Create Account

S47 SMJHL PT 2 - Underneath the Equipment

Johnny interviews breakout rookie Stavros Halkias:

The cold morning frost gently coated the grass, and the Alaskan air was crisp and thin. I entered a dimly-lit condominium complex on the south side of Anchorage. On the 20th floor. Anchorage Armada top prospect Stavros Halkias greeted us. A hot whiff of air filled my lungs. Despite the uncomfortable heat, I was excited to interview the enigmatic 21 year old centre concerning his past statistics before entering the SMJHL.

Johnny the Interview Man: What’s with the heat man? It’s like 100 degrees in here.

Halkias: “We never could afford heat during the winters, so now I keep it on at all times” Halkias stoically said.

Stavros Halkias’ path to the SMJHL was to say the least, unorthodox. The British born Greek playmaker wasted little time once he discovered his one true talent – ice hockey. Born to the son of a Greek garbage man and a British raisin farmer, it certainly seemed as if ice hockey would be the last of the list of sports to pursue. That is, until he posted 50 goals and 77 assists in just 40 games to clinch Vance Washington High’s first title in their inaugural season.

Johnny the Interview Man: “So, tell me about your breakout season that got you recognized and signed by the Armada.”

Halkias: "The truth is, I played hockey since I was 3 years old - but nobody knew. In the winters, I'd skate on the large heap of frozen garbage juice that leaked from my father's truck. I'd shoot pucks at heaps of garbage until sundown."

Johnny the Interview Man: "Being such an elite athlete must garner some attention, or were things different in England?"

Halkias: “In high school, you got your nerds, your no-life cyber-nauts, your wimps, super nerds, zyber lame-o’s, your oatmeal raisin losers, failed goths, facebook commentators, zucker-nerds, lunchroom wanderers, kids with rashes, trash heap garbage kids, snot nosed idiots, badly dressed geektards, california raisins fans, and of course, the super-duper bad at sports weaklings - And guess what? I fit into all of those categories.. Except for one of course, the last one.”

Johnny the Interview Man: “So, it’s safe to say you had a difficult time prior to your talent was known?”

Halkias: “Ha, you could say that… I guess. Let’s just say, In the eyes of the social upper class at Vance Washington High School, I was the most undesirable person to step foot in the halls. The teachers, coaches, councillors, security, students, and even the disciplinary staff couldn’t hide their outright hatred for me” - Halkias wiped away the mist from his eyes -  “But in the Anchorage Armada locker room, I feel welcome. I feel right at home”.

[Image: Ymkkxva.jpg]

[img=0x0]https://sig.grumpybumpers.com/host/glswenson.gif[/img]

[img=0x0]https://sig.grumpybumpers.com/host/agentchadjohnson.gif[/img]

Puck Life recently did a twitter interview with the Anchorage Armada's Darnell Johnson (@thedarnjohnson).

Q: How are you settling in Anchorage so far?

DJ: Having sunset at like 10 at night is crazy. It's cold. I don't leave the apartment without looking like Ralphie's brother from a Christmas Story.

Q: So a lot more indoor hobbies?

DJ: Yeah, Gabe and I hang out a lot, play FIFA together or whatever. Actually a lot of the rookies like to hang out together, we tear up the team's group chat constantly.

Q: Other than your defensive partner, Gabe, is there any other player on the team you feel especially close to?

DJ: Olivier won the captain vote unanimously and it feels like for good reason. He's been around from day one helping me get settled in, helping everyone get settled in. He's a good dude. Plus he plays for Tampa, my home team, so that's awesome.

Q: If you had to guess, what would you say you're most known for in the locker room?

DJ: I do a hotly contested, much debated power ranking of the team's asses. Also I think I'm the jokester.

Q: Who's on top?

DJ: Cloutier. We call him the Asscaptain.

[Image: Screen_Shot_2020-07-07_at_12.29.58_PM.png]

Today I sat down with Gabe Johnson, the rookie defenceman of the Anchorage Armada, in order to find out more about what things are like for him off the ice.

So Gabe, how would you describe your locker room presence? Are you more shy, or more outgoing?

I'd say I'm a bit of both, really. I'm decently awkward, especially around strangers, but once I get going in a conversation I tend to just not shut up!

What kind of hobbies do you take part in outside the rink?

I'm huge into soccer. In the summer, when it isn't hockey season, I play in a recreational league back home in my neighbourhood. Obviously hockey is where my career is, but going back home to play another sport I love is something that's great for me. Obviously I've gotta focus on training and stuff during the off season, but it helps keep me in shape when there's no hockey going on!

Who's the funniest guy in the locker room at Anchorage?

I'm biased because we spend a lot of time together on and off the ice, but Darnell [Johnson]. I swear I can't take anything this guy says seriously because like half of what he says is some kind of joke. His comprehensive evaluation of all our [expletive]s is absolutely hysterical, and gained Olivier [Cloutier] a new nickname, [same expletive]captain.

This young Anchorage team has an incredible amount of rookies on it, you among them. How have all you guys all felt coming into the league, in your opinion?

