Create Account

Brief Recap of the S48 Draftees of Anchorage + New S48 Boats
(This post was last modified: 06-11-2019, 04:07 AM by Gwdjohnson.)

(X2 Draft Media)

The S48 SHL Draft saw 7 players from the Anchorage Armada selected, with 4 of them being forwards, 2 of them defencemen, and one being a goalie. I made this article prior to the draft, evaluating what the prospects provide, along with where and with approximately what picks I anticipated them being drafted with. Let's go through the selections, weighing up how accurate my predictions were, along with how much they fill a team need relative to the prospect pool of their draft team, and age of the players in their position. Now, from ascending order from lowest-selected to highest, let's look!

Note: For the prospect pool evaluation, I used Sami's excellent analysis article, where he looks at which teams have the deepest pools. Furthermore I used Luke's work on the depths of teams in the Great Lakes and SouthWest divisions, as well as an article from StadiumGambler on The Draft Needs of NorthWest Teams. They are the base for most of this article.

S48 SHL Draftees

Colt Beckett @GreyGooseVodka (G, selected 45th overall by   Chiefs )

My Prediction: Undrafted

Post-Draft Week TPE: 195

Player Overview: I actually didn't predict that Beckett would be drafted, due to his low activity, but the Armada backup was taken by the Chiefs with one of the last picks of the draft. In his rookie season, the German posted a 1-4-1 record, with a .868 save %, as well as a 3.86 goals against average. Not stellar stats, but a goalie will rarely step into the league and immediately produce stellar numbers. He will likely be the backup again this season for Anchorage, but will almost certainly play just 6 games again.

Fit into Draft Team: The Chiefs seem to have no need for a goalie, as Casimir Stevens (S46) will be headed for the big league soon, even with his lengthy suspension for next season. Sebastian Primeau (S39) also still has many years left in him, so in general Beckett seemed to be a pick made just because he's there and has some ability. As of now, I would consider it unlikely that he has an SHL future in Minnesota. Considering not many players were available at all, it's still a passable pick though.

Draft Pick Rating: D

Stavros Halkias @Bongo (C, selected 32nd overall by  Panthers )

My Prediction: Low 2nd round to High 3rd round[/b]

Post-Draft Week TPE: 251

Player Overview: SLAM DUNK BABYYYY. As I predicted, the burly Brit went in the late second round, to a rebuilding LAP team in need of prospects in their pipeline. Stavros had a great season for a rookie playing on the third line, notching 8 goals and 8 assists. Considering most of these points came in the early part of the season, it is yet to be seen if he can maintain this level of production next season, but he projects to be moved up to the second line next season with two wingers expected to break out, so the potential is there for him to do even better.

Fit into Draft Team: Unfortunately, Halkias joins a team that has loads of promising talent down the middle, notably everyone's favourite for best rookie next season, Borromini Cannellini. In Shaquille Derisraka (S44), Shouta Aizawa (S44), Kenji Yoshimura (S45), and Max Rockatansky (S46), the Panthers have many other promising center prospects, but it is always possible that Halkias could sneak past a some of them if he develops well. In general, by looking at other available options it seems like Halkias was definitely the best player available, and as such I would consider him a great pick for LAP.

Draft Pick Rating: B+

Darnell Johnson @frithjofr (D, selected 28th overall by  Specters )

My Prediction: Mid-to-Low 2nd round

Post-Draft Week TPE: 270

Player Overview: Another one right for me, because I mean 28th is about as "mid-to-low" as picks get. Johnson is a great pick at this point in the draft, after posting a great rookie season for the Armada. He put up 12 points, which is quite good for a veteran shutdown dman, even moreso for a rookie one. He lead Anchorage in hits this season, while also being 4th on the team in blocked shots. Next season, due to no ANC dmen getting the call-up from the J, he will likely play either on the 2nd line with his brother Gabriel, or on the 3rd pairing with Victor Toeman. He will likely see a lot more minutes next season regardless, though.

Fit into Draft Team: The Specters drafted three quality defensive prospects in Johnson, Zarley Zalapski and Lyle Odelein III, making competition heavy for Johnson, but with an aging D-core, space may very well open up for all three blueliners before too long. I would expect Darnell to be a regular member for NOLA down the line, making him a very solid pick in the late second round.

Draft Pick Rating: B+

Raphael d'Alcott @KenitohMenara (D, selected 26th overall by  Blizzard )

My Prediction: Low 1st Round to High 2nd Round

Post-Draft Week TPE: 299

Player Overview: This was one I got very wrong, although I am extremely surprised that I did. D'Alcott generated a lot of hype leading up to the draft, and there was a lot of talk about the potential of him sneaking into the first round, but in the end he slipped all the way to the Blizzard, who will hope that they landed a major steal. Last season, d'Alcott only had 6 points in 39 games for Anchorage, but he was one of their best performers when they were swept by Vancouver in the playoffs. Next season, he will play a very expanded role, likely on the second line with Halkias and Larsen, so much will be expected of the sniper who hopes to prove everyone wrong.

Fit into Draft Team:Edmonton has a decent pool of forward players, but many of their wingers are aging and will need replacing in the near-future. Boruvka Banananak and Julio Tokolosh (S47) are the two mainly promising wingers in the Blizzard pipeline, but there projects to be space for d'Alcott within a few seasons. This, combined with how far below projections he fell in the draft, makes d'Alcott look to be a fantastic acquisition for Edmonton.

