Create Account

The SHL Trading Card Game
(This post was last modified: 05-13-2019, 03:56 PM by caltroit_red_flames.)

Render DB

Card Templates

FONT NAME IS Copperplate Gothic Bold

Want to contribute but don't have Photoshop? PM me!

Hi SHL,

I’d like to introduce an idea. A fully automated SHL Trading Card system!

Some of you may have an interest in hockey cards, we’d like to bring the fun and excitement of collecting cards to the SHL, along with the incentive of rewards for finishing card collections.

I have a very simple mockup here which you can download and run on a PC by unzipping it and opening /shl-trading-cards/markup/trading-cards.html in a web browser (firefox or chrome). To reiterate, it is a very simple mockup without any of the flash that the final product will have. Mockup zip file here.

With several improvements coming to the site in the near future, including a fully automated bank, the possibility for creating other automated systems going to be a possibility. This means we can create a real time, fully responsive card opening section on the SHL forums. No waiting for someone to randomly generate the pack for you, and hopefully a flashy user interface to make open packs an exciting process. Pack openings, bank withdrawals, player collection tracking, and collection rewards can be fully automated to keep this from becoming a difficult to maintain part of the site.

Personally I think it’s really cool to see my player on a hockey card. You can find a few of the cards that have already been made below. Before we can launch the trading card program we have to do a couple things.
  • Wait for Bojo to finish automatic banking - He’s been working on this for a bit and I believe he’s closer to the end than the start of the project.
  • Create a card for every current SHL player - This is going to be the big hurdle. There are a lot of SHLers out there right now, about 17 per team. But that means there are a lot of potential card makers too! If you’ve ever been in need of inspiration for graphics, this is your inspiration! Check the How to Contribute section below.
  • Finish the pack opening program - The mockup that I made to less than a day to create. The actual program will require bank integration, some exciting card animations and some additions to the database that we’re using for other SHL projects. Once Bojo finishes work on automatic banking we can get to work on this.

How to Contribute
1. Take a look at the list of players which need a card created for them in the render DB. Finished cards will have the to card's URL in the Current Card URL column (if a player already has a card made for them but you think you can improve on that card you’re free to give it shot)
2. If the player does not have a render listed we ask that you please ask the user for their preferred render before working on the card. If you'd like to help us fill out the rest of render DB with player renders the best way to do that is to ask people to fill out this form
3. Grab the team template for your chosen player from this link (both PNGs and PSDs are available). You’re free to add a signature logo to your card to show that you’re the create of it, we ask that you keep this logo black and white and confined to the upper righthand corner (as examples, Alaska is using an outline of Alaska while Esso is using... I think that’s grass on the Luke Thomason card?) MAKE SURE TO USE THE TEMPLATE, IT IS REQUIRED FOR ALL BASE CARDS.
4. Get to work on the card! Once you’ve finished it you can submit it by sending a PM to myself (@caltroit_red_flames) or @39alaska39. In the future we will have a forum for submissions
5. Submit your final product for grading to the graphics team. Whether or not your card is chosen be sure to get compensation for your efforts!

Example Cards

[Image: Cal_FOTL3.jpg][Image: Luke_Thomason.jpg][Image: Eggy_FOTL.jpg]

[Image: Aittokallio_FOTL.jpg][Image: Beaujeaux_Base.jpg][Image: Blast_FOTL2.jpg]

[Image: Jakub_Novak_FOTL.jpg][Image: Alex_Winters_FOTL.jpg]

We're starting with a base pack which will include cards for all current players in the SHL, but we have future goals for future packs as well, including:
  • A seasonal young guns pack (an idea for which you can find below in the form of Nicolaj Muller)
  • A seasonal all star team pack
  • A S50 anniversary legends pack
  • Create a card for every SHLer in history (personal goal of mine)
  • More to come!

[Image: Muller_Young_Guns3.jpg]

[Image: doubtfulalpha.gif]
[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
[Image: sN8N4xa.png][Image: 639861613880541184.png] Cal Juice [Image: 639861613880541184.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] Tomas Zadina
[Image: snacnei.png] Brady McIntyre
[Image: ice-level.svg]

Great work, love the concept!

asking for 1 connor blackwell card pls

[Image: g7VtVXX.png?1]

[Image: Z8YSDad.gif]

[Image: crutchfield.gif]

i had this idea for GOMHL so if it sucks blame me but what about allowing different card creators to have different templates to collect?

like u know how there's like upper deck / pee tree / other card makers ???

gives more collectables as well but also a lot of work for card makers. just food for thought

[Image: g7VtVXX.png?1]

[Image: Z8YSDad.gif]

[Image: crutchfield.gif]

Are we making these for a player's current team or for their SHL team? I don't mind doing all the current Outlaws just need to know which jersey I'm putting on them.

[Image: selm.gif]
[Image: sig.gif]

Ilike

[Image: outlaws2.png]  [Image: switzerland2.png] [Image: monarchs.png]  Mathias Seger #15 | Player page | Update page [Image: outlaws2.png] [Image: switzerland2.png] [Image: monarchs.png]
[Image: Segi.gif] 
Sigs by Donini, RainDelay, Fever and OrbitingDeath

Added the mockup zip file

[Image: sN8N4xa.png][Image: 639861613880541184.png] Cal Juice [Image: 639861613880541184.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png]

05-13-2019, 03:20 PMBDonini Wrote: Are we making these for a player's current team or for their SHL team? I don't mind doing all the current Outlaws just need to know which jersey I'm putting on them.

Current team for the template you're using but jersey swap you do is up to you. My guess is that most players would prefer their SHL team's jersey.

Excited to here you're going to be contributing, thank you!

05-13-2019, 03:18 PMligma Wrote: i had this idea for GOMHL so if it sucks blame me but what about allowing different card creators to have different templates to collect?

like u know how there's like upper deck / pee tree / other card makers ???

gives more collectables as well but also a lot of work for card makers. just food for thought

We're using card maker logos to add creator agency to each card (Alaska's Alaska outline, Esso's grass), but once we expand past the base cards we have a ton of ideas which include expanding beyond the regular templates. I personally like your idea

Niiiice

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

Yeet

Wolfpack LW - Rainbow Dash - Updates Wolfpack
[Image: zVOLkfl.png] [img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/eM6YKiW.gif[/img] [Image: zrRa4LD.png]
[Image: zmHxxsq.png] Rainbow Dash Fan S24-Present [Image: zmHxxsq.png]
Shl SHL Commissioner S34-S52 Shl
Wolfpack New England Wolfpack GM S30-S40 Wolfpack
Militia Montreal Milita Co-GM S26-S29 Militia

This seems really cool!

[Image: 66818_s.gif]

what's the font for the name?

[Image: owenm43.gif]
[Image: 9vAsr7c.png]

That's really awesome dude nice idea

[Image: S3zuZxo.png]
[Image: 10cjae8.png]

05-13-2019, 03:45 PMFlareon4043 Wrote: what's the font for the name?

Yikes, I have to ask Alaska this.