Create Account

The Gambler's Ramble: S48 Entry Draft Team-By-Team Analysis
(This post was last modified: 06-11-2019, 02:41 AM by StadiumGambler.)

(Word count is 6055, plus 2x Draft Media Bonus.)

---

Alright, so after analyzing only half the league and seeing what each team had to offer, its time to look at the draft and breakdown, pick-by-pick, team-by-team, how I think they did. Once this article is completed, I can successfully complete my class change to Two Way Forward and get people off my back about how my build sucks.

As I did before with the roster analysis, I will be using EA NHL-styled ratings to give my opinion of each player in the draft, with a lot of outs and alternate predictions in brackets to cover my ass just in case. A lot of this is ambiguous and open to re-evaluation later, and obviously no one can know what makes the peons go frustratingly inactive at certain times. I'll do my best to give a measured, reasonable take, but I'm not liable if you're an SHL GM thinking "Sweet, I can trade for this guy and get an Elite player!" only to find out hes a locker room cancer or a low-motivation earner in stealth and no one knew about it.

If you are part of Toronto, apologies in advance, but I'm not always gonna pull punches or be nice to people if I sense somethings wrong. I've got no beef with you guys aside from the Voloshin callup, but even if they didn't do that I'd say the same stuff. Also got no beef with Hamilton. If you are a player and disagree heavily with my assessment of your talent, let me know how wrong I was in the replies below.

Wihtout anymore unnecessary talk, lets do some unnecessary talk, starting with the teams in..........

---

EASTERN CONFERENCE

---

Barracuda  - Tampa Bay Barracuda Picks:

1st: Kaspars Claude - Defense - Whalers
Projected Potential: [MED] Star

17th: Emiko Spector - Goalie - Falcons 
Projected Potential: [LOW] Starter ([LOW] Elite? [LOW] Star? [MED] Fringe Starter? [HIGH] Backup?)

Analysis: Claude was seen as the consensus number 1 pick by a lot of mocks and its easy to see why for the moment. Seems like an okay guy, got a job doing grading, active in media, theres clearly good upside and I hope I'm not swinging for the fences with my prediction here. Emiko Spector though? Thats a reach. Honestly I get why they made the goalie pick, because they felt they needed an eventual replacement for their boy in blue, Benjamin Blue. The issue is that Biz Nasty and Thorstrom were still on the board. Spector has upside and hes seemed like an okay guy in the Falcons locker room, but I feel they could have gone with the safer picks or just not taken a goalie and waited another year. The Barracuda should be fine even if Spector whiffs (assuming their end-run around the entire league in last year's draft harvest comes to fruition.), but I feel they could've done better here.

Also sorta surprised they didn't try to reach in the 4th round, but perhaps the flooded prospect pipeline left them in a bad cap spot? idk.

---

Wolfpack  - New England Wolfpack Picks:

6th: Piotr Horvat - Defense - Knights 
Projected Potential: [MED] Elite ([MED] Star? [HIGH] Top 4 D?)

22nd: Ravyn Tedisko - Winger - Militia 
Projected Potential: [LOW] Top 6 F ([LOW] Elite? [LOW] Top 9 F? [HIGH] Bottom 6 F?)

38th: Emeka Valentine-Okoli - Center - Raptors 
Projected Potential: [LOW] Top 6 F ([LOW] Top 9 F? [HIGH] Bottom 6 F?)

52nd: Duke Duckworth - Defense - raiders 
Projected Potential: [LOW] Top 6 D ([LOW] Top 4 D? [HIGH] 7th D?)

Analysis: I was a bit confused about the defense pick at first, as I was like "Wait, don't they have a dynamite young defense core on the rise led by Guy Zheng and Perry Morgan?" Yeah, turns out thats exactly what they have in the pipeline. Geza and Egger seems to be second/third pairing caliber guys, and Bathory's there on the short term in one of the more bizarre contracts I've seen, as he'll probably be heading back to the Panthers. Regardless, Horvat's a "safe" pick, as the site veteran whos been around, probably has a good reputation, and is a respectable earner that should be the 2nd/3rd best dman on the team in a decade or so, assuming everyone gets kept. New England's promise is more on the forward side of things, and they picked a couple longshot depth pieces to augment their rising core (I can vouch for EVO's character and I really hope he can make it as a top forward in the show). They will be a REALLY good team if the band stays and Boomhover and Clapper project, but its a few years off. Keep pushing though. You're close.

---

Platoon  - West Kendall Platoon Picks:

16th: Kasperi Braulin - Goalie - Whalers
Projected Potential: [LOW] Star ([LOW] Elite? [LOW] Starter? [MED] Fringe Starter? [HIGH] Backup?)

21st: Josef Novotny - Center - Knights 
Projected Potential: [LOW] Elite ([LOW] Top 6 F? [LOW] Top 9 F? [HIGH] Bottom 6 F?)