I think it's been pretty good! The step up we've all had to take is huge, and I think we've all dealt with it alright. Darnell and I are developing very consistently playing together, although I feel he's been adjusting a lot better. Stavros [Halkias] came in as a total unknown from the UK who wasn't even drafted, and he took everyone by storm. He's a really committed guy who's always battling, and he'll be great down the line. Jonas [Larsen], Joe [Kerr], and Raphy [d'Alcott] are all quality wingers too who care a lot about their performance. Next year we're gonna lose a lot of players, unfortunately, but I think with the group of rookies we've got here we'll be in good hands.

Gabe clearly feels optimistic about the Armada in the future, and his words will be music to the ears of fans!

[Image: Gabe-lights.png]
[Image: nMz40Vc.gif]

The pride of Anchorage they beloved son Joe Kerr, who also might be considered to be best dressed player in Armada team, tweeted something strange after release of his men underwear line. As of a late afternoon of 5th May it came to an attention of local yellow press journal "Seal" that Kerr has tweeted '' It was my pleasure to watch y'all in those underpants, one of my dreams is coming true''

Later it came to the attention that European born hockey prodigy just had a poor choice of words. What he meant it to be is that hes very own underwear line is about to be released and they had first glimpse of countless pairs of them on a late Saturdays afternoon. 

The undies will be available for purchase online starting June, it has came to our attention as well that in our local mall there will be a new stand with potentially having these fashionable man boxers. 

Since the weather is quite unpleasant in Anchorage then journal manage to find out that there will be also a special warm line with electric warmers. Also average  price for a pair will be 57 bucks and for additional 3 you will get a signed Kerrs poster.

[Image: Kerr.png]
Armada Panthers
"Nobody cared who I was until I put on this jersey..."

EVO:
I have always described myself as an "What you see is what you get" type of guy, and what that ends up being is a stoic man willing to endure pain for glory. Maybe its because of my mum bringing me up as an Igbo man, you know, strong, hard working and resourceful.
Outside of Ice Hockey, I enjoy playing alot of football, and I mean actual Football, not American Football where you more of throw the ball than kick it. Sure, I was a small guy compared to who I faced, but it has its tricks, such as being agile and a general pest keep up with.
I also love my video games; to this day, I still stream myself playing either fighting games or first person shooter. I am also very competitive regarding games. Even though I play, live and breath ice hockey for a living, I still have plans to visit any gaming festivals going on. You know, the Dreamhacks, the EVOs and CEOs.
Finally, cause I almost forgot this, I am a competitor in any event I partake in. I put it on myself to win it all, even if I have a 5000/1 odd of beating my opponent. I will make that giant killing happen even if I have to move heaven and earth.
Yeah I think that a--

EVO's Mum (all the way from the kitchen):
DON'T LEAVE OUT THAT YOU LIKE THIS ANIME STUFF, WITH YOU WANTING TO GO TO JAPAN AND--

EVO:
MUM, WHY NOW, COME OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON

(Interview Recording End)

(262 words)

[Image: ProjectSaint.gif]
Sig Credit: Flappy (EVO) and Skolpaddor (RESO)

EMEKA VALENTINE-OKOLI/PLAYER

First SMJHL Goal: Colorado Raptors, Emeka Valentine-Okoli 1 (Mikelis Ozoliņš 4, Loki Odinsson 3) at 3:12, 2nd Period (GWG) / SMJHL S47 Game 47 Day 12: Colorado Raptors vs Detroit Falcons
First SHL Goal: Texas Renegades, Emeka Valentine-Okoli 1 (Josef Kubinec 5, Ricky Spanish 4) at 16:23, 2nd Period / SHL S51 Game 71 Day 16: Edmonton Blizzard vs Texas Renegades

Eternal RaptorsRaptors Old, onwards we roll Rage

And Let's Retire at the Pinnacle
(This post was last modified: 05-05-2019, 10:14 AM by Jesster.)

Sit down with Thorstorm

Christian Thorstorm, the leagues latest Swedish goalie prospect has found himself playing a lot more this season than anticipated. With that comes an even more urgent need to become assimilated into the North American culture. Christian not only has to conform and adjust to the SMJHL ice surface, he has to learn the culture and get a feel for where he now lives. We sat down with Thorstorm to get a feel for how he is handling these adjustments.

Interview What has been your biggest challenge?
I believe it has to be moving from my hometown. Thankfully I already speak English well enough to get by. My father was born in Sweden and played hockey for a long time there but he has had connections with the SHL. When I was in my mid teens he moved to become an assistant coach in Calgary, so this is not exactly my first time living in North America.

Interview Are you superstitious? Do you have a pre-game ritual?
As far as goalies go I’m pretty mild about it but I am a bit superstitious. If I am coming off a win or a good game I become cognitive of certain things I did and will replicate them. A lot of it is more learning my own body and how I react to the food I consume or the time of day I focus my training. Its actually become more science than superstition to learn what actually works for me. I find if I keep myself consistent, especially when I’m feeling my best I do a better job at maintaining that.

Code:
Words: 266

[Image: thejesster435.gif]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ryan Jesster - HoF Goalie (S1-S14)
Proud Calgary Dragon Alumni 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dragons | Sweden | Raptors