojo Wrote:
04-25-2019, 11:24 AMcaltroit_red_flames Wrote: Personally I think the idea of increasing the number of games in a season to 82 would be a good idea, and along with that you increase the number of games required for a backup to play each season.

i mean... that's an interesting idea. I'm kinda trying to focus on the backup thing right now, but yeah that's still a neat idea.

Yep, I get that. You're not even really asking for a drastic change either so I'd be surprised if someone came up with a good reason to not do this.

(This post was last modified: 04-25-2019, 12:09 PM by O4L.)

Don't disagree with this, think we're definitely gonna have to increase GP at some point if we keep getting more active goalies signing up but doubt people would agree to 82.

Everything needs to be judged in the context of the era that they played, the NHL had a shorter season at one point as well. A lot of the players from the first 10-15 seasons already get shafted when compared to players from the current era because it's so much easier to have a super long career now than it was back then.

Think the rookie status change is a really good move as well.

[Image: 57879_s.gif]
[Image: 37742_s.gif]
[Image: jov7Yk9.png]

"“HA HA! THIS GAME WILL NEVER END! I POSSESS THE SOUL OF EVERY GOALIE ON TEAM B!! CREW 4 LIFE!! SIGN WITH EDMONTON FOR THE CUP!!!” cackled Belial as he placed a Fedora on his head."
SMJHL Commisioner S17-S26
Calgary Dragons GM S14-S23

82 games is being put out there literally only because the NHL does it, and the NHL does it because they love those admissions dollars.

What makes the sim better by expanding to 82 games?

Alonzo Garbanzo Final Tallies (Among Defensemen):
2nd in Goals (208), All-Time Assists Leader (765)*, All-Time Points Leader (973), 3rd in Hits (2587), All-Time Blocked Shots Leader (1882)*
*All-Time Leader Among All Skaters
Player Profile | Update Thread
[Image: IeEV7Iv.png]

04-25-2019, 12:08 PMArGarBarGar Wrote: 82 games is being put out there literally only because the NHL does it, and the NHL does it because they love those admissions dollars.

In my mind the only reason to expand to more games would be if we wanted to increase the never of teams in the league.

Player Page

04-25-2019, 12:10 PMTomasnz Wrote:
04-25-2019, 12:08 PMArGarBarGar Wrote: 82 games is being put out there literally only because the NHL does it, and the NHL does it because they love those admissions dollars.

In my mind the only reason to expand to more games would be if we wanted to increase the never of teams in the league.

@ArGarBarGar you're correct it's an arbitrary number, 100 would work as well. But what Tomasnz said is correct and the reason I bring up adding more games. Currently we play an average of 3 games against each team, which is pretty low in my opinion. If we expand in the future, and we should because our goal should always be to keep growing, then that number is just going to keep decreasing. Couple that with more goalies becoming active proportional to the number of teams in the league and we have to make the decision to either make being a backup a viable position for a semi active member by increasing the number backup games significantly (meaning the value of a starting goalie is decreased unless we also increase the number of games in general), or we just decide to keep backups as inactive members.

04-25-2019, 12:16 PMcaltroit_red_flames Wrote:
04-25-2019, 12:10 PMTomasnz Wrote: In my mind the only reason to expand to more games would be if we wanted to increase the never of teams in the league.

@ArGarBarGar you're correct it's an arbitrary number, 100 would work as well. But what Tomasnz said is correct and the reason I bring up adding more games. Currently we play an average of 3 games against each team, which is pretty low in my opinion. If we expand in the future, and we should because our goal should always be to keep growing, then that number is just going to keep decreasing. Couple that with more goalies becoming active proportional to the number of teams in the league and we have to make the decision to either make being a backup a viable position for a semi active member by increasing the number backup games significantly (meaning the value of a starting goalie is decreased unless we also increase the number of games in general), or we just decide to keep backups as inactive members.

I don't think teams play against the other conference as much as in their own.

And if this is the case (and it isn't a horrible argument) and people want to get more games in against the other teams, then I would recommend slowly increasing the number of games instead of just adding 32 because it matches the NHL.

2nd in Goals (208), All-Time Assists Leader (765)*, All-Time Points Leader (973), 3rd in Hits (2587), All-Time Blocked Shots Leader (1882)*

04-25-2019, 12:18 PMArGarBarGar Wrote:
04-25-2019, 12:16 PMcaltroit_red_flames Wrote: @ArGarBarGar you're correct it's an arbitrary number, 100 would work as well. But what Tomasnz said is correct and the reason I bring up adding more games. Currently we play an average of 3 games against each team, which is pretty low in my opinion. If we expand in the future, and we should because our goal should always be to keep growing, then that number is just going to keep decreasing. Couple that with more goalies becoming active proportional to the number of teams in the league and we have to make the decision to either make being a backup a viable position for a semi active member by increasing the number backup games significantly (meaning the value of a starting goalie is decreased unless we also increase the number of games in general), or we just decide to keep backups as inactive members.

I don't think teams play against the other conference as much as in their own.

And if this is the case (and it isn't a horrible argument) and people want to get more games in against the other teams, then I would recommend slowly increasing the number of games instead of just adding 32 because it matches the NHL.

I'd be on board for that. I don't know exactly how many games each team plays against each team wouldn't be hard to check previous seasons.

Not sure would amount per team added would be good, but adding games in increments when teams are added does make more sense.

(This post was last modified: 04-25-2019, 12:43 PM by Tomasnz.)

@caltroit_red_flames four in conference 2 out of conference and 6 in division

Player Page

Funny enough even if it was averaged out so each team played the other one the same number of times (give or take a game since it isn't a round number), it would still be more than the average for the NHL (3.33 compared to 2.82). If we added two more it would be 2.92, so still more than the NHL currently.