41st: Izem Abioye - Defense - Scarecrows 
Projected Potential: [LOW] Top 4 D ([LOW] Top 6 D? [HIGH] 7th D?)

Analysis: West Kendall crushed their window in fine style (although one has to wonder if the outcome of the Challenge Cup Finals would've be different had New Orleans not been puck lucked), so from here on out no moves they make (barring graituitous trade robbery or misdrafting) really matters. You got your rings guys! Smile!

However, if I were you guys, I'd take this next season to assess how things are going down in the league hierarchy, then start selling off pieces. I suspect all but the most desperate contenders will try to hold onto Reddit draft capital, so you might be able to work a few decent picks out of S49 or S51 by pawning off the Forsbergs and the Bennetts of the world. in the meantime, content yourself with a possible heir apparent to your aging star in Kasperi Braulin, and make a slightly risky tradeup for Josef Novotny, a guy whos flaked out twice on the site already. Perhaps third time's the charm? Also, you made a pretty good 3rd round pick in Izem Abioye that I like, he could serve you well as a depth piece down the pike if he sticks with it.

I would've thought Defense would be more justified for the 2nd round or even the 1st round pick, but maybe Chuck Crutchfield will achieve star potential with you guys given the connection mentioned on his signing post. Still, I'd look into another guy you can count as first pairing defense soon, as Ludwig Koch Schroder's fading fast.....

---

Rage  - Manhattan Rage Draft Picks:

55th: PASS - Defense - Raptors

Analysis: Manhattan is TOTALLY justified on just taking a pass on this entire draft. Poopity Scoop was a good return for the relative assets they gave up to get him, Thomason was certainly worth resigning (and I believe that was the condition fufilled to give San Fran their pick?), and this draft wouldn't do much better for them in the short term asset management game if they picked a guy then traded him later. They could've fired a 4th round arrow on a potential depth piece, but its probably better to just save the contract money for the deadline. With the East in a relatively weak state at the moment, nows the time for Manhattan to push to get to Buffalo's level, and I think they could justify trading away S49, S51, or even some Reddit draft capital at the deadline for that Top 6 forward who could represent the final piece of the Rage's championship puzzle. Defense is pretty well set up and at the very worst Crawfling is a passable goaltender. We'll revisit this one next year and see if things worked out for them, but barring puck luck Manhattan should be contenders.

(BTW, has Terrance Nova signed for anyone yet? He seems like he'd be a good fit here barring any LR beef I don't know of.)

---

Stampede  - Buffalo Stampede Draft Picks:

11th: Satoshi Zizagooney - Defense - Falcons
Projected Potential: [MED] Star

Analysis: Apparently Wozy's LR stint as a rental for the Stampede made a strong impression, as Buffalo rolled the dice and made a trade-up to beat Texas to the punch of drafting him. I'm not totally sure why he wasn't drafted earlier, given that he projects well based on Wozy's previous career (EDIT: supposedly there was some disguising shenangians of Zizagooney's potential to drop his draft stock to get to the team he wanted, but I'm not sure how much stock to put in those rumours). In fact he was a candidate for best defender in the draft in my book, so good on them for the pick. Buffalo's fine at this point since they're well setup for success in a weaker conference and have a raft of generational talents in the wings with guys like Cassius Darrow, Alexander Selich, and Monkey D. Luffy. The current core has quite a few guys in their prime, and the older players can be cycled out for their rising stars without missing a beat. Buffalo also has a full clip of draft capital to fire via trade over the next 4 seasons to fill any hole (I'm guessing its more likely they trade excess picks again to move up in drafts and try for quality over quantity like they did here). This team is SCARY good, and only puck luck, impending cap hell, and Cedric Robinson turning into an oil can will prevent them from having a dynasty.

On that note though Buffalo, better look into Robinson's replacement quickly, as grok appears to have gotten his client on the hit kids show "Where in the World are Cedric Robinson's Updates?" (I hear the show did well in the Florida suburban market.). He'll be a borderline starter for a few years more at minimum, but you don't want to miss this giant window due to .900 Sv% playoffs and then go through another 20 season drought.......

---

Stars  - Toronto North Stars Draft Picks:

10th: Mika Kandinsky - Center - Scarecrows 
Projected Potential: [LOW] Star ([LOW] Elite? [LOW] Top 6 F? [MED] Top 9 F?)

