Create Account

Wikipedia thread in the history section
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2019, 12:17 AM by DeletedAtUserRequest.)

http://simulationhockey.com/showthread.php?tid=95951

So ive been looking over this weeks point task where everyone has begun creating there players wikipage and its been some great reading seeing how much people are putting into there players end to end story. It got me thinking.. why dont we have a wikipage section on this site under the history section where each person can go into the wikipage thread create there players wikipost and add edits/fill it out throughout there career. heres a way to access every players childhood story.. career in there own words, achievements and there trials/tribulations and controversies that went into there time as an SHL athlete.

When this point task is over, i was thinking of creating a template on the OP for a player to copy.. and then moving that thread to somewhere in the history section of the site and keep it as a running interactive thread for every member to add and modify about there player...(maybe a persons Wikipage link can be added below the drop downs next to the players profile, update page and twitter links)

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria

I've really enjoyed making my dude a wiki, and I've had even more fun reading some of the other ones.  If something like this became a real part of the site I would be stoked.

[Image: 66818_s.gif]

I agree with this idea. I know the NSFL has a wikipedia and its honestly a pretty cool idea. Really helps with the immersion

Alex Winters (retired)
Matej Winters (retired)
Dominik Winters
S45 Jesster Trophy Winner
Challenge Cup Winning Goal Club: S52

As you mentioned in the PT (that an SHL Wiki is something that is being discussed iirc) it is something that is one area of focus for the Historian Committee and will be developed.

[Image: Marius_buffalo.png]

08-24-2018, 01:08 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: Ah yes, the veteran meme player. A surefire bet for maybe 400 TPE Tongue
05-23-2020, 02:25 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: Scoop AINEC
[Image: Skree.gif] [Image: Skree.gif] [Image: Skree.gif]

[Image: Poppity.png]
^^^^^ Thank you JSSSSS
[Image: Poopity_Scoop_1.png]
^^^^Credits to Snussu^^^^

[Image: Scoop.png]

05-07-2019, 01:10 AM39alaska39 Wrote: I agree with this idea. I know the NSFL has a wikipedia and its honestly a pretty cool idea. Really helps with the immersion

Hi, I set that up.

It seems to be one of the more popular things we've done over there, and I'm pretty happy with how that's turned out.
It's easy enough to set up an instance of mediawiki if you have server space and access to a mysql database... nick a few templates from wikipedia, then create a few blank pages for people to fill in (or even a web form tbh if you have time).
Pay out at media scale, or do one-off PTs for TPE, and people will run with it.

Also has the side effect of creating more league jobs, which is a positive or a negative depending on perspective (I lean toward positive, gets more people invested in the league)
Only real downside imo is that people generally aren't very good at editing wiki articles. So I had to spend a lot of time creating a workable template (which people *still* mess up sometimes), and if you don't have people who are good with wiki stuff, it could get messy.

I'd still recommend it though.

UpdatesPlayer Page
The Journey

6,000 mile road#DidItForDildo1,700 miles more
A Silver Road

Drought Ender, Curse Breaker, Firebird

05-07-2019, 03:44 AMacademydropout Wrote:
05-07-2019, 01:10 AM39alaska39 Wrote: I agree with this idea. I know the NSFL has a wikipedia and its honestly a pretty cool idea. Really helps with the immersion

Hi, I set that up.

It seems to be one of the more popular things we've done over there, and I'm pretty happy with how that's turned out.
It's easy enough to set up an instance of mediawiki if you have server space and access to a mysql database... nick a few templates from wikipedia, then create a few blank pages for people to fill in (or even a web form tbh if you have time).
Pay out at media scale, or do one-off PTs for TPE, and people will run with it.

Also has the side effect of creating more league jobs, which is a positive or a negative depending on perspective (I lean toward positive, gets more people invested in the league)
Only real downside imo is that people generally aren't very good at editing wiki articles. So I had to spend a lot of time creating a workable template (which people *still* mess up sometimes), and if you don't have people who are good with wiki stuff, it could get messy.

I'd still recommend it though.

My only gripe with the NSFL wiki is that DT should get 0 credit for the creation of the Otters hahaha that guy did less than nothing to help me as co-GM. Otherwise, it's a sick idea, and I spent an hour or two on there even after having been inactive for so long. The SHL would really benefit from creating their own.

[Image: Grapehead.gif]
TY NOKA AND VALOR FOR THESE WORKS OF ART
Player Page | Update Page

Stars Battleborn Czechia
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2019, 09:29 PM by Blastmeaway.)

The NSFL has done a very very good job with their wiki. They have members who just have a list of stuff to work on they get paid by the amount of work thats done in the end. Additionally they have a "Special PT", HERE, that earns 10 tpe Per Player. This is only claimable once per career. This incentivizes users to create a detailed page, through use of their fill in the blank form that outputs the wiki code. Once the page has been created it has to be verified by the Head of that department, then the user can claim that TPE.

PLEASE TAKE A LOOK AT THE LINK, HERE IT IS AGAIN.

Shout out to ml002, schultzy, slashacm, tedward!
[Image: blastmeaway.gif]

[Image: f4IDm9I.jpg] I [Image: specterspp.png] I [Image: czechup.png] I [Image: gs89eGV.png] I [Image: f4IDm9I.jpg]
[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]

09-05-2018, 10:04 PMBeaver Wrote: Wow look what the PT affiliation has done to our pristine league.
12-19-2018, 12:31 AMBeaver Wrote: I personally blame the PT affiliation for handing out massive amounts of free TPE to all these players, inflating the TPE they're at when they get called up.
[Image: Capture21.PNG?width=400&height=90]
(This post was last modified: 05-08-2019, 06:57 AM by DeletedAtUserRequest.)

PBE and NSFL both have a real wiki section...pretty awesome! If  we can eventually add that it would be great!...but in the meantime by the end of this week we’re going to have 165 active members with large portions of their Wikipedia page completed.. the OP of the thread has a code for users to pick and choose what parts of there page to add....seems like we’re doing it right and it’s being done well...  worst case scenario is if we ever implement that, all a person has to do is copy and paste what they’ve done in the PT over.... and if we don’t implement it then we have a very cool new addition to our site ... so for now let’s just K.I.S.S and see where it goes.

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria

05-07-2019, 09:42 PMMike Izzy Wrote: worst case scenario is if we ever implement that, all a person has to do is copy and paste what they’ve done in the PT over
ehhh that depends on how much you want it to actually look like wikipedia.

this is what i was getting at with the "if you don't have people who are good with wiki stuff" and its why i made a template in googledocs

UpdatesPlayer Page
The Journey

6,000 mile road#DidItForDildo1,700 miles more
A Silver Road

Drought Ender, Curse Breaker, Firebird