Create Account

New Beginnings

Sopron, Hungary

Kaiser.

In the evening summer heat, Sanyi Kocsis sat on the porch of his parents' house with his cellphone in one hand, and a water bottle in the other. He had just spent countless hours catching up with friends from back home, spending time with his parents and, of course, training. There had been one issue however that had been pestering him, and that was his future in the SHL, and whether or not if he was going to be returning to the Minnesota Chiefs.

Hey Kaisey, it's Sanyi.

I figured that, haha, how's Hungary treating you?

It's warm, I guess. I'm supposed to be going to Croatia next week with Erzsi and Sebastian. Not gonna be here for too long. How's San Francisco?

Honestly? It's pretty exhausting. Brings back good memories though.

The two fell silent, the only audible sounds being the distant television blaring inside of the house, and the tranquil nightlife of Sopron in the distance. Both Kocsis and Kaiser knew what was coming next in this brief and non-spontaneous conversation.

I'm not re-signing in Minnesota.

I know. I figured that. I've already been fielding offers to other teams since.

And?

Tampa Bay, Hamilton, New England, and Texas.

How'd Minnesota take it?

Kaiser sighs, flipping through a couple of pages over the phone, clicking his mouse to navigate through his incredibly busy email inbox, before breathing in.

Not... too well? I told 'em we were going to pursue free agency and that they were still welcome to make offers, but that your heart wasn't there. Safe to say they had some choice words for me.

Whatever, it's fine. The offers from those four teams? What are they looking like?

Truthfully? They're all roughly in the same ballpark of either 3-year or 4-year deals, ranging from 5 mil all the way up to 7 mil.

Shit.

You're a commodity brother. Teams aren't gonna shy away from throwing huge cash at a young, up-and-coming defenseman like yourself. Potential rookie of the year too.

I don't feel like it though. I just feel super unfulfilled, like I still have yet to get better.

I mean you're like what? 21 years old now? You're doing pretty damn well for a 21-year old.

Kocsis nodded to himself, taking a swig of water. For someone who had been hard on themselves for the majority of their career, he had to agree with his agent, he was doing fairly well despite the low expectations that had been placed on him.

Believe me when I say, but Texas really wants you.

Seriously? Like how bad?

3 years. 5 mil in year one, 5.5 mil in year two, 6 mil in year three. We're talking guaranteed playoff hockey and probable Challenge Cup contention as well as a spot in their Top 4.

So basically Minnesota, but better?

Kaiser laughed, a clap of the hands being heard on the other end.

Seriously, it's a pretty damn good deal. They're even willing to fly one of their European representatives out to you in Sopron to make the pitch.

Oh.

Yeah, he'd be flying out from Budapest. He's Hungarian, just like you.

And they think that'd make me more inclined to sign?

It's negotiations. They're going to make you feel more comfortable with them. Don't read too much into it.

I-, it's just, I don't know if I can see someone that formal here.

Listen, Sanyi, it's an offer, and it's on the table. You don't have to meet the rep, you just gotta lemme know if you're fine to sign the deal or not. I can let them know as soon as possible, and we can make it official as soon as 3 PM here in LA.

I'll have to think about it.

Do that. Call me back when you make up your mind. In the meantime, if you want me to, I can negotiate with the other teams too.

For sure, thanks Kaisey.

--------

Four Days Later

Dallas, Texas

Anxiety raked through Kocsis's body as he stepped outside of the chartered black Mercedes Benz and came face to face with the offices of the Texas Renegades hockey team. He couldn't remember if he had slept through the countless flights he had to take in order to get here. He felt bad ditching his friends for his job, but Kaiser had insisted that this deal had to be done face-to-face.

They're an old fashioned organization. Their big name signings have to be in person.

Kaiser had said those exact same words when Kocsis had agreed over the phone to sign with the Renegades. Aside from concerned texts from both former teammates, friends, family members, and SHL players Kocsis had trained with, there had been zero communication with anyone. Nothing made Kocsis more nervous however, than situations like this. It didn't help either, that his issues back in juniors had once again emerged into the public spotlight, dug up by a disgruntled and upset sports journalist in Minnesota in order to run a hit article on Kocsis.

"Is Kocsis Even Mentally Prepared Enough for Life in the SHL?"

That had been the title, and it had made Kocsis's blood boil. That had sealed the deal for the youngster that he wasn't coming back. He had spoken briefly with the Chiefs management over the phone and let them bitterly know in four words: "I'm not coming back." Kaiser had already told them, but for Kocsis's sake after the article had been published, he felt like he had to make his feelings known.

And now here he was, in a new state, about to sign for a new team.

A young man, wearing a pair of Raybands, a navy blue dress shirt, white pants and shined brown leather shoes with his hair cropped short, emerged from the office building. He grinned as soon as he saw Kocsis and approached him.

Mr. Kocsis?

That's me.

Kyle McAllister, I'm part of the Texas Renegades management as Director of Player Development. The guys upstairs are excited to talk to you face to face, but I figured I might as well give you a Texas welcome to the team in advance. Oh by the way, Isaac's already upstairs.

Thanks, aha, it's good to be here.

Yeah of course! Just this way.

McAllister turned and entered the building, holding the door open for Kocsis as the two began the walk upstairs.

Usually Candice or Samantha do this, but can I get you anything?

--------

Quote:1,078 Words

PLAYER | UPDATE
[Image: BBr47PN.png]

[Image: m9F8nRF.png]
(This post was last modified: 06-11-2019, 10:04 AM by PenKnight.)

Interesting Read... surprised Minnesota didn't pick me up at 19.
Makes Sense though... Noah Tedla outperformed Zarley Zalapski slightly and had a higher TPE rating.
Probably be the next great D-Man!
Jon Forty-One and I could of tore things up building for the future though.
Course now its gonna be a life long venture with NOLA and man the women and food are amazing down there!!
Would of enjoyed the fishing in Minnesota but Salt Water Fishing should be a new, fun, adventure!
Perhaps even go out with Bubba Gump and do some Shrimping!

Have Fun in Texas and Take care of Sarantez when he joins the squad!
Militia For Life!

I need to remember to read this later. Kosher media stories are some of my favorite reads on the site.

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]

ily benches <3

you're one of the better writers on the SHL, but underrated cause you're such a shitposter most of the time Tongue

Argonauts Stars Battleborn Czechia

06-11-2019, 10:02 AMhhh81 Wrote: I need to remember to read this later. Kosher media stories are some of my favorite reads on the site.

mucho luv to ya buddy ❤❤❤

06-11-2019, 11:12 AMGrapehead Wrote: ily benches <3

you're one of the better writers on the SHL, but underrated cause you're such a shitposter most of the time Tongue

that and I go casper midway through a series ???

PLAYER | UPDATE
[Image: BBr47PN.png]

[Image: m9F8nRF.png]

benches back at it again with the good shit

[Image: bluesfan55.gif]
Armada Steelhawks Switzerland

Armada Specters Wolfpack Steelhawks Forge Switzerland

Scarecrows pride Chiefs Riot Stars Blizzard Ireland

ty to @High Stick King @EvilAllBran and @Ragnar for the sigs

Renegades

psyched to have you

[Image: VkRiFym.png]