42nd: PASS - Forward - raiders

Analysis: I feel like this team is a UrinatingTree video come to life. Toronto just got rocked by one of the worst trades i've seen in anything in weeks, as they gave up a reddit 3rd for a rapidly declining 3rd pairing guy in Adam Kaiser, all to take a potshot at winning a Cup with an overmatched Harry Carpet or Michael McFadden in net and one forward line. Yes, you're in a weak conference, and Hamilton might sell off enough pieces for you to make the playoffs, but why on earth do you guys think that a 4th defenseman who would be 5th/6th on great teams was the one thing you were missing to put you over the top? I don't get this. If you feel the need to sell off picks for a better shot, why not try trade this first rounder you used or something similar to Minny for Ti-Guy Emond? Why not go after bigger depth pieces of teams that are clearly sinking and won't be winning any time soon instead of giving Joey K another bullet in the chamber? I think about half to two-thirds of that last reddit round 3 projects as acceptable SHL talent right now, and that could very well be the ratio again for the next reddit draft. I don't get this at all.

........At any rate, Toronto made a pick, and it was not that bad of a pick I guess? Mika might be an eventual media burnout and then that leaves Toronto in a bad position, but they may not have felt comfortable taking Zizagooney for asset management or trading the pick, so they took a good-looking forward on the board and hoped for the best. Mika might not help Toronto win now (which is more important to them if they're trading reddit 3rds for over-the-hill 3rd pairing caliber pieces), but they could've done far worse with the pick. Could've done far better than a pass with the 3rd rounder as there were a couple longshot depth pieces to take a chance on, but there might be cap issues down the line if Toronto wants to take on a big contract or 2 as part of an attempted push.

---

Steelhawks  - Hamilton Steelhawks Draft Picks:

2nd: Gabriel Johnson - Defense - Armada 
Projected Potential: [LOW] Star ([LOW] Elite? [LOW] Top 4 D? [MED] Top 6 D?)

34th: PASS - Goalie - Scarecrows 

Analysis: So Robert Phelps woke up one morning to find out that like half his supporting cast decided to retire and this is probably the last year the Steelhawks are able to contend, if at all. Rough day to say the least. This draft represents a crucial point in the history of Hamilton, as now they need to retool and figure out what the hell went wrong and how to avoid it next time, hoping that their elite future d-pairing of Nikolai Evans and Anastasia O'Koivu behind Manny Malholtra knockoff center Kalvins Zvejnieks will be enough to carry the future standard. Hamilton's response? Draft ok with the 2nd overall pick, then shit their pants and do nothing.

.....Wait, what?

I feel there were still some pieces on the board that could be ok depth for the team, and they just choose to pass in whats either a massive rebuild or massive final all-in gamble to get Phelps a Cup? I'm confused as hell. Even if they're banking on getting a few of their retiring members back in S49 and starting the rebuild then, why not package the 3rd rounder and something else for a depth piece, or trade the 3rd rounder for a future 3rd rounder if you're rebuilding? I'm sure at least Texas or New England might've taken that trade, given that they made Round 4 picks later.

At any rate, Gabriel Johnson was the lone pick for the Steehawks. He could eventually round out a Top 4 with the remainder of the Steelhawks D-core if he progresses well enough, but I'm not as certain on him as I am on Claude or Zizagooney, and I didn't get the mock hype guaranteeing him a Top 2 spot. Hopefully for the Steelhawks sake he ends up proving me wrong. Hamilton really needs to crush these next 2 drafts regardless, as thats going to determine whether the team is a contender or lolcow by about S56 or so.

---

syndicate  - Chicago Syndicate Draft Picks:

9th: Nick Connolly - Winger - Outlaws 
Projected Potential: [LOW] Star ([LOW] Elite? [LOW] Top 6 F? [MED] Top 9 F?)

48th: Freddie Sweeney - Center - raiders 
Projected Potential: [LOW] Top 9 F ([MED] Bottom 6 F? [HIGH] SHL Extra F?)

Analysis: If theres any team that confuses me more than LA, its Chicago. They got given the runaround big-time by New Orleans and the other 14 teams in the expansion draft, losing out on huge chunks of the potential talent pool due to connections, then made some weird trades down in drafts for added draft and other capital. The team would be setup up quite well for current success, if you could put the Smeb line in a time machine and age them 6 years closer to their prime. Theres a decent array of depth pieces that could be useful on a better team in contention (including Sami Owens, who they traded a Reddit pick for for some reason). I'm not sure what Chicago's gameplan is here, and I feel they should really be clearing out the accumulated rubble they inherited and figuring out a plan of who the Smebs, Jack Kennedy, and Cameron Carter are gonna be playing with in a few years.

Honestly Chicago could contend with a couple big trades and maybe an upgrade in goal, but realistically this team is a few years off as it stands right now. But with some clever trades (I hear Toronto will take a lightly used Romualds Loks or Fredrich Koenig for a Reddit 2nd Tongue ) they are in position for a push if Buffalo ever tapers off and Manhattan bricks it. The surprise playoff run could be clouding judgement though and making management think half-in half-out is the best course of action, which barring more PDO voodoo magic, it probably isn't........