Draft Pick Rating: A

Jonas Larsen @DaftRaincloud (D, selected 24th overall by  pride )

My Prediction: Low 2nd Round to High 3rd Round

Post-Draft Week TPE: 246

Player Overview: This was one I actually got wrong; Larsen went higher than I anticipated him going in my article. He had very positive talks with SFP management before the draft that saw them put their trust in him for their 24th overall pick, when there were arguably better players available. Last season, Larsen got 5 goals and 12 points in a season that was very respectable for an undrafted FA, and next season he will likely break out, as he projects to play in the top-six due to Eko van Otter being called up to the SHL by the Wolfpack.

Fit into Draft Team: Clearly there is some long-term potential in Larsen that the SFP GM has seen, but the Pride have no shortage of wing prospects at the moment. In Nathan Explosion (S46), Jaguar Johnson (S47), Filip Zadina (S47), Yoshimitsu McCloud (S46), and Griffith Cadwallader (S45), their pipeline is full of talent, although with Johnson and Cadwallader there are some question marks about their trajectories. However, down the line there projects to potentially be space for Larsen around the bottom-six forwards, as some of their wingers will start to be hit with regression. In general, though, I would consider the pick O.K., but Larsen and SFP are welcome to prove me wrong!

Draft Pick Rating: C+

Joe Kerr @Le_Kris (D, selected 17th overall by  Panthers )

My Prediction: High-to-Mid First Round

Post-Draft Week TPE: 327

Player Overview: Going into the draft, Kerr was a major wildcard and almost nobody knew where he would end up. I can be included in that, as I had him going 10th at the latest. Going into the draft as the second highest earner of the class, Kerr fell all the way to the Panthers in the second round at 17th. Last season he scored the second-most rookie points, notching 24 points in 50 games. Next season he projects to top that, as he will play on the top line with Olivier Cloutier and Spencer MacLean, and will likely be capped by the start of the season.

Fit into Draft Team: Kerr is in general just a great pickup in the second round despite his past issues, and has shown great drive to improving his game. Although the wing core of the Panthers is relatively young, space will definitely open up for Kerr before too long, and he can definitely project to break into the top-six of the Panthers forwards before too long if he keeps his developmental trajectory. Very solid second-rounder, who was almost unquestionably the best player available.

Draft Pick Rating: A

Gabriel Johnson @Gwdjohnson (D, selected 2nd overall by  Steelhawks )

My Prediction: "Guess you'll just have to find out day of lmao"

Post-Draft Week TPE: 324

Player Overview: My prediction on this one was also right, as people did, in fact, find out on the day of. Johnson was alright in his debut season, getting 2 goals and 11 assists, but many were surprised to see him go second to the Steelhawks. Johnson does have massive potential, though, and he asserted on Twitter that he would score an "easy" 35 or more points due to work on the offensive side of his game. Johnson will likely see a lot of time on the powerplay, and in general will see a large increase in game-time, so expect to see a lot from him next season. He projects to suit up either with his brother, Darnell, or Johnny Sins, who he meshed well with last season.

Fit into Draft Team: Johnson projects to be extremely important down the line for Hamilton, with there even being a chance he goes up as soon as S49. Anastasia O'Koivu and Nikolai Evans (S46) are both seen as key pieces of the future for the Steelhawks, but by the time Johnson goes up from the SMJHL, he may even have space to take a top-4 role. Hamilton, needed a defenceman for the future, and they sure got one.

Draft Pick Rating: A+ BAYBEEEEEEEEE

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

S49 Armada Rookies

Elijah Jones @torbvo ( LW,  Shl  )

Projected Start of Season TPE: 230-240

Player Overview: Jones, who returns to the Armada after spending the post-deadline S47 period in Anchorage, impressed their brass enough in his short stint to merit a selection at 6th overall. Jones only played one regular season game in S47, but in the playoffs he managed to score his first SMJHL goal, and will hope to bag far more this coming season. He projects to suit up on the third line this season, a line where he can learn a lot from veteran winger Brock Emmerton. The speedy Mexican sniper should be one of the better rookies in the J next season.

Jake Primeau @rangersbruinslightning ( C,  Canada  )

Projected Start of Season TPE: 210-220

Player Overview: A second round, 14th overall pick for the Armada, Primeau is, like Jones, a swift sniper with a bright future. Unlike the 6th overall pick, Primeau plays down the middle, filling a soon-to-be need for the Armada. For this coming season, it looks like he is likely to play with Jones and Emmerton on the third line, as the two forwards will have a lot of minutes to develop with. Primeau looks like a great second-rounder who projects to be a very important piece of Anchorage's future.

Frederik Jensen @FJTG ( D,  norway  )

Projected Start of Season TPE: 158-180 (Please not 158 c'mon man do ur shit)

Player Overview: If he comes active again he should be able to eclipse Victor Toeman for the 6D spot on the team. If he doesn't come active again, God save his soul.

Conclusion

BOATS FOR FOUR STAR ESSKETIT  Armada  Armada  Armada  Armada  Armada  Armada

Word Count: Around 2 300

[Image: Gabe-lights.png]
[Image: nMz40Vc.gif]

How about a warm Armada welcome for all draftees! Welcome aboard, boys! Armada

[Image: Screen_Shot_2020-07-07_at_12.29.58_PM.png]

WELCOME ABOARD FELLAS