Oh yeah, two players were drafted. Connolly's a decent get, I certainly remember hoping that we'd get him during the J draft, he'll project to be a solid player if he sticks with it, and hes done strong work so far. Freddie Sweeney's agent has had some great successes but a history of flaking out too, and he seems to be half-heartedly in it for the moment. Its not a bad late 3rd round gamble honestly, if he comes back fully he might add some locker room culture to the team if nothing else.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WESTERN CONFERENCE

---

Dragons  - Calgary Dragons Draft Picks:

15th: Atlas Rush - Winger - raiders 
Projected Potential: [MED] Elite ([MED] Star? [MED] Top 6 F? [MED] Top 9 F?)

31st: Alexander Thorstrom - Goalie - Raptors 
Projected Potential: [MED] Starter ([LOW] Elite? [LOW] Star? [MED] Fringe Starter?)

Analysis: Not much to say here, Calgary stayed the course, didn't make pre-draft deals, and just made two picks before bailing. I believe both guys have prior connections to the team in some manner with previous players, and these picks are pretty good value overall. I thought Calgary would do Defense first round as an extra safeguard in case their stars didn't pan out, but Dragons management decided to beef up the Forward core instead. Rush has had a couple players flake out before though, but maybe Calgary will keep him on the horse. Also expect Rush to be bugged about a build change soon. (I'm speaking from personal experience here Tongue )

Thorstrom could eventually replace Vilde but I'm a little leery personally of Thorstrom at the moment, as he fell behind a bit from the other goalies in the class and I was hoping for a bit more out of the Raptors 2nd overall pick. Theres also some rumoured breakthrough discoveries in the goalie meta that may render parts of his build useless. I'm sure Steelhead knows what hes doing though. We'll see how this turns out.

---

Jets  - Winnipeg Jets Draft Picks:

5th: Calogero Crudelli - Winger - Raptors 
Projected Potential: [MED] Star ([MED] Elite?)

37th: Tah Puhcheese - Winger - Knights 
Projected Potential: [LOW] Top 9 F? ([HIGH] Bottom 6 F? [LOW] Top 6 F?) 

53rd: Theo Haas - Goalie - Knights 
Projected Potential: [LOW] Fringe Starter ([MED] Backup? [HIGH] SHL Extra G? [LOW] Starter????)

69th: PASS - Defense - World
Projected Potential: [EXACT] Why didn't you release an IFA and draft my troll Enforcer Dman Flappy

Analysis: Jets didn't go Center like I thought, as perhaps the thought is we'll get one later. We seem to be fairly loaded at Wing, but for sheer value Crudelli was a solid pick, not to mention there were prior connections. The Jets have made their change in philsophy official as they signed Crossfit Jesus for a retirement year to pair with Visser and Manius on a deadly top line and start the road back to being contenders again. If the Jets were panicking and desperate for a Cup, I could see Crudelli and Jax Duggan dangled as tradebait at the deadline, but thats probably not going to happen.

Tah Puhcheese was also picked, but he seems a little extraneous with the awesome future Wing depth the Jets have. He could push out a fellow prospect later on though if he sticks with it, and could be a useful 3rd line forward in the future. Theo Haas was drafted as the 4th round arrow to potentially backup Vivian Leblanc in a few seasons, if his agent returns to the site.

And I, like the rest of you, am deeply disappointed that the Jets did not take anyone with their 69th overall pick.

---

Blizzard  - Edmonton Blizzard Draft Picks:

14th: Barrett Blackwood - Winger - Scarecrows 
Projected Potential: [LOW] Elite ([LOW] Star? [LOW] Top 6 F? [MED] Top 9 F?)

26th: Raphael d'Alcott - Winger - Armada 

27th: Biz Nasty - Goalie - raiders 
Projected Potential: [LOW] Star ([LOW] Elite? [MED] Starter?)

Analysis: Three very interesting picks for the Blizzard to be sure. Blackwood and d'Alcott are part of a potentially unexplored part of the draft meta, as they were post J-draft creates but pre-deadline creates. I have a theory that those guys can stay more committed in the short term as opposed to pre-draft creates that might flake out early if they're hanging around waiting to be drafted, and since they want to keep up with their fellow prospects and get ice time to help their teams, they hit the ground running. If Blackwood and d'Alcott stick with it they've got some potential to shore up the Blizzard forward core as the previous talent cycles out. I actually have slightly more faith in d'Alcott than Blackwood but both are okay picks. It will be interesting to see how they develop, and who the Blizzard will round up in future drafts as their defensive support for Karlstabe Scholz.

(Also worth noting that d'Alcott and James Truong are the official return for Halfdan Thorstein, and boy thats a trade the Blizzard could sure win hard.)

Biz Nasty was also picked. At minimum he'll be less of a hot mess than backup Mark Stewart at least. Whether he'll replace Tommy Tuck and have a comparable career is unclear, but it seems like a good choice from Edmonton. Nasty's previous guy was adequate but retired sorta quickly after getting his ring, so it'll be interesting to see his ceiling and long-term commitment to the Blizzard with this guy.

Edmonton may have had one of the best drafts of any team here, and they did it while trading down and not getting a pick in this year's draft for doing so. Interesting.

---

Chiefs  - Minnesota Chiefs Draft Picks:

19th: Noah Tedla - Defense - Outlaws
Projected Potential: [LOW] Elite ([LOW] Star? [LOW] Top 4 D? [MED] Top 6 D?)

23rd: Jon Forty-One - Center - Whalers 

30th: Jaako Jarvinen - Defense - raiders
Projected Potential: [LOW] Top 4 D ([LOW] Elite? [LOW] Top 6 D? [HIGH] 7th D?)

35th: Gordon Bombay - Center -  Lions
Projected Potential: [HIGH] SHL Extra F ([MED] Bottom 6 F? [LOW] Top 9 F??? [LOW] Top 6 F?????)

45th: Colt Beckett - Goalie - Armada
Projected Potential: [HIGH] SHL Extra G ([MED] Backup? [LOW] Fringe Starter????)

46th: Chuck Goody III - Center - Outlaws 
Projected Potential: [HIGH] SHL Extra F ([MED] Bottom 6 F????? [LOW] Top 9 F????????)

Analysis: And so the Long Night begins for Minnesota. Thankfully, HO eased up (slightly) on the still-ridiculous punishment the Chiefs recieved and so the team won't be totally at sea here for the next couple drafts. As it is this draft was.........ok? Maybe? A few of these picks seem weird and risky, but if everyone pans out it'll work good for Minny. Noah Tedla was probably taken because the chiefs worried about media burnout or media blowback from taking Zarley Zalapski. Jon Forty-One is someone I've heard good things about as a locker room presence, and if he sticks with it he could be a better pick than Tedla actually. Jaakinen's got some upside if he sticks around long-term as well.

Going down the list we get to the longshots, and these ones are questionable. Bombay might be a good pick, but thats if he comes back, and thats a pretty big if. Valentine-Okoli, Richard rocket, and Izem Abioye probably will amount to better than him. Colt Beckett and Chuck Goody has at least a bit of prior history on the site, but Duke Duckworth and Freddie Sweeney may have been better longshots. Beckett in particular is pretty egregious, as its unlikely he'll be better than Casimir Stevens as a backup for anything except cap purposes. Surprised Goody didn't fall to the Dragons, but then they may not have taken him.

I don't know if these are the picks to lead Minny out of the darkness, so we'll revisit this case once the Reddit draft comes around. I'm hoping Minny gets a good return out of Ti-Guy Emond when they deal him, he should represent good value on the open market for a contender, and we'll see if anything happens with Bobby Watson as well........

---

Specters  - New Orleans Specters Draft Picks:

8th: Lyle Odelein III - Defense - Scarecrows 
Projected Potential: [LOW] Star ([LOW] Elite? [LOW] Top 4 D? [MED] Top 6 D?)

20th: Zarley Zalapski - Defense - Militia 
Projected Potential: [LOW] Star ([LOW] Elite? [LOW] Top 4 D? [MED] Top 6 D? [HIGH] 7th D?)

28th: Darnell Johnson - Defense - Armada 
Projected Potential: [LOW] Elite ([LOW] Top 4 D? [MED] Top 6 D?)

44th: Travis Bitties - Winger - Falcons 
Projected Potential: [HIGH] SHL Extra F ([LOW] Bottom 6 F???? [LOW] Top 9 F????? [LOW] Top 6 F????????????)

Analysis: Its actually sickening how the Specters managed to have a better draft than quite a few teams when they're supposed to be in contending mode. I'm still not sure why they wouldn't go hunting on the open market for better dmen and win now, yet instead, they traded up for better draft positioning, and also managed to swindle Toronto something fierce in a swap for Adam Kaiser (I'm assuming Joey K has a magnificent plan to fill this hole on D now because of course he does.). I can't help but wonder though that if they lose to Texas or Buffalo again, will we start to hear questions being asked over the strategy of the Specters fornt office, and will they be forced to deal for someone like Ti-Guy Emond (I feel like I've mentioned his name a dozen times now and I'm now getting the weird feeling nothing will happen and he won't be dealt until he walks in FA. Thats just how this works isn't it.). The specters really should shift to a win now strategy, because if they bow it with this absolutely ridiculous Top 6 forward core theres no living it down even if they win with the next batch of talent.

On the other hand, if New Orleans wins this season despite the questionable blueline depth, Joey K will look like a genius because winning justifies everything. And in this draft, they did try to address the blueline needs that will plague this team in future, although all these players are a season or two away from being helpful on the 3rd pairing. Lyle Odelein was a good trade-up, I rate him about the same as Gabriel Johnson, so good pick there, and we'll see if history puts him above Satoshi Zizagooney.

Zarley Zalapski is gonna be the big pick of this draft, similar to Borromini Cannellini, albeit very, very different. With Cannellini, its a matter of whether the Panthers get something good out of him, be it the trade return if he decides to leave as rumoured, or the overall production that comes if he sticks around for the Panthers and leads the team to glory. Or if LAP is lucky, it'll be both. (and BTW, I will go on record and say NO's aggressive attitude should've led to them picking Cannellini and taking this exact gamble, even if Slothface does work out for them.)

With Zalapski, this could easily be the best pick in the draft, and just as easily a total dud. Zalapski's agent has the biggest fortune in the class amongst the first-timers (and probably better than a lot of veterans), and the most ammo to fire for training and maxing his dude. But if he burns out, then its a potential loss of a player taken behind him such as a Raphael d'Alcott or Jon Forty-One. I'm personally not sure which way that coin is gonna fall, but its a big toss to be sure by NO's management, and it was probably the right time to take him to, as I doubt he would've fallen to 28.

Darnell Johnson is someone who could be good if he applies himself, but I am greatly concerned about those strengths and weaknesses, and from an earning standpoint I don't think he'll get the 12 million necessary to clean up that mess. I feel its actually more likely he'll be bottom pairing filler, but lets be optimistic here. He did do the Post Game stuff at least.

New Orleans then stepped up and took a spin on the wheel of Travis Bitties. New England GM Ace does NOT like that. Nonetheless, its a pick that probably won't amount to anything as I'm not sure he'll be coaxed back unless NOLA works their connections. He'll probably be an SMJHL legend for Detroit and then roster filler in the show.

---

Renegades  - Texas Renegades Draft Picks:

13th: Padraig Sarantez - Defense - Militia 
Projected Potential: [MED] Star ([MED] Elite?)

28th: Patrick Niederrieter - Goalie - Outlaws 
Projected Potential: [LOW] Elite ([LOW] Starter? [MED] Fringe Starter?)

33rd: Haley Knight - Defense - raiders 

61st: Cuthbert Coppercorn - Winger - raiders 
Projected Potential: [HIGH] SHL Extra F

Analysis: Texas was another candidate for first round pick tradeage, but held on to it to take Padraig Sarantez. Now, far be it from me to doubt the potential of a man who was in the hall of fame with his prior guy, but theres a bit of a smarmy vibe from the guys media pieces, and I hope Texas hasn't hit upon a cause for locker room strife. I'm getting a few bad vibes. But maybe I'm wrong and Sarantez will justify his pick with some strong play for the Renegades.

Patrick Niderreiter, the forgotten man of sorts amongst the goalie class, was picked in the 2nd round. Despite my qualms over Thorstrom, I do wonder if Thorstrom would've been the better pick here, but perhaps Thorstrom to Calgary was always goign to be a thing and the Renegades just shrugged and went to the next goalie on the board. Also, I thought Texas could wait on the goalie replacement anyways, but they may not have felt like Jaako Jarvinen or taking Haley Knight early. Points to ponder. At least they get a stronger outing in their backup games, and that could be the difference in the regular season race.

Haley Knight seems like a decent pick, but I think I might be a little generous with a Low Elite grading. I'll give her the benefit of the doubt.

Finally, Cuthbert Coppercorn was taken for reasons that are not at all clear to me. Meming? Roster Filler? Who knows. I'm doubtful he comes back to improve, so this ones a wash. Should've spent it on Mikelis Ozolins IMO.

---

pride  - San Francisco Pride Draft Picks:

7th: Timmo Kyllonen - Center - raiders 
Projected Potential: [LOW] Star ([LOW] Elite? [LOW] Top 6 F? [MED] Top 9 F?)

12th: Bobby Bobcalf - Winger - Whalers 

24th: Jonas Larsen - Winger - Armada
Projected Potential: [LOW] Elite ([LOW] Star? [MED] Top 6 F? [MED] Top 9 F?)

40th: Richard Rocket - Center - Raptors 
Projected Potential: [LOW] Top 6 F ([LOW] Top 9 F? [HIGH] Bottom 6 F? [LOW] Elite????)

Analysis: Not much to say here. San Fran are in a decent position and cemented it by making an astute move down in this draft with New Orleans, gaining Reddit draft capital later on in exchange. Three pretty good picks were made with their overall haul in the first 2 rounds, and if 2 hit they've done well. They also made a decent 3rd round stab at a player in Richard Rocket, whos a good LR guy and could do well over there if he sticks with it. If the Pride get the forward harvest in on time to help Showstopper Jack Tanner, they could be contenders.

Worth noting that Timmo Kyllonen is always gonna have his career linked to Luke Thomason, as I believe he was part of the return in exchange for the franchise forward. This isn't exactly being the return for Erik Karlsson, but thats not a great link to have nonetheless........

---

Panthers  - Los Angeles Panthers Picks:

4th: Oliver Cleary - Defense - Falcons 
Projected Potential: [LOW] Star ([LOW] Elite? [MED] Top 4 D? [HIGH] Top 6 D?)

17th: Joe Kerr - Winger - Armada 
Projected Potential: [LOW] Top 6 F ([LOW] Elite? [MED] Top 9 F? [HIGH] Bottom 6 F?)

25th: Simon Leblanc - Defense - Knights 

32nd: Stavros Halkias - Center - Armada 
Projected Potential: [LOW] Top 6 F ([LOW] Elite? [MED] Top 9 F?)

36th: Heikki Jaakola - Winger - Militia 
Projected Potential: [LOW] Top 6 F ([MED] Top 9 F?)

Analysis: I'm finally done, thank God! We'll wrap things up with a team thats an enigma wrapped in a riddle wrapped in a mystery with the Los Angeles Panthers. They attempted to address their defense weakness, but I'm not sold on Oliver Cleary, given the draft saga and shenanigans that went on with him at the J. It seems he was wanting out because he wasn't drafted in the first round, ultimately bailing to Detroit for a reddit 4th, Now hes rumoured to be a true rookie callup right out of the gate, and I'm sure the Skree Skree Gang is thrilled about that. Cleary has had several players flake out before on the site too, adding to my apprehension. Perhaps being on the main roster right away and getting all the time in the world to improve and grow on a rebuilding team might be what he needs to stick around and achieve maximum potential, but I'm skeptical here. I didn't just want to go High-Top 6 D right out the gate though, because again, maybe the callup and the chance to shine on a rebuilding team will get him to stick around. And he has been fairly active in media and has mucho dinero saved up from prior players. If he pans out its a great pick.

I'm even more leery on Joe Kerr, who has had a guy flake out in the past as well and hasn't set himself up to build off a strong start. He could chug along to useful core forward status, but im wondering if its more likely he gone after a couple seasons into the checking line ranks.

Simon Leblanc is an okay get, might progress into a decent defenseman with some upside, and Halikas and Jaakola round out the longershot portion with some ok potential if they stick with it and stay active. Not a bad draft for the Panthers, but one with a lot of potential for things to go topsy-turvy, which could be bad as they made a number of trades clearing out various depth to get these picks. If everyone hits LA will do alright, but the ball is still spinning around the roulette wheel for the bigger gamble of Borromini Cannellini.........

---

And finally my draft coverage this season comes to an end. I now have ownership of my soul back from StamkosFan and Toedragon. The SHL Gods show no mercy. Amen.

[Image: 0K3YdqN.png]

Agent of Nick Brain: Center/Right Winger - Winnipeg Aurora
Agent of John Torrance: Advisor to the General Manager - Winnipeg Aurora
Agent of Anatoli Terrorov: Head Coach - Colorado Raptors

Nick Brain Player Profile: http://simulationhockey.com/showthread.php?tid=91326
Nick Brain Update Thread: http://simulationhockey.com/showthread.php?tid=91332

Awesome analysis man! You're never gonna live down pick 69 are ya Tongue

[Image: wMFFUe4.gif]

Barracuda S56 1st Overall Barracuda

Gary Grease Career Stats: Click Here
Graphics Shop: Click Here

[Image: CsnVET2.png]  Barracuda Russia Barracuda  [Image: c8B2LE3.png]

06-11-2019, 02:08 AMStadiumGambler Wrote: At any rate, Gabriel Johnson was the lone pick for the Steehawks. He could eventually round out a Top 4 with the remainder of the Steelhawks D-core if he progresses well enough, but I'm not as certain on him as I am on Claude or Zizagooney, and I didn't get the mock hype guaranteeing him a Top 2 spot.

You have just made an enemy for life.

Jk bro, great analysis that clearly took a ton of work. Enjoy the 'mucho dinero' it'll get ya lmao

[Image: Gabe-lights.png]
[Image: nMz40Vc.gif]

The mock hype around Gabe Johnson was because the league's worst kept secret was he was going 2OA.

[Image: 58170_v.gif]
[Image: 58170_s.gif]
Thanks to @Carpy48 , @sköldpaddor, @Weretarantula, @Bruins10  and @Wasty  for sigs
Extra special thanks to @Julio Tokolosh for the sick gif one

Nice read man! Enjoyed the insight on the qhole draft class and how the teams did

Good for my knowledge of the league as I contimue to learn more of the teams status

[Image: Bruins10.gif]
Thanks to @enigmatic , @Ragnar and @sulovilen for the sexy Signature

I didn't try to drop my draft stock. @StadiumGambler

[Image: capybar22_600.png]

Quote:@StadiumGambler

Emiko Spector though? Thats a reach. Honestly I get why they made the goalie pick, because they felt they needed an eventual replacement for their boy in blue, Benjamin Blue. The issue is that Biz Nasty and Thorstrom were still on the board. Spector has upside and hes seemed like an okay guy in the Falcons locker room, but I feel they could have gone with the safer picks or just not taken a goalie and waited another year

Created 2 days before deadline and have 27.5 TPE/week. I'd call that a freaking steal.

RETIRED

06-11-2019, 02:08 AMStadiumGambler Wrote: Simon Leblanc is an okay get, might progress into a decent defenseman with some upside, and Halikas and Jaakola round out the longershot portion with some ok potential if they stick with it and stay active.
You take that back. @Briedaqueducis a gem of a human and a wonderful draft pick.

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]

Pretty interesting excerpt about the Panthers draft and I’m pretty sure you’ll eat crow after a couple season. Cleary joining the Panthers was my decision, not his. There is absolutely zero drama or skepticism surrounding Cannellini either, he’ll be a long time standing Panther as well. I’d say good article as other parts are solid, but I wouldn’t agree with almost everything for LA, but that’s okay. Good writing!

[Image: NiclasWastlund26.gif]
#40 Niclas Wastlund - W - VANCOUVER WHALERS Whalers / MINNESOTA MONARCHS Monarchs
[Image: vlPUU9v.png][Image: ammBPLt.png][Image: rnZeas5.png][Image: V9MXpXR.png]

(This post was last modified: 06-11-2019, 10:45 AM by PenKnight.)

I like this but I think the NOLA breakdown is a bit off in the way of ZZ.
What many don't realize is that ZZ not only has a Super Agent in the way of StamkosFan...
but he has another minor agent that handles the day to day activity.
You see this guy (PenKnight) is established and older in his mid 40s.
Dude has plenty of time and resources and can do nothing but commit to making ZZ a top earner.
It doesn't hurt that ZZ's bank account is now at 28M getting ready to push over 37M in the next grading.
Mind you, this is after spending 15.5M for Full Equipment(8.5M), 2 Weeks Training(2M) and Redistribution (5M).
3.5M total for two years in contracts means ZZ earned over 35M in way of kickbacks from Media.
Completely different than someone 18-24 who will have life get in the way.
Time will tell and it will be fun to look back in a few seasons.

06-11-2019, 10:35 AMPenKnight Wrote: I like this but I think the NOLA breakdown is a bit off in the way of ZZ.
What many don't realize is that ZZ not only has a Super Agent in the way of StamkosFan...
but he has another minor agent that handles the day to day activity.
You see this guy (PenKnight) is established and older in his mid 40s.
Dude has plenty of time and resources and can do nothing but commit to making ZZ a top earner.
It doesn't hurt that ZZ's bank account is now at 28M getting ready to push over 37M in the next grading.
Mind you, this is after spending 15.5M for Full Equipment(8.5M), 2 Weeks Training(2M) and Redistribution (5M).
3.5M total for two years in contracts means ZZ earned over 35M in way of kickbacks from Media.
Completely different than someone 18-24 who will have life get in the way.
Time will tell and it will be fun to look back in a few seasons.

The Augment multi confirmed?

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]
(This post was last modified: 06-11-2019, 11:24 AM by PenKnight.)

I expect Jon Forty-One @C9Van  to have a stroke after reading his scouting report!!

23rd: Jon Forty-One - Center - [Image: whalers.png] 
Projected Potential: [LOW] Elite ([LOW] Star? [LOW] Top 6 F? [MED] Top 9 F?)

Fantastic article.

Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights
[Image: VZtEodi.png]
[Image: 1n0REYx.png]

RIP Dangel. See you on the other side, brother

well written, as always.

Player Page || Player Updates || Visual History

06-11-2019, 11:21 AMPenKnight Wrote: I expect Jon Forty-One @C9Van  to have a stroke after reading his scouting report!!

23rd: Jon Forty-One - Center - [Image: whalers.png] 
Projected Potential: [LOW] Elite ([LOW] Star? [LOW] Top 6 F? [MED] Top 9 F?)

"Center, eh? A real thinking emoji. Guess he means center of attention and that I will be. The rest I didn't read cause it didn't matter like him. He should think about being a SHL GM cause he clearly is lacking an IQ."

(Pretty good analysis overall on our draft but my only issue is using an EA style rating when they're historically fucking trash at rating players over most games. Never forget they made Demichelis faster in a FIFA edition when he literally was slower than a snail by the end of his career lol. Still good media <3)

Raptors Proud S67 - S69 Colorado Raptors Captain  Raptors
Uk S57 Forward of the Season Award winner  Uk

Blizzard Now Isaac Forty-One Switzerland

[Image: 41-2.png?ex=65d9e0d0&is=65c76bd0&hm=ada7...1aae5535a&]